Yet Another Bus Crash

Andrew54

I'm really shocked that they have so many wrecks..How many buses do they have on the road at a time? It almost doesn't seem possible to have this many accidents.

Yoop33

I'm really shocked that they have so many wrecks..How many buses do they have on the road at a time? It almost doesn't seem possible to have this many accidents.

Really? Do you know how large Disney is and how many people are coming to and from and on property at a time? Not to mention that anything that happens at or with Disney has to be reported. Im surprised there are not MORE accidents then there actually are

donsullivan

Premium Member
Based on all of the local news video from the site it was a Magical Express bus on the way to the airport. The accident happened at the bottom of the exit ramp from the 417 east to Boggy Creek Road. At the bottom of the ramp, the bus takes a left to head north to the airport.

According to the video on the news this morning, the drivers front corner of the bus was hit by a tractor trailer heading south on Boggy Creek. That intersection has a traffic signal but when I usually go through there about an hour before this on the way to the airport it's a flashing red on the ramp. i don't know what time is changes to normal control each morning.

According to the video reports this morning, most of the passengers were loaded on another bus and taken to the airport to continue their trips. A total of 5 including the bus driver were taken to a local hospital but all were taken by ground which indicated no life-threatening injuries. It wasn't confirmed but the speculation was that the most serious injury was the driver which makes sense given the location of impact.

While every accident is unfortunate, it gets reported disproportionately here relative to any other event in the city because adding Disney to the headline grabs attention.

sweetpee_1993

Oh boy. I'd hate to end a vacation that way. Gee whiz. And with a postal vehicle. Yikes! :eek:

I'll be interested to hear more details as they come available....

cowanfamily

Based on all of the local news video from the site it was a Magical Express bus on the way to the airport. The accident happened at the bottom of the exit ramp from the 417 east to Boggy Creek Road. At the bottom of the ramp, the bus takes a left to head north to the airport.

According to the video on the news this morning, the drivers front corner of the bus was hit by a tractor trailer heading south on Boggy Creek. That intersection has a traffic signal but when I usually go through there about an hour before this on the way to the airport it's a flashing red on the ramp. i don't know what time is changes to normal control each morning.

According to the video reports this morning, most of the passengers were loaded on another bus and taken to the airport to continue their trips. A total of 5 including the bus driver were taken to a local hospital but all were taken by ground which indicated no life-threatening injuries. It wasn't confirmed but the speculation was that the most serious injury was the driver which makes sense given the location of impact.

While every accident is unfortunate, it gets reported disproportionately here relative to any other event in the city because adding Disney to the headline grabs attention.

Nice report, keep us updated on the actual details. Speculation runs high on this board. I'm sure by noon there will have been 2 deaths and the driver of the bus was drunk! LOL

draybook

Have you ever lived anywhere near a big city before? This is like the third accident I've read about in a year or so. That's not exactly a lot of crashes, not even close. Considering the sheer volume of traffic both at WDW and Orlando, three accident in a year is amazingly low.

sweetpee_1993

Oooh.... Ask & ye shall receive! Love this website!

Thank you. And I agree, accidents occur in & around Orlando lots of times every day but are disproportionately reported because of the media's interest in Disney. When I was 12 or so we were in an accident on I-4 on our way home from Disney. (we lived in Altamonte Springs at the time) The running joke was that we **survived** an accident on I-4. I'm sure lots of people do but back then you only ever heard of the fatalities. Same difference, sorta. :D

cowanfamily

Have you ever lived anywhere near a big city before? This is like the third accident I've read about in a year or so. That's not exactly a lot of crashes, not even close. Considering the sheer volume of traffic both at WDW and Orlando, three accident in a year is amazingly low.

20 accidents a year would actually be low. When you consider the ammount of traffic they generate.

I wonder if Harry Potter had anything to do with this wreck! LOL

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am trying to find some current numbers (old links to per capita bus collisions are dead) but WDW as a whole comes in way under the national average of what any other city of a similar size or population would in terms of public transportation accidents.

Andrew54

The 3rd accident... Where the heck have you been?

darthspielberg

While I agree that this site blows things out of proportion when it comes to accidents, there have been a lot more than three bus incidents in the last year. Hell, I was down there for a week in March, and three incidents happened while I was there.

But it's still a low number for somewhere with as much bus traffic as WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom