Yak and Yeti Sentinel Review (not good)

PKD

Original Poster
I didn't see this posted anywhere and thought some would be interested in it.

From the Sentinels food reviewer:

So then, Yuk & Yeti it is.

The people behind the first – and only -- full-service restaurant inside Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park set themselves up for derision when they named the place Yak & Yeti and then made what must have been a conscious decision to serve second-rate food.

The slogan could be “Yakkity Yak – Don’t eat that!”

I’m not sure who should take the biggest blame. Certainly Landry’s Restaurants, the company that operates Y & Y as well as Rainforest Café just outside the park’s gate, should take a big part of the responsibility. It’s their food, after all, and they should be ashamed to serve it.

But the Disney folks should take some of the fault, as well. Most of the people who choose to dine at the restaurant – innocent victims, they – probably do so thinking it is a Disney-operated establishment, and so expect it to match the quality of other restaurants in other parks. Why don’t the Disney Culineers demand oversight to protect quality assurance, or at least insist that the food be average?

OK, there was one food item I liked. It was a plate of green beans that had been coated in batter (the beans, not the plate) and fried and served with a sweet dipping sauce. A nice way to eat vegetables. But $6.99 for a stack of green beans? Are they kidding?

No, they’re serious, otherwise they wouldn’t have charged $12.99 for the eensy dim sum basket that had a few pork pot stickers, pork and shrimp dumplings and two stale, doughy steamed buns with what looked to be about a teaspoon of barbecue inside.

My guest chose the Shaoxing steak and shrimp entrée, which featured shrimp on skewers coated with something the menu described as tempura batter. Actually, it more closely resembled the substance that insulates a common corn dog at your basic county fair. The meat half of the duo was good, skirt steak saturated with soy marinade. The thin steak was wrapped around a timbale of jasmine rice. The plate also included a rather soggy medley of vegetables – snow peas, bell peppers, some mushrooms – but the whole thing didn’t come close to being worth the $22.99 fee.

For my entrée I chose the crispy mahi mahi, and crispy is their description for it. Mine would be hard and crusty. It was a fair-sized fillet covered with bread crumbs then overcooked so that it was dark brown and dry. The cost was $19.99, rice and veggies included.

For dessert my guest and I shared the fried wontons and there was enough left over for two other people. That’s because we each took one bite and pushed the rest away. It consisted of wontons filled with cream cheese then deep-fried. Whether it was intentional to serve them cool I cannot say, but cool they were.

Adult drinks include a variety of martinis. There was a list of sakes, but none were available on the day I visited. I settled for a glass of plum wine, which was beyond cloying.

The restaurant can best be described as rustic if not downright dilapidated. It’s a large place, two stories, with 250 seats inside, yet the rooms are mostly smaller so it doesn’t have a cavernous feel. While my guest and I were eating, a manager walked through the room talking loudly on a walkie-talkie, relaying the availability of tables to the front desk, oblivious to the guests seated in the room.

Walls have that quaint look of cracked plaster, but the tabletops are covered with attractive tile work. I won’t question the wisdom of having one restroom, on the first floor, for such a large restaurant. I obviously don’t understand such things.

Yak & Yeti is right there as you enter the

Asia
section of the park. Its location accounts for the pan-Asian menu. The menu could not be described as extensive. That’s by design: Since Yak & Yeti is the only full-service restaurant inside the park making it attractive to tired and hungry guests, management didn’t want the masses spending too much time mulling over the menu. They’d prefer people come in, choose something, eat then go on their way. I suggest skipping the first three steps.

The thing that gets me agitated about this place isn’t the ridiculous prices or the get-‘em-in; get-‘em-out mentality. It’s the apparent arrogance that because they’re the only full-service restaurant inside the park they don’t need to do a better job. That’s insulting.

Shame on Landry’s Restaurants, and shame on Disney for allowing it.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
:lol: Nice... so it IS Rainforest (quality & service wise)... sans the animitronics, & just different decor & menu. I could of told them that. :lol:

rosie.ca

I would have to agree with that review... it was bad . The staff was ok ... however they were never around after the food was dropped off. The steak was tasty and well cooked but my chicken was overly salty and sour - and not in a good way. The rest was soggy and bland. They list that they have chai tea and green tea... but neither are in stock ... in fact there was no tea . Also same issue with the sake.
And everything was highly expensive ... and II usually choose expensive places to eat so it is odd for me to complain about that.

It was reminding me of that Monty Python sketch about the cheese shop.

I would not eat there again, in fact I would warn anyone thinking about the Yak and yeti to NOT go there.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While I generally take most reviews with a big bag of salt this one is pretty accurate. I am a very easy to please person and left Yak and Yeti felling like I had just been taken advantage of. The food was no better than the average Chinese take out and the prices were simply insane. With the current menu and prices I will not go back for any more than drinks and an appetizer and the possibility of me doing even that is pretty unlikely. It is a shame to as I was really looking forward to this place.

CedricCSCFL

I was over there marathon weekend with my sister, and the wait was too long for the actual Yak & Yedi so we just ate at the counter service outside... kinda expensive as Disney food are, but we both enjoyed what we had - she the [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mandarin Chicken Salad, and me the [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Crispy Honey Chicken.

Yeah, the sentinel review was Harsh, but I could see that just by its limited menu. I thought the decor would've gotten a better review though.

I wonder what kind of review Tusker House had before it was converted into a buffet. I loved the food there... maybe they should change it back. *shrug*
[/FONT]

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I have yet to go to it yet...but I assumed it would be bad....I just had hoped it maybe worth it...oh well :(

I checked them out... in DEC.. and it was what I had expected... as a Landrys operation... just as I had predicted many many months ago. :lol::shrug:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Steve, I didn't add this to the review section since it wasn't my review. I hope that was correct. I was thinking the review section was to be "personal" reviews.

Yep you are right, that section is just for personal reviews. :)

rosie.ca

you know there could be some confusion over the yak and yeti restaurant and the yak and yeti counter service ... I did try the counter service as well and it was better than what was inside the restaurant... it wasn't spectacular but was ok . (coulda had more sauce on my honey chicken and very stong smelling ... not a bad smell but strong)... the counter service I would consider eating again

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I kinda liked the counter service portion of the restaurant. Now, if the food inside were the same quality and 3 times as expensive................

kimmychad

i just pray that dinosaur will be decent food and average service. but after reading the reviews for yak and yeti and having eaten at rainforest, i doubt it will be any better

shoppingnut

No big surprise, rainforest isn't great and I won't eat there so, figured Yak would be the same. Now why couldn't they open up a cheesecake factory, yummmmmm.

BRER STITCH

So strange how things go!

We honestly had a fantastic meal there in December! I think I even wrote somewhere that it was one of favorite meals of the week, and we ate a lot as we were on the dining plan.

Guess there's no reason this experience would not be as objective as those at every other restaurant.

:shrug:

Phonedave

I have it booked in April. I'll go, because the proof is in the pudding - so to speak.

But I am looking less and less foward to it. Rainforest is a place I avoid. Most Landrys places are.

-dave

tomm4004

I had the same food as the reviewer and I enjoyed it. But then, I'm single and eat most of my food out of a box via microwave, so I don't exactly have refined taste buds.

TwoTigersMom

So strange how things go!

We honestly had a fantastic meal there in December! I think I even wrote somewhere that it was one of favorite meals of the week, and we ate a lot as we were on the dining plan.

Guess there's no reason this experience would not be as objective as those at every other restaurant.

:shrug:

Same here! I went last week. We had a great and very attentive server and the food was delicious. :slurp:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom