Wrongful Death Lawsuit and Disney's Scary Attempt

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
People do - by saying so they aren’t minimizing disney’s intent. But they are speaking with facts instead of hyperbole and emotional pleas.
It's not an emotional plea. So you understand how law works? It's all about what kind of president they can establish. Serious, question that maybe you can try to respond with without an insult. Do you really think arbitration is good for the plaintiffs in most cases?

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
I don’t think you’ll find anyone here saying Disney is in the right. If you read the posts, they’re just explaining Disney’s position to people confused by erroneous news headlines.
What was the erroneous headline? I believe the article's main point is that Disney has tried to force a legal case to arbitration by citing a streaming service agreement. If I am wrong, I apologize.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's not an emotional plea. So you understand how law works? It's all about what kind of president they can establish. Serious, question that maybe you can try to respond with without an insult. Do you really think arbitration is good for the plaintiffs in most cases?

What is the point of over generalizations that aren’t tied to any specifics? That’s just more attempts at hyperbole and over simplications to push some broad stroke non sense.

That’s not a serious question at all

Chi84

Premium Member
What was the erroneous headline? I believe the article's main point is that Disney has tried to force a legal case to arbitration by citing a streaming service agreement. If I am wrong, I apologize.
There are quite a few, starting with the one cited in your OP. The articles themselves had varying degrees of accuracy, but I read numerous misleading headlines yesterday.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
What is the point of over generalizations that aren’t tied to any specifics? That’s just more attempts at hyperbole and over simplications to push some broad stroke non sense.

That’s not a serious question at all
Oh, I thought it was a question that was pretty basic without any hyperbole but apparently wasn't simple enough. BTW the cliff's notes answer is you don't want arbitration if you are the plaintiff, in this case and pretty much the majority of suits.

JoeCamel

Replace "tried to force" with " asked the court to consider" and you will have it.
It is up to the parties to raise the issues and up to the court to rule on their validity. It's how the system works

DisneyCane

I'm a lawyer and I view both of those arguments as unconscionable. Had she been killed somehow by Disney+ (maybe an epileptic seizure while watching or something) or while dining at Epcot (or pursuant to a dining package purchased on the website), these arguments would at least have some merit. This lady's meal at Raglan Rd was not part of the bargained for exchange with signing up for Disney+ or even from purchasing an Epcot ticket. Frankly, the lawyer who put forward these arguments should at least face some consideration for sanctions.
It's also preposterous that Disney is named in the suit to start with. The Plaintiff is claiming that Disney is liable due to the representations made on their website. I posted the allergy statement from the website earlier. I'll post it again:
About our allergy-friendly menu items: Guests may consult with a chef or special diets trained Cast Member before placing an order. We use reasonable efforts in our sourcing, preparation and handling procedures to avoid the introduction of the named allergens into allergy-friendly menu choices. While we take steps to prevent cross-contact, we do not have separate allergy-friendly kitchens and are unable to guarantee that a menu item is completely free of allergens. Allergy-friendly offerings are reliant on supplier ingredient labels. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the contents of each food item. Allergen advisory statements (e.g., "may contain") are not regulated and therefore not taken into consideration when developing allergy-friendly meals. It is ultimately our Guests' discretion to make an informed choice based upon their individual dietary needs.
It is explicitly stated that they don't guarantee anything is allergen free. To me it is ridiculous to claim that the website was relied upon to make the decision to ultimately consume the food containing allergens when the website explicitly states there is no guarantee.

I also disagree with you about the argument Disney is making. They are arguing that the terms and conditions which were agreed to apply to their website with respect to dispute resolution being handled via mediation.

The fact that Disney can't quickly and easily have the suit, with respect to Disney, dismissed with prejudice is exactly what is wrong with the tort system in our country. If a crack formed in the floor and somebody tripped and was injured it would be legitimate to include the landlord in the suit. If the woman was guaranteed no allergens by Raglan Road the liability lies with the owners and operators of Raglan Road.

In reality, all restaurants should protect themselves by having some kind of written document that is signed by the patron and chef if food is supposed to be free of allergens. The chances of the waiter being able to remember all of the details of the conversation after several months is very low. Had she gone into shock in the restaurant it would have created a memorable moment but not the way it happened. Nobody can ever really know for sure what guarantees were or weren't made.

Tha Realest

It's also preposterous that Disney is named in the suit to start with.

It’s really not.

Landlords and companies that have the relationship like Disney does with those who sublease from them are sued all the time when there are accidents or injuries in their properties. It’s far more common than expanding out a very attenuated TOU provision to force any and all disputes to arbitration.
The Plaintiff is claiming that Disney is liable due to the representations made on their website.

That’s one theory of liability. Count III has nothing to do with the website; it doesn’t factor in any way to how Disney is liable there.

DisneyCane

It’s really not.

Landlords and companies that have the relationship like Disney does with those who sublease from them are sued all the time when there are accidents or injuries in their properties. It’s far more common than expanding out a very attenuated TOU provision to force any and all disputes to arbitration.
Landlords or companies with similar relationships are made in suits that have some at least thin thread that ties them to the liability. In this case, if there was negligence that caused the death of the woman, it had nothing to do with anything but the owner and operator of the restaurant. Disney has nothing to do with food handling or preparation in the location.

It would be like the landlord of an office building being named in a sexual harassment suit because the alleged harassment occurred in the building.

Disney is trying to use the provision because they know that if it goes to a jury trial, the Plaintiff's attorney will be able to "sell" the jury on a big, evil corporation needing to "PAY." The threat of this gives the Plaintiff leverage in settlement negotiations. If the worst case for Disney is arbitration then the leverage moves to Disney. I'm sure Disney's ultimate goal is to have the case dismissed with respect to them. They didn't use the TOS argument on a motion to dismiss.

Tha Realest

Landlords or companies with similar relationships are made in suits that have some at least thin thread that ties them to the liability. In this case, if there was negligence that caused the death of the woman, it had nothing to do with anything but the owner and operator of the restaurant. Disney has nothing to do with food handling or preparation in the location.
You would contribute more to this conversation if you familiarized yourself with the allegations in the complaint.

Fido Chuckwagon

They ordered Scallops, a Vegan Fritter, and Vegan Sheperds Pie according to the article. Looking at the Raglan Road dinner menu it lists butter sauce on the Scallops Gnocchi, and I can't imagine that nuts are used in the fritter or the shepherds pie and no dairy if it is vegan. Gnocchi is flour, potato and eggs. If she ordered or ate scallops in a butter sauce that was plainly listen on the menu then I can't see how it is Disney's fault.
Good thing we have a thing called a “trial” where these sorts of factual issues can be sorted out. Disney’s attempt to get this moved to arb based on the D+ subscription is ludicrous.

DisneyCane

You would contribute more to this conversation if you familiarized yourself with the allegations in the complaint.
The allegation is that Disney made representations that caused the deceased to believe it would be safe to eat at Raglan Road and therefore Disney is liable for Raglan Road.
They’re not just the “landlord.” The relationship is unique and the allergy menu was on Disney’s website, and made reference to speaking with Disney Cast members.
The relationship isn't all that unique. I can go to the website of every Las Vegas resort and view the menus of tenant operated dining establishments presented in a way that they look like they are part of the resort operation. You can room charge and use resort dining credits just the same as resort owned restaurants.

The allergy statement that I posted above explicitly states that they don't guarantee that anything will be completely free of allergens no matter who you speak to.

DisneyCane

This was revised after the guest death.
Are there screenshots of the version that existed at the time? The wayback machine on archive.org shows the same thing in September 2023 as is on the website today. I don't have time to really dig into the code but it's possible that the wayback machine is pulling a live version of dynamic content.

Tha Realest

The allegation is that Disney made representations that caused the deceased to believe it would be safe to eat at Raglan Road and therefore Disney is liable for Raglan Road.
Please go read the complaint. Just limit it to Count III.
Paragraph 11 supports Count III against Disney. It doesn’t have to “negate” anything. Paragraph 63 is in support of a different liability theory.

Take a look at Paragraphe 53-56. Website is not referenced or alleged in count III. They have a legal theory of liability that doesn’t rest on the website.

View attachment 809560
View attachment 809561

DisneyCane

Please go read the complaint. Just limit it to Count III.
To say that Count III is a bit of a stretch is an understatement. It is making allegations of facts that the Plaintiff can not yet have knowledge of. They will need to see the agreements between Disney and Raglan Rd. in order to determine if their allegations have any merit at all. Likely they are going to find things like Raglan Rd. only being allowed to serve Coke products or certain menu items that are exclusive to particular tenants (as is done in leases all the time to prevent competitors in the same shopping center, for example) and then they will try to use those "controls" to argue that Disney had control over the menu and operations of the restaurant.

The allegations about Disney making representations via the website are far more sound than Count III. Using the TOS argument, Disney will likely not be able to force Count III into arbitration because Count III is not related to the website or app. They will likely move for dismissal of Count III based on not having control over the menu or operation of Raglan Rd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom