Yeti Still in B mode?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Then it's stupid to design a ride around a single AA, they had to have assumed it would need to come out at some point. The car analogy doesn't work because there isn't any other ride besides stich that is designed around a single AA, stupid desicon. If a single AA breaks on SSE or Dinosaur do they shut the whole ride down for an extended period of time? They shoud have designed the ride so he could be taken out easily for matinence. This was bad planning
Maintenance is one thing...I am sure it is designed around that... but no one is going to design around for a major structural failure. Could they physically run the ride without him? Sure but it would be like running PotC without the Jack in the treasure room or Tiki without Uhoa which would be a horrendous bad show.

wdwmemories

I've been on EE several times and I think it was always in "B" mode. I actually went single rider once and sat with a ride supervisor. I asked him about the Yeti. He was very smart and illusive saying that sometimes the Yeti had a back ache :)

While I would love to see the Yeti in full action, I have also heard that there are stress and structural issues that would be very expensive and time consuming to fix.

Most people wouldn't notice in the 1.4 seconds they get to see the Yeti.

I wish Disney would fix him, but I just don't see this as a practical priority.

Figment632

Maintenance is one thing...I am sure it is designed around that... but no one is going to design around for a major structural failure. Could they physically run the ride without him? Sure but it would be like running PotC without the Jack in the treasure room or Tiki without Uhoa which would be a horrendous bad show.

I see your point and I think it would be worse than the examples you gave. It's just frustrating to think that one of DAK new major attractions could be down for an extended period of time.

RiversideBunny

Sometimes, on the History Channel I think, they show 'Great Engineering Disasters'.
Things like the Tacoma Narrows suspension bridge that vibrated it self to pieces from stong winds are featured.

Maybe the Yeti disaster will be included some day.

Imagine spending millions to create a new attraction, heavily adverstise and promote it, spotlight an abominable snowman, the Yeti, as the main underlying feature, and then have that snowman stop working shortly after the attraction opens due to unforeseen design defects.
Add to that the additional fact that the company that did this is famous for animatronic creations.

Will the broken Yeti become like the unfinished Pop Century buildings that just sit there?
:eek:

Then it's stupid to design a ride around a single AA, they had to have assumed it would need to come out at some point. The car analogy doesn't work because there isn't any other ride besides stich that is designed around a single AA, stupid desicon. If a single AA breaks on SSE or Dinosaur do they shut the whole ride down for an extended period of time? They shoud have designed the ride so he could be taken out easily for matinence. This was bad planning

I know what your saying, but theres no possible way to make a 2 ton AA (guessing on size here, point being its huge) easily removed. Even if it wasnt in the middle of a mountain.....it would still be a huge issue.

Rob562

Well, Stitch does have two theaters, so it can still operate at reduced capacity if one of the Stitch AAs breaks down.

A better analogy would be American Adventure, Hall of Presidents or Carousel of Progress. If *any* of the AAs in those attractions breaks down (perhaps just the speaking-role ones in HoP), the entire attraction is 101 until it's fixed.

I believe they would 101 Spaceship Earth if any of the major AAs were broken. (They've removed "minor" AAs for extended periods before, but major AAs missing become very noticeable)

-Rob

WelshBatman

... you see the yeti for like 1 second at about 50mph... it's not that big of a deal. Yeah A mode is great, but B mode is no reason to skip the ride and I'm sure Disney is working on the problem. They don't build an $100 million ride without thinking of possible breakdowns or malfunctions. They also don't build an $100 million ride without thinking of plan B's or other backups.

Phonedave

Sometimes, on the History Channel I think, they show 'Great Engineering Disasters'.
Things like the Tacoma Narrows suspension bridge that vibrated it self to pieces from stong winds are featured.

Maybe the Yeti disaster will be included some day.

Imagine spending millions to create a new attraction, heavily adverstise and promote it, spotlight an abominable snowman, the Yeti, as the main underlying feature, and then have that snowman stop working shortly after the attraction opens due to unforeseen design defects.
Add to that the additional fact that the company that did this is famous for animatronic creations.

Will the broken Yeti become like the unfinished Pop Century buildings that just sit there?
:eek:

I have "heard" the support steel is bad. I have "heard" that concrete has spalled. I have "heard" the AA itself is not working.

Until I either see some very clear pictures, read a verifiable report (that makes engineering/construction sense) or get to tour it up close myself, all of these reasons for the Yeti being in B mode, and the inability (or lack of desire) to put it back in A mode, are pure conjecture.

-dave

Glasgow

Talk about over-dramatic. Yes, the Yeti is a great part of the ride but you're going like 45mph past it in the dark ... the ride itself still has merit without the AA. Think about the backwards sections, the moving track, the 3 separate architectural structures, etc .. its still got a lot going for it, if you think about it.

Of course they should fix it since its the cental character in the attractions story, but as a few have said, they're not going to do this until the "off" season (if it's a multi-day or week refurb) due to EEs importance to AK

PhoneDave ... "forget the blackjack" ... lol

Figment632

Talk about over-dramatic. Yes, the Yeti is a great part of the ride but you're going like 45mph past it in the dark ... the ride itself still has merit without the AA. Think about the backwards sections, the moving track, the 3 separate architectural structures, etc .. its still got a lot going for it, if you think about it.

Of course they should fix it since its the cental character in the attractions story, but as a few have said, they're not going to do this until the "off" season (if it's a multi-day or week refurb) due to EEs importance to AK

I just don't think it's worth it with out the Yetti. Yes the technology is impressive but it very shirt and not that fast. I love Disney Theming but I think they went overboard here. Too much theming not enough coaster!

Glasgow

I just don't think it's worth it with out the Yetti. Yes the technology is impressive but it very shirt and not that fast. I love Disney Theming but I think they went overboard here. Too much theming not enough coaster!

I can appreciate your point of view - it should certainly be fixed sooner rather than later. I think the attraction is more than the sum of its parts though and can enjoy it w/o the AA. Its all a matter of opinion I suppose.

EpcotServo

"Ahhh, sure! Run the ride WITHOUT the Robot Yeti! Well I'll build my own Expedition Everest! With Blackjack! And hookers! In fact...forget the blackjack and the Everest! Ennnhh...forget the whole thing."
-Yeti

TalkingHead

You could always do what I do: skip DAK, or at least EE, until they repair the sucker. Why waste your precious time on a ride that should be 101?

Disneyson 1

They should just close the ride when they add a night-time event to the park. Then, people will still stay long without the mountain. Then reopen with a new CO2/fog (NOT MIST!) machine, some blue lighting & strobes at stategic points in the mountain, and the new Yeti. Bundle with a penguin exibit. Advertise as "Animal Kingdom just got even MORE chilling." and you have a sucessfull marketing campaign after the 40th.

Phonedave

"Ahhh, sure! Run the ride WITHOUT the Robot Yeti! Well I'll build my own Expedition Everest! With Blackjack! And hookers! In fact...forget the blackjack and the Everest! Ennnhh...forget the whole thing."
-Yeti

Quite honestly, I perfer craps over blackjack, but Bender said blackjack, and you don't want to get on Benders bad side

Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool.

-dave

MythBuster

Well, Stitch does have two theaters, so it can still operate at reduced capacity if one of the Stitch AAs breaks down.

A better analogy would be American Adventure, Hall of Presidents or Carousel of Progress. If *any* of the AAs in those attractions breaks down (perhaps just the speaking-role ones in HoP), the entire attraction is 101 until it's fixed.

I believe they would 101 Spaceship Earth if any of the major AAs were broken. (They've removed "minor" AAs for extended periods before, but major AAs missing become very noticeable)

-Rob

There is no such thing as a "101 figure" anymore in any of the rides, as long as the ride is running, they will continue to put people on it. I know that makes for a very bad show, but there is hardly any "show quality" anymore, it is way down the list.

I have seen it done at Dinosaur before, all 3 Carnos were down and including the Saltasaurus, they still ran the ride and hoped no one noticed or didnt know the difference. They figure if no one complains about it, then it must be ok.

The problem with the Yeti is the Thomson Rod that pushes him the back, his left arm is the support and his left hip is the pivot point, the Thomson Rod has some fractures and needs to be replaced. They have the parts to replace it, but they are re-engineering it so it doesnt happen again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom