Trip Report Yia-Yia, Yetis and Epcotonians. A sweltering Summer of '22 adventure!

It was the night before our Disney trip and I found myself scrambling. So much to do besides "Disney but "Disney" needed to get done. Where are my SD cards? Where are all my Star Wars shirts? Where is my camera bag? We had just moved after-all and things were not where they should be because well we were in a different house. Toni was scrambling too. She is spending the Summer waitressing in Bethany Beach Delaware and came home THAT DAY to get everything ready for Disney. Her Mom however also wanted her to help get her "crap" ready for college (leaving in a few weeks). Tensions were running high and the early morning flight out of Baltimore was like lighting a fuse to a stick of dynamite. Time was ticking away!

This was going to be a different trip for us. Just three of the five in the family as my wife Val decided to sit this one out and my daughter Alex couldn't get her schedule to work. So Val will be going to New Mexico to visit Alex in a month as the final three, the triumvirate headed to Walt Disney World to meet up with my sister Marina's family and my mom (Yia-Yia).

The Triumvirate -

Toni (center), Sterg and yours truly.

02C3CEDA-3111-4115-81A1-F2FA108D0ED4-X3.jpg

As you may or may not know, one of the things I love about going to Disney is honing my photography skills. For this trip I decided to rent two fantastic (and expensive) lenses. The Sony GM 50mm f/ 1.2 and the Sony GM 14mm f/1.8 lenses to be exact. The cost to buy both of those lenses would be as much as the cost of the entire trip. Additionally I rented a lens adaptor to pair with my old Minolta 70-210 "beercan" lens that I wanted to try out on the Safari.

PXL_20220714_163312867-X2.jpg

PXL_20220714_163122685-X2.jpg

PXL_20220714_163209308.MOTION-02.ORIGINAL-X2.jpg

I've been crazy after the 14mm lens due to it's wide angle nature. It's actually so wide it's referred to as an "ultra-wide angle" lens. Wide angle lenses have wonderful applications at WDW and I was going to see how this baby was going to work for me. The 50mm 1.2 is a lens with a great reputation. Very fast, very sharp and producing beautiful bokeh as your sharp subject stands in front of a background that literally melts into a dreamy blur of photographic delight.

By 11pm all that was packed, what was left of my Star Wars shirts was packed - "Chris, aren't we just getting a bit too old for Star Wars shirts?" Val quipped - and everything else on my list was packed.

Toni was also packed and had full-filled her "getting ready for college" obligations.

Val said her goodbyes and goodnights..
giphy.gif
and went to bed.

It was soon time for me to lay down for 3 hours of sleep. The hardest thing left for me to do was wake up with my alarm. I think I'll have a glass on wine (or two?). After-all, what could go wrong?

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Last day of our trip arrived, but with a late flight we had almost a full day.

Toni started off with some coffee...

73D796F0-B590-4D03-BA66-72885BF3F315-X2.jpg

And YiaYia was raring to go! The CM lady at the bus stop was great. We saw her there that day and at least 2 other. She got to know my Mom and started some great interaction with us. Thumbs up to her!

4A4638CD-0906-4EE5-8CC3-9E2D4530C417-X2.jpg

Once again Mia joined us for the morning.

DSC01970-X4.jpg

I didn't take many photos that day as I was distracted with some serious issues at work that were not going my way. Frankly it was more stressful than enjoyable and numerous times I had to peel off from the rest to take and make calls.

We entered Animal Kingdom and after getting my Mom a wheelchair, headed straight away to Africa.

Toni kept her cell phone camera busy.

The swinging apes were out and chattering about.

EBF32F7C-1BAC-4343-ABAD-6284B79411EB-X3.jpg

Then we made our way to another tour up the Forbidden Mountain.

PXL_20220720_134201721-X2.jpg

I parked my Mom in front of Expedition Everest - just like we did the last two times - and told her we would be back soon.

Team Marina minus Mia hit the parks earlier and happened to also be at EE on their 2nd (or 3rd) turn around. Our team had a Lightning Lane thru genie + and strolled through the line with little drama. As we made it the loading platform I noticed Courtney in the single rider line and we said hello to her. I was going to be riding with Toni as Sterg was paired with Mia and we were instructed to go in Row 7 or 8? We stepped up awaiting the next train. Soon after I heard some commotion then Courtney yelling toward me for my attention.

"Theo (uncle in Greek) Chris, Theo Chris! YiaYia is coming through the line!"

I turned around and saw to my surprise and embarrassment my 86 year old mother charging her way through the Lightning Lane line like Derrick Henry blasting his way through the Steelers front seven. She then charged onto the platform like a woman scorned! She spotted Courtney who was calling for her to end her rampage. She waved her open hand at her.

"Why did you all leave me there alone!" She shouted.

Spotting me next she came up to me as if I was 14 again and just walked in the house 2 hours after my curfew.

"Christo! Why did you just leave me there!"

The next train had arrived and was boarding. Luckily there was a single rider behind me and I waived her on to go with Toni. I then grabbed my Mother's arm, gave her a look and seeked the nearest CM who was also seeking me and my Mother.

"I'm so sorry." I started. "I think she got confused after we left her." I said not expected what was coming next and not really knowing what to do at that point.

"Alright" the CM responded. "So do you want to ride with her?"

I looked down at my Mom in a somewhat cross way. What was she thinking? I thought. We had done this before. Terribly I thought a good punishment for her was to ride the rollercoaster.

"Do you want to ride this?" I asked forcefully.

"Yes." She answered quickly.

"Up to the front!" The CM responded while grabbing my arm and pointing to the CM to my right.

A few moments later YiaYia and I were climbing into the front row of the newly arrived train.

After getting settled in and seatbelts secured I turn to her in a stern way.

"Mom! What were you thinking? We left you there like we did the last time because this is a really fast ride!"

"You left me there alone!"
She said as I began to realize that she didn't have a LL pass.

"How did you even get in the line? You didn't have a pass?" I asked.

"They tried to stop me but I told them my son left me and was up front."

"Oh, how nice. Well you're on now and get ready because this ride is crazy!"

"What kind of ride is it?"

"It's a rollercoaster."

"A rollercoaster. Oh my God!"

"Yeah, it may be your last ride but it's a good way to go."
I said half joking.

I then took a selfie as she was literally doing her cross.

PXL_20220720_134912895-X3.jpg

The steam engine then bellowed and my mom and I started up the Forbidden Mountain in the front row and in search of the Abominable Yeti.

UP NEXT - Did she survive? Of course she did - and we went to her favorite show! Last time with the Guardians and a special meet-up with special magicians!

Last edited:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Last day of our trip has arrived, but with a late flight we had almost a full day.

Toni started off with some coffee...

73D796F0-B590-4D03-BA66-72885BF3F315-X2.jpg

And YiaYia was raring to go! The CM lady at the bus stop was great. We saw her there that day and at least 2 other. She got to know my Mom and started some great interaction with us. Thumbs up to her!

4A4638CD-0906-4EE5-8CC3-9E2D4530C417-X2.jpg

Once again Mia joined us for the morning.

DSC01970-X4.jpg

I didn't take many photos that day as I was distracted with some serious issues at work that were not going my way. Frankly it was more stressful than enjoyable and numerous times I had to peel off from the rest to take and make calls.

We entered Animal Kingdom and after getting my Mom a wheelchair, headed straight away to Africa.

Toni kept her cell phone camera busy.

The swinging apes were out and chattering about.

EBF32F7C-1BAC-4343-ABAD-6284B79411EB-X3.jpg

Then we made our way to another tour up the Forbidden Mountain.

PXL_20220720_134201721-X2.jpg

I parked my Mom in front of Expedition Everest - just like we did the last two times - and told her we would be back soon.

Team Marina minus Mia hit the parks earlier and happened to also be at EE on their 2nd (or 3rd) turn around. Our team had a Lightning Lane thru genie + and strolled through the line with little drama. As we made it the loading platform I noticed Courtney in the single rider line and we said hello to her. I was going to be riding with Toni as Sterg was paired with Mia and we were instructed to go in Row 7 or 8? We stepped up awaiting the next train. Soon after I heard some commotion then Courtney yelling toward me for my attention.

"Theo (uncle in Greek) Chris, Theo Chris! YiaYia is coming through the line!"

I turned around and saw to my surprise and embarrassment my 86 year old mother charging her way through the Lightning Lane line like Derrick Henry blasting his way through the Steelers front seven. She then charged onto the platform like a woman scorned! She spotted Courtney who was calling for her to end her rampage. She waved her open hand at her.

"Why did you all leave me there alone!" She shouted.

Spotting me next she came up to me as if I was 14 again and just walked in the house 2 hours after my curfew.

"Christo! Why did you just leave me there!"

The next train had arrived and was boarding. Luckily there was a single rider behind me and I waived her on to go with Toni. I then grabbed my Mother's arm, gave her a look and seeked the nearest CM who was also seeking me and my Mother.

"I'm so sorry." I started. "I think she got confused after we left her." I said not expected what was coming next and not really knowing what to do at that point.

"Alright" the CM responded. "So do you want to ride with her?"

I looked down at my Mom in a somewhat cross way. What was she thinking? I thought. We had done this before. Terribly I thought a good punishment for her was to ride the rollercoaster.

"Do you want to ride this?" I asked forcefully.

"Yes." She answered quickly.

"Up to the front!" The CM responded while grabbing my arm and pointing to the CM to my right.

A few moments later YiaYia and I were climbing into the front row of the newly arrived train.

After getting settled in and seatbelts secured I turn to her in a stern way.

"Mom! What were you thinking? We left you there like we did the last time because this is a really fast ride!"

"You left me there alone!"
She said as I began to realize that she didn't have a LL pass.

"How did you even get in the line? You didn't have a pass?" I asked.

"They tried to stop me but I told them my son left me and was up front."

"Oh, how nice. Well you're on now and get ready because this ride is crazy!"

"What kind of ride is it?"

"It's a rollercoaster."

"A rollercoaster. Oh my God!"

"Yeah, it may be your last ride but it's a good way to go."
I said half joking.

I then took a selfie as she was literally doing her cross.

PXL_20220720_134912895-X3.jpg

The steam engine then bellowed and my mom and I started up the Forbidden Mountain in the front row and in search of the Abominable Yeti.

UP NEXT - Did she survive? Of course she did - and we went to her favorite show! Last time with the Guardians and a special meet-up with special magicians!
My dad is 90. I feel.your pain, even though I'm not trying to take him.on rollercoasters.

fractal

Original Poster
I want to age like your mom. Not caring about what people think or rules. 🤣
Love.it.

I'm very much a "rules" guy - she drives me crazy often! Lol.

Sooo awesome! I imagine she was pretty nervous when you stopped at the top. I HATE being in the very front for that part!!

She held on for dear life once we started to move!

My dad is 90. I feel.your pain, even though I'm not trying to take him.on rollercoasters.

Neither was I! Lol

OMG front row! My morning is complete.

giphy.gif

I don't think I've ever had my jaw drop reading a TR like it did seeing her in the front row lmao, can't wait to hear what she thought of it!! I was sure there was no way she was actually gonna load up...

Lol!
giphy.gif

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
After our selfie I instructed my Mom to sit upright, keep her head back against the seat and hold on tight.

"Hold on Mom, here we go."

giphy.gif

Up the steep climb we went, down the mountain backwards and through it twice while escaping the Yeti and she did just fine. She didn't scream or yell - just held on.

"Are you ok?" I asked as we rolled back into the station.

"I'm fine - that was crazy!"

"Did you like it."

"I liked it Christo but never again!"

"Ok - good!"

Needless to say her grandchildren were waiting for her in the gift shop and proceeded to celebrate her survival and shower her with a barrage of accolades mixed with scoldings.

Word of her antics reached the ears of Marina who then proceeded to fill mine with anger but the conversation soon turned to laughter.

4E293433-119D-4231-AB68-C7BF0A3A8819-X2.png

Well she really wasn't ready for any more rollercoasters but she was ready for her favorite; Festival of the Lion King and this time we had Lightning Lane passes!

And I guess we didn't put her in a wheelchair that day. 🤔

Toni and I heading to Africa while the others wanted to explore other adventures.

PXL_20220720_142821920-X3.jpg

We were seated and ready for the show to begin. I was excited for and explained to Toni that the tumble monkeys had only recently join the show since the reopening after Covid.

F718902A-3A66-47A7-8144-81B277CE5928-X3.jpg

Let the show begin!

DSC01974-X4.jpg

Last edited:

ferbtones

Oh my.
Your story telling skills are so fine.
I am in stitches at the exploits of Yia Yia. I envisioned cast members hanging off the back of her scooter as she hadn’t paid…😂
Thank you for your trip report and your wonderful photos.
In rainy old England they have really brightened my day.

fractal

Original Poster
Oh my.
Your story telling skills are so fine.
I am in stitches at the exploits of Yia Yia. I envisioned cast members hanging off the back of her scooter as she hadn’t paid…😂
Thank you for your trip report and your wonderful photos.
In rainy old England they have really brightened my day.

Thanks for the kind words @ferbtones !

We've been having some English type weather lately. 3 straight days of rain with temps in the high 40's to low 50's.
Today the sun's out however which I try my best to enjoy and wish it to travel across the Atlantic.

fractal

Original Poster
I was missing having Alex with us, especially for this show. She loves it and we didn't get a chance to see it in 2020 because of COVID.

The cast was arriving and the crowd was really into it. It was like welcoming back old friends after a long absence.

DSC01975-X4.jpg

We were in the Elephant section. If my memory serves me correct, they didn't go around the room this time to have each section make their animal sound.

DSC01976-X4.jpg

Time to get bad!

DSC01985-X4.jpg

DSC01988-X4.jpg

DSC01992-X4.jpg

The outfits seemed more ornate but it could be my imagination.

DSC01993-X4.jpg

The fire thrower guy was definitely different. No tattoos and taller and thinner

_DSC2790-X3.jpg

DSC01994-X4.jpg

DSC01995-X4.jpg

DSC01997-X4.jpg

hot, hot ,hot!

DSC02006-X4.jpg

I felt the previous guy's throwing and catching skills were better but the new guy made up for it with his energy and expressions.

DSC02013-X4.jpg

DSC02014-X4.jpg

DSC02015-X4.jpg

Be Prepared!

DSC02016-X4.jpg

fractal

Original Poster
The show continued...

DSC02024-X4.jpg

The tumble monkeys arrived.

My settings were off a bit - the camera was exposing for the background instead of the monkeys resulting in they being a bit overexposed in the video. I've been trying to video more than I have in the past and am quickly learning that there is a lot of learning to do with it!

DSC02030-X4.jpg

DSC02031-X4.jpg

Then the beautiful birds scene. This video was better as far as exposure.

But there's something about photos that still make them special. The frozen moment in time allows you to spend time in that moment and observe and appreciate so much.

DSC02034-X4.jpg

DSC02049-X4.jpg

Things that are easy to miss in a video.

DSC02053-X4.jpg

DSC02060-X4.jpg

My Mom's favorite part! This was filmed on my Pixel6 which does a pretty darn good job of "easy" videoing. Hit record and follow the action.

After all the craziness of the last two years watching this show was such a delight and comforting to know that it was back in full form.

Time to soar!

DSC02068-X4.jpg

Last edited:

rshell68

But there's something about photos that still make them special. The frozen moment in time allows you to spend time in that moment and observe and appreciate so much.

My Mom's favorite part! This was filmed on my Pixel6 which does a pretty darn good job of "easy" videoing. Hit record and follow the action.

I would love your post more than once if I could!!
Yep, not going to lie...teared up at the Yia Yia video.
I ABSOLUTELY and completely agree with your photo comment.

fractal

Original Poster
Chris, I hope some of the performers in Lion King are WDWmagic forum members and see your photos. Your shots capture so much emotion for a performance portfolio.

Thanks Nick!

I would love your post more than once if I could!!
Yep, not going to lie...teared up at the Yia Yia video.
I ABSOLUTELY and completely agree with your photo comment.

Thank you @rshell68! very much appreciated.

@fractal , you've outdone yourself with your amazing photos from the Lion King show!! Brought back some fun memories, from when I saw the show, years ago.

Thank you @MinnieM123! The show is so well done!

fractal

Original Poster
With the show over and YiaYia lending further proof that Walt Disney World is indeed for ages 1 to 100, we marched off to our next exploit.

Having proven herself with her Yeti encounter I felt she was up to one of the most terrifying attractions in all of Walt Disney World...

DSC01088-X3.jpg

Just kidding!

But not about "terrifying"...

DSC02075-X4.jpg

We sat way in the back in the wheelchair/ECV section which took some of the edge off the Malstrom of Mayhem that was inevitably to occur.

Hopper showed up ready to send rows of unsuspecting children (and their parents) into outright panic and terror.

"hornets attack!"

DSC02077-X4.jpg

Not sure if the shrills and pandemonium is worse after the stings or the black widow attack.

"Black Window spiders, you're over your target!"

DSC02078-X3.jpg

By the way, this is a shot I've been trying to get over the last few trips. I consider it one of the toughest shots in all of WDW due to the almost complete darkness, the movement of the spiders and the brief period of time you have to acquire the subject, focus and shoot with the correct settings.

Finally got it!

DSC02083-X4.jpg

Toni shrieked and yelled a few times and my Mom found it all very amusing while I was chuckling behind my camera at the scenes of hysteria playing out in front of me.

All that excitement and danger built up quite the appetite for our small band so after leaving the Tree of Life we went off in search of food.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom