Yesterday's Observations - Everest changes - Soarin - SE & Breakdowns

BSikor

Original Poster
Want to start off by saying that I visited the parks yesterday and the crowds were not as bad as I thought they would be. There were some long lines (80 minutes of Soarin standby & 90 minutes for Test Track) but most of the lines were 30 and under.

The theme of the day seemed to be ride breakdowns.

The first stop was Expedition Everest. I rode it three times during the cast preview and four more times yesterday. I noticed some differences and wondered if anyone else has noticed them or was it just an issue that day?

First, Everest was down when I got there. I waited a short while and then it was back up and running. At the load area, none of the trains let out a puff of steam when we left the load area. I really liked that touch in the Cast preview and was sad to not see it.

Also at the top of the mountain, the mist is gone as you round the first turn before stopping. Another shame since it added a nice touch.

Also, they changed the lighting on the yeti so you can barely see him. They added a strobe light behind him. The only positive thing to the lighting change is that you can see his eyes glowing red, when you could barely make it out in the past.

There were some CM's taking surveys at the exit of the ride for feedback, I waited and waited but they took too long and I moved on. Oh I didn't mention... someone typed 8008 on the calculator in the beginning of the que ( for those of you who don't know-gotta love maturity)

On other fronts...

Big rip of soundproofing in the doorway of Soarin' heading into the theater that looked like crap.

Spaceship Earth seemed cleaner and brighter.

Mission:Space broke down for a good 10 minutes while we were waiting in line. When it was up an running I only saw two of the four centerfuges running.

Living with the Land was down when we stopped by.

I just seemed like either we had bad luck or everything was breaking down.

The other thing was the CM's almost every one of them that had to give a spiel or presentation was stumbling or stuttering. It was pretty poor. Some of them would say something and then less than a secong later, would say it again, cut themselves off when they realized their mistake.I used to give tours at EPCOT so I know how it can be, but it was just a reoccuring theme of bad delivery.

Had a great time though. Don't want anyone to think otherwise. These are just some observations I want to share.

Let me share one bright spot. Julie at the Magic Kingdom turnstiles was probably one of the best CM's I've ever seen. She was so friendly and positive. She was a ray of light! I watched as she smiled as guests were rude to her. We went to city hall to comment on her, so if ever at the Magic Kingdom, look for Julie and get a hug.

Jerm

BSikor said:
Also, they changed the lighting on the yeti so you can barely see him. They added a strobe light behind him. The only positive thing to the lighting change is that you can see his eyes glowing red, when you could barely make it out in the past.

From what I understand, and I know if I am wrong I will hear about it, you got the B (broken) show of the yeti. When they turn on the strobe it is not moving at full speed, if at all. That way 1. they don't have to shut down the entire attraction due to the yeti not up and 2. it still looks somewhat good...again from what I understand.

J

Mr Bill

The steam on Everest has not been working for a while. Also, it sounds ike what you saw with the yeti was it's "B mode", the version that is used when the yeti is not working properly.

ballewclan

Could you describe the change in lighting of the yeti a bit more. I'm thinking you had B mode. Or was it A mode with the strobe light on as well?

Other than that question great trip report and sorry about all the ride breakdowns! :wave:

EDIT: Jerm beat me to it...

peter11435

Jerm said:
From what I understand, and I know if I am wrong I will hear about it, you got the B (broken) show of the yeti. When they turn on the strobe it is not moving at full speed, if at all. That way 1. they don't have to shut down the entire attraction due to the yeti not up and 2. it still looks somewhat good...again from what I understand.

J
Exactly. They have not changed the lighting on the Yeti at all. There are two different lighting programs that can be used in the scene. Show A is what you saw during the cast previews and is how the Yeti is supposed to be lit. Show B is what you saw yesterday. This program uses only strobes to illuminate the Yeti and is only used when he is not working. With the strobes it is very difficult, almost impossible to tell that he is not moving.

1stStarIC2nite

You really don't know which one you're going to get... it just depends on if the AA is working properly. Out of the 6 times I rode this week, 4 had the A mode (incredible!) and 2 times were the B mode.. which was surprisingly still good... you can at least see the Yeti, and the way the strobes flash it almost makes it look like he's moving anyway...

JuanD_20k

BSikor said:
Mission:Space broke down for a good 10 minutes while we were waiting in line. When it was up an running I only saw two of the four centerfuges running.

This is more than likely simply someone got sick and didnt quite make it out of the ride. They have to shut down the ride to clean up anything.. wouldnt want them to keep it running with any spills. :lookaroun

1disneydood

JuanD_20k said:
This is more than likely simply someone got sick and didnt quite make it out of the ride. They have to shut down the ride to clean up anything.. wouldnt want them to keep it running with any spills. :lookaroun

Ugh, what if someone "spills" while the ride is in full operation? Not to sound gross, but does it fling everywhere?? :confused:

Pongo

1disneydood said:
Ugh, what if someone "spills" while the ride is in full operation? Not to sound gross, but does it fling everywhere?? :confused:

Last time I rode, I wondered the same thing.

My logic told me that the forces would cause the vom,it to go back into your mouth, forcing you to choke. Not a very happy thought.

Good thing I don't get motion sick...

MickeyTigg

You have to remember that Expedition Everest is still in "soft opening" status. Imagineering is going to be tweeking, testing and changing things until the ride opens up on April 7.

So I would not worry too much about any changes at this point.

peter11435

1stStarIC2nite said:
You really don't know which one you're going to get... it just depends on if the AA is working properly. Out of the 6 times I rode this week, 4 had the A mode (incredible!) and 2 times were the B mode.. which was surprisingly still good... you can at least see the Yeti, and the way the strobes flash it almost makes it look like he's moving anyway...
Yeah I have been on the ride 22 times now and have had the A show 16 times and the B show 6 times.

BSikor

Original Poster
Thats good to know. Now that you mention it. I don't remember the yeti moving as much as it did in the past. That explains the strobe effect. It looked like it was moving.

To describe it more... the yeti was dark, with very little lighting on it. There was a strobe in front and behind it. The eyes also glowed red more than I had seen in the past.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Chape19714

BSikor said:
Thats good to know. Now that you mention it. I don't remember the yeti moving as much as it did in the past. That explains the strobe effect. It looked like it was moving.

To describe it more... the yeti was dark, with very little lighting on it. There was a strobe in front and behind it. The eyes also glowed red more than I had seen in the past.

Thanks everyone for the input!
Definately B Mode, based on that.

ulto22

We have to remember that everest is still not " Officaily open". I hope they have everything working when they open it or it will be one of those I can't beleive that that actualy is there effects.

Mecha Figment

I also got the strobe the other day. But the yeti was definatly moving. grant it he wasn't moving as fast or as violently as he was in the past. I have seen A and B( where he doesn't move at all) this was something in between.

I too was in that que line where mission space was broke. what was funny was Test track was yet again busted at the same time. Which when we got on it. broke down for ten minutes leaving us at the belt check stop. But the ride began to work again soon.

Lee

Adventurer
Rode Everest 4 times yesterday...got the B show yeti every time.

Hated it!:fork:

You couldn't even see him until you were right on him, and then it was hard to really make him out.
I felt bad for the first time riders...that's really no way to judge the attraction.

I would almost prefer just having the ride go 101 to fix him rather than the B show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom