WTH is going on with ADR's??

Kkar

Original Poster
We're TIW members and enjoy the signature restaurants whenever we visit the world. This is the first time we've experienced serious issues with the ADR system.

Night one at Flying Fish. We had a cocktail at the Bellevue (our current favorite intimate lounge since they destroyed Mizners), then headed down at 7:40 for our 7:50 ADR. We were there right on time, and told it would be "just a few minutes". Then we waited...and waited...and waited. After 20 minutes, we started asking at the podium. Another 10 minutes. We (and our guests who were first-timers) began looking next door to see if they had immediate availability - they also said about 10 minutes. Finally, close to 40 minutes after our ADR, we were seated. We would have MUCH rather stayed for another round at Bellevue than standing around that tiny waiting area. To their credit, when we complained to the manager, he comped a round of drinks for us. That was very nice, but such a long wait really got the dinner off on a bad note.

Next night at STK - same thing. We showed up at 7:55 for our 8:00 ADR; told it would be "just a few minutes". I said "OK, we'll go wait on the rooftop bar" (it was a beautiful, although chilly, evening). No, they said, the rooftop bar would be closed at 8:00. Well, then we'll wait over at the main bar downstairs and have a pre-dinner cocktail. No, they said, that bar is already quite crowded. They suggested we wait in the lobby or outside on the patio. 10 minutes go by, then 15, then 20. All 6 of us were just standing there (they have no benches in the lobby). We finally started going up to the podium (again!) to find out how much longer the wait would be. They said there were several tables that had finished, but the patrons were just "hanging out and not leaving". Our guests (again) went across the way to Maria and Enzo's to see if they could seat us, but they had no availability. We finally did get seated at 8:45, a full 45 minutes after our ADR. STK also had several service missteps during our meal, but that's another story.

So, my questions are: If restaurants (especially the signatures/higher-end locations) are so backed up at later times, why do they not pad some additional times in between seatings? And if they are so crowded, why on earth would you shut down your lounge so early (on a holiday weekend no less!). Rather than enjoying cocktails (and giving them more revenue), why were we just left to stand around for 45 minutes. WTH is that about?!?

We've always enjoyed the signatures, and for us the TIW card works great. But after this weekend, I don't think we'll be renewing. For what they're charging (even with the TIW discounts), they need to do better. And if you're trying to promote your signatures as "fine dining", you don't leave guests milling around waiting for 45 minutes. Just unacceptable.

Perhaps if they added a feature to the TIW program that guarantees seating within 10 minutes of your scheduled ADR (kind of like a foodie Fast Pass), we would re-consider. But until they figure it out, I think we're done with Disney restaurants.

OneofThree

Night one at Flying Fish.

I can't speak to your other ADR's, but I can tell you that as one of our favorite restaurants over the past couple of years, we can consistently plan on waiting 20 to 30 minutes to get seated at Flying Fish.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
We're TIW members and enjoy the signature restaurants whenever we visit the world. This is the first time we've experienced serious issues with the ADR system.

Perhaps if they added a feature to the TIW program that guarantees seating within 10 minutes of your scheduled ADR (kind of like a foodie Fast Pass), we would re-consider. But until they figure it out, I think we're done with Disney restaurants.

There's not an issue with the advance dining reservation system. It's not like a traditional reservation where there's a dedicated table waiting for you to show up. When you check in they place you in line for the next table that will fit your party size. They do not have seating time slots, just a maximum current capacity. With six guests that's a larger sized party and fewer tables set for that in each location coupled with a holiday weekend there will be more people.

TiW is a discount program so its highly unlikely that they would offer a fastpass-like seating perk in conjunction with it.

DisneyJoe

They said there were several tables that had finished, but the patrons were just "hanging out and not leaving".
This.

Unless you want to be hurried thru your meal and rushed out in a set amount of time, this will happen from time to time.

HouCuseChickie

I know everyone always says that Disney ADRs aren't like reservations in the real world, but I've always felt this was a poor excuse for explaining away why people may wait past ADR time. I feel like they say that because they know they're incapable of coming close to seating all guests at or close to the time they booked...which feels like a cop out. Yes, you can say that's how it works, but with the price I'm paying for my vacation, I find it pathetic that Disney doesn't do more to ensure guests aren't wasting their time/$ waiting around for their restaurant staff's inability to function in a timely manner. We had a 7pm ADR at HBD last trip and we were seated around 8:15pm. You can repeat that my 7pm was no guarantee of time being seated, but that kind of delay just screams of gross incompetence.

Chi84

Premium Member
I know everyone always says that Disney ADRs aren't like reservations in the real world, but I've always felt this was a poor excuse for explaining away why people may wait past ADR time. I feel like they say that because they know they're incapable of coming close to seating all guests at or close to the time they booked...which feels like a cop out. Yes, you can say that's how it works, but with the price I'm paying for my vacation, I find it pathetic that Disney doesn't do more to ensure guests aren't wasting their time/$ waiting around for their restaurant staff's inability to function in a timely manner. We had a 7pm ADR at HBD last trip and we were seated around 8:15pm. You can repeat that my 7pm was no guarantee of time being seated, but that kind of delay just screams of gross incompetence.
Unless you are talking about very fine dining establishments, most restaurant reservation systems (at least the ones in busy restaurants) function like Disney's. Very few actually set aside a specific table for your party and then hold it vacant until you get there. I don't know why some people insist on pointing this out as though you are being unreasonable for thinking you have a reservation when you actually don't. It's really a distinction without a difference, in my opinion.

Regardless of what Disney calls its reservation system or how Disney operates it, when you use it, Disney is telling you that if you show up at the designated time, you will get seated somewhere in the vicinity of that time. I usually consider 30 minutes the outside limit of a reasonable wait time.

Normally, when you go out to eat in your own hometown, that's your primary destination. At Disney, people are trying to schedule dining around fireworks displays, fast passes, parades, etc. Many are first-time visitors who schedule reservations without any idea of how long it takes to get from one place to another. It's more of a challenge to predict how many people will show up late or linger past their reservation time. Still, the delays you mentioned are unreasonable - Disney should have a better handle on how many ADRs to make available for any given time and they shouldn't get a pass because these "aren't really reservations."

Disstevefan1

Night one at Flying Fish. We had a cocktail at the Bellevue (our current favorite intimate lounge since they destroyed Mizners), then headed down at 7:40 for our 7:50 ADR. We were there right on time, and told it would be "just a few minutes". Then we waited...and waited...and waited. After 20 minutes, we started asking at the podium. Another 10 minutes. We (and our guests who were first-timers) began looking next door to see if they had immediate availability - they also said about 10 minutes. Finally, close to 40 minutes after our ADR, we were seated. We would have MUCH rather stayed for another round at Bellevue than standing around that tiny waiting area. To their credit, when we complained to the manager, he comped a round of drinks for us. That was very nice, but such a long wait really got the dinner off on a bad note.

Next night at STK - same thing. We showed up at 7:55 for our 8:00 ADR; told it would be "just a few minutes". I said "OK, we'll go wait on the rooftop bar" (it was a beautiful, although chilly, evening). No, they said, the rooftop bar would be closed at 8:00. Well, then we'll wait over at the main bar downstairs and have a pre-dinner cocktail. No, they said, that bar is already quite crowded. They suggested we wait in the lobby or outside on the patio. 10 minutes go by, then 15, then 20. All 6 of us were just standing there (they have no benches in the lobby). We finally started going up to the podium (again!) to find out how much longer the wait would be. They said there were several tables that had finished, but the patrons were just "hanging out and not leaving". Our guests (again) went across the way to Maria and Enzo's to see if they could seat us, but they had no availability. We finally did get seated at 8:45, a full 45 minutes after our ADR. STK also had several service missteps during our meal, but that's another story.

So, my questions are: If restaurants (especially the signatures/higher-end locations) are so backed up at later times, why do they not pad some additional times in between seatings? And if they are so crowded, why on earth would you shut down your lounge so early (on a holiday weekend no less!). Rather than enjoying cocktails (and giving them more revenue), why were we just left to stand around for 45 minutes. WTH is that about?!?

We've always enjoyed the signatures, and for us the TIW card works great. But after this weekend, I don't think we'll be renewing. For what they're charging (even with the TIW discounts), they need to do better. And if you're trying to promote your signatures as "fine dining", you don't leave guests milling around waiting for 45 minutes. Just unacceptable.

I share your frustration. Going back to the 90s, more often than not we waited after checking in for an ADRs, but 45 minutes is ridiculous, and its worse when you have guests.

I also hate the double standard; you cant be late to check in for an ADR that you WILL wait 45 minutes to be seated.

HouCuseChickie

Unless you are talking about very fine dining establishments, most restaurant reservation systems (at least the ones in busy restaurants) function like Disney's. Very few actually set aside a specific table for your party and then hold it vacant until you get there. I don't know why some people insist on pointing this out as though you are being unreasonable for thinking you have a reservation when you actually don't. It's really a distinction without a difference, in my opinion.

Regardless of what Disney calls its reservation system or how Disney operates it, when you use it, Disney is telling you that if you show up at the designated time, you will get seated somewhere in the vicinity of that time. I usually consider 30 minutes the outside limit of a reasonable wait time.

Normally, when you go out to eat in your own hometown, that's your primary destination. At Disney, people are trying to schedule dining around fireworks displays, fast passes, parades, etc. Many are first-time visitors who schedule reservations without any idea of how long it takes to get from one place to another. It's more of a challenge to predict how many people will show up late or linger past their reservation time. Still, the delays you mentioned are unreasonable - Disney should have a better handle on how many ADRs to make available for any given time and they shouldn't get a pass because these "aren't really reservations."
The thing is, there are scores of restaurants that accept reservations that don’t classify as fine dining that are capable of taking a reservation and seating their patrons on time. Whether it’s what you consider to be an actual reservation isn’t really relevant, unless you want to talk about how most places are capable of seating guests at that “reservation” time, while Disney is notoriously inconsistent to bad.

As I noted before, I’m well aware of how Disney’s system supposedly works, but the point is that guests deserve better. Telling me that’s just how it works is akin to being willing to accept mediocre to subpar treatment. Having worked in a restaurant as a hostess, the average patron would be livid over a 30 minute wait with a reservation and most managers would be on thin ice if they were that far behind with turning tables. It speaks volumes about inefficiency in their whole process. 15 minutes past reservation time seemed to be the max guests found to be semi-acceptable before addressing matters with management.

So, you can be good with it and that’s fine for you, but I still believe Disney guests deserve better and Disney is getting by on poor practices.

Chi84

Premium Member
The thing is, there are scores of restaurants that accept reservations that don’t classify as fine dining that are capable of taking a reservation and seating their patrons on time. Whether it’s what you consider to be an actual reservation isn’t really relevant, unless you want to talk about how most places are capable of seating guests at that “reservation” time, while Disney is notoriously inconsistent to bad.

As I noted before, I’m well aware of how Disney’s system supposedly works, but the point is that guests deserve better. Telling me that’s just how it works is akin to being willing to accept mediocre to subpar treatment. Having worked in a restaurant as a hostess, the average patron would be livid over a 30 minute wait with a reservation and most managers would be on thin ice if they were that far behind with turning tables. It speaks volumes about inefficiency in their whole process. 15 minutes past reservation time seemed to be the max guests found to be semi-acceptable before addressing matters with management.

So, you can be good with it and that’s fine for you, but I still believe Disney guests deserve better and Disney is getting by on poor practices.
My post agreed with you on all of these points - except I did say I was willing to wait 30 minutes because of the special challenges Disney faces. Other than that, I said that what you call the reservation isn't relevant and that Disney should be able to do a better job seating patrons near their reservation time. 🤔 Must have been something in the way I said it, but I agree 100% that Disney patrons deserve to be treated better with regard to restaurant reservations and that Disney should not be given a pass on this. The rest of my post just explained why I think Disney sometimes gets more backed up than restaurants in other areas. Absolutely nothing in my post suggests that I'm "good with" waiting far past one's reservation time. Not sure what post you were reading.

Last edited:

Victor Kelly

They also may practice doing what the airlines do, over booking.

It was also a holiday weekend, as stated.

I agree that patience is needed, but 45 minutes past the ADR time is a bit rediculous and I have experienced this in the past

JIMINYCR

This is one of those frustrating "Why cant Disney get this fixed" issue. Yes, out of their control and what contributes to the problem is, the dining guests have finished their meals but are taking forever to finish their desserts, pay and leave. That ties up and backs up the following ADR tables. But timing on the part of the CM servers should also be better. They could be faster at getting the food ordered, getting the next course served, bring the checks out and MB's scanned, bring back change etc. ( Not knocking the CM's !!! Dont flame me please!!!) I know... I know... they are working under pressure and they do a heck of a job.... but weve had times where that inattention to us has delayed us greatly in leaving our table and certainly backed others up. Any ADR, even at the craziest of times over 45 minutes wait is unreasonable. Disney tracks everything else and they should/ could track an ADR that hasnt been seated in a reasonable amount of time and make it a priority to get you seated and served.

OneofThree

Any ADR, even at the craziest of times over 45 minutes wait is unreasonable.

Yeah, there's a balance to be had there. I have no problem waiting up to 20-25 minutes for a table -I get it. On the other hand, the World is far too expensive (along with some of the meals, for that matter) for 45 min or more of my trip to be occupied waiting. YMMV.

Kkar

Original Poster
Yeah, there's a balance to be had there. I have no problem waiting up to 20-25 minutes for a table -I get it. On the other hand, the World is far too expensive (along with some of the meals, for that matter) for 45 min or more of my trip to be occupied waiting. YMMV.
To me, 15 - 20 minutes might be acceptable; anything over that is not. What probably annoyed us most at STK was the fact that they shut down the rooftop bar at 8:00. We would have felt far less irritated if we at least had a place to sit and have another cocktail or two while we waited. Instead, we all just had to stand in the lobby. We've certainly had to wait for a table before, but the wait times seem to be trending longer and more frequent.

jaklgreen

They could take less ADR reservations and more people will complain. They can bring your food out faster, then people will complain. They can tell you that you only have an hour to eat your meal then you have to get out, then people will complain. They can "leave your table open" until you get there, then the servers will be standing around and complain that they are not getting enough tips. For the most part, we have not waited that long for our table. But we tend to eat as early as possible. There are the exceptions where things happen, like people linger. I don't blame the restaurant for that since it's not like they can go kick the people out. And those who do linger are usually the people that don't care if someone is waiting for the table because they do exactly what they want to do no matter how it affects others. You having TIW card, I imagine that you eat at WDW enough to know that sometimes these things happen. Twice in how many visits? It does not seem that bad.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
We've had the 45+ minute wait many a time.

A 45-50 minute wait at Sci-Fi had me confused because during the hour we ate, I watched as 30% of the tables sat cleaned and ready to go for 30 minutes before being re-sat. I managed a very busy restaurant in NJ and can't imagine why they don't/can't turn it sooner with a line out the door. Huge waste of capacity.

WDW tells us to allow 1.5 hours to take their transportation to ADRs. They also warn they can revoke my reservation and charge $10 per head when i'm late, but they can be late all they want. Different standards for themselves vs guests?

danyoung56

It also irks me that they will charge you $10/person if you don't show, yet they can make you wait well over a reasonable amount of time if you show up on time.

I'm actually very much in favor of this relatively new policy. Before it was enacted, people would make 3 or 4 (or more!) ADRs for the same meal and then just take the one they decide on when meal time rolls around. This would mean that the restaurants weren't full, yet there were no ADRs available. With the policy in place people have to be responsible for their booking choices, which works out well for everyone.

As to the delays, though, I do wish Disney could do something to make this go away. Whenever I eat at the Coral Reef, I check in and then go back outside, sit on the rock wall by the entrance, and read a Kindle book for 20 to 30 minutes. Course, I always ask for a window seat and am willing to wait for it, so part of that is my own fault. Still, I include this delay into my plans, and am not thrown when the wait is a bit longer than I'd usually like.

DisneyNorthFan

Having to wait beyond a certain amount of time for ADRs is frustrating, and at some point it crosses beyond just being frustrating. 15 minutes seems irritating, beyond 30 minutes is a major problem, IMO. That said, if I have 7 ADRs and this happens only once over a week-long vacation, is it really a problem in need of a solution? I can say personally that over 3 years of consecutive trips during October free dining, we've had 20+ ADRs at a mix of buffet, standard, and deluxe dining locations. We had once instance that was a debacle (45+ minute beyond ADR at Brown Derby) and the rest were all seated within 15 minutes or less of our reservation time (generally 5 minutes or less). I was still no less upset with my experience at Brown Derby because of the other good results, but it does make me question whether it's realistic to expect them to overhaul the system as a result. Perhaps I've just been lucky and perhaps others have just been unlucky. What I think should be expected from the restaurant is them doing something special for tables where this problem arises - and the guest shouldn't have to complain to make that happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom