Yeti Update

AEfx

I think he was just saying that he would have preferred the yeti AA to be in that area, not take up all that room.

No need for a yeti to be Kong-sized....although, as we all know...he almost was...

Yes, that is what I was getting at. The pic you showed is pretty much Kong in white - and why I think they went the way they did.

I believe it was a mistake, because observant fanboys always say I'm wrong, but I stand by my belief that many riders, even in A-mode, would never see him. If you don't know where to look, and aren't looking, it *was* easy to miss - especially because of the point of the coaster he was in where you are going relatively fast and a lot of people squint or even have their eyes closed at that portion. Now, if you knew to expect it, knew where to look, and to keep your eyes open - yes, it was impressive.

But even so, building it up so for a 1/2 second encounter was just a mistake, IMO. To be honest I think that's the real reason they don't fix him. As Everest fans are quick to point out, people don't know what they are missing and seem just fine with it, they like the coaster - and Disney knows that, so why spend the money to enhance 1/2 a second of the ride when the general public (ignorant of what it is supposed to be) is already happy. They might go from 85% happy with the ride to 90%, but if they are already at 85...why spend the $.

That's what I think THEIR thinking is, not what I think it should be...(before someone asks me to defend that position, know I disagree with it, LOL).

IlikeDW

Here's a better one, How about redirecting the well over 20 million dollars they have spent trying to re-fix and re-improve Primeval Whirl to make it safer because it already killed 2 castmembers. It is just a wild mouse carnival coaster. And that comes out of the same budget that is used to maintain and repair Everest, Dinosaur, and Kali.

I assume the 20 million is the cumulative cost of they frequent rehabs and the saftey fixes over the life of the coaster not a one time investment?

NoChesterHester

But even so, building it up so for a 1/2 second encounter was just a mistake, IMO. To be honest I think that's the real reason they don't fix him. As Everest fans are quick to point out, people don't know what they are missing and seem just fine with it, they like the coaster - and Disney knows that, so why spend the money to enhance 1/2 a second of the ride when the general public (ignorant of what it is supposed to be) is already happy. They might go from 85% happy with the ride to 90%, but if they are already at 85...why spend the $.

That's what I think THEIR thinking is, not what I think it should be...(before someone asks me to defend that position, know I disagree with it, LOL).

I bet you are right. In reality the rabid fanboys make up an infantissimally small percentage of the visiting populous. I know TONS of Disney Park "fans," but I'm the only one among them that is on message boards and rumor forums.

For a 10,000 foot view of the situation from the inside of an accounting office, the Yeti is definitely not worth fixing.

That being said we (rabid fans) are the evangelicals. We are the ones that make a stink an also sing the praises. The only thing we can do is continually bring attention to the fact and hope that the drops in the bucket over time will cause it to overflow.

RSoxNo1

Here's a better one, How about redirecting the well over 20 million dollars they have spent trying to re-fix and re-improve Primeval Whirl to make it safer because it already killed 2 castmembers. It is just a wild mouse carnival coaster. And that comes out of the same budget that is used to maintain and repair Everest, Dinosaur, and Kali.

Am I going to call you out over this? Yeah I think I am.

No offense, but you will have a very difficult time making me believe that. In my experience, there is a cap on repairs. Its a general rule that all parks have; Disney included. If you reach a point where repairs surpass the intial cost of building, shut her down. And saftey repairs arent expensive. Not $20 million expensive. Not saying that they didnt spend that much. But I really dont think thats true. Cause this is what $20 million will get you.

MaverickPre2.jpg

Considering the reported cost of Dino-Rama was $120 million, it's safe to say that the overall investment in Primeval Whirl is well over $20 million for the original purchase. As for the repairs that have been done to the load area - I can't really speak to that. Suffice it to say, the money invested over there was not well spent.

As for the Yeti, how about the fact that The Matterhorn is getting 3 new yetis (or at least upgrading their yetis). Admittedly, they aren't as complex as the one in Expedition Everest, but it's a very ironic representation of the maintenance differences on each coast.

To the Kong type scene, I would like to see this in the projection room. The large Yeti doesn't need to be there but some movement of the vehicle would be a great addition.

ctxak98

Im not trying to argue with anyone here but if you missed the Yeti in A-mode...you must of had your eyes closed or blindfolds on...cuz It was impossible to miss. Anyways. I think he should still be fixed. Its at the top of my lists of refurbs Just because its so cool and puts all other rides to shame when it works. Its not just another mountain.

jhastings74

Nicely put Lee, I suppose I'm just the type that is able to overlook the flaws easier than others and still get an amazing experience out of a WDW visit.

I think I'm pretty close to the same as you here. I fall somewhere in the middle, between knowing exactly what the company is capable of, and seeing what they deliver to the guest. I am one of those (like most of us on these boards) who can spot the burned-out bulb, the chipped paint, and the one static AA in a ride with dozens of them. Missing hats on the 'hat pirate'? Yep, I notice. But...I have never left the parks thinking that I didn't get my money's worth. So maybe I am a small part of the problem, I dunno. I have seen the Yeti in both modes and will be the first to tell my co-workers who are planning their trips: "You should have SEEN it back then!"...but I wouldn't say, "I think you should skip it now. It's in 'B'-mode and not worth it."

I just stay cautiously optimistic that it will be fixed....someday...

alissafalco

ok, so I wrote to Disney and complained and they answered me back. This is what I wrote :

When will you fix the Yeti??? I am really upset its been shoved to the
side and ignored...Please fix the Yeti. Thank you.

and this was their answer

Dear Mrs. Falco Williams,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the Walt Disney World Resort.

I am very sorry for your disappointment with the Yeti from Expedition
Everest - Legend of the Forbidden Mountain. Currently we do not have
any informaton to share regarding the Yeti. However, I wanted to
personally assure you that your feedback has been taken seriously and
let you know how much we appreciate your comments.

Mrs. Falco Williams, thank you again for your honest and constructive
feedback. We appreciate your enthusiasm for Disney products and
services.

Best Regards,
Brittany Brunner
Guest Services
Walt Disney World Resort
407-560-2715
[/B]

Rescue Ranger

Of all the times I have been on this, including "A mode", I can honestly say I do not feel I am missing anything with the arm not moving. Is it better, obviously and if it can be fixed, of course it should. But lets face it, all he did was slightly move his arm for the half second you saw him. Its not like it was much of a lasting scene or anything like if the Trex stopped working on JP at Universal.

I care more about the waterfalls always working than the arm of the Yeti personally. If anything, they should add or make the ride slightly longer by having more of the Yeti. His animatronic...or currently lack there of, should have had a more prominent part. Of all the people of have been on Everest with, I think possibly only one of them ever even noticed the Yeti, unfortunately.

G00fyDad

Of all the times I have been on this, including "A mode", I can honestly say I do not feel I am missing anything with the arm not moving. Is it better, obviously and if it can be fixed, of course it should. But lets face it, all he did was slightly move his arm for the half second you saw him. Its not like it was much of a lasting scene or anything like if the Trex stopped working on JP at Universal.

I care more about the waterfalls always working than the arm of the Yeti personally. If anything, they should add or make the ride slightly longer by having more of the Yeti. His animatronic...or currently lack there of, should have had a more prominent part. Of all the people of have been on Everest with, I think possibly only one of them ever even noticed the Yeti, unfortunately.

Oh, it wasn't just arm movement. He came out at ya and swiped his paw at you in the air. It was actually pretty intimidating. If it was just an arm thing they could fix that easy. The issue is with his support structure underneath of him. The "sled" that shoots him out at the train.

BigThunderMatt

The issue is with his support structure underneath of him. The "sled" that shoots him out at the train.

To be fair, it has never been officially confirmed what the problem was and it probably never will be.

However, I think it's fairly common knowledge that his legs and left arm were static and only his right arm, torso, and head moved. I do not believe there was any "sled" involved.

G00fyDad

To be fair, it has never been officially confirmed what the problem was and it probably never will be.

However, I think it's fairly common knowledge that his legs and left arm were static and only his right arm, torso, and head moved. I do not believe there was any "sled" involved.

Then what is the large structure he is attached to that slid him out? I'd call that a sled. And I have heard from many different people, here and other sites, that it was an issue with a crack in the strcuture, or sled, that prevented him from being shown in full "A" mode.

BigThunderMatt

Then what is the large structure he is attached to that slid him out? I'd call that a sled. And I have heard from many different people, here and other sites, that it was an issue with a crack in the strcuture, or sled, that prevented him from being shown in full "A" mode.

His position in the room never changed while you pass through, he's bolted to the wall. If anything was a "sled" it was the internal mechanisms that created his upper body movement but in no way did the yeti's entire body ever move forward horizontally towards the train and then backwards to a starting position.

NoChesterHester

Watch this video then come back and try telling me that he isn't on a sled or slide. :rolleyes:

Pay close attention to the 6:12 mark. :wave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4BS2r2osks

Nice!

What that video does remind me of more then anything is how ambitious the attraction really was. It may just be a "coaster" but the overall vision is what was so intrigueing.

We haven't seen anything close to this scale in Florida since. No, a cute singing omnimover is nice, but it isn't ambitious. We sure don't seem to see anything of this scale on the near horizon either. Avatar is just too far out and too sketchy at this point to get excited...

Everest was both a huge success and failure. No question that it drastically drove attendance to a lagging underbelly park. Huge gains. The park is far better with it then before.

It has failed because not only is it broken, but it has failed to maintain the popularity. Sure it has a line, but how often does that long beautiful queue get all filled up? Not often.

I also think it failed in the sense of scaring the suits. Everest was a huge project with new wildly expensive tech, and the star of the show never really worked. I think the failure of the big expensive never been done before yeti is the reason we get a safe Mermaid omnimover instead of the next groundbreaking ride tech.

Sacred safe by disco yeti.

TalkingHead

well i guess that battle is over...

I think the point to take away from this is that if you didn't see the "Making of..." special on TV, there was no way to fully grasp what the Yeti was capable of because you only got a glimpse of him on the ride.

What's the point of giving him this incredible range of motion if you can hardly appreciate it on the ride?

:shrug:

Cosmic Commando

I think the point to take away from this is that if you didn't see the "Making of..." special on TV, there was no way to fully grasp what the Yeti was capable of because you only got a glimpse of him on the ride.

What's the point of giving him this incredible range of motion if you can hardly appreciate it on the ride?

:shrug:
It's tough to say how much you would really appreciate the yeti figure in full A mode. So few people actually saw it in A mode and it's been years since anyone's seen him move at all. Previews started almost exactly six years ago, and how long has it been since he's been consistently in A mode?

G00fyDad

It's tough to say how much you would really appreciate the yeti figure in full A mode. So few people actually saw it in A mode and it's been years since anyone's seen him move at all. Previews started almost exactly six years ago, and how long has it been since he's been consistently in A mode?

I've only seen him in A mode twice, on the same trip.

But all in all I think that the ride is still okay with him the way he is. Sure, it was awesome seeing the full yeti motion but the ride is still pretty good as is. I know that TDO sees that attitude by many as a reason not to fix the ride but honestly, even if no one felt that way they would find something else to use as an excuse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom