Would you/do you take your kids out of school

GoofyFan1

When I was a high school teacher I was working at school from 6:45 until 4pm just about every day at which point I would take papers home to grade. I also worked several hours on Sunday or Saturday afternoon. In addition to teaching I was busy planning lessons, helping students, writing exams, meeting or talking with parents, working with other teachers, writing college letters of recommendation, etc. Creating a packet of assignments for a student who was missing school for a vacation would have been the last thing on my to-do list.

Crazy, isn't it? Yet everyone seems to think we have that "Disney Magic" and everything just magically happens in our classrooms. As a biology teacher here in NY I also regularly spend nights, sometimes until 10 pm and weekends prepping for labs, and correcting lab reports.:hammer:

If you are taking your children out of school, good for you, I wish I could. Please remember though, as you can see in these posts, that the teacher has duties already, including a family of their own, and creating a packet for your child may not be in the cards.

DizFanatic

We took our kids for a trip durring the first week of December 2006. They were in 6th & 3rd grades while the younges was in preschool. Our oldest had a difficult time readjusting to school, but my dad had also went into the hospital when we got back (which didn't help as he is real close with his grandfather). We had the most wonderful and memorable time. There was really no other way to enjoy WDW during the Holidays (except for the overcrowded Christmas week) and we figured it's now-or-never to enjoy this magical time of year in the most magical place on earth, with our kids still at a magical age.
:xmas:
With all that said;
Do we regret taking them out of school? Absolutely not!
Would we take them out of school again? Only for a similar situation.

It's completely up to Mom & Dad & don't let anybody criticize you for your decisions!

newfanatic

Also, I really don't understand how anyone can think it's a good idea for kids to miss up to week of school in September. It's a crucial time when the kids get back into the school year rhythm.

Actually, I pulled my kids out this past Sept 20-26. I thought they missed a lot less than they did when I pulled them out in November two years ago. These are the only two times I have done this, but both times my kids had the bulk of the work done before we even left. This time, all they missed was review of last year's stuff, and actually were ahead of the class when they got back. I guess everyone was still "getting back into the school year rhythm " when we returned. My son's teacher was actually out herself for three days, so he really missed nothing. When they missed in November, I felt it took a little bit more effort to catch up and get back in the swing of things.

It really does depend on the individual children, their teachers, and the school district. Here, everyone does it, including some of the teachers. I was not given a hard time by anyone on either occasion. You have to do what is best for your situation.

Pooh88

As a former teacher I never had this work out well. Kids would miss a test and never do well when they made it up. I think it gets harder as they get older. If a high schooler is in block scheduling, that is a lot of lecture time missed. I would have kids in MS miss entire units. There are 180 days to choose from so I guess I feel you can find a good time. Just my opinion...

FatBoy976

My mom used to pull my little brother and I out of school in early December every year. We took an entire week off and went to Disney World when the parks were empty. Our teachers always knew where we were going and usually gave us homework to do while we were away.

Since then I went on to get my degree in mechanical engineering at Georgia Tech and my brother is currently in Harvard med school. I think the school we missed did not adversely affect our total education.

If your kids are good students and you think they can make up the work, go and have a good time.

figment3258

I would have no problem taking my girls out of school when they are in school. Just bring the make up work with you or do it the days before you leave

We just returned from a 7 day trip to Disney on 10/4. My kids are both in 1st grade. I guess I am very blessed with 2 wonderful teachers. They have both been informed of this vacation since the 1st day of school. Both were very happy to gather homework packages. I volunteer in both classes each week and was allowed to assist in making the packets. Both teachers told me to enjoy the vacation and not worry if it was not all completed (it was completed). Our teachers seem to understand that not all vacations can fit into the school schedule and family time is important as well. I have no regrets our family had a wonderful time!

Karolena

Obviously every situation is different and only you know your kids. Generally speaking, if they're really young it's not going to have that big of an impact on their school work, unless things have changed since I was in elementary school.

From personal experience, go for it. My parents always took me out for a day or two. I missed two days of my senior year of high school (which was like 3 AP classes along with my other classes) and nothing horrible happened. I gave my teachers plenty of warning and got most of my stuff done before I left, they didn't have a problem with it at all. In fact, one of my teachers was taking a day off to go with his wife and daughter.

I was not behind for months and my GPA was not affected in any way. Plan ahead and do whatever you want.

Have fun at Disney World and say "hi" to Figment for me. :wave:

tinkerbell65

We have always taken our kids out of school to visit the world. The parks are just too crowded during school vacation times. My kids don't normally get "sick" during the year and rarely miss school otherwise. I think everyone needs a break from the real world now and then!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom