WTH is going on with ADR's??

Chi84

Premium Member
Having to wait beyond a certain amount of time for ADRs is frustrating, and at some point it crosses beyond just being frustrating. 15 minutes seems irritating, beyond 30 minutes is a major problem, IMO. That said, if I have 7 ADRs and this happens only once over a week-long vacation, is it really a problem in need of a solution? I can say personally that over 3 years of consecutive trips during October free dining, we've had 20+ ADRs at a mix of buffet, standard, and deluxe dining locations. We had once instance that was a debacle (45+ minute beyond ADR at Brown Derby) and the rest were all seated within 15 minutes or less of our reservation time (generally 5 minutes or less). I was still no less upset with my experience at Brown Derby because of the other good results, but it does make me question whether it's realistic to expect them to overhaul the system as a result. Perhaps I've just been lucky and perhaps others have just been unlucky. What I think should be expected from the restaurant is them doing something special for tables where this problem arises - and the guest shouldn't have to complain to make that happen.
This has pretty much been our experience too. We visit in May and October, sometimes just two of us and other times with a party of six. We almost always go to a table service restaurant for dinner and are usually seated within a few minutes of our reservation time. The only long waits I can remember were at 'Ohana about three years ago, Le Cellier before it became 2 credits and Coral Reef many, many years ago. The wait at 'Ohana was probably about 30 minutes, LeCellier over 45 (so not worth it) and I can't remember how long at Coral Reef. Other than those three times, we have been very lucky. It could be because we no longer do the "popular" restaurants - now we prefer to have dinner at DS or one of the resorts. Our next trip will be with seven people (new grandson), so I'm hoping our luck will hold out.

Kkar

Original Poster
They could take less ADR reservations and more people will complain. They can bring your food out faster, then people will complain. They can tell you that you only have an hour to eat your meal then you have to get out, then people will complain. They can "leave your table open" until you get there, then the servers will be standing around and complain that they are not getting enough tips. For the most part, we have not waited that long for our table. But we tend to eat as early as possible. There are the exceptions where things happen, like people linger. I don't blame the restaurant for that since it's not like they can go kick the people out. And those who do linger are usually the people that don't care if someone is waiting for the table because they do exactly what they want to do no matter how it affects others. You having TIW card, I imagine that you eat at WDW enough to know that sometimes these things happen. Twice in how many visits? It does not seem that bad.
We do know these thing can happen, and I know this falls in into the "first world problems" category. As TIW members, we do eat at signatures frequently. This time though, we were just there for a long weekend: three TS ADR's, and two of the three had unacceptable waits. Like I said, while we have experienced occasional delays in the past, it seems to us to becoming a more frequent trend.

Richie248

We had the same thing happen at Toledo last night. Had a 7:35 reservation, checked in at 7:30, told a "few minutes", checked back in at 8pm and told they were running behind. Bad form. I've worked in the industry and you're pretty aware of delays. Would rather have reception be upfront about the delay, would have hunkered down at the bar.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I'm actually very much in favor of this relatively new policy. Before it was enacted, people would make 3 or 4 (or more!) ADRs for the same meal and then just take the one they decide on when meal time rolls around. This would mean that the restaurants weren't full, yet there were no ADRs available. With the policy in place people have to be responsible for their booking choices, which works out well for everyone.
So instead of blocking multiple reservations, Disney monetized it and makes $10 per person on no-shows.

Even with this relatively new policy, tables still sit empty and people wait 45 minutes to be seated... and you're very much in favor of that?

danyoung56

So instead of blocking multiple reservations, Disney monetized it and makes $10 per person on no-shows.
Even with this relatively new policy, tables still sit empty and people wait 45 minutes to be seated... and you're very much in favor of that?

Two different issues here. The booking software has been updated to NOT allow multiple reservations. So now it's all about your main reservation. If you're having too much fun to make your rez, it's gonna cost you $10. And yes, I'm very much in favor of that.

The other situation is about staffing. When they staff a restaurant for only 50% of capacity, and then have 75% show up, that will mean longer waits and empty tables. And I'm not in favor of that. They should just staff for a full restaurant, and then if they have a slow day, live with it, just like any other restaurant in the country.

Hockey89

The other situation is about staffing. When they staff a restaurant for only 50% of capacity, and then have 75% show up, that will mean longer waits and empty tables. And I'm not in favor of that. They should just staff for a full restaurant, and then if they have a slow day, live with it, just like any other restaurant in the country.
So true

Phonedave

The this is, this is not so hard to handle for Disney.

We are no longer in the world of a host or hostess with a reservation book who is taking reservations based on seating times or on experience and crossing them off as people show up

All Disney restaurants have a POS system that know when every table was seated, how many were at that table, and when they left. They know the time of day, the day of the week, and a whole bunch of other data. Disney also knows the number of ADRs made, the number that were canceled the last minute, the number who were no-shows, and likely the time people showed up for their ADR.

It is a relatively simple undertaking to implement a business intelligence system that can optimize the number of ADRs accordingly, so that people get seated quickly, tables stay full, and things run smoothly - not to mention forecasting of food requirements, staffing levels, and a host of other things.

Come on Disney, get on the process automation and business intelligence train (pay me enough and I will even help you implement it as a remote contractor in my spare time :) )

Chi84

Premium Member
No-show fees are pretty common for the most popular restaurants in my city, and I don't mind them if they give people incentive to either show up or cancel within a reasonable time. Even though the system won't allow multiple reservations, I'm certain people can find ways around that system. I don't think Disney should be expected to think of every possible way people can come up with to abuse the system and then try to keep up with ways to stop it. From what I've read, people with legitimate excuses have been able to get the charges refunded.

We visit every year (usually 14 to 21 days over 2 or 3 trips in May and October), and I have yet to see all these restaurants with empty tables. The only exception is Cali Grill at lunch (we're usually there near the end), and since reservations are scarce, I think that's because they try to keep the experience relatively calm and uncrowded. If the restaurant does not expect to be full, they aren't going to call in waitstaff to stand around on the off-chance that an unusually large number of people may show up - if that happens, the people who do show up will have to wait a bit. But the Disney restaurants we see, and we've been in just about all of them, are almost always full and keeping up fairly well with the reservation times. I have no doubt long waits can sometimes happen - we've experienced a few and they are frustrating - but overall our experiences have been good.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Even though the system won't allow multiple reservations, I'm certain people can find ways around that system.
Certainly. Forum posts discuss packing hours of a day with coveted ADR spots/time to choose, then once WDW gets around to finalizing park hours/EMHs they cancel extras. Guests can also hold ADRs under different names in their party. Too much stress for me but people wanting solid plans for a special trip may make the effort.

For Oga's, Droid and Lightsaber Build advance reservations, guests can overlap with FPs/ADRs. Many people don't know which day/time these reservations will work with the uncertainty of new operations, so probably significant excess reservations held here too.

The good news in both areas is guests can grab the piles of dropped reservations the week & day before. The bad news is for less experienced guests, they may give up after repeatedly seeing full bookings months out.

DisneyJoe

The this is, this is not so hard to handle for Disney.

We are no longer in the world of a host or hostess with a reservation book who is taking reservations based on seating times or on experience and crossing them off as people show up

All Disney restaurants have a POS system that know when every table was seated, how many were at that table, and when they left. They know the time of day, the day of the week, and a whole bunch of other data. Disney also knows the number of ADRs made, the number that were canceled the last minute, the number who were no-shows, and likely the time people showed up for their ADR.

It is a relatively simple undertaking to implement a business intelligence system that can optimize the number of ADRs accordingly, so that people get seated quickly, tables stay full, and things run smoothly - not to mention forecasting of food requirements, staffing levels, and a host of other things.

Come on Disney, get on the process automation and business intelligence train (pay me enough and I will even help you implement it as a remote contractor in my spare time :) )
You actually want Disney to have a consistently working computer system??? bwahahaha...

mariedarling

This happened to me at Citricos in May - they told us they got "off track" earlier in the evening right at check in and couldn't get back on track and they were operating about 40 mins behind. We had a 7:55PM ADR we got seated 55 min later .

Our party was 2 adults and a 9 month old - small party to boot. I was not pleased to be eating at 9:15/30 but my 9 month old was happy so it was OK. if she was not in a pleasant mood we would have had to leave.

I get it happens on busy nights but they should have at least given us some dessert on the house (jk jk) or a medal for my daughter for being so well behaved in the restaurant. 😆

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
This is another reason I always try to book early meals around 5pm. Hard to be behind at the start of the night, that and it allows me plenty of time to line up for the night show.

It's more of a function of how many others consider the time you are attempting to eat as a "normal" "acceptable" time. There are a limited number of seats at table service and you and your party are jockeying for position with them. Its interesting as well to see whom else dines at the same time as it tends to be self-sorting by regions as well as occupation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom