Would you visit Walt Disney World with these health-based operational restrictions in place?

Would you visit Walt Disney World with these health-based operational restrictions in place?

• Yes

Votes: 306 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 429 50.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 111 13.1%

• Total voters

Jimmy Thick

I see absolutely no joy in paying 5-10k for a vacation only to wear a mask in sweltering heat, limit my attractions, limit my dining, and even worse be in a situation where I could get a potentially fatal virus from people who wont adhere to social distancing guidelines because I don't see a way Disney will be able to enforce them.

I mean what if someone has a bathroom emergency and needs to get from point A to point B as fast as possible and that could mean invading an imaginary six foot barrier?

Can Disney put some sort of six foot laser circle on magic bands to make sure people are not getting to close? Ride queues should be easy to pull off but it's seriously going to make waits longer, you want to pay all that money only to do maybe 2 or 3 attractions a day?

Unless a treatment is found, I don't see Disney World being a viable vacation destination.

Giss Neric

Is there anywhere really that you guys would consider a viable vacation destination at this point? I would think Las Vegas but I trust Disney's security measures more than Vegas.

Other theme/amusement parks are most likely having the same safety protocols as Disney so vacationing at theme/amusement parks is no go.

Traveling abroad is not a viable option too since it's more risky than just staying put here.

I personally don't consider going to WDW a vacation since I'm an AP. I would try to AT LEAST go once during the first few weeks of reopening to check if it's not worth it or it's okay. Of note, attractions are not my main priority when I go. Just roam around, shop and eat.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Is there anywhere really that you guys would consider a viable vacation destination at this point?
If WDW is operating without restrictions then I’d consider it viable. The restrictions we are seeing in Shanghai make an already questionable value equation a complete non starter.

aliceismad

Is there anywhere really that you guys would consider a viable vacation destination at this point? I would think Las Vegas but I trust Disney's security measures more than Vegas.
Nope. No way I would go to Vegas anytime soon. Probably not much of a vacation anywhere anytime soon. I know people who are planning backpacking trips and whatnot, but that's not really for me. Also my DH dislikes camping.

HansGruber

TL;DR....Does social distancing/ advance reservations mean they are going to restrict admission numbers?

I'm curious to see how they handle locals with APs, vacationing members with APs and vacation members with regular park tickets.
Hard pill to swallow to ask non-AP vacationers to pay the normal full price while restricting their experience.

Giss Neric

If WDW is operating without restrictions then I’d consider it viable. The restrictions we are seeing in Shanghai make an already questionable value equation a complete non starter.
Well, it's Shanghai. Their one-day pass is way cheaper than what we charge here. If money is factor, which I'm sure it is, then I would say even with their restrictions it's still viable. If Tron and their Pirates or Soarin would be open then it's worth it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You are telling me that you are SERIOUS!!!??? You canceled a trip to WDW where there is no major death toll and replaced it with a trip to JERSEY where people are dying in huge numbers?

Yes...because people are not thinking past step 1...which is “would you go if it’s open?”

That’s a nonsense question...

Step 2 is “how much of a hassle will it be?”
And 3 is “how much of a cost is it gonna be for that hassle?”

2 and 3 are the whole discussion behind the scenes. Trust me - I know how Disney analyzes data. They are worried about how the hassle may inhibit travel and spending. That’s why they aren’t dying to get a park open.

Their big concerns are average length of stay and spending per guest per day. That’s how you calculate what kinda money you make in advance... that’s the game.

Dreaming of Disney World

Is there anywhere really that you guys would consider a viable vacation destination at this point?
We're sadly planning on replacing our Disney vacation by renting a house with a private beach on a lake in Northern Maine. We can drive there and interact with no one other than a rest stop and a grocery store stop. That feels a lot safer than Disney World. Normally I wouldn't consider this for a vacation, but it's better than doing nothing. At least we will get to go swimming all week. I wonder if other people will plan similar kinds of beach or camping trips that make social distancing easier and don't cost as much as other vacations.

Jimmy Thick

Whats going to happen when an outbreak happens even with their restrictions in place? I fearlessly predict the parks closing a week after reopening due to covid-19 running rampant.

Vacation is a luxury the world just does not need right now, people need to focus on taking care of each other.

GladToBeHear

Whats going to happen when an outbreak happens even with their restrictions in place? I fearlessly predict the parks closing a week after reopening due to covid-19 running rampant.

Vacation is a luxury the world just does not need right now, people need to focus on taking care of each other.

There's going to be a surge in new cases once things open back up. We've known this from the beginning. I'm hoping cooler heads prevail and we don't see another lockdown soon after.

Giss Neric

I can't blame those who complain cause it's been two months of lock down. I don't think there will be outbreaks if they will greatly limit the capacity as well as implement safety protocols. I am more worried an outbreak might happen more on public properties like beaches, parties or some sort of large gathering where people disobey social distancing.

Obobru

I completed a survey for Universal a couple of days ago which outlined a reopening date of the 1st July with some or all of the following.
Removing the x-ray checks
Going cashless
Going app only food ordering
Socially distanced lines
No lines all rides booked via app with return times
No parades or nightly show
Leaving an empty row between people during shows
Rides wiped down between guests
Leaving doors open to avoid touching
Removing self service food options
Moving store merch outside
Staff wearing gloves and masks
Removing turnstile barriers
Health questionnaires for staff and guests
Temp checks
Swabbing tests for staff and guests!
Tracker app

Might have been some more things they were asking about.

Also they offered up a scenario which was the park only open at 50% but double the price with a VIP type experience for that with backstage tours etc included.

VaderTron

That's a bit soon. Assuming it takes a week or more for a major "Typhoid Mary" infector to visit the park, rather than on day one, it can still take up to 14 days for symptoms to appear in those who it spread to. Some will have mild symptoms and others may have none. Those who do have a bad case have to seek testing/medical attention. Then the slow process of contact tracing (if even performed at first) will take a few more days. I think it will be several weeks before they will be able to "prove" where the outbreak originated. By then none of those people will be in the park anymore. The question will be, was it widespread enough and protection measures inadequate enough to allow for community spread between overlapping groups of guests to make WDW a hotspot.

Time will tell. But I still think closing within a week would be extremely unlikely. Too quick if you ask me.

Last edited:

VaderTron

I can't blame those who complain cause it's been two months of lock down. I don't think there will be outbreaks if they will greatly limit the capacity as well as implement safety protocols. I am more worried an outbreak might happen more on public properties like beaches, parties or some sort of large gathering where people disobey social distancing.

Why those outbreak locations are not as likely/not as important as the issues you will see if WDW mirrors Shanghai Disneyland's "protection" plan.

1) public properties like beaches

There is so much room on a beach. If people are closer to you than 6ft (closer than 15 feet!) that is ridiculous. You should really be more like 20 feet from the closest group. If you can't, go find a quiet beach. It may not be the local hot spot (no pun intended), but it's nicer than NO beach, or sitting right on top of someone else. Even before the coronavirus this was my philosophy.

Go swimming or boating in the ocean. While there isn't definitive studies yet regarding saltwater and this coronavirus, it is well known that saltwater is not a virus-friendly environment like freshwater. Again, you should be able to find plenty of space in the ocean to stay away from other people. This is exponentially safer than going to a theme park touching things thousands of others have touched. (If you want to argue that WDW is putting in protective measures please read my previous post on how inadequate their ideas are.)

2) parties or large gathering where people disobey social distancing

They get what they deserve. If someone made the choice to put themselves in a risky situation on purpose, that's on them. It will not be transmitted to those who are practicing proper social distancing, hand-washing, disinfecting surfaces, etc, even if they are in the same community.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom