Would You Sacrifice Splash Mountain and Critter Country For Western River Expedition?

Would You Sacrifice Splash Mountain and Critter Country For Western River Expedition?

• Total voters

VJ

What does this even mean?
honestly, i thought i had a point but the more i think about it the more it falls apart

i guess i'm trying to say that galaxy's edge, pixar pier, mission breakout etc are original concepts in that it's not just a book report "ride the movie" type situation, it's an original scenario that, when you visit, you're experiencing for the first time; that's what i mean by original concept i guess is my point

D.Silentu

I voted 'Maybe.' Western River is up there in that Valhalla of unbuilt rides along with "Dragon's Tower" and anything from Discovery Bay. I keep that in mind because those rides carry a wistful quality as the ones that got away, which might circumvent objective scrutiny. I didn't think that a Pirates style boat ride would thrive amongst today's audiences, until Shanghai's version opened to high praise. So, perhaps there would be room for a western version of that ride. I can easily imagine the wide projection screens depicting a romantic sunset overlooking a windswept desert that stretches as far as the eye can see.

The idea appeals to me as I've always been a fan of the West, arguably the most American thing there is with all it's favors and faults. Currently society seems to be more preoccupied with the latter of those two. That would present some challenges; any depictions of Native Americans for instance, must be conducted with respect. However, that isn't to say that a romanticized vision shouldn't be used in other places. Most of us have been craving such fantasy, as exemplified by the fervor surrounding Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast attraction. Presenting our world with a dose of fantasy is what Disneyland used to do best. Western River might offer an opportunity to return to those roots and, to borrow the phrase, give us the West as it never was and always will be.

Finally, a word about Splash Mountain. I love the ride and really have no desire to see it go away. My vote holds on the fact that if something as ambitious as Western River were proposed I could see it as an even trade. I feel it's also worth reminding those who would be concerned about sensitivity issues in a western ride, how precariously close Splash Mountain is to such topics. At one point I suspected that in the internet age where trivia has turned to general knowledge, the source material for Splash would create controversy. Thankfully they remain separate and I imagine a thoughtful western ride could do likewise. There isn't much Frontierland left, especially now, and while that seems poetic there is a part of me that doesn't want to see the sunset just yet.

Last edited:

Old Mouseketeer

Heck, yeah! On a few conditions:
  1. The ride designers replace the rain dance and the ha-ha-everybody’s-drunk scenes with something else.
  2. The ride is not narrated by an animal.
  3. Big Jurassic Park size drop at the end.
  4. Sam Elliott voices a major AA

I'll see your Sam Elliott, raise you Jeff Bridges, and call with a soundtrack produced by T-Bone Burnett!

Oh yeah, and throw in Ali Stroker from the current Broadway revival of Oklahoma! Yee-haw!!!

Phroobar

I don't see why Splash Mountain couldn't be integrated into WRE. Just take out the cartoon animals and replace with cowboys and it's the same ride. Build stuff on top of it and around it for other rides that are part of WRE.

Rich T

I don't see why Splash Mountain couldn't be integrated into WRE. Just take out the cartoon animals and replace with cowboys and it's the same ride. Build stuff on top of it and around it for other rides that are part of WRE.
But that's nearly what Knott's Timber Mountain Log Ride is.

Last edited:

Rich T

I voted 'Maybe.' Western River is up there in that Valhalla of unbuilt rides along with "Dragon's Tower" and anything from Discovery Bay. I keep that in mind because those rides carry a wistful quality as the ones that got away, which might circumvent objective scrutiny. I didn't think that a Pirates style boat ride would thrive amongst today's audiences, until Shanghai's version opened to high praise. So, perhaps there would be room for a western version of that ride. I can easily imagine the wide projection screens depicting a romantic sunset overlooking a windswept desert that stretches as far as the eye can see.

The idea appeals to me as I've always been a fan of the West, arguably the most American thing there is with all it's favors and faults. Currently society seems to be more preoccupied with the latter of those two. That would present some challenges; any depictions of Native Americans for instance, must be conducted with respect. However, that isn't to say that a romanticized vision shouldn't be used in other places. Most of us have been craving such fantasy, as exemplified by the fervor surrounding Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast attraction. Presenting our world with a dose of fantasy is what Disneyland used to do best. Western River might offer an opportunity to return to those roots and, to borrow the phrase, give us the West as it never was and always will be.

Finally, a word about Splash Mountain. I love the ride and really have no desire to see it go away. My vote holds on the fact that if something as ambitious as Western River were proposed I could see it as an even trade. I feel it's also worth reminding those who would be concerned about sensitivity issues in a western ride, how precariously close Splash Mountain is to such topics. At one point I suspected that in the internet age where trivia has turned to general knowledge, the source material for Splash would create controversy. Thankfully they remain separate and I imagine a thoughtful western ride could do likewise. There isn't much Frontierland left, especially now, and while that seems poetic there is a part of me that doesn't want to see the sunset just yet.
There doesn't even have to be much concern about sensitivity; just focus entirely on cowboys, stagecoaches, gold mines, railroads, nature, sheriffs vs. bandits and western towns if we're sticking with Marc Davis's musical-comedy approach. Certainly do not include a rain dance scene, as cool as that was for a water-related segue. The Rivers of America pays homage to Native Americans respectfully and in a way that fits the Riverboat ride. A Western River expedition dark ride should just be about the fun and adventure of the classic Western without touching anything controversial.

Rich T

One more thing: The ride should have a recreation of the America Sings "Home on the Range" campfire scene, but with cowboys instead of animals (but keep the rattlesnake raising its head to listen). This would be a quiet, beautiful, sunset-lit moment just before the ride gets crazy and raucous for the you're-all-in-danger-get-outta-here grand finale leading to the big drop.

Last edited:

Rich T

Fighting Injuns is part of the American frontier dream.
The best western writers, painters and film makers respected and admired the cultures and art of the many tribes. Even Walt Disney's Davey Crockett ended up fighting in Congress for the U.S. to uphold their treaty agreements.

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
Critter Country was built on an ancient 1950's Indian bathrooms/burial grounds. The land is obviously cursed.

TROR

The best western writers, painters and film makers respected and admired the cultures and art of the many tribes. Even Walt Disney's Davey Crockett ended up fighting in Congress for the U.S. to uphold their treaty agreements.
You're not wrong. That doesn't mean there weren't savage war parties.

Rich T

You're not wrong. That doesn't mean there weren't savage war parties.
I'm just saying that a non-controversial Western River Expedition can be created that celebrates the imagery and spirit of adventure of the Old West without portraying clashes between settlers and tribes. There are limitless other possibilities for making a fun, beauty-and-danger-filled adventure that everyone can enjoy...except for people who hate drops.

TROR

I'm just saying that a non-controversial Western River Expedition can be created that celebrates the imagery and spirit of adventure of the Old West without portraying clashes between settlers and tribes. There are limitless other possibilities for making a fun, beauty-and-danger-filled adventure that everyone can enjoy...except for people who hate drops.
The only people who can't enjoy history are the people who seek to erase it.

Phroobar

One more thing: The ride should have a recreation of the American Sings "Home on the Range" campfire scene, but with cowboys instead of animals (but keep the rattlesnake raising its head to listen). This would be a quiet, beautiful, sunset-lit moment just before the ride gets crazy and raucous for the you're-all-in-danger-get-outta-here grand finale leading to the big drop.
Maybe they can recreate this scene from Blazing Saddles. It seems to be the way Disney is heading anyhow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom