You Can't Force the Magic

WaltzingMatilda

Original Poster
We just got back from the world (9/23-9/30) and I have to say it was probably the best (not most relaxing, mind you!) vacation I've ever had. We are a fairly large group - three little girls (twins ages 4 1/2, my daughter age 5) and all the various parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.

Our first full day was spent at MK, and it could not have been more perfect. We arrived for the early EMH (I strongly reccomend this) and the kids played ring - around-the rosy with Snow White, we watched as Stitch rode Dumbo with one lucky little one, we saw Goofy lead a parade of children around Fantasyland. The day just flowed so perfectly, and while I naturally wanted a "magical moment" for my own little girl, I kept telling the others "You can't force the magic". I started out saying this in a joking manner, but soon realized it's true. I realized anyone who is blessed/lucky enough to be there should be thrilled at the opportunity. Just being there with my family was magic enough.

And then...as we stood in line for the Carousel, my daughter and my mom were discussing whether or not she would get to ride Cinderella's horse. I was certainly going to try for the horse, but as we were not first in line I cautioned Emily that she might not get it and she was totally fine with that. Then the CM running the ride (bless her heart forever) walked over, looked right at Emily and said "Who wants to ride Cinderella's horse?" Her little hand shot up in the air and I was almost in shock. She opened the chain and let us on first, led us to the horse with the golden ribbon on it's tail, and then loaded the rest of the ride. I admit it, I was all choked up. I know it seems silly, but I was wishing for it, not expecting it, certainly not feeling entitled to it, and it happened.

I know this is a sappy and long winded post, but I just wanted to say how grateful I was for this moment. But even if it never happened, this still would have been a wonderful trip.

the-reason14

Aww, thats very nice and sweet. Im glad you got that extra special magical moment. Sometimes in our lives we need that extra magic, and Im glad to hear that you got it.

Epcot82Guy

Wonderful story. Thanks for sharing. I really think people with this perspective are very deserving of the extra magic they receive. I hope the YOMD celebration highlights this (and it seems hte CMs have been trained to do so). It should be a surprising gift, not an attained goal. The latter sets someone up for disaster whereas your approach sets someone up for either a good time or an even greater memory. That's a pretty win-win to me, even if it does take some mental training going in. Glad you had an extra magical day! :wave:

Rozzie

We just got back from the world (9/23-9/30) and I have to say it was probably the best (not most relaxing, mind you!) vacation I've ever had. We are a fairly large group - three little girls (twins ages 4 1/2, my daughter age 5) and all the various parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.

Our first full day was spent at MK, and it could not have been more perfect. We arrived for the early EMH (I strongly reccomend this) and the kids played ring - around-the rosy with Snow White, we watched as Stitch rode Dumbo with one lucky little one, we saw Goofy lead a parade of children around Fantasyland. The day just flowed so perfectly, and while I naturally wanted a "magical moment" for my own little girl, I kept telling the others "You can't force the magic". I started out saying this in a joking manner, but soon realized it's true. I realized anyone who is blessed/lucky enough to be there should be thrilled at the opportunity. Just being there with my family was magic enough.

And then...as we stood in line for the Carousel, my daughter and my mom were discussing whether or not she would get to ride Cinderella's horse. I was certainly going to try for the horse, but as we were not first in line I cautioned Emily that she might not get it and she was totally fine with that. Then the CM running the ride (bless her heart forever) walked over, looked right at Emily and said "Who wants to ride Cinderella's horse?" Her little hand shot up in the air and I was almost in shock. She opened the chain and let us on first, led us to the horse with the golden ribbon on it's tail, and then loaded the rest of the ride. I admit it, I was all choked up. I know it seems silly, but I was wishing for it, not expecting it, certainly not feeling entitled to it, and it happened.

I know this is a sappy and long winded post, but I just wanted to say how grateful I was for this moment. But even if it never happened, this still would have been a wonderful trip.

Any idea who the Cast Member was running the Carrousel?

kcnole

That's my biggest complaint about this celebration. To me just being in the parks is a magical experience. Now Disney is telling its customers that that's not enough, that to truly have a magical day, you've got to win one of the prizes from us to be magical. For me it won't bother me, but there's going to be a lot of families there who will see people all around them winning prizes and "Experiencing the magic" and they'll go home and say, that was nice, but it sure would have been nice if we could have had a magical moment. They'll be so caught up in the contrived magic that Disney is pushing out that they'll miss the true thing.

DisneyFanLS

I'm So glad that your little girl got to experience her "magical moment"!!! And I too agree that just being at Walt Disney World is a magical experience in itself....we try to go every year....my better half and I are such HUGE Disney (and Disney World) fans!!! She says I still get this "little kid" look on my face every time we take our first stroll (of that particular trip) down Main Street USA!!! GOSH I MISS IT!!! I WANNA GO!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cry: :sohappy:

DiPSU224

What a wonderful moment. Thanks for sharing :)

Was Snow White, Goofy and Stitch riding Dumbo something new they started for the YOMD with characters doing more than just meet n greets, or is this something that usually happens on EMH mornings?

metscool

Was the CM good looking? How old did see look?

That was a great story. I can't believe that I have not found one person on this website. Expect for the meeting last week.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I could fill the seven seas lagoon with the tears of joy that I have shed at WDW thanks to cast members like that.

pacochran

What a really great Story and :sohappy: for the CM.

I have to agree with others to me just being at WDW is Magic enough. To my family and I just being there takes us away from all our worries and responsibilities. If something else happens all the better, but it doesn't have to, to be magical.

We can't wait for the magic, especially this year as my wife's sister has been extremely ill, and she has no one else and has custody of special needs nephew, another sister on good friday said I'm not dealling with this anymore, and has not helped or even called:fork: , so it has fallen on my wife to do most everything, with some help from me. Our kids have been really wonderful thru the whole thing, but we are just so looking forward to enjoying the magic and at least for 4 days, taking us away from our everyday worries.

Knett

I did the exact same thing on my last trip to WDW from 9-2 to 9-11-06, we did the EMH for MK, but it wasn't EMH. What the OP is talking about is Magical Beginnings, which Disney just started recently. It's where Fantasyland opens an hour early, but only for those families with little ones. Characters are out, and play games and/or ride the rides with the kids. They do not sign autographs in this time. I whole-heartedly agree that everyone should take their kids to this as it is fantastic!

Now, on to my story about Magical Beginnings. I had my daughter there who is 8, and my niece who is 2 there. Stitch, Mickey, and Pluto were playing duck duck goose with my two, and a few others. Stitch, in true character, when he would be picked , woud cut through the circle, and cheat to catch whoever picked him. :lol:

Then, when my sister stayed with my daughter, I went with my niece who had found Goofy. Goofy takes her hand, and starts walking with her. Had no idea what he was gonna do. Goofy walked her all the way from near Dumbo, to the Pooh playground, and handed her over to Pooh, who gave her a big hug. It was so cute.

Next thing I know, I hear my sister calling me. I get my niece, and quick step to see what my sister was calling me for. Next thing I know, I see the Dumbo ride going, and on it I see my daughter had somehow gotten Stitch to ride with her. I asked my daughter what he was doing on the ride. She said that he was "fighting" with her over the control to move Dumbo up and down! :lol:
Stitch was truly in character that morning.

The kids had so much fun, we did it a 2nd time. It's really a great thing, and hopefully, something they will continue. Saw lots of characters riding the rides with kids. Oh, and every ride in that hour was practically walk-on. Sorry for the long post!:lookaroun

Raven66

Both stories are very sweet. There doesn't have to be a celebration going to have a "magical moment". I agree with the others, just being there is magical, but when something special happens, it always makes you a little teary.:)

This past trip in Feb. Goofy rode the barnstormer when it first opened for the day. I thought that was so cool.

joanna71985

What a wonderful moment. Thanks for sharing :)

Was Snow White, Goofy and Stitch riding Dumbo something new they started for the YOMD with characters doing more than just meet n greets, or is this something that usually happens on EMH mornings?

This was something that happened for the Magical Beginnings, but it ended Sept. 29th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom