Trip Report Yia-Yia, Yetis and Epcotonians. A sweltering Summer of '22 adventure!

It was the night before our Disney trip and I found myself scrambling. So much to do besides "Disney but "Disney" needed to get done. Where are my SD cards? Where are all my Star Wars shirts? Where is my camera bag? We had just moved after-all and things were not where they should be because well we were in a different house. Toni was scrambling too. She is spending the Summer waitressing in Bethany Beach Delaware and came home THAT DAY to get everything ready for Disney. Her Mom however also wanted her to help get her "crap" ready for college (leaving in a few weeks). Tensions were running high and the early morning flight out of Baltimore was like lighting a fuse to a stick of dynamite. Time was ticking away!

This was going to be a different trip for us. Just three of the five in the family as my wife Val decided to sit this one out and my daughter Alex couldn't get her schedule to work. So Val will be going to New Mexico to visit Alex in a month as the final three, the triumvirate headed to Walt Disney World to meet up with my sister Marina's family and my mom (Yia-Yia).

The Triumvirate -

Toni (center), Sterg and yours truly.

02C3CEDA-3111-4115-81A1-F2FA108D0ED4-X3.jpg

As you may or may not know, one of the things I love about going to Disney is honing my photography skills. For this trip I decided to rent two fantastic (and expensive) lenses. The Sony GM 50mm f/ 1.2 and the Sony GM 14mm f/1.8 lenses to be exact. The cost to buy both of those lenses would be as much as the cost of the entire trip. Additionally I rented a lens adaptor to pair with my old Minolta 70-210 "beercan" lens that I wanted to try out on the Safari.

PXL_20220714_163312867-X2.jpg

PXL_20220714_163122685-X2.jpg

PXL_20220714_163209308.MOTION-02.ORIGINAL-X2.jpg

I've been crazy after the 14mm lens due to it's wide angle nature. It's actually so wide it's referred to as an "ultra-wide angle" lens. Wide angle lenses have wonderful applications at WDW and I was going to see how this baby was going to work for me. The 50mm 1.2 is a lens with a great reputation. Very fast, very sharp and producing beautiful bokeh as your sharp subject stands in front of a background that literally melts into a dreamy blur of photographic delight.

By 11pm all that was packed, what was left of my Star Wars shirts was packed - "Chris, aren't we just getting a bit too old for Star Wars shirts?" Val quipped - and everything else on my list was packed.

Toni was also packed and had full-filled her "getting ready for college" obligations.

Val said her goodbyes and goodnights..
giphy.gif
and went to bed.

It was soon time for me to lay down for 3 hours of sleep. The hardest thing left for me to do was wake up with my alarm. I think I'll have a glass on wine (or two?). After-all, what could go wrong?

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
I continued my nocturnal magical photography tour.

Next was Splash Mountain...

DSC01590-X4.jpg

Then a 20 second exposure of the Mill. From where I was standing it was barely visible. Proof that even in the darkest times, there is always some light.

DSC01595-X4.jpg

Then the Liberty Belle. If you haven't noticed yet, I switched from the 14mm to the 50mm.

DSC01596-X4.jpg

I then made my way to the hub but was struck by the hanging lanterns on the Liberty Tree. I tried to photograph how beautiful they appeared in front of the Hall of Presidents.

DSC01598-X4.jpg

DSC01597-X4.jpg

I was being drawn to the Castle like Turbo to the Mentos/Coca-Cola volcano (for those Wreck-it-Ralph fans).

DSC01601-X4.jpg

DSC01605-X4.jpg

DSC01607-X4.jpg

fractal

Original Poster
I wandered around the Hub looking for photographic opportunities.

DSC01608-X4.jpg

My eyes' love for the beautifully projected Castle kept me in a trance. A grand sight.

DSC01611-X4.jpg

DSC01613-X4.jpg

Sterg and Toni were waiting for me by City Hall so I kept moving down Main Street.

DSC01615-X4.jpg

DSC01618-X3.jpg

Main Street was glowing. Disney certainly dressed her up for the 50th.

DSC01621-X4.jpg

Then the lights were turned off for the fireworks which allowed for some different shots.

DSC01622-X4.jpg

DSC01623-X4.jpg

riverside

Premium Member
"DAD - WAKE UP!" Toni screamed as she shook me. "It's 2:45!"
That is always one of my biggest fears!!
The contrast vs. 2 years prior was striking.
I couldn't agree more. We were there in August 2020 & it felt eerie at some points. We stayed at Saratoga that time & I swear we didn't see another guest at the resort for the first few days we were there!!
"What's wrong with you today?" Toni asked. "First you sleep through the alarm on Disney Day and now you don't know where you're going?"

" and so far not a great job with the Genie+"
Sterg added.

"He also forgot to check-in on time with Southwest!" Toni added. "We were in group C again!"

"Oh yeah, forgot about that one."
I thought.

"But I was sure there was an alley here to Star Tours..." I mumbled a poor defense.

"Maybe it's just some Day 1 rust." Toni feeling bad for me.
Your kids are hysterical!!
Speaking of the food, it was plentiful but not as good as previous times.
Totally agree with you on this one!! 'Ohana definitely isn't what it used to be!!

I just got all caught up here. I'm truly enjoying your TR & as everyone else has said your pictures are downright AMAZING!!

Longers

Riverside is my favorite resort but I LOVED the updated rooms at Coronado! I was concerned the first time I stayed there after staying at POR for years but I really enjoyed it. The rooms are better, the main pool is better, and I found the transportation better than PO. I'm honestly surprised that CSR is normally so much cheaper than Riverside - it must be bc POR has the boat transportation to DS bc it's nothing to do with the quality of the resort. If I can't stay at POR bc of the price, I'm now very content to stay at Coronado!!
Thank you - good to know (fingers crossed)

fractal

Original Poster
That is always one of my biggest fears!!

I couldn't agree more. We were there in August 2020 & it felt eerie at some points. We stayed at Saratoga that time & I swear we didn't see another guest at the resort for the first few days we were there!!

Your kids are hysterical!!

Totally agree with you on this one!! 'Ohana definitely isn't what it used to be!!

I just got all caught up here. I'm truly enjoying your TR & as everyone else has said your pictures are downright AMAZING!!

Thanks for catching up and commenting @riverside !
giphy.gif

Summer of 2020 at WDW will never be replicated (hopefully!) but it was great to have WDW practically to yourself.

Yes, hysterical but usually at my expense! 🙂

Really wish we would have stayed with our Skipper Canteen reservation.

You have truly captured the essence of MK at night with your camera lens!

Thanks so much @lindawdw ! It was a lot of fun to do so!

giphy.gif

The architecture in this one is like an old school W D World "D" framing the castle.

Great catch Nick! I loved the framing but didn't notice the "D" shape.

giphy.gif

The picture of the mill is AWESOME!! I can barely see it at night!!

I've experimented shooting things in what looks like complete darkness. There is always light in the darkness, you just have to wait long enough to see it.

thanks @slipperalwaysfits !

giphy.gif

Some of those nighttime pictures look like you're the only person there :)
Those photos are absolutely gorgeous! They scream"Magic Kingdom at Night" Calendar!

I was not among the crowds. MK was packed but I was able to discover some peaceful areas!

Magic Kingdom at Night Calendar...hmmmm.

giphy.gif

Thanks for the kind words @paulaparm !

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Whew! All caught up, and as always, I echo the sentiment of a previous poster (I forget who), who said that just when I think I see a photo that wins the thread, you outdo yourself. LOVE (weird guy aside) the pic of the rocking chairs. GORGEOUS.

I'm finally getting to go back since before COVID (last trip June 2019) in a couple of weeks, and your photos have me so excited!

I wandered around the Hub looking for photographic opportunities.

DSC01608-X4.jpg

My eyes' love for the beautifully projected Castle kept me in a trance. A grand sight.

DSC01611-X4.jpg

DSC01613-X4.jpg

Sterg and Toni were waiting for me by City Hall so I kept moving down Main Street.

DSC01615-X4.jpg

DSC01618-X3.jpg

Main Street was glowing. Disney certainly dressed her up for the 50th.

DSC01621-X4.jpg

Then the lights were turned off for the fireworks which allowed for some different shots.

DSC01622-X4.jpg

DSC01623-X4.jpg
Your photos are absolutely the best WDW photos I've seen. You have a great eye and awesome skills!

fractal

Original Poster
Howie Mandel GIF by America's Got Talent's Got Talent

😂😂😂

Love ❤️Love this^^!!

thanks @Darstarr - it's true!

giphy.gif

Whew! All caught up, and as always, I echo the sentiment of a previous poster (I forget who), who said that just when I think I see a photo that wins the thread, you outdo yourself. LOVE (weird guy aside) the pic of the rocking chairs. GORGEOUS.

I'm finally getting to go back since before COVID (last trip June 2019) in a couple of weeks, and your photos have me so excited!

Thanks for reading and commenting @myhappyplace ! Appreciate the kind words - have an awesome trip!

giphy.gif

Your pictures ar e beautiful!!! You have a great eye, you are very talented!!

Thanks much @Pirate Magic !

giphy.gif

Your photos are absolutely the best WDW photos I've seen. You have a great eye and awesome skills!

@InLovew/disney Thanks you so much!

giphy.gif

fractal

Original Poster
More visual treats from that evening on Main Street...

I think I have 12 different photos of this window.

DSC01625-X4.jpg

Enchantment began.

DSC01627-X4.jpg

It certainly was a romantic backdrop.

DSC01631-X4.jpg

Goodnight you two crazy kids!

DSC01635-X4.jpg

Goodnight Fractal!

DSC01638-X4.jpg

Another long day in Walt Disney World was complete and it was a great day that included entering 4 gates (EPCOT, Typhoon Lagoon, EPCOT again and Magic Kingdom).

Back at the Gran Destino and down for a night of rest before we take on Kylo Ren in the morning.

DSC01639-X4.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom