Pre-Trip Yippee! It's a Party of 3!

It feels a tad silly to start this pre-trip report considering how little I know about:
1) Babies
2) Disney with Babies
3) Disney next fall

Yet here I am. A little nervous, pretty clueless, but very, very excited. Our little Ohana is going to Disney World!

Who: Mommy Me, Daddy J, and our BABY BOY!

Our little mouseketeer is 6 months old. He will be 15 months at time of travel. He just started solids, can sit up by himself, and is rapidly outgrowing all the cute outfits I bought him from the Disney Store. Do those sizes run small or is my child just a giant?

When: August-September 2019 – 8 days & 7 nights.

Our standard vision for this trip would be 2 Magic Kingdom days, 2 Epcot days, 1 Hollywood Studios day, 1 Animal Kingdom day, and 2 non park days for arrival and rest. However, this trip might have to fall under the 'go with the flow' school of thought. J and I have never missed a day of rope drop in our Disney lives, so naturally, I’ve needed some reality checks as I've been envisioning things in my head, which I do quite often.

It's very different... as life in general has been for the past six months. Oh, but it's so wonderful! I can’t believe that the last time we were at Disney, we were wishing for much for our little family to come true. It was all meant to be!

Where: Pop Century Resort

We did the unthinkable. No, I’m not talking about making the leap to a Moderate/Deluxe resort. I mean that we did one of those blind-hotel-booking experiences and ended up scoring just the “Value” we wanted for ~$60/night. Yippee!!! But also, PHEW. J and I clenched each other’s hands for dear life when we hit that Book button. I am most definitely NOT the person who takes risks to save a few bucks… but these savings were just unprecedented in our books. We were previously thinking we’d save like $100 max off All Star Movies with whatever room discount Disney eventually came out with. But now, Pop Century! The resort J and I stayed at on our first trip together. And our Disneymoon. And now Baby’s 1st Resort.

We're over the moon. Hourglass Lake, Art of Animation, and Everything Pop here we come!

Also suddenly very invested in the Skyliner progress.

What??? Pretty much everything else.

Dining: Who googles ‘What do 15 months old eat at Walt Disney World?’ …Oh yeah, me neither. (And yes, I am aware that my child is ‘1 year old’ and not ‘15 months’ or ‘65 weeks old’).

Dining is the center of our Disney planning universe, but it’s hard for us to wrap our head around that one this time around. Who knows what our eating situation will be like in a year? Not me! All I know is there is one reservation I-MUST-HAVE and that is Crystal Palace. We're a Winnie the Pooh household and I am just melting at the thought of him meeting that silly ol’ bear! And having the ability to pick and choose things from the buffet for Baby to eat off our plates is a bonus, too. Otherwise, we think that while Baby is still too young to really know what’s going on (i.e. have opinions), we should visit some restaurants for food/experiences we want too, regardless of whether or not the atmosphere is tailor-made for a kid. I'm also thinking Quick Service will be our friend so we're not tied to so many reservations, but also, I have this really strong desire to go to Pinocchio's Village Haus for atmosphere now...

FPs: This is tricky because it puts us on a schedule and I’m thinking that once we enter the park, that schedule goes POOF! but we’ll follow as we please. The few other attractions that I’ve been having literal dreams about: Small World, Peter Pan, Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Living with the Land, The Seas with Nemo and Friends, and Kilimanjaro Safari Ride. Really, I just can’t wait for him to sit in between us in a flying pirate ship or clammobile. I’m getting those first-time butterflies all over again.

Otherwise, what in the world is going on in the World? I’m positive we will miss the opening of Star Wars Land, which is fine by me. Toy Story Land will be new to us, but truth be told, I’m more interested in wandering the land itself moreso than riding Slinky Dog or Swirling Saucers. Maybe J and I will take turns, but I’m not really itching to ride either by myself. Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, will thou be open? With the exception of Flight of Passage, we really only want to choose FPs for attractions that all three of us could do together. Speaking of which, would you take a 1 year old on Toy Story Mania? Wondering if it’s too intense motion-wise or if I’m being crazy-protective Mom.

Lastly, will I ever see Illuminations again? If I do, will we even make it to 9pm?

Packing: Things I think about: should Baby be wearing onesies or shirts/shorts? Onesies may be best because we'll still be in diapers, but then I have so many requirements like 'must have a Disney character on it' and 'must be a jumper/creeper-styled onesie' so his tender little bum doesn't make skin-to-seat contact. Oh, and lots of wipes and hand sanitizer. J tells me I need to let the germaphobia go...

Honestly, I probably shouldn’t think so hard into it. His clothes will probably get destroyed within a matter of minutes. But I’ve already started a healthy collection of 18 month sized Disney tshirts I hope to put to good use!

What else? Diapers, wipes, change of clothes, bottles or sippy cups, and probably a million other crucial things I am missing or don't even know exist. Like, I just discovered that there is such thing as water diapers for pool time exist today. Something tells me we will need a bigger park bag this time around, guys.

We will be flying (a whole ‘nother beast right there) and we definitely plan to bring a stroller instead of renting in the parks. J thinks we should protect ours from the elements of a Disney vacation and rent from a company for the entirety of our trip. Not sure I feel strongly either way… I just want my baby to be comfortable. But I’ll let him take the reins on that one. Since, you know, he’ll be the one carrying it all the time.

I know no amount of advice or research can possibly prepare us for what’s to come, but I figured I can collect a few gems here and there that will pay off in one way or another. Maybe someone out there has experiences they’d like to share with me as I figure this whole ‘parenting thing’ out over the next year. That should help pass the time since I got a ton of that on my hands as well, right?

Well, this pre-trip report kind of turned into a brain dump for me… but I’m sure I will look back at this thread with fondness at how uneducated and unrealistic I was, yet nevertheless, so happy.

And finally...

Why? Because Disney is and has always been, for me, the happiest place made complete with the people I love. Growing up, I never knew what I wanted to do with my life other than have a family and take my children to Walt Disney World. And now, our Party of 2 has become a Party of 3, and this new chapter of our story is just getting started!

Thanks for reading!

Nala06

First off, how exciting! I always love reading your trip reports. You have a nice way with words, and they always read so happy and carefree!

In regards to a stroller, it is VERY nice to have one in the airport while you are traveling. You can put either baby or bags in it while traipsing through the airport. Just imagine your flight is at the very end of the terminal, and you have bags + baby to carry alllll the way down there. Much simpler to have something with wheels! Gate checking it is super simple, but I would recommend a stroller bag, keeps it a little cleaner. Plus if you bring your own, its much easier to find in the parks (unless you have a city mini, then it will blend in with everyone elses rented stroller :hilarious:).

krause

Fun! We took my daughter at 18 months and it was fun but so. exhausting. I am a bit of a park commando too though and had a hard time slowing down. A few thoughts based on your initial post:

1) My kids are 6am risers so hitting rope drop wasn’t actually a challenge at all :hilarious:
2) Stroller is a must! We bought a cheaper (but not the cheapest) stroller for a trip when she was 9 months and used it again at 18. The Summer Infant 3D I think (not the lite version though) - it was PERFECT. Only about $100-$120 on sale I believe and it’s expensive enough to be easy to push and a smooth ride, and has a huge canopy for stroller naps (we never went back to resort for naps because my daughter was a great stroller napper).
3) My daughter is a horrid eater. I started out trying to feed her healthy foods (ex. A $3 banana from a fruit stand) but eventually just gave in and let her eat whatever she would eat. Our last trip she was 2 and a half and she ate a bacon, egg, gouda sandwich from Starbucks every day 🤷🏻‍♀️ A full stomach = a happy kid was my motto for the week. Also food pouches - both my kids have been raised on these and they’re so convenient to bring along.
4) I took her on Toy Story Mania - at 9 months and at 18. It puts a bit of a damper on your game play though :hilarious: At 9 months she was in the baby carrier and at 18 just on a lap. When she was 18 months I was 3 months pregnant and she could go on any ride that I could minus Soarin’ and Splash I believe (yes I went on Splash when I was pregnant, everyone put your judgy eyes away :cautious::hilarious:)

aliceismad

You're going to have a great time!
We took our daughter on her first big vacation around that same age, but we went on a cruise, so while I have no Disney advice I will say that we took way too much kiddo stuff “just in case.” There were plenty of things to eat, things to play with, etc.

I would take any infant medicines you might need cause they tend to be pricey (unless you have a rental car to go to Walgreens, etc.). Also diapers and wipes.

belledream

Original Poster
First off, how exciting! I always love reading your trip reports. You have a nice way with words, and they always read so happy and carefree!

In regards to a stroller, it is VERY nice to have one in the airport while you are traveling. You can put either baby or bags in it while traipsing through the airport. Just imagine your flight is at the very end of the terminal, and you have bags + baby to carry alllll the way down there. Much simpler to have something with wheels! Gate checking it is super simple, but I would recommend a stroller bag, keeps it a little cleaner. Plus if you bring your own, its much easier to find in the parks (unless you have a city mini, then it will blend in with everyone elses rented stroller :hilarious:).
Why thank you! I do enjoy this outlet to express my overwhelming feelings since most people in my 'normal' life just don't understand. :hilarious:

And thank you for the advice on the stroller! You raise a good point... it's something to consider more seriously since we're coming to realization about how much STUFF we'll have. I initially waved the necessity of it off during travel. We have a Chicco Bravo...it's pretty popular as well. J definitely doesn't want to bring it!

Fun! We took my daughter at 18 months and it was fun but so. exhausting. I am a bit of a park commando too though and had a hard time slowing down. A few thoughts based on your initial post:

1) My kids are 6am risers so hitting rope drop wasn’t actually a challenge at all :hilarious:
2) Stroller is a must! We bought a cheaper (but not the cheapest) stroller for a trip when she was 9 months and used it again at 18. The Summer Infant 3D I think (not the lite version though) - it was PERFECT. Only about $100-$120 on sale I believe and it’s expensive enough to be easy to push and a smooth ride, and has a huge canopy for stroller naps (we never went back to resort for naps because my daughter was a great stroller napper).
3) My daughter is a horrid eater. I started out trying to feed her healthy foods (ex. A $3 banana from a fruit stand) but eventually just gave in and let her eat whatever she would eat. Our last trip she was 2 and a half and she ate a bacon, egg, gouda sandwich from Starbucks every day 🤷🏻‍♀️ A full stomach = a happy kid was my motto for the week. Also food pouches - both my kids have been raised on these and they’re so convenient to bring along.
4) I took her on Toy Story Mania - at 9 months and at 18. It puts a bit of a damper on your game play though :hilarious: At 9 months she was in the baby carrier and at 18 just on a lap. When she was 18 months I was 3 months pregnant and she could go on any ride that I could minus Soarin’ and Splash I believe (yes I went on Splash when I was pregnant, everyone put your judgy eyes away :cautious::hilarious:)
Thank you for this! It's exactly what I needed from this post. 'Real' experiences!

Baby does like to wake up early so fingers crossed he stays that way. Then we can rope drop like the good ol' days!

We also just looked up the Summer Infant 3D. It's on sale... and I have serious shopping FOMO... might need to buy. So does it recline all the way, or just enough for a decent stroller nap? Would love to stroller nap too, but would of course not mind making the trek back to the Pop for a real nap if he (and we) needed it.

The sandwich thing is hilarious! Your daughter figured out you get to eat whatever the heck she wants on vacation too. :p

You're going to have a great time!
We took our daughter on her first big vacation around that same age, but we went on a cruise, so while I have no Disney advice I will say that we took way too much kiddo stuff “just in case.” There were plenty of things to eat, things to play with, etc.

I would take any infant medicines you might need cause they tend to be pricey (unless you have a rental car to go to Walgreens, etc.). Also diapers and wipes.
Ooh I am already dreaming about Baby's 1st Disney Cruise as well! It's probably more of a baby's speed, but we gotta start the indoctrination with the Land part first. :D I definitely like to travel light, but good call on bringing the meds with us in the parks. I usually bring some for myself and leave it in the hotel... that wouldn't be very helpful in this case! Thanks!

MegRuss626

We just took our daughter this past October and she was right around 15.5 months. I am by no means an expert just my personal experiences.

Do those sizes run small or is my child just a giant?

Disney Store clothes def run small! Or my daughter is a giant too? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Who googles ‘What do 15 months old eat at Walt Disney World?’

Ryleigh was just under 16 months when we went and Mac n cheese and uncrustables were the way to go. We ordered the uncrustables from garden grocer and just packed them in the diaper bag.

Swirling Saucers

They have to be 32” for this ride and Ryleigh just made it....it was hands down her fave ride!

If I do, will we even make it to 9pm?

Here’s my personal rookie mistake - yes, your child will most likely make it to fireworks BUT don’t forget to factor in the chaos and travel that ensues AFTER the fireworks.

should Baby be wearing onesies or shirts/shorts?

Ryleigh did shorts and shirts. I’m the crazy mom who ordered tons of fun personalized shirts for each day and had store bought Disney shirts for back-ups.

I just discovered that there is such thing as water diapers for pool time exist today. Something tells me we will need a bigger park bag this time around, guys.

We bought a Minnie backpack diaper bag from Target. (They had Mickey too!) It had special straps that hooked onto the handle of the stroller and the backpack aspect made it nice for waiting in line. And you’ll want to buy two stroller fans....one to keep the baby cool and one to clip on the stroller handle for you! We got ours on amazon.

plan to bring a stroller

We took our stroller because we only went for a few days. It was def nice to have it through the airport. It causes a little extra time at TSA but nothing major.

belledream

Original Poster
We just took our daughter this past October and she was right around 15.5 months. I am by no means an expert just my personal experiences.

Disney Store clothes def run small! Or my daughter is a giant too? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Ryleigh was just under 16 months when we went and Mac n cheese and uncrustables were the way to go. We ordered the uncrustables from garden grocer and just packed them in the diaper bag.

They have to be 32” for this ride and Ryleigh just made it....it was hands down her fave ride!

Here’s my personal rookie mistake - yes, your child will most likely make it to fireworks BUT don’t forget to factor in the chaos and travel that ensues AFTER the fireworks.

Ryleigh did shorts and shirts. I’m the crazy mom who ordered tons of fun personalized shirts for each day and had store bought Disney shirts for back-ups.

We bought a Minnie backpack diaper bag from Target. (They had Mickey too!) It had special straps that hooked onto the handle of the stroller and the backpack aspect made it nice for waiting in line. And you’ll want to buy two stroller fans....one to keep the baby cool and one to clip on the stroller handle for you! We got ours on amazon.

We took our stroller because we only went for a few days. It was def nice to have it through the airport. It causes a little extra time at TSA but nothing major.
This was gold - thank you!!!

I honestly didn't even consider that he may be able to ride any rides with a height restriction at that age... shows how much I know about children. :p He has constantly been measuring on the tall side, so we shall see!

Totally forgot about stroller fans too! We've been going in September for years and always managed the heat okay ourselves, but do have the little guy to think about now. Also thinking about rain now... do you bring your own stroller cover? Does Disney cover them up for you, or am I making that up? Things that I never gave a second thought...until now!

As for food, most of my concern is if we'll still be nursing then (a totally personal question that nobody including baby and I know haha) but as long as we'll have some snacks/table food, I know Disney won't let us go hungry. :hilarious:

I'm glad you had such a good time with your daughter! I'm sure those precious memories were worth everything!

MotherofaPrincessLover

Just a word on clothes since I know you're a new mom - a lot of babies don't wear the size of clothes that correlate to their ages. Like when my kids were 9 months they typically wore 18 month clothes. Right now my son is almost 3 and wears a 5T top and 4T pants. You guys will have such a great time. Have you thought about Harmony Barber Shop for a 1st haircut package?

belledream

Original Poster
Just a word on clothes since I know you're a new mom - a lot of babies don't wear the size of clothes that correlate to their ages. Like when my kids were 9 months they typically wore 18 month clothes. Right now my son is almost 3 and wears a 5T top and 4T pants. You guys will have such a great time. Have you thought about Harmony Barber Shop for a 1st haircut package?
Good advice - I have found that out recently and have skipped shopping for 12M and started stocking up on 18M for summer... but I'm hoarding receipts too!

We actually have looked into Harmony Barber Shop. I like that you get the commemorative ears! We just may if he's looking really blessed in the hair department. :cool:

Nala06

Oh! The Harmony Barbershop first haircut is amazing. My son had just a little trim done but it was amazing. The CM was awesome. And for the cost I think its the best deal in Disney!
6E78D768-32D1-4B6E-8587-425E040BF7FD.jpeg
861108E4-C130-41ED-81B9-64D709F98032.jpeg

Nala06

So cute!!! You are right - the price doesn't actually seem that outrageous. How long did it take and how far in advance did you book?
I want to say we booked it only 2 mo out. We did a last minute trip to MK while we were going to be in town visiting friends. I Think it took a half hour total? The CM even did a little certificate presentation ceremony that was super adorable. It was the highlight of the day for us by far! And the mouse ears are a little smaller than the traditional ones you get in the parks if i remember correctly.

MegRuss626

This was gold - thank you!!!

I honestly didn't even consider that he may be able to ride any rides with a height restriction at that age... shows how much I know about children. :p He has constantly been measuring on the tall side, so we shall see!

Totally forgot about stroller fans too! We've been going in September for years and always managed the heat okay ourselves, but do have the little guy to think about now. Also thinking about rain now... do you bring your own stroller cover? Does Disney cover them up for you, or am I making that up? Things that I never gave a second thought...until now!

As for food, most of my concern is if we'll still be nursing then (a totally personal question that nobody including baby and I know haha) but as long as we'll have some snacks/table food, I know Disney won't let us go hungry. :hilarious:

I'm glad you had such a good time with your daughter! I'm sure those precious memories were worth everything!

You’re welcome! I’m glad I could be of some help...I’m a planner and I searched these boards top to bottom for ideas before our trip! The truth is it’s hard to plan too far ahead because they do change so much! The best advice is from @21stamps - do not go in with the mindset that you have to do everything. There will be other Disney trips so just enjoy your current one.

We bought a stroller poncho on amazon and there’s a funny story about that if I ever get around to actually writing my trip report! haha Disney does not cover them for you from my personal experience. And they can move your stroller while you’re on a ride (surprise to us rookies) so def put a personal touch on your stroller so it’s easier to find. (I made stroller signs for ours.)

The baby centers in each park are a great amenity I never knew about until this last trip. The room full of changing tables was our favorite especially since Ryleigh decided to become a non-fan of being changed in loud, busy public restrooms right before we left! 🤦🏻‍♀️

belledream

Original Poster
I want to say we booked it only 2 mo out. We did a last minute trip to MK while we were going to be in town visiting friends. I Think it took a half hour total? The CM even did a little certificate presentation ceremony that was super adorable. It was the highlight of the day for us by far! And the mouse ears are a little smaller than the traditional ones you get in the parks if i remember correctly.
Thanks for the info! Sounds like we have some time to decide but sounds like a great experience for sure!

You’re welcome! I’m glad I could be of some help...I’m a planner and I searched these boards top to bottom for ideas before our trip! The truth is it’s hard to plan too far ahead because they do change so much! The best advice is from @21stamps - do not go in with the mindset that you have to do everything. There will be other Disney trips so just enjoy your current one.

We bought a stroller poncho on amazon and there’s a funny story about that if I ever get around to actually writing my trip report! haha Disney does not cover them for you from my personal experience. And they can move your stroller while you’re on a ride (surprise to us rookies) so def put a personal touch on your stroller so it’s easier to find. (I made stroller signs for ours.)

The baby centers in each park are a great amenity I never knew about until this last trip. The room full of changing tables was our favorite especially since Ryleigh decided to become a non-fan of being changed in loud, busy public restrooms right before we left! 🤦🏻‍♀️
That is one thing I DO know! :D Definitely not feeling pressed to do everything. Whatever Baby wants will be our itinerary. I just wanna be there with my family!

I guess I made up the covering thing then! :p So that’s something to think about too. Especially if we rent. Don’t want to be responsible for ruining any stroller, rented or our own.

I saw a video about the Baby Centers! Definitely think we’ll be frequent visitors for sure! :)

belledream

Original Poster
Do you babywear at all?
Not really. J did when he was a newborn but we’ve mostly relied on stroller when we go out. So we have one but not sure if people babywear bigger babies? Also it must just be so hot to do it at Disney.

Nala06

Not really. J did when he was a newborn but we’ve mostly relied on stroller when we go out. So we have one but not sure if people babywear bigger babies? Also it must just be so hot to do it at Disney.
We used a soft shell carrier (tula, lillebaby, etc) because our kid wasnt a fan of the stroller. At disney it was a lifesaver while waiting in lines for rides where you cant bring your stroller. Saved my arms!! Also we would park our stroller in a central area, strap him into the carrier and hit 3-4 rides in the area before going back to the stroller and moving to the next land.

Obviously i wouldnt buy one special for disney, but if its something you already use it can be great in addition to the stroller.

belledream

Original Poster
We used a soft shell carrier (tula, lillebaby, etc) because our kid wasnt a fan of the stroller. At disney it was a lifesaver while waiting in lines for rides where you cant bring your stroller. Saved my arms!! Also we would park our stroller in a central area, strap him into the carrier and hit 3-4 rides in the area before going back to the stroller and moving to the next land.

Obviously i wouldnt buy one special for disney, but if its something you already use it can be great in addition to the stroller.
We just have a basic infantino one but I like the idea of not having to constantly relocate the stroller for a few attractions!

I’m gonna need to hit the gym LOL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom