Yacht club vs contemporary

the_rich

Original Poster
So I'm torn between the two resorts right now. I havent stayed at either as of yet. Yacht club is a standard view and contemporary would be a water view garden wing room. They are the same price. Any insight would be helpful.

The Mom

Premium Member
So I'm torn between the two resorts right now. I havent stayed at either as of yet. Yacht club is a standard view and contemporary would be a water view garden wing room. They are the same price. Any insight would be helpful.
It depends upon what you want to do. The Contemporary is within walking distance of the MK only. Yacht Club is within walking distance of Epcot and sometimes a long walk to DHS - or a boat ride to both.

The Yacht Club has the better pool - if it isn't being renovated.

Tough call for sure. It depends on what park you plan to spend most of your time. I love Epcot and Hollywood the most. For me, Yacht Club. It's proximity gets you close to whatever festival is happening at Epcot and all those great food options. Gotta love that back entrance to Epcot. It's also fun to spend some time, especially at night, along thr Boardwalk.

the_rich

Original Poster
The trip would be Aug 24-29th and we would be spending a day in each park. My main concern is if it is worth doing a garden wing room. I've heard reviews saying it's nowhere near as good as staying in the main tower.

NeedMoreMickey

I love staying at the Epcot resorts. We eat most our dinners in Epcot so makes it very convenient to walk over after an afternoon at the pool.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
IMHO as someone that's done both Garden wing and the main building standard and club as well as Yacht standard and club our preference is the Yacht Club just due to the logistical challenges of the Contemporary. Travel distance from your room to any of the shops and dining (well Steakhouse 71 is the exception) in the Contemporary has a bottleneck of the elevators which during meal times can be a struggle to actually get one. As @NeedMoreMickey alluded to and @Boardwalk-empire stated , dining options at and near the Yacht Club are more numerous and varied. The Contemporary was great when there was only the Magic Kingdom in the 1970's but its size and infrastructure didn't keep up with the advancing years.

KeithVH

I kinda agree with networkpro, walking distances will definitely be different. I'll add that, unless you're partial to monorail loop dining options like Naroossees or Ohanas, you'll have a wider variety of options around YC. And, has been said, one of the best places for Epcot-oriented visits.

NelleBelle

I booked YC with my AP discount back in Jan and had a slightly better rate. But I was very tempted to switch to the contemporary except that I really didn’t want to be in the garden wing. I’m keeping YC for the same reasons given above. The elevators at the CR are a nightmare and since I have someone who uses an ECV, trying to get one during “rush hour” in the mornings for the monorail or dining will be nothing but an exercise in frustration. The pools at YC are a better option as well!

Aestheticl

zurgandfriend

I recently looked at the Yacht club. The Yacht Club is dog friendly; they do have non-pet rooms and dogs are not allowed in the pool area or restaurants. Let me say I love dogs, but they don’t love me anymore. In later life I developed severe allergies to dogs, cats, and horses. My sister-in-law got a hypo-allergenic Golden-Doodle, who loves to come to my house to run and play in the yard and get his ears scratched and to whom I am even more allergic than most dogs.

The Magic Kingdom resort area is my favorite great restaurants and resorts to explore, walking distance to the Magic Kingdom and a monorail ride to EPCOT. As others have said what park or parks will you send more time at and what restaurants would you prefer to eat at?

the_rich

Original Poster
Thank you all for the advice. My original plan was to rent dvc points and stay at the boardwalk villas or bay lake tower(hence yacht club since it's similar). But for my stay there was no ability anywhere on property. I was just gonna book through Disney but I wound up getting a 3 day stay at kidani village renting points and then paying cash for 2 days at akl. Saved enough money this way that it pays for my park tickets.

Eric Graham

Probably a little late, but we've always enjoyed the YC because of its incredible pool and also because it is a fairly short walk to Epcot and HS. Or, a short boat ride. We really enjoy dining at Cape May at the BC, right next to it. And, had in the past splurged for the crab legs. So delicious!

NelleBelle

Just a note to those with dog allergies…service dogs can stay anywhere so if you have allergies, request a deep clean and have allergies noted in your reservation.

JIMINYCR

The trip would be Aug 24-29th and we would be spending a day in each park. My main concern is if it is worth doing a garden wing room. I've heard reviews saying it's nowhere near as good as staying in the main tower.
When we do Contemp we always book the garden wing. The rooms are much quieter than the tower and you dont have to fight waiting for the elevators to come. It can be a pain waiting for arrival and having space to ride. ( Varies on time of year and buzy season) . We enjoy having the different pools, the electric water parade at night, the shops, the arcade, nice restaurant , walking access to MK, monorail to other resorts and EP. There is a short walk to the main building but that walk isnt as bad as some make it out to be.
Ive never stayed at YC so I can only speak about Contemp stays. Dont sell the garden wing short, they are nice.

Weather_Lady

I don't think you're going to be disappointed either way.

My personal vote would be for the Yacht Club, simply for the ease of being able to walk to two of the parks (which my family enjoys, even in August, but you may feel differently about that)! Still, it's a close comparison. Perhaps you can simply ask yourself which theme you like better.

Hockey89

IMO, this is easy.... YC all day long.... Can walk to two parks.... Tons of nice dinners within walking distance. better pools....

cbarry26

We've stayed at both and would choose The Yacht Club any day over the Contemporary. The whole vibe of the Yacht Club - actually the whole Crescent Lake area - is far more enjoyable, to us at least. My wife runs, so her morning run around the lake and over to the Studios is a key thing for her. You can't really do anything like that comfortably at the Contemporary without going on roads. I don't run at all! But a stroll at night around the lake over to the BoardWalk is something that I treasure on our trips. More food options. The pool is extraordinary. There's just a more peaceful vibe over at the Yacht Club. Even the decor - that's a personal thing - but I prefer the classic architecture and design of the whole Yacht and Beach complex as opposed to the modern aesthetic of the Contemporary. I like going to the Contemporary, but at this point, it's someplace that I visit and not someplace I would splurge for a stay. Glad I did it once, but I don't have to stay there again.

Touchdown

To be the contrarian, I would choose Contemporary. For one, I stay in the garden wing so that’s $200-400 a night less. The walk from the garden wing is very manageable.

And second, I’m a MK/Epcot person not a Epcot/DHS person. Contemporary has quick access to MK in both directions, and quick access to Epcot (but not back where you have to go the whole resort loop.). Yacht Club was nice during the pandemic but it can’t overcome the two points I mentioned above.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If you're out near the end of the wing, it's almost as far to walk from your room to the lobby as it is from the lobby to the park*.

* OK, not really, but it sure feels like it**!

** Especially after a day in the park!

There is a short walk to the main building but that walk isnt as bad as some make it out to be.
From the end of the wing down by the water, it's 2/10s of a mile.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom