WSJ: Disney Downtime increases as cost of visiting goes up

CAV

Playing devils advocate, and you know I’m in no way defending current management, but we need to remember the differences of downtime between something actually broke / failed / contributed to a ride stop and a ride intrusion / guest causing a cascade / sensor trip / e stop.
Yes. And we need to remember the difference between nighttime and a total eclipse of the sun.

drizgirl

WDW is practicing "run to failure" maintenance instead of preventative or predictive maintenance.

Downtime at a theme park does not cost WDW money as they have your money at the gate.

Downtime also gives you more exposure to food and merch (a benefit for WDW)

"Run to Failure" only costs money as things break rather than preventative where WDW would be spending money fixing things that might break.

Since WDW is not interested in world class uptime, predictive maintenance is not even a consideration.

Downtime is a profit center at WDW.
It might also encourage more Genie+ sales.

drizgirl

I’m sure Chapek uses the family from Seattle or Denver (that only visit once) as justification not to do maintenance also, he can’t put a ride down for refurb or they may miss it entirely, it’s better to give them a ride that kind of works, sometimes, rather than close it to fix it.

He’s such an altruistic CEO everything he does is for the benefit of the guests (in his own mind).
Not an excuse at DLR at all since that visitor has a high likelihood of being back next week.

John park hopper

Bob will retire in a few years and he is out to make the most money for the stockholders and as long as attendance remains high despite price increase, lack of staff, lack of maintenance what does he care. Bob will walk away with millions as long as he keeps the board of directors happy and the stockholders happy. The next CEO will do the same thing until people stop going.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bob Iger and now Bob Chapek regularly earned/earn over $30M in annual compensation and routinely had/have their contracts extended time and again.

The parks are packed and nothing, not price increases, not attraction downtime, not anything seems to be affecting attendance. For every "me" that stops going, two other new customers show up to take my place.

So the question is, did Bob Iger and does Bob Chapek have any reason to do anything any differently? New (expensive) attractions? Better (costly) maintenance? More family-friendly (less profitable) pricing? Of course not. They have one primary concern.....their compensation. And since that is pretty good and shows no signs of stopping.....they'll continue the course.

It's really easy.
There is a global recession unfolding…it’s been 2 years in Asia and 6 months in Europe already…
Crypto isn’t gonna save us.

We’ll see. To every greed, there is a season.

Disneys product isn’t so spectacular to overcome forces of nature.

Apparently people have no memories about this? Travel gets slashed first.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
From example on Friday, right at opening I had issues with Remy not opening at open, saw Frozen was down, the Land wasn’t open at opening, Slinky was down, something was up at Pirates, 7-dwarves didn’t open at rope drop on Tuesday….etc.
Not getting the rides open at open is a wth moment.
They’d just blame staffing and/or Covid. They’re still doing that way after others have stopped.
But they have a history of calling things “new” that are 5 years old, also…to be fair

ohioguy

There's pressure on publicly-trade companies to please their real customers: stockholders. Stockholders are increasingly demanding more and more returns. In the past, a modest profit was considered a good thing; now investors want 100% year-over-year, product and service be damned. It's unsustainable, and ultimately impacts the level of investment in the business (i.e. innovations, maintenance), as more and more funding goes to dividends and buybacks. It's a vicious circle.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There's pressure on publicly-trade companies to please their real customers: stockholders. Stockholders are increrasingly demanding more and more returns. In the past, a modest profit was considered a good thing; now investors want 100% year-over-year, product and service be damned. It's unsustainable, and ultimately impacts the level of investment in the business (i.e. innovations, maintenance), as more and more funding goes to dividends and buybacks. It's a vicious circle.
Correct

But that system is also unsustainable.

You can only lie about what things are “worth” with no real money behind it for so long…as has become brutally evident in recents weeks.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom