would you

firedog31

Original Poster
Ok I was eating at my neighbors house last night and afterwards we were just sitting around talking. He asked me if I could know when I was gonna die would I want to know. I know its is a sick question but it got me thinkin and I said yes. So just out of couriosity if you could know the date in which you pass away would you want to know? Sorry about the downer question but just courious what most people think. Take care!!:)

Cnrtygirl

Yes, I think I would like to know. Think of the things you would try knowing you would die anyway.
I am afraid of heights but I would love to rock dive in the Bahamas.

Number_6

Personally, I don't see any reason why I would want to know. I think it would be better not knowing it was coming, rather than possibly finding out it was going to just a couple of days or even a couple of hours away in some horrible accident. But, maybe that's just me.

k.hunter30

No way. I wouldn't want to know. There's a reason we don't know, and I wouldn't mess with that. I just try to tell myself to fully live each day I'm blessed with. Do nothing that I would regret later. Always tell people I love them. :)

songbird

You guys sound like you've never faced your own mortality in a real, substantive way.

Three years ago I was diagnosed with cancer. I had surgery, radiation and chemo.

the uncertainty of the outcome was worse than any of the medical treatments.

Every day, when I drove myself to the hospital for the radiation treatment, i'd listen to my radio. One of the most popular songs at the time was "Live Like You Were Dyring" by Tim McGraw.

Sound advice.

He said I was in my early forties
with a lot of life before me
when a moment came that stopped me on a dime
and I spent most of the next days
looking at the x-rays
Talking bout the options
and talking bout sweet time
I asked him when it sank in
that this might really be the real end
how�s it hit you when you get that kinda news
man what�d you do

and he said
I went sky diving
I went Rocky Mountain climbing
I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named fumanchu
and I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter
and I gave forgiveness I�d been denying
and he said someday I hope you get the chance
to live like you were dying.

He said I was finally the husband
that most the time I wasn�t
and I became a friend a friend would like to have
and all the sudden going fishin
wasn�t such an imposition
and I went three times that year I lost my dad
well I finally read the good book
and I took a good long hard look
at what I�d do if I could do it all again

and then
I went sky diving

Like tomorrow was a gift and you got eternity to think about
what�d you do with it what did you do with it
what did I do with it
what would I do with it?

Sky diving
and then I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter
and I watched an eagle as it was flying
To live like you were dying

maggiegrace1

You guys sound like you've never faced your own mortality in a real, substantive way.

Three years ago I was diagnosed with cancer. I had surgery, radiation and chemo.

the uncertainty of the outcome was worse than any of the medical treatments.

Every day, when I drove myself to the hospital for the radiation treatment, i'd listen to my radio. One of the most popular songs at the time was "Live Like You Were Dyring" by Tim McGraw.

Sound advice.

He said I was in my early forties
with a lot of life before me
when a moment came that stopped me on a dime
and I spent most of the next days
looking at the x-rays
Talking bout the options
and talking bout sweet time
I asked him when it sank in
that this might really be the real end
how�s it hit you when you get that kinda news
man what�d you do

and he said
I went sky diving

He said I was finally the husband
that most the time I wasn�t
and I became a friend a friend would like to have
and all the sudden going fishin
wasn�t such an imposition
and I went three times that year I lost my dad
well I finally read the good book
and I took a good long hard look
at what I�d do if I could do it all again

and then
I went sky diving

Like tomorrow was a gift and you got eternity to think about
what�d you do with it what did you do with it
what did I do with it
what would I do with it?

Sky diving
and then I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter
and I watched an eagle as it was flying
That song was popular when my father had quadruple bypass surgery and died while in surgery but they brought him back..

I would listen to it over and over again all the time and it really makes you appreciate all you have and to want to go out and be and do all you can ...but you can live that way without knowing that you only have so much time left..

I think you should live that way regardless...

I would not want to know exactly when..if I knew the exact date then that would be all I would think of...I have this many more days, hours, minutes, seconds....

It would make things so nervewracking and I would be so focused on the date that I would not be able to enjoy my life the way I wanted too..like I do now.

After what I went through with my Daddy and Maggie I cherish every single second I have..:D

k.hunter30

I would not want to know exactly when..if I knew the exact date then that would be all I would think of...I have this many more days, hours, minutes, seconds....

It would make things so nervewracking and I would be so focused on the date that I would not be able to enjoy my life the way I wanted too..like I do now.

After what I went through with my Daddy and Maggie I cherish every single second I have..:D
So beautifully put Dana... especially that last part. Though those tough times of loosing someone or almost loosing someone seems too much to bear at the moment, there are blessings that come out of it--like realizing how you want to live the rest of your life, and doing it in honor of them. :eek:

maggiegrace1

So beautifully put Dana... especially that last part. Though those tough times of loosing someone or almost loosing someone seems too much to bear at the moment, there are blessings that come out of it--like realizing how you want to live the rest of your life, and doing it in honor of them. :eek:
Thank you love..:)

He is soooo very proud of you..:kiss:

wdwmomof3

That is so true.

I wouldn't want to know either. I would be so focused on that day that I couldn't enjoy my life. I would feel like I am running out of time, and I hate to feel that way. I think Tim's song says it all. We should all live that way. Life is very delicate and everyday is a blessing. I have been truly blessed, all of us have been. :animwink:

wdwfan100

I think at first it would be a little liberating. As time ticked away though it would turn into a curse. I think in this case "ignorance is certainly bliss." You just need to adopt the philosophy that today is your last day, and live the best you can.

Disnut

I think at first it would be a little liberating. As time ticked away though it would turn into a curse. I think in this case "ignorance is certainly bliss." You just need to adopt the philosophy that today is your last day, and live the best you can.
Very well said.:sohappy:

songbird

That song was popular when my father had quadruple bypass surgery and died while in surgery but they brought him back..

I would listen to it over and over again all the time and it really makes you appreciate all you have and to want to go out and be and do all you can ...but you can live that way without knowing that you only have so much time left..

I agree, we should all live that way regardless..but most of us don't.

hcswingfield

I was told 19 years ago that I had two years to live. My reaction was to take it a day at a time, and to focus on the day I have, not what might be around the corner. I'm still here! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom