Would You Sacrifice Splash Mountain and Critter Country For Western River Expedition?

Would You Sacrifice Splash Mountain and Critter Country For Western River Expedition?

• Total voters

SuddenStorm

Western River had a number of caricatures that would likely not be embraced by modern audiences. It's also a 40+ year old concept that would need major rethink to make work, and it's main creator is dead. Seeing how modern Imagineering has treated Marc Davis's Pirates of the Caribbean concepts, I'd hate to see what they'd do with his Western River concepts.

At this point, what'd be the point?

SuddenStorm

Also, Jim Hill has an excellent series on the history of Western River and how it spawned Big Thunder, as well as some of the internal drama the whole thing caused.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9

Lengthy reads, but really insightful and entertaining, though one wonders how much Jim Hill embellished things. I assume the major story beats are accurate.

TwilightZone

I voted maybe because technically wre does exist in ride form: via phantom manor.
Plus kinda unoriginal and prone to disney potentially wanting to tone it down.

BUT, it would totally be better than pooh + hungry bear...just keep splash though.

SuddenStorm

I voted maybe because technically wre does exist in ride form: via phantom manor.
Plus kinda unoriginal and prone to disney potentially wanting to tone it down.

BUT, it would totally be better than pooh + hungry bear...just keep splash though.

What does WRE have to do with Phantom Manor? I wasn't aware the two projects were linked in any way, or that any major refences to WRE are present in Phantom Manor.

TwilightZone

What does WRE have to do with Phantom Manor? I wasn't aware the two projects were linked in any way, or that any major refences to WRE are present in Phantom Manor.
Apparently, there's a few scenes from WRE that made it's way into phantom manor, mainly the bar room scene.
Don't quote me on that though, since I get all my info from outside sources that might not be accurate.

lazyboy97o

No. The true scale and scope of the project extended far beyond just Western River Expedition and was intended specifically for the Magic Kingdom. Proposing it for Disneyland was more an act of desperation as Marc Davis realized that the original, grand vision was not going to happen.

TROR

No. The true scale and scope of the project extended far beyond just Western River Expedition and was intended specifically for the Magic Kingdom. Proposing it for Disneyland was more an act of desperation as Marc Davis realized that the original, grand vision was not going to happen.
Bingo. This is not Disneyland's attraction to build just as the Hatbox Ghost does not belong in WDW's Mansion. And again, like you said, this was a larger project than just WRE. To not have it be intertwined with Big Thunder Mountain would be a real shame.

VJ

None of those are original.
ah, i thought you meant original as in new and not as in IP (even though western river has no IP...?); though technically, the things i listed are original concepts; they're based on IP but the attractions/lands themselves are original concepts if you take away the IP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom