Yay!!! I'm a cast member!!!

kcw

How about for characters? Does it work the same way?

Oh, and have any of you heard of or started the P.A.S.S. classes yet that they are setting up for Characters, Attendants, and Photographers? It stands for: Pre-Show, Activity, Sign & Share, and Snapshot & Send-Off.

So those classes are coming up in addition to classes on The Basics. I haven't had either yet.

Yup the schedules work the same way for the characters.....

there's gonna be a class for that?!?!?!?!?! :brick:

ok I love photopass, I really do. I think it's a great service for the families, and when you have a good photographer, you can get some amazing pictures. (I've never worked with you, so I'm not implying that you're not or anything like that!!) But then there are always those photographers, who are just plain lazy. The ones that get frustrated when characters take too long playing in the beginning and won't take a picture until the character and the guest are actually posed. Oh, and the ones that groan everytime they have to bend down or get down on their kness because that certain character spends a lot of time on their knees (;))

I was reading that paper they have posted in the VISA break room about the "job of the photographer" and "job of the character" and I really just laughed. Why does there need to be steps?!? It's really very simple. The character does what they are there to do. They play with the child, they have fun, they sign the autograph, they pose, and then what the heck, the play even more. And here's the kicker....- the photographer just takes pictures. The whole time. Crazy I know!! There shouldn't have to be steps that either one follows!!! The character follows the guests lead- if they want to pose for a picture first, and sign the autograph last, then so be it. Magical Moments don't need to be "created". If the character is doing their job, then they will just happen.

I can't tell you how many times, whether I've been on stage, or at the park visiting a character as guest, watching a photographer and thinking "are you kidding me??!?!" "You just missed SO MANY CUTE PICTURES because you're waiting for the ONE pose. And then you'll take a vertical, and then a horizonatal close-up, and then you're done. I went with two of my friends to character connection and we played with Chip and Dale for quite a while- Dale ran off with me, then the two of them were fighting over us, they were pulling each others bow ties off, they even got in a fight with our sharpies (i'm sure costuming wasn't thrilled!).... and the photographer just sat there and didn't take a single picture. And finally was like "guys, seriously that's enough" So we posed, got our two pictures, and left...... blah. Theres times where I just want to grab the camera from them because I could do a better job.... and get paid more too!

So there's my very very long vent- you kinda struck a nerve if you couldn't tell!!! I have nothing against photopass, just the way some photographers handle it. And whenever I had a good photographer, I was sure to tell them that and that I appreciated what they did. I'm seasonal now, (home from my CP) so I haven't worked with you Gorjus- I don't want you to think this is anyway directed at you!!!

Gorjus

there's gonna be a class for that?!?!?!?!?! :brick:

Yes, for the exact reason you posted below about photographers. And for those characters that pose without interaction, give you 2 shots, and won't hug or do anything that could be considered candid. And for those attendants that say: "stop moving around and taking photos. The guests will want to do that as well."

and when you have a good photographer, you can get some amazing pictures. (I've never worked with you, so I'm not implying that you're not or anything like that!!)

Amen, I agree

But then there are always those photographers, who are just plain lazy.

Amen...I want to slap them. And what kills me is many of them say they transfered from entertainment, so they are fabulous and they won't take up any time at all. Idiots!!! I do not slow down a line, a mom or dad might, but not me. But at the same time, I capture every hug, and magical moment that happens. As long as a character is playing, I am shooting.

It's really very simple. The character does what they are there to do. They play with the child, they have fun, they sign the autograph, they pose, and then what the heck, the play even more. And here's the kicker....- the photographer just takes pictures. The whole time. Crazy I know!!

Amen, Amen, Amen!!!

There shouldn't have to be steps that either one follows!!! .......Magical Moments don't need to be "created". If the character is doing their job, then they will just happen.

Thus the classes. Unfortunately for the photographer, there are characters that won't even hug, especially face characters when all they have to do is use their voice and ask for it. There is one girl who is nicked named one shot Minnie. She hates photopass and won't pose for more than one shot. One Ariel told me that the line was long and they were going into Hug and Shove. I told her that as long as there was a hug, I would keep up. She talked as she signed, she posed for my 2 photos, and she gave the quickest hugs, but I knew they were coming and caught them. I had what I needed and she was able to move the line.

I can't tell you how many times, whether I've been on stage, or at the park visiting a character as guest, watching a photographer and thinking "are you kidding me??!?!" "You just missed SO MANY CUTE PICTURES

Amen, Amen, Amen!!! Move your butt and capture photos.

So there's my very very long vent- you kinda struck a nerve if you couldn't tell!!! I have nothing against photopass, just the way some photographers handle it.

I agree with you 200% in case you couldn't tell.

And whenever I had a good photographer, I was sure to tell them that and that I appreciated what they did. I'm seasonal now, (home from my CP) so I haven't worked with you Gorjus- I don't want you to think this is anyway directed at you!!

Fear not, I know it isn't directed at me, because you and I are of the same mind on this subject. And when I have a good character, I immediately write up a Guest Service Fanatic card and hand it to them. Just the other night I had to leave before a set was over, but there was a break in the set (toontown, princess room). I went up to Cinderella and asked her to give the Guest Service Fanatic card to her "very special friend".

OK, off to see the July 3rd fireworks at MK!!!!! I love my job:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

WDWKat26

I love hearing about people who are avid GSF givers. I am an avid GSF giver, especially to good Photopass People and Attendants. It's tough finding a good Photopass person who knows when to take awesome pictures! I love the candid photos where they're not posed, those are the best ones and when they're not taken advantage of, that bothers me.

kcw

Thus the classes. Unfortunately for the photographer, there are characters that won't even hug, especially face characters when all they have to do is use their voice and ask for it. There is one girl who is nicked named one shot Minnie. She hates photopass and won't pose for more than one shot. One Ariel told me that the line was long and they were going into Hug and Shove. I told her that as long as there was a hug, I would keep up. She talked as she signed, she posed for my 2 photos, and she gave the quickest hugs, but I knew they were coming and caught them. I had what I needed and she was able to move the line.

I swear that I'd love to do face simply so that I could make up for those faces like that (not ariel). but don't get me started on love & shove. I don't do it. that's it. glad you're with me on this though- maybe I'll get to work with you when I come down in a few weeks!!

and I think I'd be more into GSF cards, but I never really understood the whole thing.... I got a few but never knew what to do with them!!

Gorjus

I am an avid GSF giver, especially to good Photopass People and Attendants. .....snip.........I love the candid photos where they're not posed, those are the best ones and when they're not taken advantage of, that bothers me.

Hopefully you and I will get to work together soon. GSF (Guest Service Fanatic Cards) all the way!!! Funny but sad story: Often if I am taking over for a photographer, the photographer before me sucked. So when I capture the candids, the character is so shocked that they praise my efforts. Unfortunately, all characters aren't avid GSF givers. However, one day it was the perfect storm or good photographers and good characters and good attendants. Mickey and Jacquie and JC had been working together most of the day and they had formed a mutual admiration society. When I took over, I was wonderful, but I wasn't JC. Mickey and Jacquie and JC all gave each other GSF cards. I gave Mickey and Jacquie one and they felt the need to apologize for not giving me one. I told them to relax. JC was great and I was not offended that they fell in love with him first.

As for posed candids, I may disagree with you there a bit. One day, I had the most amazing Cinderella...I'm sorry, one day Cinderella was in a most amazing mood every other hour. She would greet each child with such enthusiasm. She would always ask for a hug and if the child had their head turned away from the camera, she would end the hug with a forehead to forehead pose while engaging the child in conversation. I don't know if she was doing it for my camera, but each child received a fabulous candid photo. I'm pretty sure she was staging candids, but it worked for me. It also created magical moments for the guests as well.

but don't get me started on love & shove. I don't do it. that's it. glad you're with me on this though- maybe I'll get to work with you when I come down in a few weeks!!

and I think I'd be more into GSF cards, but I never really understood the whole thing.... I got a few but never knew what to do with them!!

I can see why love and shove is necessary. Do 150 people get to see a character quickly or do 100 people get more time with a character in an hour. You want to give each child time, but you want to be sure each child has a chance to meet their favorite.

Let me know who you'll be playing with.

As for GSF cards, oh my, they rock. They go on your record card...the same card that tells people you've been late by a couple of minutes also tells people that people have enjoyed your work enough to comment on it. Give the card to any manager in your dept. Then the thin copy goes in the GSF card box in your base. The thicker copy is for your record. Once a month, the do a drawing in each base of the recipients of GSF cards. The winner gets movie tickets. Then there is a wider competition park wide.

Mecha Figment,
Are you only Epcot or are you other parks? Do you only hang with Genie?

Mecha Figment

i'm impressed that you picked out that my avitar is from epcot. but not just genie, He's my favorite Disney character, but i'm mostly just learning about the bear necessities of life.

Gorjus

i'm impressed that you picked out that my avitar is from epcot. but not just genie, He's my favorite Disney character, but i'm mostly just learning about the bear necessities of life.

Epcot wasn't hard. How many places can you see a character with a lake behind them? Is AK currently your most frequent park? It is the only park I can think of where learning the bear necessities of life happens on a regular basis.

Mecha Figment

I actually don't have a home park at the moment. its probably a toss up of MGM or Animal kingdom though. Probably animal kingdom because they get the most use out of me there.

bsummer

Not to mention you can see the Epcot ball in the top right corner of the pic. Haha! Work it DAK...work it!! The big blue ant is the best!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom