Yacht & Beach Club or Polynesian????

sheko2006

Hi all would you stay at the Polynesian at $240 per night or the Yach & Beach Club at $189 per night. It all adds up and just trying to be sure.

WDWFanatic

If it is your first time and want to do it right, THE POLY!!!!!! That is a great experience, i have stayed there many times. Great atmosphere!! monorail transportation! do it!!:sohappy: and have a great time.

The others are great to but to me nothing beats being on the resort monorail loop.

Upvote 0

csm7030

What are your interests? You can't go wrong with the Poly and being on the monorail line. It is easy to get to the Magic Kingdom and you can see the fireworks from the beach.

My wife and I are big Epcot fans, we love to go walk around the World Showcase to eat, drink, and listen to music. For this alone, I would consider the Yacht & Beach Club, since they are within walking distance to the back entrance to Epcot.

Upvote 0

jbulkley78

depends

Depends where you're planning on spending more time and if you're going with kids. If you have kids with you and you'll probably be at MK more than anywhere else Poly is the way to go, but if you might spend more time at EPCOT you can't beat the 5 minute walk to EPCOT from the Beach Club.

Upvote 0

nyy102

They are both great resorts, and I'm sure you will have a great time either way, but I favor the Yacht and Beach Club. The Yacht and Beach has one of the best resort pools I've ever seen anywhere, with a great slide and its more than large enough to accomodate 2 combined hotels. I also really like being able to take the 5-10 minute walk to Epcot, and if you don't mind walking there is a slightly longer walk to MGM (to be honest, I haven't tried this one out yet, but I will in about a week). There are good restaurants in the Yacht and Beach (Yachtsman's Stakehouse, especially), plus the Boardwalk is right there with more restaurants and shops, plus, as I said before, you would be only minutes away from Epcot and all of the food and shops of its World Showcase. This has all added up personally to make the Beach Club my favorite WDW resort, so maybe I've been a little biased, but, as I said before, I'm sure you will have a great time either way.

Upvote 0

gary_flower

Both are exellent.
It depends what you want. i think the YC & BC are the best because once the parks hae closed you can go to the boardwalk and relax there. Plus it is a VERY close walk to EPCOT and i love IllumiNaton so we can at a quick walk 5 mins before the show and watch it and i 5 min walk back to our room. Plus it has a VERY cool sand bottom pool. i just love that area. ill be there in Dec getting married :)

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
First off, you can't go wrong with either one, so it's not a bad problem to have. Both are great accomodations. The Poly has a theming that is very addictive. You should go there some time. Y&B is also a great place that is comfortable and enjoyable.

$50 a night for room difference would lean me to Y&B

The main question I have is what is your vacation group made up of and where do you spend most of your time? If you spend a lot of time in Epcot/MGM, Y&B allows walking to Epcot and Walk/Boat to MGM. Nice and convenient.

If you spend much of your time at MK, then Poly would probably be a better choice. Y&B is probably slightly better (shorter) with busses to AK and DTD as it is closer.

I would probably choose Y&B for myself (but we've spend a number of visits at the Poly, and always enjoyed it).

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would vote for the Poly.

The Yacht and Beach club have the benefit of location (walking distance to Epcot and MGM) but IMHO that is about it with the exception of the pool. The pool there is the best on property so much so that you need resort ID to even get close to it. Other than that there is nothing overly thrilling or unique about the resorts themselves.

The Poly on the other hand has very easy access to MK and Epcot via the Monorail but the bus service to the other parks has always seemed a bit lacking but in comparison the bus service to AK and MK is about the same at Y&BC so it almost balances out. The resort itself though wins hands down over Y&BC. It has great theming, unique dinning, nice view of Wishes from the beach and it feels like you are in another part of the world.

It provides the escape from reality that Yacht and Beach Club lack. That is why the Poly gets my vote.

Upvote 0

sheko2006

Original Poster
More Questions... :)

Hi all thanks for all your responses. Yes very difficult decision. I have bounced back and forth now for 3 months! I am going next week.... I have settled at the Yacht and Beach Club because the rate was so good but the Poly still has Garden view rooms at the $240 rate. My kids are 9 7 and 4. The monorail is awesome as I have been staying at the Floridian for the last 4 years but I hear the pool is amazing at the Yacht and Beach club. As for where I will spend my time well I would say I spend 40 5o 50% at MK and the rest at Epcot, MGM, AK and Downtown Disney. In order I spend the most at MK, the Epcot, MGM, DTD and lastly AK. I am nervous about not being on the monorail - relying on buses with my kids. I also got the impression that I had a better chance at getting an upgrade at the Yacht and Beach then at the Poly. I got the sense that the Epcot resorts are not as busy as the MK resorts and that when I spoke to the front desk I had a better shat at an upgrade. Thoughts??

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
In regards to the free upgrade, don't' rely on it.

Pretty much the only reason upgrades are given out any more is due to operational concerns. For example if you are booked for a standard room and all the standard rooms in a particular section of the resort are occupied but there are unbooked preferred rooms available, you could be upgraded so more staff would not have to be put on in order to accommodate another section of the resort opening for only a few guests.

At one time upgrades seemed to be given away at will but now they are pretty rare and from my understanding if you ask for one and it is available the staff is required to charge you for the upgrade.

So I would not let the possibility of an upgrade effect your decision.

If 40% of your stay will be at MK the Poly is the best way to go.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
sheko2006 said:
Hi all thanks for all your responses. Yes very difficult decision. I have bounced back and forth now for 3 months! I am going next week.... I have settled at the Yacht and Beach Club because the rate was so good but the Poly still has Garden view rooms at the $240 rate. My kids are 9 7 and 4. The monorail is awesome as I have been staying at the Floridian for the last 4 years but I hear the pool is amazing at the Yacht and Beach club. As for where I will spend my time well I would say I spend 40 5o 50% at MK and the rest at Epcot, MGM, AK and Downtown Disney. In order I spend the most at MK, the Epcot, MGM, DTD and lastly AK. I am nervous about not being on the monorail - relying on buses with my kids. I also got the impression that I had a better chance at getting an upgrade at the Yacht and Beach then at the Poly. I got the sense that the Epcot resorts are not as busy as the MK resorts and that when I spoke to the front desk I had a better shat at an upgrade. Thoughts??

Thanks!

Now that you've made your decision, don't second guess yourself. Ultimately you will de great at any resort...just like the large number of folks that are perfectly content at All Star.

I think you will find the room sizes at Y&B a little bigger than Poly. You may have a better chance at upgrade, but those things are very fickle, so never count on it.

The only time the busses will be a challenge with the kids is if you stay for fireworks/late parades at MK. Then it is a bit of a crush, but once you get the swing of it, there's not much problem. Unless you are going to the MK first thing, you can always walk through Epcot and get on the monorail to MK.
The kids will really love the pool.

Upvote 0

csm7030

I second what Yoda said about upgrades. I used to read all of these stories about how you should always ask for an upgrade at check in. I used to always do just what I read (be courteous, friendly, mention some special event, etc...) but I never got anything but an offer to pay for an upgrade if available. When I asked a cast member about it, I was told that they used to be able to give free upgrades, but they are no longer able to do so. Others may have a different experience, but I am just passing along mine.

Upvote 0

SCRacerX70

nyy102 said:
They are both great resorts, and I'm sure you will have a great time either way, but I favor the Yacht and Beach Club. The Yacht and Beach has one of the best resort pools I've ever seen anywhere, with a great slide and its more than large enough to accomodate 2 combined hotels. I also really like being able to take the 5-10 minute walk to Epcot, and if you don't mind walking there is a slightly longer walk to MGM (to be honest, I haven't tried this one out yet, but I will in about a week). There are good restaurants in the Yacht and Beach (Yachtsman's Stakehouse, especially), plus the Boardwalk is right there with more restaurants and shops, plus, as I said before, you would be only minutes away from Epcot and all of the food and shops of its World Showcase. This has all added up personally to make the Beach Club my favorite WDW resort, so maybe I've been a little biased, but, as I said before, I'm sure you will have a great time either way.

Hehe... it's a bit more than "slightly" longer, but it's not all that bad. We did it from the Boardwalk and the walk time was about 20 minutes. Good exercise, but we took the boat back to the hotel at the end of the day. :D

The YC/BC/BW is one of my favorites when planning more Epcot related activities, as opposed to doing mostly MK stuff. For MK, it's either the Poly or Contemporary.

Upvote 0

GenerationX

When we stayed at the Yacht Club, my sons were 9, 7, and 5. They loved loved loved Stormalong Bay. This is probably their favorite resort; I know it is my wife's favorite resort (mine, too).

The only free upgrade we've ever received at WDW was in the slow travel year of 2002. I wouldn't count on it at any WDW resort now.

Have fun! :wave:

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

I stayed at the Yacht Club last weekend and no upgrades... I even dropped the fact that it was my one year anniversary, but nope. We had a great view of a tree! We honestly didn't care because the pool flat out rocks. I didn't go to any parks last weekend, because we hung out at the pool the entire time.

The slide is pretty cool and add that to a lazy river, a whirlpool, and a sandy beach, that's a great day!

Don't worry about the bus situation to MK. We waited maybe 15 minutes for a bus to MK, and that's when one was full and we waited for another. It was only full because a family reunion was at the resort and all left MK together.

Great choice! If you're a fan of cocktails at the pool, try the "Southern Hurricane." Great stuff!

Upvote 0

nyy102

SCRacerX70 said:
Hehe... it's a bit more than "slightly" longer, but it's not all that bad. We did it from the Boardwalk and the walk time was about 20 minutes. Good exercise, but we took the boat back to the hotel at the end of the day. :D

As I said, I haven't gotten to try the walk to MGM yet, so my information regarding that statement was limited, but I am glad that it's only 20 minutes, as I was looking at aerial photos before and thought it would be closer to 40.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom