Yikes! Giant spider at AKL! Tell me it's plastic!

Jacquellie

Original Poster
Hi guys - I just read on aklresort.com that a guest's highlight was a giant spider between two trees on the way to the bus stops. I am a total arachnophobe - it's a real problem and the reason I won't go to actual Africa, Australasia etc. please tell me it's not a real spider ... and please don't give me too many details about spiders in Florida because it would ruin my trip worrying about them. X

real mad hatter

Hi guys - I just read on aklresort.com that a guest's highlight was a giant spider between two trees on the way to the bus stops. I am a total arachnophobe - it's a real problem and the reason I won't go to actual Africa, Australasia etc. please tell me it's not a real spider ... and please don't give me too many details about spiders in Florida because it would ruin my trip worrying about them. X
Hmmm...Master Yoda is your man..Yes Spiders exist in Florida...The giant Floridian thorn back is easily spotted by its bright colours ( orange & black stripes ) ..They can only run at 10mph and have a sharp screeching sound when there excited..Relax..:joyfull:...Only Joking...Or am I..:cautious:...

alissafalco

I suggest you get some therapy for your problem, and in the mean time don't leave your house and cancel your trip.

75disney

For how beautiful AKL is I find it sad that a giant spider was the highlight of someone's stay there (unless they are really into spiders).

It was probably real. But I have to say, with all of my stays at Disney, I cannot recall spiders being an issue at any of the resorts.

jkl2000

Found it!

Character.giantspider.jpg

jkl2000

I get your fear of Spiders, I do. With this said, spiders are part of nature! I think AKL is one of the most "nature/natural" orientated resorts. Expect Spiders.

Now THERE'S a good DAK slogan:

Disney's Animal Kingdom: Expect Spiders!

When I stayed in Vegas I was confronted by a Red Widow outside Bellagio,she was smashed also,out of her mind.:rolleyes:..
LOL - there are a lot of widows in Vegas, I'm sure.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It is Florida. We have a plethora of bugs, snakes and other, usually cuddlier wildlife.The chance of it being a real spider is about 99.99%. The good news is there are very few dangerous spiders in Florida (all spiders are venomous but very few pose any danger to people).

There are only 5 species of spiders that pose any danger to humans in Florida. Those are 4 species of Widow spiders (Northern and southern Black, Brown and red) and the brown recluse. To help you worry a little less, the webs of these spiders are rarely the large kind that you will see spanning trails and paths. They all tend to occupy corners and holes and there is little chance of you running into one.

The big webs are frequently made by Golden silk orb-weaver spiders (commonly referred to as Banana
Spiders) They look like something from another planet, but are completely harmless. Just admire the beauty of the web and find solace in the fact that your new 8 legged friend is eating his or her body weight in other more annoying bugs almost daily.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom