Wrongful Death Lawsuit and Disney's Scary Attempt

Disstevefan1

Overlordkitty

If the mall lists the restaurant’s menu on it’s website, and has a special section on allergens, allergy friendly menus, etc, and then someone detrimentally relies on that and eats at that restaurant using that allergy-friendly information, and then dies? Sure, there could absolutely be some liability there. However, no mall has that kind of relationship with its tenants. The analogies here are not good, Disney has a unique relationship with the restaurants that are on-property at Disney Springs.
I agree that Disney has a special, unique relationship beyond just landlord-tenant, and I think Disney could potentially be included in liability.

Most of us here on the forums know all the different levels of what is Disney, what is third party, etc., but would the common, reasonable person understand that a company that advertises about their allergen awareness, and advertises restaurants on the same website actually know that they're different companies?

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Two wrongs don’t make a right, the widower suing Disney (because they are the landlord) was ridiculous, Disney claiming arbitration rights because of a D+ subscription is equally ridiculous.

It’s a bad look and makes me question how protected I am at the park since I’m also a D+ subscriber. If a lamppost falls (as has happened recently) and breaks my back is Disneys liability limited because I’m a D+ subscriber? Horrible look.

I find it scary that Disney is basically telling anyone who bought their tickets through their site or ever had a Disney+ account that you can't sue them and would have to go to arbitration, even if you died at their parks...
Hell this is only over a widower seeking 50k. It's a gross look for Disney, IMO.
Bob Iger could take a week off and the money saved could cover all settlements of this type

Section106

They ordered Scallops, a Vegan Fritter, and Vegan Sheperds Pie according to the article. Looking at the Raglan Road dinner menu it lists butter sauce on the Scallops Gnocchi, and I can't imagine that nuts are used in the fritter or the shepherds pie and no dairy if it is vegan. Gnocchi is flour, potato and eggs. If she ordered or ate scallops in a butter sauce that was plainly listen on the menu then I can't see how it is Disney's fault.

Overlordkitty

Disney legal team - CYA
Oh I absolutely get that, but American Airlines just tried a bad PR move in a legal briefing to try to CYA, and now AA has gotten rid of a legal team.

Someone else here used the term 'novel' and I agree this could be novel in how arbitration is handled for these large conglomerates. If this doesn't go Disney's way, this would create case law that large corporations would not like.

Lilofan

Oh I absolutely get that, but American Airlines just tried a bad PR move in a legal briefing to try to CYA, and now AA has gotten rid of a legal team.

Someone else here used the term 'novel' and I agree this could be novel in how arbitration is handled for these large conglomerates. If this doesn't go Disney's way, this would create case law that large corporations would not like.
Average attention span of humans is 8 seconds. Goldfish fare better. This will be ancient history moving forward.

Overlordkitty

They ordered Scallops, a Vegan Fritter, and Vegan Sheperds Pie according to the article. Looking at the Raglan Road dinner menu it lists butter sauce on the Scallops Gnocchi, and I can't imagine that nuts are used in the fritter or the shepherds pie and no dairy if it is vegan. Gnocchi is flour, potato and eggs. If she ordered or ate scallops in a butter sauce that was plainly listen on the menu then I can't see how it is Disney's fault.
The fritter, I think the scallops, and another article said onion rings were eaten as well are all fryer foods. The fryer is often forgotten as a point of cross contamination.

From the widowers statement, they had conferred several times with the waiter that the food could be made to accommodate her allergies. If she had ordered straight from the menu and never told anyone, then there probably wouldn't be a case. But it sounds like she did everything she could to verify.

Whether Disney stays on the lawsuit is what Disney was arguing in their brief.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
You can cook scallops without butter. Preparing them for someone with a dairy allergy would be a piece of cake. A gluten-free, non-dairy, no-nuts cake, of course...

Epcot82Guy

To be fair, Disney's legal team has had this reputation for longer than Iger's tenure. It's grown since then. But, a company of this size and exposure to the public often has an aggressive legal team. Disney is known in the industry (i.e. in house legal teams) as being particularly so. I can speak from experience... if you enjoy the Disney magic, it is often made quite clear Disney Legal is not where you really want to be.

Overlordkitty

To be fair, Disney's legal team has had this reputation for longer than Iger's tenure. It's grown since then. But, a company of this size and exposure to the public often has an aggressive legal team. Disney is known in the industry (i.e. in house legal teams) as being particularly so. I can speak from experience... if you enjoy the Disney magic, it is often made quite clear Disney Legal is not where you really want to be.
I had thought I wanted to be a lawyer, and went to law school for a year. Realized I didn't have the stomach for these kind of legal arguments.

ToTBellHop

Given that this could end up with a settlement in the millions and given how broad their ticket contract is, I don’t blame them. They added all of these binding arbitration clauses during the pandemic and I guess they’ve kept them…

This feels cold to us but law is pretty cold.

Lilofan

You think Disney is going to drain the oil in their fryers in the kitchens to refill with new oil during a hectic night of cooking the orders of all diners so to cook the guest vegan fritter with allergies ? Not happening and that's what happened. The guest had allergies that could kill her. I would not be going dining in that case. The guest who died carried her Epi-Pen in case she had an allergic reaction. She used it after eating but she still passed.

lazyboy97o

If the mall lists the restaurant’s menu on it’s website, and has a special section on allergens, allergy friendly menus, etc, and then someone detrimentally relies on that and eats at that restaurant using that allergy-friendly information, and then dies? Sure, there could absolutely be some liability there. However, no mall has that kind of relationship with its tenants. The analogies here are not good, Disney has a unique relationship with the restaurants that are on-property at Disney Springs.
They didn’t just rely on information provided by Disney. They relied on information provided directly by the restaurant and its staff.

I agree that Disney has a special, unique relationship beyond just landlord-tenant, and I think Disney could potentially be included in liability.

Most of us here on the forums know all the different levels of what is Disney, what is third party, etc., but would the common, reasonable person understand that a company that advertises about their allergen awareness, and advertises restaurants on the same website actually know that they're different companies?
They knew enough to also sue them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom