Trip Report You Are Braver Than You Believe, Stronger Than You Seem, And Smarter Than ... Nope. Piglet Goes Dopey

Hi everyone, welcome to my trip report. I’ve been reading lots of other reports and have really enjoyed them so thought I’d join in the fun. We’ve been back home for a week now, photos are sorted and it’s about time I got round to doing this.

I did write a pre-trip report (A Dopey Dream) but I’m a bit technically challenged and don’t know how to link it, so I’ll go over a few details.

Who:

3D238753-070D-4D33-9FD3-B60176AD043E.jpeg
A00A438E-80FC-4E1D-BA68-875A160D93E7.jpeg

Me, Sharon aka Piglet. About to celebrate a scary big birthday (50) next month. This was one of the reasons for the trip. Husband, Darren, older than me 😂. Alice, turned 13 while we were there, and Lexi, 10. We live in Milton Keynes, UK and are DVC members. One day I will find a photo of all of us together that isn’t completely hideous.

Where and When:

Saratoga Springs Resort January 1st to January 13th
Cruising on the Disney Dream January 13th to January

Extras bits:

While we were there I just happened to run a couple of little races. 5k, 10k, half marathon, first ever full marathon. Just the sort of thing that normal people do while they’re on holiday.

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
Sunday 12th January: Marathon Day (cont)

After my extended stop at the aid station I managed to get myself going again. After the Polynesian Resort the route turned off towards Animal Kingdom onto what I think is a backstage road, called Bear Island Road. This was the nicest road section of the race, along the edge of the Palm Golf Course with trees lining both sides of the road.

l
8E1F2082-0B26-47D5-9E90-6CF902D366AC.png

Unfortunately the trees weren’t close enough to the road to provide any shade and even though it wasn’t long past 8 o’clock it was already feeling extremely hot. When I run long races I follow the Jeff Galloway run/walk intervals method where I run for 4:30 minutes/ walk 0:30. I was still managing to stick to this although my running intervals had slowed down a bit because of the heat.

As the route got closer to Animal Kingdom it went past the least scenic (and possibly the smelliest) part of the race, the wastewater treatment area. I guess it’s hard to completely avoid the more real world aspects of Disney when you have to use some backstage areas.

4787FF9A-CE5B-4C3C-85B3-C04615F4AC9C.png

And then on into Animal Kingdom.

FAC4E47C-4165-45F5-9350-0CFEF97DDE38.png

This had been where I was hoping to stop for a beer at Thirsty River, but with my stomach acting up I didn’t really feel like it any more 😭. So I carried on plodding, the route went through Asia and Dinoland before exiting. There were lots of CMs cheering on the runners and I know that once the park opens guests usually cheer as well but I was there just a bit before park opening, around 8.45.

A couple of photos going through Animal Kingdom.

1C2B8252-42A7-41AD-9D1A-3FF5AA632A0E.jpeg

C637FC0D-4869-4D90-ADA9-FB92C4D174F2.jpeg

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster

Exiting Animal Kingdom was about 17 miles into the race, so down to single digit miles to go. The aid station just after leaving the park was one I’d been looking forward to because it had real food as well, bananas. I’d only had some gummy sweets and a gel up to then so that banana was really good.

It was another 3 miles of road then to get to Blizzard Beach, with another banana station on the way. I was doing my best to stick to my run/walk intervals but the heat was absolutely brutal by now and once I’d started a walk break it was quite hard to get running again. I finally got to Blizzard Beach just after the 20 mile point, so only 6.2 miles (or 10k to go). I’ve heard from experienced marathon runners that a marathon can be broken into 2 halves, the first 20 miles and then the rest, where you will hit a wall and have to dig in to every bit of physical and mental strength that you have. This is so true, running around the Blizzard Beach parking lot to get into the park was horrible, I was having to add in extra walking breaks by now. The park itself wasn’t too bad because there were a few shady spots but it was so tempting to jump in the lazy river for a quick cool off.

I don’t know how the woman in yellow looks so fresh and happy in the photo. I look exactly how I felt, melting and uncomfortable and not in the mood to wave for the camera.

396F2976-E8CD-4724-ABC0-04B994261B92.jpeg

Leaving Blizzard Beach was another welcome aid station. They were starting to hand out bags of ice to the runners. It felt absolutely wonderful.

Up until just over a week ago when I started writing my first post about marathon day, I had been convinced in my head that the next part of the race on the road towards Hollywood Studios was about 3 miles. It’s only when I looked at the course map again that I realised it was only just over a mile. That should give an idea of quite how bad that mile was, the hardest mile I have ever run, and I got through it with the help of a lovely man called Ken.

The mile of road towards the Studios was absolute hell. No shade, no breeze, high humidity and blazing sun just bouncing off the road surface. Think what it’s like walking down Main Street in the middle of summer, then imagine trying to run in it. I don’t know whether I looked like I needed help at that point or if it was just coincidence, but Ken started running next to me and chatted to me all the way. I couldn’t run for more than a minute at a time by now and Ken stopped and took every walk break with me. I kept apologising for slowing him down, he said he was glad of the company for a while. I think it was this stretch of road that they were handing out cold, wet sponges, I remember squeezing one out over my head at some point.

After what felt like an hour on that road we finally got to Hollywood Studios, this was at about the 23 mile point. The route entered by the Hollywood Hills Amphitheatre and I said goodbye and thank you to Ken and stopped at the big bathrooms there. And then I sat on the toilet and cried. I didn’t want to run anymore, I was so hot and being inside in the AC felt really good. I had to give myself a really good talking to to make myself get up and get out of there, I was absolutely not going to fail with only 3 miles to go even if I had to walk the rest of the way. And then I had to laugh at myself. Pulling up my shorts I realised that they were back to front. Yes, I had run 23 miles of a marathon with my shorts on backwards 😂.

I splashed my face with water and went outside to face the rest of the race.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
My laugh is for your shorts story. I came back in from a run recently and realized my t-shirt was inside out 😉

Ken is what the “true” running community is to me - very generous people. I was once in a race here and a man mistook my walk break for me struggling to continue (there are times I have struggled, but that particular time I was actually just in the rhythm of my run/walk and doing ok). He was so encouraging that I cut my walk break short just to not hold him back; once he saw me running he went on his way. Or the man who slowed to my speed while running through a field at nightfall so that I would benefit from his headlamp.

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
My laugh is for your shorts story. I came back in from a run recently and realized my t-shirt was inside out 😉

Ken is what the “true” running community is to me - very generous people. I was once in a race here and a man mistook my walk break for me struggling to continue (there are times I have struggled, but that particular time I was actually just in the rhythm of my run/walk and doing ok). He was so encouraging that I cut my walk break short just to not hold him back; once he saw me running he went on his way. Or the man who slowed to my speed while running through a field at nightfall so that I would benefit from his headlamp.
The annoying thing about the shorts was that when I told Darren about it he said that he’d noticed before the race that they looked odd, the logo was on the back. But he didn’t say anything because he assumed he knew what I was doing.

Run/walk isn’t very common here so I’ve quite often been asked in races if I’m ok. The majority of runners are really such supportive people. I do wish I could have seen Ken afterwards to thank him, what he did really meant a lot to me.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
The annoying thing about the shorts was that when I told Darren about it he said that he’d noticed before the race that they looked odd, the logo was on the back. But he didn’t say anything because he assumed he knew what I was doing.

Run/walk isn’t very common here so I’ve quite often been asked in races if I’m ok. The majority of runners are really such supportive people. I do wish I could have seen Ken afterwards to thank him, what he did really meant a lot to me.

My philosophy on thanking someone like Ken is to pay it forward and be there to help out another runner in need.

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster

The race only went through a tiny bit of Hollywood Studios, the park was fully open by now so lots of cheering for the runners. I’ve heard that quite a few runners step out of the race at this point to ride Tower of Terror or Rock n Roller Coaster. The route went down Sunset Boulevard then turned left by Beauty and the Beast taking a backstage route out of the park.

A2220A76-B4D1-4633-B7E8-CD22F67E9583.png

By now all idea of my run/walk intervals were completely gone. It was just one foot in front of another, run (more of a shuffle) for as long as I could, then walk until I felt like I could run again. There had been a food station on the way in to the park that was handing out chocolates, Hershey’s kisses I think, and I’d taken a couple. I really wish I hadn’t, I didn’t enjoy them at all they were far too sweet, I would have preferred another banana. And I couldn’t get rid of the taste because there wasn’t another water stop until the Boardwalk.

Even though I was struggling at no point did I feel nauseous or spacey in any way. I was alert and could hold a conversation at all times during the race. That was more than could be said for a lot of other runners and it was on the path between the Studios and the Boardwalk that I saw the worst case of this. A youngish guy, maybe in his 30s, was walking near me and he looked absolutely terrible. He was glassy eyed, swaying and stumbling. Lots of people around him were asking him if was ok, one of the volunteers at the water stop came over to him and was calling him by name, trying to engage him in conversation. But he just stared right through everyone and ignored them. Then he just suddenly started running again. I didn’t see him again, and I really hope he was ok.

Lots more spectators on the whole of the route from the Studios to Epcot. The runners really get a lot of support.

Just after leaving the Studios I’d got a message from Darren that he was waiting with the girls at World Showcase so that really spurred me on. I was really looking forward to seeing them. So just around the Boardwalk and a backstage route into Epcot.

34A3AFE9-5335-4DDD-A292-7107D2B7E69F.png

Running into World Showcase at the UK pavilion it was absolutely packed with people and I couldn’t see them at first. Then right near the Rose and Crown there they were, I was so happy to see them and there were some tears.

5C695EAE-4987-4947-9E92-B8BFC2BB689E.jpeg

And then it was just a matter of getting around World Showcase, only a mile to go.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I am just in awe hearing about your marathon experience. I’ll stick with half marathons myself but knowing what that takes out of me, I have the utmost respect for those disciplined enough to do the training to complete a marathon!

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
I am just in awe hearing about your marathon experience. I’ll stick with half marathons myself but knowing what that takes out of me, I have the utmost respect for those disciplined enough to do the training to complete a marathon!
Are you sure you’re not even a little bit tempted to run one 😉? Seriously though it is a huge commitment to train for a marathon, it does take over your life a bit.

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster

I left Darren and the girls to begin my slow trek around World Showcase. They were going to try to rush straight out of the park to get to the finish line in time to see me. I knew I was way outside the time goal of 5 hours that I’d set myself, I remember being passed by the 5 hour pacing group before I’d got to Hollywood Studios. There were a few photographers around here to capture the agony of the last mile. At least I’ve got my shorts on the right way round for this photo 😂

2359BA0E-8850-4E42-B0C9-2DB88DB687AA.jpeg

It was around here that I heard my third piece of memorable music. And what else could it be than “Go The Distance”. Even now, months later, hearing the words “I know every mile would be worth my while” really gets to me.

So I ran/shuffled/walked my way around, finally heading out backstage in Mexico. It was just around here that my watch hit the 26.2 mark, and I joked to the runners next to me that I was stopping now because I’d finished my marathon. No response, I guess they didn’t find it funny.

And there it was, the finish line. Almost five and a half hours after I’d started, I’d completed one of the hardest things I had ever done in my life. I crossed that line, and I was a marathon runner.

C7670CC0-D93F-4D24-87CB-8A43743D1C62.jpeg

D6206E61-06EC-495D-AAF2-4A4DFEDAA73C.jpeg

Some very welcome cooling towels were being handed out at the finish line, they felt so good. I got my marathon medal then had to go to another area to check that I’d completed all the races, and I was given my Goofy and Dopey medals. A quick stop for a photo before finding the family.

5077B909-1EDC-499F-B973-DD47BF7CD95D.jpeg

Then off to the family reunion area. Darren and the girls were just arriving. They hadn’t made it to the finish line in time, Darren had tried to get the girls to run across the parking lot but apparently it was too hot to run. Really, I hadn’t noticed 😂. They’d brought my other medals with them so I could get a photo.

0E9E66D1-1556-4B43-9E19-F50511F8E207.jpeg

And that’s it, Dopey complete. Now time for a super relaxing cruise.

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
Some post race info

A few things that learned about after the race.

I believe that the 2020 WDW Marathon was the hottest on record, high 80s with 90%+ humidity. The race was red flagged, to indicate potentially dangerous conditions, I think just before I finished around 11 o’clock. Looking at the race results there were runners out on the course for another 2 hours or more after this. To minimise the time spent on the course, and to reduce the likelihood of stopping the race, runDisney officials made the decision to shorten the course for the later runners. The Blizzard Beach section was removed, shortening the race by about 2 miles. Even then I’ve read rumours that the last aid station was borderline on changing to black flag status and that the last runners came through just in time.

RememberWhen

I left Darren and the girls to begin my slow trek around World Showcase. They were going to try to rush straight out of the park to get to the finish line in time to see me. I knew I was way outside the time goal of 5 hours that I’d set myself, I remember being passed by the 5 hour pacing group before I’d got to Hollywood Studios. There were a few photographers around here to capture the agony of the last mile. At least I’ve got my shorts on the right way round for this photo 😂

View attachment 474628

It was around here that I heard my third piece of memorable music. And what else could it be than “Go The Distance”. Even now, months later, hearing the words “I know every mile would be worth my while” really gets to me.

So I ran/shuffled/walked my way around, finally heading out backstage in Mexico. It was just around here that my watch hit the 26.2 mark, and I joked to the runners next to me that I was stopping now because I’d finished my marathon. No response, I guess they didn’t find it funny.

And there it was, the finish line. Almost five and a half hours after I’d started, I’d completed one of the hardest things I had ever done in my life. I crossed that line, and I was a marathon runner.

View attachment 474630

View attachment 474629

Some very welcome cooling towels were being handed out at the finish line, they felt so good. I got my marathon medal then had to go to another area to check that I’d completed all the races, and I was given my Goofy and Dopey medals. A quick stop for a photo before finding the family.

View attachment 474631

Then off to the family reunion area. Darren and the girls were just arriving. They hadn’t made it to the finish line in time, Darren had tried to get the girls to run across the parking lot but apparently it was too hot to run. Really, I hadn’t noticed 😂. They’d brought my other medals with them so I could get a photo.

View attachment 474632

And that’s it, Dopey complete. Now time for a super relaxing cruise.

So awesome! Thank you for this amazing journey. You’re really very inspiring. I’m definitely thinking to myself, “well, maybe I could do that someday...”

Thanks for the awesome reporting! Can’t wait to hear about the cruise!!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Are you sure you’re not even a little bit tempted to run one 😉? Seriously though it is a huge commitment to train for a marathon, it does take over your life a bit.

No. I started running for my 50th, and had never been a very athletic person before that, so I find the half marathon distance enough of a challenge and still time consuming in terms of training. I will do the 10k and half marathon challenge this year, because I want a shiny medal on my birthday 😊

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
So awesome! Thank you for this amazing journey. You’re really very inspiring. I’m definitely thinking to myself, “well, maybe I could do that someday...”

Thanks for the awesome reporting! Can’t wait to hear about the cruise!!
Thank you for the kind words, that’s so lovely of you. I’ve very much become a believer that running is one of the most inclusive sports, from the 6 minute to the 16 minute mile runner everyone is just putting one foot in front of another and achieving awesome things.

Just a bit more to post about marathon day and then on to the amazing cruise.

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
No. I started running for my 50th, and had never been a very athletic person before that, so I find the half marathon distance enough of a challenge and still time consuming in terms of training. I will do the 10k and half marathon challenge this year, because I want a shiny medal on my birthday 😊
Shiny medals are an awesome birthday present to yourself. Dopey was mine, my 50th was in February. I completely understand sticking to halfs and below, I’ve struggled to fit in the training that I need to do, especially during the winter with the dark nights.

I was never an athletic person myself and I always felt a bit left out of things. Darren has always been sporty, he sprints for the old people team 😂, at our local athletic club, and Alice and Lexi are both pretty fast distance runners for their age. What I’ve discovered in my running journey is that I’m never going to be particularly fast but that I’m very good at plodding for a really long time. So I’m going to continue with marathon running and am looking at moving up to maybe running an ultra marathon next year 😲

AuntAng

I have loved following along with your report! You have really inspired me to shoot for more than my “big” goal of just running a full in the next couple of years (I ran my first half last year). In particular, I love the sentiment of the races being a gift to yourself. I turn 45 this year and have two boys (the youngest is 3) and it’s so hard to find the time to adequately train. But the feeling of accomplishing running goals is just so sweet and it really is a gift.

Now I can’t fathom shooting for an ultra, but that’s awesome!!!!

Loco_driver

I really am amazed at your running. I’ve been trying to pick up on my running lately. I’m lucky to get 5 miles done though! Of course I think we’re under a constant red flag or black flag warning here! I’d go running at night, but I hate snakes and need to be able to see them! 🤣 Really awesome that you competed the dopey! Looking forward to reading about the cruise!

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
I have loved following along with your report! You have really inspired me to shoot for more than my “big” goal of just running a full in the next couple of years (I ran my first half last year). In particular, I love the sentiment of the races being a gift to yourself. I turn 45 this year and have two boys (the youngest is 3) and it’s so hard to find the time to adequately train. But the feeling of accomplishing running goals is just so sweet and it really is a gift.

Now I can’t fathom shooting for an ultra, but that’s awesome!!!!
Thank you and well done on the half. I did find it a big step up training wise to a marathon particularly on long run day. For half training it was just up to 2 hours for the run then for the marathon training it pretty much took up all of Sunday. Because you need to start to factor in recovery time after the long run, I would be running anywhere up to 4 hours and then seriously needed a big nap afterwards.

You’re right though the feeling of accomplishment is amazing.

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
I really am amazed at your running. I’ve been trying to pick up on my running lately. I’m lucky to get 5 miles done though! Of course I think we’re under a constant red flag or black flag warning here! I’d go running at night, but I hate snakes and need to be able to see them! 🤣 Really awesome that you competed the dopey! Looking forward to reading about the cruise!
Thank you. I don’t think I’d manage a mile in the sort of heat you get, isn’t it regularly triple digits there? It got up to about 80 here last weekend and I ended up cutting my run short, I still don’t know how I managed the heat for Dopey. Snakes 😱😱, I’m terrified of those, luckily they’re super rare here. The worst thing I get is the occasional curious cow following me, although they can be quite scary sometimes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom