Pre-Trip Yippee! It's a Party of 3!

It feels a tad silly to start this pre-trip report considering how little I know about:
1) Babies
2) Disney with Babies
3) Disney next fall

Yet here I am. A little nervous, pretty clueless, but very, very excited. Our little Ohana is going to Disney World!

Who: Mommy Me, Daddy J, and our BABY BOY!

Our little mouseketeer is 6 months old. He will be 15 months at time of travel. He just started solids, can sit up by himself, and is rapidly outgrowing all the cute outfits I bought him from the Disney Store. Do those sizes run small or is my child just a giant?

When: August-September 2019 – 8 days & 7 nights.

Our standard vision for this trip would be 2 Magic Kingdom days, 2 Epcot days, 1 Hollywood Studios day, 1 Animal Kingdom day, and 2 non park days for arrival and rest. However, this trip might have to fall under the 'go with the flow' school of thought. J and I have never missed a day of rope drop in our Disney lives, so naturally, I’ve needed some reality checks as I've been envisioning things in my head, which I do quite often.

It's very different... as life in general has been for the past six months. Oh, but it's so wonderful! I can’t believe that the last time we were at Disney, we were wishing for much for our little family to come true. It was all meant to be!

Where: Pop Century Resort

We did the unthinkable. No, I’m not talking about making the leap to a Moderate/Deluxe resort. I mean that we did one of those blind-hotel-booking experiences and ended up scoring just the “Value” we wanted for ~$60/night. Yippee!!! But also, PHEW. J and I clenched each other’s hands for dear life when we hit that Book button. I am most definitely NOT the person who takes risks to save a few bucks… but these savings were just unprecedented in our books. We were previously thinking we’d save like $100 max off All Star Movies with whatever room discount Disney eventually came out with. But now, Pop Century! The resort J and I stayed at on our first trip together. And our Disneymoon. And now Baby’s 1st Resort.

We're over the moon. Hourglass Lake, Art of Animation, and Everything Pop here we come!

Also suddenly very invested in the Skyliner progress.

What??? Pretty much everything else.

Dining: Who googles ‘What do 15 months old eat at Walt Disney World?’ …Oh yeah, me neither. (And yes, I am aware that my child is ‘1 year old’ and not ‘15 months’ or ‘65 weeks old’).

Dining is the center of our Disney planning universe, but it’s hard for us to wrap our head around that one this time around. Who knows what our eating situation will be like in a year? Not me! All I know is there is one reservation I-MUST-HAVE and that is Crystal Palace. We're a Winnie the Pooh household and I am just melting at the thought of him meeting that silly ol’ bear! And having the ability to pick and choose things from the buffet for Baby to eat off our plates is a bonus, too. Otherwise, we think that while Baby is still too young to really know what’s going on (i.e. have opinions), we should visit some restaurants for food/experiences we want too, regardless of whether or not the atmosphere is tailor-made for a kid. I'm also thinking Quick Service will be our friend so we're not tied to so many reservations, but also, I have this really strong desire to go to Pinocchio's Village Haus for atmosphere now...

FPs: This is tricky because it puts us on a schedule and I’m thinking that once we enter the park, that schedule goes POOF! but we’ll follow as we please. The few other attractions that I’ve been having literal dreams about: Small World, Peter Pan, Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Living with the Land, The Seas with Nemo and Friends, and Kilimanjaro Safari Ride. Really, I just can’t wait for him to sit in between us in a flying pirate ship or clammobile. I’m getting those first-time butterflies all over again.

Otherwise, what in the world is going on in the World? I’m positive we will miss the opening of Star Wars Land, which is fine by me. Toy Story Land will be new to us, but truth be told, I’m more interested in wandering the land itself moreso than riding Slinky Dog or Swirling Saucers. Maybe J and I will take turns, but I’m not really itching to ride either by myself. Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, will thou be open? With the exception of Flight of Passage, we really only want to choose FPs for attractions that all three of us could do together. Speaking of which, would you take a 1 year old on Toy Story Mania? Wondering if it’s too intense motion-wise or if I’m being crazy-protective Mom.

Lastly, will I ever see Illuminations again? If I do, will we even make it to 9pm?

Packing: Things I think about: should Baby be wearing onesies or shirts/shorts? Onesies may be best because we'll still be in diapers, but then I have so many requirements like 'must have a Disney character on it' and 'must be a jumper/creeper-styled onesie' so his tender little bum doesn't make skin-to-seat contact. Oh, and lots of wipes and hand sanitizer. J tells me I need to let the germaphobia go...

Honestly, I probably shouldn’t think so hard into it. His clothes will probably get destroyed within a matter of minutes. But I’ve already started a healthy collection of 18 month sized Disney tshirts I hope to put to good use!

What else? Diapers, wipes, change of clothes, bottles or sippy cups, and probably a million other crucial things I am missing or don't even know exist. Like, I just discovered that there is such thing as water diapers for pool time exist today. Something tells me we will need a bigger park bag this time around, guys.

We will be flying (a whole ‘nother beast right there) and we definitely plan to bring a stroller instead of renting in the parks. J thinks we should protect ours from the elements of a Disney vacation and rent from a company for the entirety of our trip. Not sure I feel strongly either way… I just want my baby to be comfortable. But I’ll let him take the reins on that one. Since, you know, he’ll be the one carrying it all the time.

I know no amount of advice or research can possibly prepare us for what’s to come, but I figured I can collect a few gems here and there that will pay off in one way or another. Maybe someone out there has experiences they’d like to share with me as I figure this whole ‘parenting thing’ out over the next year. That should help pass the time since I got a ton of that on my hands as well, right?

Well, this pre-trip report kind of turned into a brain dump for me… but I’m sure I will look back at this thread with fondness at how uneducated and unrealistic I was, yet nevertheless, so happy.

And finally...

Why? Because Disney is and has always been, for me, the happiest place made complete with the people I love. Growing up, I never knew what I wanted to do with my life other than have a family and take my children to Walt Disney World. And now, our Party of 2 has become a Party of 3, and this new chapter of our story is just getting started!

Thanks for reading!

belledream

Original Poster
With the announcement of the MNSSHP dates, my Disney brain was set loose as I attempted to finalize our itinerary without having official park hours released. Now I know what days to avoid Magic Kingdom so can try to watch Happily Ever After! Now c'mon Disney... announce when Illuminations is ending... and give us lots of clearance so I'm not trying to drag a one year old to watch the very last show with everyone else and THEIR mother. And I don't know how I'll do it, but if I need to extend our trip to see it, I just might.

Anyways, at first, I thought this preliminary planning would just be a silly little exercise for my Disney planning-deprived self, but it ended up opening up my eyes to a lot of considerations to make. My Disney brain has never crossed over into any other realm schools of thought besides MAXIMIZE-PARK-TIME. Obviously, our story has changed forever! And as you'll see, I love me a good storyline...

Day 1: Arrival Day
Relax, unwind, and get our act together for the upcoming days in the parks. Probably just hang around the hotel, but may make a dinner reservation at another resort depending on what time we arrive. We usually took the earliest flight possible and got to Orlando early in the morning, so our room was never ready when we arrived. Wasn't important to us back then, but definitely would be preferable now. Will have to evaluate flight times/cost when it's time to book. But a relaxing evening and early sleep will be good for all.

Day 2: Magic Kingdom
Even though he doesn't know it, Baby's introduction to Walt Disney World has to begin here. It just doesn't feel right starting anywhere else. I originally thought about having our first dinner at Crystal Palace be on this day, AND stay to watch Happily Ever After, but I wonder if that's just way too much stimulation for our first day. TBD.

Day 3: Hollywood Studios
The main takeaway from the planning exercise was J pointing out that we should avoid AM EMHs because 1) we're not focusing on rides so it semi-defeats the purpose and 2) we don't want to make ourselves rush in the morning and 3) if we miss it, the park will already be more crowded with everyone who did make it. It was a concept foreign to me but it made so much sense... gahh, what a genius! A plain ol' day at the park, and I doubt we'll stay any later than dinner, if that. Don't care for Fantasmic or A Galactic Spectacular this time. Just want to see what's new and have a slow day.

Day 4: Epcot
Avoiding a Food & Wine weekend and hopefully catching Illuminations. Otherwise, you will probably find us at The Seas with Nemo and Friends all morning. I'm not mad about it.

Day 5: Animal Kingdom
I'm so looking forward to taking a child to AK. I get butterflies thinking about it. Between all the trails and shows, I have high hopes for this day! Don't plan to stay for any nighttime entertainment, so hopefully not wearing Baby out. Which leads me to...

Day 6: Magic Kingdom
Hey, where did that rest day go? My inability to stick to a Non Park day started to creep in as I was allotting the days. If we rested today and then ended our trip at MK again, that only left us with one full day at Magic Kingdom, and that ain't right! So...this is likely turning into a "full" MK day, with our rest day turning into more of rest [half] days on Day 3: HS and Day 5: AK. I also figured in my inexperienced mind, that instead of going 'hard' for 4 days straight and then taking a day off, it's probably (okay, definitely) more feasible to take each day more slowly than I originally thought. Sometimes I just need to talk it out!

But yeah, Round 2 at MK. Maybe Crystal Palace on this day instead, to space out all the highlights. Maybe dinner at one of the monorail resorts. (This has helped me figure out where and how many ADRs we will actually need).

Day 7: Epcot
Though there might be more activity to be had with a second AK day, we decided to go with Epcot for the repeat so we can really take our time, do both of the ADRs we've been eyeing, or maybe step out for some resort hopping relaxation... as is tradition. However, we're comfortable with playing it by ear and switching course midstream if desired!

Day 8: Magic Kingdom
Last day before an evening flight home. Baby's 1st Trip in the books, cover to cover, and to be read over and over again for years to come!

So whatcha think? Sounds like a lot, I know. I didn't allude to 'leaving the park and going back to take naps' and such, but totally able and willing to do that as well. I just wanted to get my ducks somewhat in a row. Like I said, sometimes I just need to talk it out!

Ending this post with one of my first purchases in preparation for the trip... more important than any actual essential one could find on a packing list:
image_2ae1ed07.jpeg

Spash007

Something we love to do ever since our 1st trip with our daughter is to start off MK day (which we like to do the first day too) with a FP to meet Mickey. It's at the beginning so you can plan it, and I can't imagine waiting in that line with a young kid. Plus just sentimental reasons make it nice

I also just skimmed the rest, so maybe it was mentioned, but I also recommend ordering food/suppliers to your room using instacart and then bring those to the parks. Pouches, those little Gerber puffs, cheerios, etc. If you are in line he can entertain himself, and no use spending $$$ on something that he'll just eat part of. We have a backpack by a company called Arctic Zone that has a cooler compartment, and it isn't heavy like I thought a cooler bag would be (also had a few other compartments of different sizes that were good to fit diapers, snacks, medicines/sunblock etc). This was perfect for food, milk, cold waters for us, etc. We even started putting bags of ice in it, along with some cooling towels to make sure we all stayed cool.

belledream

Original Poster
Something we love to do ever since our 1st trip with our daughter is to start off MK day (which we like to do the first day too) with a FP to meet Mickey. It's at the beginning so you can plan it, and I can't imagine waiting in that line with a young kid. Plus just sentimental reasons make it nice

I also just skimmed the rest, so maybe it was mentioned, but I also recommend ordering food/suppliers to your room using instacart and then bring those to the parks. Pouches, those little Gerber puffs, cheerios, etc. If you are in line he can entertain himself, and no use spending $$$ on something that he'll just eat part of. We have a backpack by a company called Arctic Zone that has a cooler compartment, and it isn't heavy like I thought a cooler bag would be (also had a few other compartments of different sizes that were good to fit diapers, snacks, medicines/sunblock etc). This was perfect for food, milk, cold waters for us, etc. We even started putting bags of ice in it, along with some cooling towels to make sure we all stayed cool.
Great tips - thank you! It did cross our minds that we will indeed need to order some items and have them delivered to the resort because I certainly can't bring a week's worth of diapers with me! J says Amazon delivers, will make him look into that. Love the idea of the cooler backpack too!

We definitely plan to meet Mickey (and now Minnie apparently!) on our first day. Can't imagine a better way to introduce him to his pal that he sees all around the house and on his clothes. ;) It's on the FP list for sure.

joshsprincess921

Great tips - thank you! It did cross our minds that we will indeed need to order some items and have them delivered to the resort because I certainly can't bring a week's worth of diapers with me! J says Amazon delivers, will make him look into that. Love the idea of the cooler backpack too!

We definitely plan to meet Mickey (and now Minnie apparently!) on our first day. Can't imagine a better way to introduce him to his pal that he sees all around the house and on his clothes. ;) It's on the FP list for sure.

I have ordered through Amazon Prime Now a couple times and it works great. They deliver to your resort within a couple hours.

PortOrleans

It feels a tad silly to start this pre-trip report considering how little I know about:
1) Babies
2) Disney with Babies
3) Disney next fall

Yet here I am. A little nervous, pretty clueless, but very, very excited. Our little Ohana is going to Disney World!

Who: Mommy Me, Daddy J, and our BABY BOY!

Our little mouseketeer is 6 months old. He will be 15 months at time of travel. He just started solids, can sit up by himself, and is rapidly outgrowing all the cute outfits I bought him from the Disney Store. Do those sizes run small or is my child just a giant?

When: August-September 2019 – 8 days & 7 nights.

Our standard vision for this trip would be 2 Magic Kingdom days, 2 Epcot days, 1 Hollywood Studios day, 1 Animal Kingdom day, and 2 non park days for arrival and rest. However, this trip might have to fall under the 'go with the flow' school of thought. J and I have never missed a day of rope drop in our Disney lives, so naturally, I’ve needed some reality checks as I've been envisioning things in my head, which I do quite often.

It's very different... as life in general has been for the past six months. Oh, but it's so wonderful! I can’t believe that the last time we were at Disney, we were wishing for much for our little family to come true. It was all meant to be!

Where: Pop Century Resort

We did the unthinkable. No, I’m not talking about making the leap to a Moderate/Deluxe resort. I mean that we did one of those blind-hotel-booking experiences and ended up scoring just the “Value” we wanted for ~$60/night. Yippee!!! But also, PHEW. J and I clenched each other’s hands for dear life when we hit that Book button. I am most definitely NOT the person who takes risks to save a few bucks… but these savings were just unprecedented in our books. We were previously thinking we’d save like $100 max off All Star Movies with whatever room discount Disney eventually came out with. But now, Pop Century! The resort J and I stayed at on our first trip together. And our Disneymoon. And now Baby’s 1st Resort.

We're over the moon. Hourglass Lake, Art of Animation, and Everything Pop here we come!

Also suddenly very invested in the Skyliner progress.

What??? Pretty much everything else.

Dining: Who googles ‘What do 15 months old eat at Walt Disney World?’ …Oh yeah, me neither. (And yes, I am aware that my child is ‘1 year old’ and not ‘15 months’ or ‘65 weeks old’).

Dining is the center of our Disney planning universe, but it’s hard for us to wrap our head around that one this time around. Who knows what our eating situation will be like in a year? Not me! All I know is there is one reservation I-MUST-HAVE and that is Crystal Palace. We're a Winnie the Pooh household and I am just melting at the thought of him meeting that silly ol’ bear! And having the ability to pick and choose things from the buffet for Baby to eat off our plates is a bonus, too. Otherwise, we think that while Baby is still too young to really know what’s going on (i.e. have opinions), we should visit some restaurants for food/experiences we want too, regardless of whether or not the atmosphere is tailor-made for a kid. I'm also thinking Quick Service will be our friend so we're not tied to so many reservations, but also, I have this really strong desire to go to Pinocchio's Village Haus for atmosphere now...

FPs: This is tricky because it puts us on a schedule and I’m thinking that once we enter the park, that schedule goes POOF! but we’ll follow as we please. The few other attractions that I’ve been having literal dreams about: Small World, Peter Pan, Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Living with the Land, The Seas with Nemo and Friends, and Kilimanjaro Safari Ride. Really, I just can’t wait for him to sit in between us in a flying pirate ship or clammobile. I’m getting those first-time butterflies all over again.

Otherwise, what in the world is going on in the World? I’m positive we will miss the opening of Star Wars Land, which is fine by me. Toy Story Land will be new to us, but truth be told, I’m more interested in wandering the land itself moreso than riding Slinky Dog or Swirling Saucers. Maybe J and I will take turns, but I’m not really itching to ride either by myself. Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, will thou be open? With the exception of Flight of Passage, we really only want to choose FPs for attractions that all three of us could do together. Speaking of which, would you take a 1 year old on Toy Story Mania? Wondering if it’s too intense motion-wise or if I’m being crazy-protective Mom.

Lastly, will I ever see Illuminations again? If I do, will we even make it to 9pm?

Packing: Things I think about: should Baby be wearing onesies or shirts/shorts? Onesies may be best because we'll still be in diapers, but then I have so many requirements like 'must have a Disney character on it' and 'must be a jumper/creeper-styled onesie' so his tender little bum doesn't make skin-to-seat contact. Oh, and lots of wipes and hand sanitizer. J tells me I need to let the germaphobia go...

Honestly, I probably shouldn’t think so hard into it. His clothes will probably get destroyed within a matter of minutes. But I’ve already started a healthy collection of 18 month sized Disney tshirts I hope to put to good use!

What else? Diapers, wipes, change of clothes, bottles or sippy cups, and probably a million other crucial things I am missing or don't even know exist. Like, I just discovered that there is such thing as water diapers for pool time exist today. Something tells me we will need a bigger park bag this time around, guys.

We will be flying (a whole ‘nother beast right there) and we definitely plan to bring a stroller instead of renting in the parks. J thinks we should protect ours from the elements of a Disney vacation and rent from a company for the entirety of our trip. Not sure I feel strongly either way… I just want my baby to be comfortable. But I’ll let him take the reins on that one. Since, you know, he’ll be the one carrying it all the time.

I know no amount of advice or research can possibly prepare us for what’s to come, but I figured I can collect a few gems here and there that will pay off in one way or another. Maybe someone out there has experiences they’d like to share with me as I figure this whole ‘parenting thing’ out over the next year. That should help pass the time since I got a ton of that on my hands as well, right?

Well, this pre-trip report kind of turned into a brain dump for me… but I’m sure I will look back at this thread with fondness at how uneducated and unrealistic I was, yet nevertheless, so happy.

And finally...

Why? Because Disney is and has always been, for me, the happiest place made complete with the people I love. Growing up, I never knew what I wanted to do with my life other than have a family and take my children to Walt Disney World. And now, our Party of 2 has become a Party of 3, and this new chapter of our story is just getting started!

Thanks for reading!

Congratulations on such a big trip. Having been through something similar, I can give you some words of advice. First; have fun but don't go into this with expectations. As hard as this seems, vacations with children never go according to plan. If you're flexible to begin, you're not going to get flustered when things go awry. Second; I would not recommend pushing your children to stay up late or wake up early. We made the mistake of going in with the mentality that we would maximize our time to get some good value out of the ticket price but we ended up with cranky children, not to mention being worn out ourselves. It's much easier to treat this as you would any other vacation; RELAX. Most likely, your children won't even have any memory of anything that happens so there's no need to stress yourself out.

Well, that's all I have to give you. Hope it helped you as you embark on such a wonderful trip :happy:

belledream

Original Poster
I have ordered through Amazon Prime Now a couple times and it works great. They deliver to your resort within a couple hours.
Great to know! So you just ship it to the resort and they'll let you know your package is there? Lovin' this! :happy:

Congratulations on such a big trip. Having been through something similar, I can give you some words of advice. First; have fun but don't go into this with expectations. As hard as this seems, vacations with children never go according to plan. If you're flexible to begin, you're not going to get flustered when things go awry. Second; I would not recommend pushing your children to stay up late or wake up early. We made the mistake of going in with the mentality that we would maximize our time to get some good value out of the ticket price but we ended up with cranky children, not to mention being worn out ourselves. It's much easier to treat this as you would any other vacation; RELAX. Most likely, your children won't even have any memory of anything that happens so there's no need to stress yourself out.

Well, that's all I have to give you. Hope it helped you as you embark on such a wonderful trip :happy:
Wise words. I know it looks like I have high and unattainable hopes and dreams through my incessant planning, but I, too, and in the camp of being happy and pleasant just being together as a family, and not by hopping from ride to ride or shoulder to shoulder with the masses. Just want to be there together! :inlove:

joshsprincess921

Great to know! So you just ship it to the resort and they'll let you know your package is there? Lovin' this! :happy:

Amazon Prime Now is different than just ordering from Amazon. You have to go to the specific Amazon Prime Now webpage. It's the same login as your regular amazon prime though. Then you can add groceries, etc to your cart. There are cold items as well. (we bought milk) I kind of looked through the site ahead of time and made note of what I'd like to order and then when I arrived I placed my order. There is a Amazon warehouse in Orlando. Delivery can be made within 2 hours of ordering. When you check out you are able to pick your time window. You could probably even do this before you leave home. Anyway, you will get a notice saying that it's on the way and they drop it off at Bell Services. They will put the cold stuff in the fridge for you until you pick it up. You can either go pick it up or ask Bell Services to bring it to your room. It's basically just like the other grocery delivery services. I just found it cheaper for us and with prime its free delivery. You just add your tip when checking out.

belledream

Original Poster
Amazon Prime Now is different than just ordering from Amazon. You have to go to the specific Amazon Prime Now webpage. It's the same login as your regular amazon prime though. Then you can add groceries, etc to your cart. There are cold items as well. (we bought milk) I kind of looked through the site ahead of time and made note of what I'd like to order and then when I arrived I placed my order. There is a Amazon warehouse in Orlando. Delivery can be made within 2 hours of ordering. When you check out you are able to pick your time window. You could probably even do this before you leave home. Anyway, you will get a notice saying that it's on the way and they drop it off at Bell Services. They will put the cold stuff in the fridge for you until you pick it up. You can either go pick it up or ask Bell Services to bring it to your room. It's basically just like the other grocery delivery services. I just found it cheaper for us and with prime its free delivery. You just add your tip when checking out.
Oh ok, yeah I figured it was a different service. I mainly just wanted to order diapers and not so much groceries, at least for now. But that's a pretty great deal! Thanks for the info. :)

ScarletBegonias

I am SO happy for you!!! Congratulations!!!
Harper was 15 months on her first trip! My first TR in my signature should be that trip! It was interesting for sure. She HATED being in the stroller but was too little to be out of it. She conked out whenever she was tired and slept in the (rented) stoller, so I wouldn't worry about late nights! We did it just fine. My biggest suggestion( I always seem to give), is bring TODDLER sized spoons/forks!! We sat down at many meals, and Harper did great because we brought her little forks and spoons that she was able to feed herself with.

belledream

Original Poster
I am SO happy for you!!! Congratulations!!!
Harper was 15 months on her first trip! My first TR in my signature should be that trip! It was interesting for sure. She HATED being in the stroller but was too little to be out of it. She conked out whenever she was tired and slept in the (rented) stoller, so I wouldn't worry about late nights! We did it just fine. My biggest suggestion( I always seem to give), is bring TODDLER sized spoons/forks!! We sat down at many meals, and Harper did great because we brought her little forks and spoons that she was able to feed herself with.
Thank you! I am slightly hopeful he will be able to get away with at least some stroller naps but what do I know about him yet? :p

Wow, good call on the cutlery. Definitely would not have thought about that, and makes total sense.

Btw, she is getting so big!!!

belledream

Original Poster
The fun has arriiiived! (That means food). Yes, 180 days has come and gone, and it's so weird to think that we'll be hearing our names called as a 'Party of 3' going forward. I dig it.

We aren't doing too many table service restaurants this time around since we don't want to put ourselves on such a schedule we may not be able to keep, but for the ones we are doing, we are very much looking forward to!

So where are we going?

Crystal Palace, of course. It's been a while since for us (came here on our first trip together in 2010!).
crystal-palace-00.jpg

Baby gets to meet his friends, maybe try a bunch of different foods, and it'll be a perfect way to celebrate our little family!

Be Our Guest! We are BOG B/L/D regulars... but if we had to pick one, the answer is always... lunch. I know this is a QS meal but I will basically turn this into a TS with my staples: French Onion Soup, Tuna Nicoise Salad, and a Strawberry Cream Cheese Cupcake.
Be-Our-Guest-Tuna-Nicoise-Salad-600x468.jpg

With J's Carved Beef Sandwich coming off the menu and the replacement French Dip Sandwich failing to impress him last time, he says he'll go for the Croque Monsieur (and the Potato Leek Soup and the Master's Cupcake). Coupled with sitting in the Ballroom, it is simple a recipe for happiness.

Tokyo Dining, so J can get this Miso-marinated Rack of Lamb:
TokyoDining_food_03-800x600.jpg

I myself am eyeing the Bento Box. Maybe Baby can nibble off of some of the items in there. This is our 'adult meal' but we've always found Tokyo Dining empty and relaxing... and with a nice window view, I think Baby will have a good time. :)

Garden Grill: this one almost didn't make the cut. For as much as I adore Living with the Land and enjoy the food's simplicity and deliciousness, I tried to convince myself that we would wait until Baby was a little older to make our return... so he would "get it". But J knows how to get me. "You said we would come back when we have kids, and now we have him, so we should go." Huh. It really is that simple. Or I'm just a sap. Either way, I really want to try this Berry Short Cake:
Garden-Grill-Dinner-17_-011-Short-Cake.jpg

Again, so simple but it looks like it's laced with yummy.

Grand Floridian Cafe: we'd like to make our way to Grand Floridian for a park break and a dinner on one of our Magic Kingdom days, and GFC is one of those places we've always been meaning to go to, but never made it. Well, lets hope it sticks this time around because we want this:
lobster-thermidor-burger.jpg

Lobster 'Thermidor' Burger. Oh boy, it looks so tasty... and everything else on the menu sounds enticing too... from Buttermilk Fried Chicken to Shrimp and Grits, to the cutest little desserts.

As for Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom, we will with 100% certainty be quick servicing it- not because of flexibility/budget concerns, but because there are actual menu items that we found, well, appealing.

Cuban Sandwich and Chicken and Biscuits at Backlot Express, anyone?
cuban-sandwich-backlot-express-january-2019-1-700x525.jpg

backlot-express-january-2019-chicken-and-biscuits-2-700x525.jpg

says a little prayer for the longevity of these items

Animal Kingdom has some great QS. We absolutely loved Satu'li Canteen, so pencil that in for sure, but we also thought it might be time to revisit Harambe Market.
Harambe-Market-December-2018-bowls-ribs-chicken-roasted-vegetable-1-700x525.jpg

Bowls for days! Yeah, we're trendy, cool parents.

And what will Baby eat? Whatever he can and wants, I suppose. Lets just say that starting solids has been quite a mess. Literally. Boy loves his oatmeal and fruits, but he's all over the map on meats and veggies. Last night, I hand fed him 10 peas, one by one. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing something wrong and I call my mom to panic and shes like, "Don't worry. Everyone eats eventually." That'll probably be our motto for Disney dining this year. :hilarious:

Will probably come back with a snack installment but I'm guessing the list will be a lot shorter this year because I don't think
Num Nums are approved by the pediatrician, and I would feel guilty eating sweets in front of Baby's face without sharing, but Mommy's gotta eat!

Last edited:

mmnw

Couple of things... if swim diapers are new to you, try them out/ask a couple of questions to friends. They work differently than regular diapers. When you get out of the pool you will want to put on regular diapers.

Stroller covers are helpful. If you rent, make sure you understand if the company provides them and their policy. Some will provide if they have them in stock.

Consider bringing a unique bandana etc. tie it to the stroller so you can identify your stroller.

We’ve used those stroller hooks to hook on something light to the handle.

Small light spray bottle is nice if it’s hot.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

belledream

Original Poster
Congratulations! Plans look marvelous! Enjoy the pre feelings the next couple of months!!
Thank you!! I sure will. He’s growing so fast and it makes me excited for the trip, but at the same time, time please slow down! :p

Couple of things... if swim diapers are new to you, try them out/ask a couple of questions to friends. They work differently than regular diapers. When you get out of the pool you will want to put on regular diapers.

Stroller covers are helpful. If you rent, make sure you understand if the company provides them and their policy. Some will provide if they have them in stock.

Consider bringing a unique bandana etc. tie it to the stroller so you can identify your stroller.

We’ve used those stroller hooks to hook on something light to the handle.

Small light spray bottle is nice if it’s hot.

Enjoy!
Great advice, thank you! We will definitely be hitting the pool this summer before the trip so hopefully I will be able to figure out how those things work without any incidents...

And great stroller tips. Still pondering what route we’ll take, but a cover, fan, and and plenty on shade is a must! :)

belledream

Original Poster
Back with snacks! I think my blood sugar increased just writing this post... but luckily for my health, we probably won't get to most of these. It's just fun to see what's new these days. Our nightly tradition of reading Disney blogs while feeding baby/putting baby to bed is a treasured time because things are finally quiet and calm, and we get to do a little more Disney-dreamin'!

Mickey and Minnie Whoopie Pies - Columbia Harbour House
mickey-and-minnie-red-velvet-whoopie-pies-mickey-and-minnies-surprise-celebration-1-3-450x600.jpg

Red Velvet is my jam. And thanks to Mickey and Minnie's Surprise Celebration, these cute little things make it even harder to resist.

Vanilla Ice Cream Churro Sandwich
vanilla-churro-ice-cream-sandwich-sleepy-hollow-june-2018-6-450x600.jpg

Confession: I have never had a Disney churro. I just don't think I've ever been in the mood for it when I'm there. But this ice cream sandwich-look is kinda a gamechanger. I may just have to get it... but this looks like a messy disaster just waiting to be had.

Peter Pan Float - Storybook Treats
storybook-treats-peter-pan-float-428x600.jpg

This is J's pick. He's intrigued by the Lime/Sprite combo. I can already feel my face scrunch up at the sourness!

Pineapple Upside Down Cake with Dole Whip - Aloha Isle
Pineapple-Upside-Down-Cake_Aloha-Isle-Refreshments_17-01-450x600.jpg

I love me some good Dole Whip, but will it be equally delicious on top of a pineapple cake? Methinks the answer is yes, but I also feel thirsty just looking at this and may relapse to a Dole Whip Float.

Macaron - Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie
MARIG49674.jpg

These always look so gorgeous when we go to Les Halles. This is a definite. Quote me on it.

Kaki Gori with Sweet Milk Topping - Kabuki Cafe
kaki-gori-with-topping-Kabuki-Cafe-410x625.jpg

We've had the plain ol' Kaki Gori before, but somehow we missed out on the sweet milk topping!? Thinking this will be very welcomed on a hot Epcot day (and an innocent sampling for Baby).

Num Num Cookie - Neighborhood Bakery

num-num-cookie-v2-16x9.jpg

"Warm, Crunchy but Gooey Chocolate-Chip Cookie Tart". 'Nuff said.

S'mores Cookie - Landscape of Flavors
Pop-Century-Smores-Cookie-2-643x600.jpg

Clearly, I have a type. So when this showed up on my newsfeed along with the words 'ooey gooey', I read on with fingers crossed to see that it was being sold at... Landscape of Flavors? Wait, that's perfect! We're at Pop, and wandering over to Art of Animation and even having a meal at Landscape of Flavors is in the cards.

And of course, we'll be trying this 'Blue Milk' thing at 'Milk Stand in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge'. You know... just a few days after it opens.

Just kidding. But moving away from foodtalk...

I just can't believe that SW:GE is opening right before our trip. When I watched the big reveal in the promotional video, my mouth literally dropped like this :jawdrop: and I ran around the house screaming while my baby sat in his jumper just looking at me like 'Whaaat is going on, Mama?!' I called J right away and he was like, NO. WAY. We hadn't even spent any time or effort wondering if we would catch the opening because I was absolutely convinced we were months away, and that was on purpose.

I spent the next few days waffling back and forth on whether this was a good thing or a bad thing. My thoughts ranged from:
  1. HOLY COW I know nothing about Star Wars but it's gonna be SO COOL to see it! I'm gonna babywear and we're gonna fight the crowds and just check it out!
  2. Maybe we'll go to Hollywood Studios and I'll take Baby to nap while J can wait in line to see it for himself so at least one of us can experience it.
  3. J can go to Hollywood Studios at whatever-o-clock AM and I'll stay at the hotel with Baby and meet him there later.
  4. We're going to ride the gondolas to Hollywood Studios, wave to all the people from above, not get off, and go back to Pop.
  5. We're not going to Hollywood Studios period. :hilarious:
While we had originally not planned to do much there besides wander around and see Toy Story Land and take it very easy that day, I just feel weird missing out on any of the four parks at all. But having a rest day or potentially a second day at Animal Kingdom sounds absolutely divine too. There's just zero information out there right now. And it will be that way literally up to our trip. It will truly be a 'day-of'/'gametime' decision. Looks like I'll be reading the blogs even while I sit in bed at Pop! I know, I don't even like Star Wars - but I have major FOMO and the idea of being RIGHT THERE is just so agonizing to me!

Anywhos, in other news, Baby is a much better eater now. I am so relieved and a little more confident now that finding things for him to eat at Disney will be easier and even fun! He's also super-mobile, standing and walking along furniture very well at 10 months. He's also on a good napping schedule and is all around, a very good-natured, happy boy. He just brings us so much joy, and I feel so lucky to be his Mommy. J and I were talking about riding The Magic Carpets of Aladdin with him yesterday. Such a random little thought, but it made me excited beyond belief!

Last edited:

Nala06

The fun has arriiiived! (That means food). Yes, 180 days has come and gone, and it's so weird to think that we'll be hearing our names called as a 'Party of 3' going forward. I dig it.

We aren't doing too many table service restaurants this time around since we don't want to put ourselves on such a schedule we may not be able to keep, but for the ones we are doing, we are very much looking forward to!

So where are we going?

Crystal Palace, of course. It's been a while since for us (came here on our first trip together in 2010!).
crystal-palace-00.jpg

Baby gets to meet his friends, maybe try a bunch of different foods, and it'll be a perfect way to celebrate our little family!

Be Our Guest! We are BOG B/L/D regulars... but if we had to pick one, the answer is always... lunch. I know this is a QS meal but I will basically turn this into a TS with my staples: French Onion Soup, Tuna Nicoise Salad, and a Strawberry Cream Cheese Cupcake.
Be-Our-Guest-Tuna-Nicoise-Salad-600x468.jpg

With J's Carved Beef Sandwich coming off the menu and the replacement French Dip Sandwich failing to impress him last time, he says he'll go for the Croque Monsieur (and the Potato Leek Soup and the Master's Cupcake). Coupled with sitting in the Ballroom, it is simple a recipe for happiness.

Tokyo Dining, so J can get this Miso-marinated Rack of Lamb:
TokyoDining_food_03-800x600.jpg

I myself am eyeing the Bento Box. Maybe Baby can nibble off of some of the items in there. This is our 'adult meal' but we've always found Tokyo Dining empty and relaxing... and with a nice window view, I think Baby will have a good time. :)

Garden Grill: this one almost didn't make the cut. For as much as I adore Living with the Land and enjoy the food's simplicity and deliciousness, I tried to convince myself that we would wait until Baby was a little older to make our return... so he would "get it". But J knows how to get me. "You said we would come back when we have kids, and now we have him, so we should go." Huh. It really is that simple. Or I'm just a sap. Either way, I really want to try this Berry Short Cake:
Garden-Grill-Dinner-17_-011-Short-Cake.jpg

Again, so simple but it looks like it's laced with yummy.

Grand Floridian Cafe: we'd like to make our way to Grand Floridian for a park break and a dinner on one of our Magic Kingdom days, and GFC is one of those places we've always been meaning to go to, but never made it. Well, lets hope it sticks this time around because we want this:
lobster-thermidor-burger.jpg

Lobster 'Thermidor' Burger. Oh boy, it looks so tasty... and everything else on the menu sounds enticing too... from Buttermilk Fried Chicken to Shrimp and Grits, to the cutest little desserts.

As for Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom, we will with 100% certainty be quick servicing it- not because of flexibility/budget concerns, but because there are actual menu items that we found, well, appealing.

Cuban Sandwich and Chicken and Biscuits at Backlot Express, anyone?
cuban-sandwich-backlot-express-january-2019-1-700x525.jpg

backlot-express-january-2019-chicken-and-biscuits-2-700x525.jpg

says a little prayer for the longevity of these items

Animal Kingdom has some great QS. We absolutely loved Satu'li Canteen, so pencil that in for sure, but we also thought it might be time to revisit Harambe Market.
Harambe-Market-December-2018-bowls-ribs-chicken-roasted-vegetable-1-700x525.jpg

Bowls for days! Yeah, we're trendy, cool parents.

And what will Baby eat? Whatever he can and wants, I suppose. Lets just say that starting solids has been quite a mess. Literally. Boy loves his oatmeal and fruits, but he's all over the map on meats and veggies. Last night, I hand fed him 10 peas, one by one. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing something wrong and I call my mom to panic and shes like, "Don't worry. Everyone eats eventually." That'll probably be our motto for Disney dining this year. :hilarious:

Will probably come back with a snack installment but I'm guessing the list will be a lot shorter this year because I don't think
Num Nums are approved by the pediatrician, and I would feel guilty eating sweets in front of Baby's face without sharing, but Mommy's gotta eat!
You wont regret Garden Grill!! The food is amazing and the characters are awesome. They come around 3-4 times usually. Its always one of our top meals of the trip. And yes, the berry shortcake is as good as it looks 😉

belledream

Original Poster
You wont regret Garden Grill!! The food is amazing and the characters are awesome. They come around 3-4 times usually. Its always one of our top meals of the trip. And yes, the berry shortcake is as good as it looks 😉
Yesss! So excited for this one!! It was a favorite as a kid and we went pretty much every trip... and I feel like the tradition will continue with this family! ;)

belledream

Original Poster
It’s been a while…

So much has happened since I last updated this pre-trip report. My Baby turned 1! He’s so close to walking, nibbles on corn on the cob like a real person, and actually recognizes Mickey Mouse… I swear it! He always points and ‘oohs’ at Baby Mickey in books, and grabs onto the Mickey on my shirt. Beaming with pride, I told this to my brother, and the reply I get is: “He has no choice. He’s being indoctrinated.”

Pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together… I’ve bought random things here and there, like a stroller cover and an autograph book. (Range: very necessary – it’s really for me, not him!) With the flurry of parties and weddings over with for now, the rest of our summer will be devoted shopping, planning, and making sure we will be as ready as can be for what will be quite the adventure.

FastPasses are also on the books. Insert obligatory “I got everything I wanted.”*
*Wanted things like Pooh, Turtle Talk, and Adventurer’s Outpost M&G

But I did get Flight of Passage, which is the only ride that J and I cared to do separately, without Baby. I even got it for two different Animal Kingdom days. Because yes, I got scared away from going to Hollywood Studios during the first week of Galaxy’s Edge. But of course, I still looked at HS FPs out of curiosity and got excited when I saw Alien Swirling Saucers… but also… Slinky Dog?! Didn’t even consider riding it when HS was in the cards because we couldn’t ‘do it together’, but I scrapped our second AK day plan and booked it. Not because I’m dying to do Slinky Dog, but because it restored a tiny bit of hope that all was not lost at some HS time. Plus, if we don’t get into SWGE, I shall just see it from Slinky Dog. Problem-solving at its finest. But in all seriousness, we'll just wait and see what comes. It was always destined to be a gametime decision anyways, and I've surprisingly found myself not grappling between the old and new me, and the way I 'do' Disney. Probably because I'm always tired.

In other news, I stalk Disney menus more than probably anything else. I noticed Tokyo Dining had removed the lamb dish from the menu and had to break the awful news to J. It literally caused us to drop the ADR. I think we’ll get over it and pick it back up though. To comfort J, we also picked up a Liberty Tree Tavern lunch on our last day. Jokes on him though... as he will not be able to order 8/10 items he wanted from there.

Also, ALERT: I have discovered the best place for me to buy Disney baby clothes, and that place is Kohl’s! I never shop there for myself, but they have the cutest, softest Disney tees for the little one, and suddenly, I now find myself at Kohl's every weekend. And because this is the type of PTR content everyone wants, here is a tour of Baby's Disney Closet:

Still soliciting tips, stories, and Amazon links for anything and everything. As always, thanks for reading!

belledream

Original Poster
We're going to Walt Disney World... THIS MONTH. You know how they say 'time flies'? Really feelin' that right now. Like, I can't even believe it's been two whole years since we've been to WDW. We skipped last year because Baby was only a few months old, and the year before that, we spent our entire trip dreaming about him before we even knew him. Yet, I remember that trip like it was yesterday, and I could barely remember who fed Baby lunch today (Don't worry - he was fed :p). It's been a super busy year, but I've spent every day of this past year thinking about how much our Disney life will revolutionize because of this little guy. And both J and I tell each other every day and every night, WE WANT IT. NOW!

So I'm back with my traditional I'M EXCITED post... pictures courtesy of Disney Parks Twitter because I definitely don't take these quality shots (though we did buy a new fancy-ish camera specifically for this trip...yes, finally). So without further ado...

I'M EXCITED TO...

Spend all morning along the trails, moving along at our own pace, and seeing the beautiful animals at Animal Kingdom!
DZicVZuWAAETADk

We went to the zoo earlier this summer and Baby loved pointing at the animals. :)

I'M EXCITED TO...

Introduce Baby to one of the best rides/best scenes/best everything at WDW. (He loves dogs!)
DL9upXuUIAELJqG

And I want to stuff my face at Garden Grill.

Speaking of food... I'M EXCITED TO...

Let Baby try all sorts of new foods at Crystal Palace! It's his vacation, after all...
Dv6vgO6WsAENXaY

I really wonder how he'll react to characters too. He can be pretty shy at first meeting.

I'M EXCITED TO...

See all the Limited Time Magic offerings! Glad we're catching the tail-end of things! A nice little bonus.
EAgIMfnWkAMYbP6

Really hoping we can still get on that Skyliner...

And of course... I'M EXCITED TO...

Show Baby the nighttime spectacular that helped bring him into this world. I truly believe Happily Ever After saved us, and the show has come to mean so much to our family.
DxtwV8LXQAEeEvH

I just know he's gonna recognize the music. He always growls at "Thaaat's what friendssss areeee foooooor."

Obviously there's a bajillion more things I'm excited for, and this post barely scratched the surface, but it's way past my bedtime these days and I'm lucky I found time to write this at all. I know I'll look back on it one day and smile like I'm smiling right now.

Goodnight! zZz.

belledream

Original Poster
Well, my last post didn’t age very well...

We will not be heading to WDW this month. After one of the most stressful, tormenting weeks of my life, we cancelled the trip. It just did not feel right at all to put Baby (and ourselves) through the painful and inevitable truth that this was no longer going to be fun. We've been following Dorian since last week and with every day and night that passed by, we kept hoping for good news and it just kept getting worse and worse. We were on the phone last night and almost pulled the trigger to cancel our hotel but decided to sleep on it. Woke up and felt crushed, but moreso, felt anxious and sick about going, about cancelling, about even beginning to think about rescheduling. I was losing it until suddenly I saw that the airline FINALLY released waivers to reschedule flights. Without putting much thought into it, I just told the rep I wanted to push the whole thing back a week, to the same exact flight number, time, etc. This was all on a Twitter DM by the way. Gotta love social media. And they just... did it! I was stunned. Immediately after that, I made J get on the phone with Priceline where we asked if they could shift our dates. They couldn't, because there was no availability. But we got our hotel refunded! It was such a freakin' steal that it wasn't a large sum but it felt like a win. I checked Disney's site but it was slim-pickings so I hopped on the phone to see if inventory was any different. A kind rep told me I could stay in an All Star Sports preferred room for $160/night... which was just comical. The next best thing was Port Orleans French Quarter, so I took it. At this point, I just wanted to to have a plan intact. It wasn't until the dust settled and I started rebuilding our trip, from ADRs to FPs, that I had the chance to really internalize what this meant. Boat rides, a better pool for Baby, pretty scenery, and of course, Po' Boy sandwiches... as J enthusiastically pointed out. Our trip has a whole new world of possibilities now! Just not this month, but next.

port-orleans-resort-french-quarter-gallery02.jpg

The moment all was said and done, I immediately felt something different. I hadn't felt this way all week. A huge weight had been lifted off my chest. And I was excited again. And though I lost some good stuff (Oga's, Flight of Passage, Slinky Dog), I just don't care anymore. I just want a happy, healthy week with my little family. So, we will be in Disney... next month! Baby woke from his afternoon nap right as I finished all of this, and so I went into the room with a big smile and told him, "Guess what! We're going to Disney next weekend!" He doesn't have to know. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom