Trip Report Yia-Yia, Yetis and Epcotonians. A sweltering Summer of '22 adventure!

It was the night before our Disney trip and I found myself scrambling. So much to do besides "Disney but "Disney" needed to get done. Where are my SD cards? Where are all my Star Wars shirts? Where is my camera bag? We had just moved after-all and things were not where they should be because well we were in a different house. Toni was scrambling too. She is spending the Summer waitressing in Bethany Beach Delaware and came home THAT DAY to get everything ready for Disney. Her Mom however also wanted her to help get her "crap" ready for college (leaving in a few weeks). Tensions were running high and the early morning flight out of Baltimore was like lighting a fuse to a stick of dynamite. Time was ticking away!

This was going to be a different trip for us. Just three of the five in the family as my wife Val decided to sit this one out and my daughter Alex couldn't get her schedule to work. So Val will be going to New Mexico to visit Alex in a month as the final three, the triumvirate headed to Walt Disney World to meet up with my sister Marina's family and my mom (Yia-Yia).

The Triumvirate -

Toni (center), Sterg and yours truly.

02C3CEDA-3111-4115-81A1-F2FA108D0ED4-X3.jpg

As you may or may not know, one of the things I love about going to Disney is honing my photography skills. For this trip I decided to rent two fantastic (and expensive) lenses. The Sony GM 50mm f/ 1.2 and the Sony GM 14mm f/1.8 lenses to be exact. The cost to buy both of those lenses would be as much as the cost of the entire trip. Additionally I rented a lens adaptor to pair with my old Minolta 70-210 "beercan" lens that I wanted to try out on the Safari.

PXL_20220714_163312867-X2.jpg

PXL_20220714_163122685-X2.jpg

PXL_20220714_163209308.MOTION-02.ORIGINAL-X2.jpg

I've been crazy after the 14mm lens due to it's wide angle nature. It's actually so wide it's referred to as an "ultra-wide angle" lens. Wide angle lenses have wonderful applications at WDW and I was going to see how this baby was going to work for me. The 50mm 1.2 is a lens with a great reputation. Very fast, very sharp and producing beautiful bokeh as your sharp subject stands in front of a background that literally melts into a dreamy blur of photographic delight.

By 11pm all that was packed, what was left of my Star Wars shirts was packed - "Chris, aren't we just getting a bit too old for Star Wars shirts?" Val quipped - and everything else on my list was packed.

Toni was also packed and had full-filled her "getting ready for college" obligations.

Val said her goodbyes and goodnights..
giphy.gif
and went to bed.

It was soon time for me to lay down for 3 hours of sleep. The hardest thing left for me to do was wake up with my alarm. I think I'll have a glass on wine (or two?). After-all, what could go wrong?

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Again your Pirates pictures are FANTASTIC!

Speaking of Pirates.... while unpacking C's kitchen supplies and doing dishes, and using water in general, I had the pleasure of realizing her water smelled like Pirates!! Is this a good thing? Meh. I'm not to sure if it's good for C but I sure enjoyed it! C will have to invest in a water filter.

Thanks again @Zipadeelady ! Lol! That's funny! Sterg is in the process of moving to the Tampa area. I'll have to ask him if he has Pirates scented water there. 😂

giphy.gif

Fun possible factoid. Not sure if it is urban legend or real. I've done some research and can't find a consensus, but the story is that congress had to vote to allow this rug (The Great Seal of the United States), to be here and displayed. Supposedly that's why it is protected with the brass railing.

Very interesting!

My favorite of favorite scenes!!

Great scene, and made it to the movie!

Just catching up. I LOV Toni’s top! Val is very talented!!!

As for your Buzz score, your lowest score on any day would beat me! I still enjoy the ride, though. Your pictures of Pirates and the Shaman (all your pics) are fabulous!

Thanks, she is very talented!

Lol! Thanks for the kind words!

giphy.gif

I thought of you and your pictures all through my Pirates ride this afternoon - how you manage to get such clesr photos while moving and in such a dark place never ceases to amaze me!

thanks! I hope you're having a great time!

giphy.gif

fractal

Original Poster
Update from Marina - they had one room in the "tower" and another outside the "tower" even though she booked 2 rooms in the tower and requested all of us to be close to each other. She and the rest of the crew were waiting it out to speak with a manager.

I told her we have been going all morning and were heading back to the resort for some pool time and we'd meet up with her there.

Making our way out...

My boy loves to pose!

DSC00639-X3.jpg

Toni's not far behind but she's always been that way for me.

DSC00642-X3.jpg

heading out,

DSC00646-X3.jpg

But I couldn't resist some "departing shots"...

DSC00647-X3.jpg

The crowded parks certainly made photography much more challenging vs. our 2020 trip. Walls of moving people often blocked me or discouraged me for getting to where I wanted.

But I managed. I liked the gold overlay on the Clocks.

DSC00649-X3.jpg

DSC00650-X3.jpg

More Main Street USA

DSC00651-X3.jpg

DSC00652-X3.jpg

Here's a good example of "sharp subject melting into a dreamy bokeh-licious background."

DSC00654-X3.jpg

Took this for @Tuvalu per her request!

DSC00655-X3.jpg

I was kinda luke-warm for these banners. I expected something a bit bolder. But "understated" seems to be the current theme in Walt Disney World.

DSC00657-X3.jpg

Have to get my balloon shots.

DSC00658-X3.jpg

DSC00661-X3.jpg

See you later Magic Kingdom! With the heat index soaring I was looking forward to some cooling off time.

DSC00662-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Zipadeelady

Hey there! I just had the same issue with the condo I moved into. It can be the water heater, but after I ran the dishwasher, the washer and both showers through cycles, it's improving. Let me know if you have more questions, I'm becoming an expert!
I'll have to ask her if she can smell it anymore since she's been there about a week now!

93boomer

Premium Member
Update from Marina - they had one room in the "tower" and another outside the "tower" even though she booked 2 rooms in the tower and requested all of us to be close to each other. She and the rest of the crew were waiting it out to speak with a manager.

I told her we have been going all morning and were heading back to the resort for some pool time and we'd meet up with her there.

Making our way out...

My boy loves to pose!

DSC00639-X3.jpg

Toni's not far behind but she's always been that way for me.

DSC00642-X3.jpg

heading out,

DSC00646-X3.jpg

But I couldn't resist some "departing shots"...

DSC00647-X3.jpg

The crowded parks certainly made photography much more challenging vs. our 2020 trip. Walls of moving people often blocked me or discouraged me for getting to where I wanted.

But I managed. I liked the gold overlay on the Clocks.

DSC00649-X3.jpg

DSC00650-X3.jpg

More Main Street USA

DSC00651-X3.jpg

DSC00652-X3.jpg

Here's a good example of "sharp subject melting into a dreamy bokeh-licious background."

DSC00654-X3.jpg

Took this for @Tuvalu per her request!

DSC00655-X3.jpg

I was kinda luke-warm for these banners. I expected something a bit bolder. But "understated" seems to be the current theme in Walt Disney World.

DSC00657-X3.jpg

Have to get my balloon shots.

DSC00658-X3.jpg

DSC00661-X3.jpg

See you later Magic Kingdom! With the heat index soaring I was looking forward to some cooling off time.

DSC00662-X3.jpg
All of your pictures are amazing!! I feel like I’m there.

fractal

Original Poster
Back at Gran Destino Tower we were greeted by Donald and Pluto in their 50th Anniversary garb! We were also greeted by the news that Marina and crew, after settling room reservation issues, were in route to Magic Kingdom.
We were then going to meet them at Ohana for dinner at 5pm.

PXL_20220716_182612706~3-X3.jpg

Sterg and Toni immediately changed and went to the pool. I took a slower approach which may have included a 15 minute cat nap. But eventually I made it.

PXL_20220716_184328200-X3.jpg

They said the slide was fun but I never tried it.

PXL_20220716_190621348-X2.jpg

Typical for July in WDW, the water in the pool was very warm. I enjoyed the look and atmosphere but after some time goofing around and playing toss in the pool I decided I needed a drink. The pool bar was packed and I was more attracted to the bar back in Destino so I left solo for a cold one there.

PXL_20220716_192222198~2-X2.jpg

It was great to take a break after all the hustle and bustle of that last day and a half. It gave me an opportunity to relax, refresh and recharge. I was looking forward to the big dinner with Marina, her family and my Mom. We originally booked Skipper Canteen but Marina spotting an opening at Ohana and jumped on it. Her family are also big Disney lovers. My sister and my love for Disney goes back to the one family vacation we had in our childhood. As children of 1st generation restaurant owners that immigrated from a war-torn Greece, vacations were not a familar concept. In 1976 we all drove down to Florida to see one of my Dad's uncles and spend a few days in Walt Disney World. I really believe that is a big reason WDW holds a special place in Marina and my hearts.

After pool time, Sterg and Toni dressed more appropriately for dinner and of course had to take pictures to feed the hungry social media beast. I snuck in a few shots.

DSC00666-X3.jpg

DSC00668-2-X3.jpg

DSC00669-X3.jpg

DSC00673-X3.jpg

$12,000 of dental work their poor crooked toothed father forked out for.

DSC00676-X3.jpg

heading to the bus stop dodging rain drops. There is a nice covered walkway that keeps you protected from the elements through 90% of the way.

BD75C99B-65A8-4B75-8D7F-8CA9710F149E-X2.jpg

Waiting (not long) for the MK bus.

02C3CEDA-3111-4115-81A1-F2FA108D0ED4-X2.jpg

As if on queue, once we settled in the bus the heavens opened with bucket-fulls of water pouring down from the skies. Thunder crackled and lightning ripped through the clouds.

"I hope Marina and crew, especially Yia-Yia were not in this" I thought to myself.

Traffic was slow as the roads were starting to flood. At the bottom of the overpass near the Contemporary the water level was several feet high.

We were dropped off to a rainy scene of a stopped monorail, and a mass of ponchos, umbrellas and guests exiting the park.

DSC00678-X3.jpg

Our plan was to meet up with Team Marina then secure transport to the Polynesian for dinner. Via text we had a general rendezvous point of the Park's exit. With the mass of people heading out it seemed like we should have been more specific!

Last edited:

MickeyCB

$12,000 of dental work their poor crooked toothed father forked out for.

DSC00676-X3.jpg
I can't quite remember the numbers you have thrown out in past posts, but this is beginning to sound like a fish story. It was thisssss big (expensive)!🤣

But, as a parent of a previously crooked tooth kid I feel your pain!
And, I finally bit the bullet, and got Invisalign for myself and love it.

fractal

Original Poster
I'll have to ask her if she can smell it anymore since she's been there about a week now!

Lol!

I could stare at that last picture all day....
Nicky Ricky Dicky Dawn Daydreaming GIF by Nickelodeon

I can't wait until the train starts running again!
Mickey Mouse Smile GIF

It is a wonderful sight!

All of your pictures are amazing!! I feel like I’m there.

Thanks @93boomer !
I love those balloons photos 😍

Thank you @Ciara !

@fractal - I forgot to add that last night after getting back to YC from MK I told my DD that you and @fractal jr have determined the YC carpet the best to walk barefoot after a long park day. We concur 😊

Lol! Absolutely!

I can't quite remember the numbers you have thrown out in past posts, but this is beginning to sound like a fish story. It was thisssss big (expensive)!🤣

But, as a parent of a previously crooked tooth kid I feel your pain!
And, I finally bit the bullet, and got Invisalign for myself and love it.

I was wondering if anyone took notice - Lol! I'm adjusting for inflation.

giphy.gif

Glad to hear - I've been considering Invisaligns. One more year of Clemson tuition and I may just treat myself!

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Stubborn pup.

DSC00619-X3.jpg
@wdisney9000 would have that dog obeying commands in five minutes!-or less!!

@Zipadeelady ,@cgersic and @fractal :
Florida water smells like carp! More specifically, the well water smells like rotten eggs. When my son lived in the dorms at school in Boca Raton, I would make him wash his (clean) clothes the minute he came home for break so the smell didn’t stink up the house. Once he moved off campus into a house the sulphur smell disappeared thankfully.

Enjoying your report but it is hard typing lefty. I am here though—silent, but here.

slipperalwaysfits

. As children of 1st generation restaurant owners that immigrated from a war-torn Greece, vacations were not a familar concept. In 1976 we all drove down to Florida to see one of my Dad's uncles and spend a few days in Walt Disney World. I really believe that is a big reason WDW holds a special place in Marina and my hearts.

What a lovely story. My husband’s parents both grew up in large families who didn’t know the concept of vacation (or much family time) and my husband’s mom decided they were doing WDW in ‘88 and they really haven’t stopped since! My MIL still loves it and of course I’ve been acclimated to it now.💜💜

cgersic

Florida water smells like carp! More specifically, the well water smells like rotten eggs. When my son lived in the dorms at school in Boca Raton, I would make him wash his (clean) clothes the minute he came home for break so the smell didn’t stink up the house. Once he moved off campus into a house the sulphur smell disappeared thankfully.

Enjoying your report but it is hard typing lefty. I am here though—silent, but here.
The island that I just moved off of has it's own reverse osmosis plant and I have been drinking that water right out of the faucet for 26 years - and I'm a Colorado girl that's used to great tasting water. However, those eggs you speak of are exactly what I've been battling. Turns out you shouldn't leave the water sit in the hot water tank for too long... and this is city water, not well water.
stinky princess leia GIF

Sorry about the hand and hope you're healing!!

fractal

Original Poster
@wdisney9000 would have that dog obeying commands in five minutes!-or less!!

@Zipadeelady ,@cgersic and @fractal :

Thanks @Darstarr ! Hope you are healing well. Florida living is different.
What a lovely story. My husband’s parents both grew up in large families who didn’t know the concept of vacation (or much family time) and my husband’s mom decided they were doing WDW in ‘88 and they really haven’t stopped since! My MIL still loves it and of course I’ve been acclimated to it now.💜💜
Thanks @slipperalwaysfits ! That's a great story too!
The island that I just moved off of has it's own reverse osmosis plant and I have been drinking that water right out of the faucet for 26 years - and I'm a Colorado girl that's used to great tasting water. However, those eggs you speak of are exactly what I've been battling. Turns out you shouldn't leave the water sit in the hot water tank for too long... and this is city water, not well water.
stinky princess leia GIF

Sorry about the hand and hope you're healing!!

Yeah, I can imagine going from Colorado water that was a big adjustment!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom