Would you/do you take your kids out of school

Phonedave

The one thing that drives me crazy is how people make the rationalization that it's okay to take your kids out of school because WDW is educational. While it is true that you can learn many things at Disney, if your child learns more at WDW than at school there is a problem with your school. Also, I really don't understand how anyone can think it's a good idea for kids to miss up to week of school in September. It's a crucial time when the kids get back into the school year rhythm.

Thank you.

I have said that over and over again. If you are going to choose to have your kids miss part of their education so they can go on vacation -fine, that’s your call as a parent. But to then claim that WDW is educational because they will be "immersed in culture" or will "learn how to interact in crowds" or will "learn scheduling" just smacks of trying to ease ones conscience.

If you want to take your kids out of school to go on vacation, then fine, do it. I have done it. But know that they ARE missing things, even in the lower grades. I taught my kids a lot before they entered school, so they were "ahead" in reading and math. But if you have a young child who is just learning to read, and you take them out when the class is learning vowel sounds, it is a lot more detrimental then missing "the color blue"

And for the record, my kids used to be in private school, and they gave me hell when I took them out. No support at all. The teachers wanted to, but school policy was no assistance. Our public schools are MUCH better, with an excellent parent/teacher relationship.

Also, I agree it’s the parents right to take the kids out of school if they want. It is also the schools right to penalize the student as per their rules.

-dave

jmicro59

I've taken my DD out of school for up to 4 days for a WDW trip many times. I mean how much schooling can she miss in 4 days?!? She attends a private school so her school work comes with us and is turned in when she goes back. Her grades haven't slipped and I think she is an even better student when she goes back as she’s more relaxed and ready to go. I’m not preaching here but, I don’t teach my child that school is the only place she’ll gain knowledge and I’m not saying anyone here is doing that. That’s just what I pass on to my child.

KingStefan

- what type of student are they?
- how old are they? what grade?

This is a highly debated topic on many Disney message boards.

Really!? I've never seen it discussed before. Don't want to/mean to stir up any trouble! Geesh, we won't be going back for another 4 years so, she'll be in the 3rd grade. She'll start kindergarden next fall so no idea what type of student she'll be.

We returned from our trip 2 weeks ago and I was surprised to see a lot of school age kids in the parks. So it must not be that uncommon to do... :shrug:

It's hard to believe that you've never seen this discussed before. For those who are interested in getting even more opinions, here are a few example threads. I'm sure there are a few more I missed:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=87107
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=22883
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=221300
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=219234
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=137608
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=79625
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=39836
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=7588

BigKahuna

School or Disney

It definitely is up to the parents...we are leaving in 2 days (yay) and our
daughter who is in middle school is missing 3 days...but she knew ahead of time it was based on her grades and keeping up with homework (she did her assignments this past weekend and will do the rest on the flight to/from Disney). In my family, with both parents working different shifts, we look forward to our trips, and let's face it -they grow up very fast!:animwink:

daliseurat

No matter how you slice it, taking kids out of school for a vacation can't be rationalized as a GOOD IDEA academically. We're kidding ourselves when we say it's GOOD for the kids to be taken out of school. We do it because it's more convenient, cheaper and can provide us with a better vacation.

That said, as long as you schedule trips away from important school events and testing, work with a teacher, and make the kids study and do homework while on vacation it probably won't ruin the kids. As they get older, it gets harder. A couple missed days can have a negative impact, especially in HS.

The bottom line is, everyone is entitled to make these decisions. Everyone is supposed to act in their children's best interests. And we all have differing ideas on that. Where we live, some kids are taken out of school for two weeks at time with no regard for their studies. This sort of irresponsible behavior makes me more vigilant. I plan very carefully before taking my child out of school. And, grades play the biggest part.

KingStefan

It is amazing the difference in the rules at the various schools, even within the same disctrict. In my town, it depends on the principal. At the elementary school on the East Side of town, the policy is "no absence for family vacation is allowed, so don't even ask the teachers for extra work ahead of time, because they have been told not to give it out (but the students will be expected to make it up when they return)". I think this policy is overrestrictive, especially for K-3.

But at the middle school and high school, parents are discouraged from taking students out of school for family vacation, but it is allowed, and they are encouraged if they do to get work from the teachers ahead of time (it still counts as unexcused absence, however, which is limited to 8 days per semester). This is much more sensible, and should apply to the elementary school as well.

As other posters have said, it is a personal choice, and depends on the child and his or her ability.

ok here is my take.....
here in the school dist we are in the teachers have these "Teacher work days" they are about 8 of the throughout the year.....2 of them together....they are days that the teachers are supposed to be doing inservice training....although it is commonly known that many of these days the teachers use it as a "personal" flex day.

Now if the same ppl that are sooooo worried that our kids will "miss" something while not being in school....then they shouldnt be having to shut the schools down so many days....it would be different if the teachers REALLY did go somewhere and "learn" while off on these days....

SO we are leaving in 30 Days We will be taking our daughter out for 5 days od school......we will make sure she catched up she loves to go, looks forward to it every year....and is an A/B student

My parents would take me out of school all the time. I would say I learned more about life and how the world works by spending time with my family in WDW. The best thing you could do for kids is to take them to WDW and spend time with them as a family.

k.hunter30

No matter how you slice it, taking kids out of school for a vacation can't be rationalized as a GOOD IDEA academically. We're kidding ourselves when we say it's GOOD for the kids to be taken out of school. We do it because it's more convenient, cheaper and can provide us with a better vacation.
I could not disagree more to such a generalized statement.

My parents took me out of school at least every other year for a vacation. I was blessed enough to have the opportunity to travel to places all over the world including China, Central America, Tunisia, Rome, etc. Not to toot my own horn, but those experiences have benefitted me so much more so than if I were to have stayed in class during those weeks.

I learned things about culture and history I never would have learned by listening to a lecture or reading a book. I learned compassion for people in other countries. I learned not to take the things we have here in America for granted. I became "worldly" at age 12 - and not many can say that.

If my parents didn't take me out of school for those trips, I would have missed out on visiting those magnificent places. We couldn't afford trips like that during peak season. And becuase they DID take me out and let me experience the world, I have been to places some people only dream about going and I feel so blessed to have been able to do so.

So, needless to say, I would take my kids out of school (granted that they are good students and have proven that they could handle such) to experience the world in a heartbeat! :eek:

clareita

My parents took me out of school at least every other year for a vacation. I was blessed enough to have the opportunity to travel to places all over the world including China, Central America, Tunisia, Rome, etc. Not to toot my own horn, but those experiences have benefitted me so much more so than if I were to have stayed in class during those weeks.

So, needless to say, I would take my kids out of school (granted that they are good students and have proven that they could handle such) to experience the world in a heartbeat! :eek:

What we're talking about is taking your kids out of school to go to Disney and that justifying it as an educational trip is a little crazy. Taking you around the world as your parents did is unquestionably educational. However, as wonderful as those experiences would be for a child, it doesn't change the fact that too many absences, especially at the high school level, will adversely affect students' grades.

I can't wait until my kids are old enough for this kind of travel. As fantastic and fun as WDW is, I can't imagine taking every vacation there. The world is filled with too many wonders for me to always go to Disney.

KingStefan

I am a bit cynical about US school systems in general. While being taken out of school isn't for everyone, I'm in favor of it if the parents really feel that it's OK.

OK, I'm about to start on a rant, here, so there will be some exaggeration to make my point (you have been warned).

IMO Schools in general do not focus on teaching anymore. In large part, schools seem to be mostly concerned about measurement. In school, they test. Then they assign huge amounts of homework and projects that require family envolvement, and the parents teach. Or the kids have to figure it out themselves. Grades are based not on how much they've learned, or even how much they know. Grades are based on how much work they've done.

Going out in the world and playing, especially with other kids, organizing games by themselves, learning how to be social with others, learning crafts, playing sports, being with family; these things are just as important if not more important than sitting in a classroom. Especially if most of the time you're taking a test or a quiz or "going over the homework". This used to be recognized. But nowadays the schools often care only about how hard the kids work and whether they test well on standardized exams.

This is a great disservice to our children. I don't know how to fix it.

But the relevance to this discussion is this: for most kids, if they take work with them on vacation and are diligent about doing it, there is not much difference between that and being in the classroom. This is unfortunate, but true. Most of their real learning is accomplished through the work they are sent home with anyway.

If your children are fortunate enough to have one of the few teachers who inspire them to seek knowledge out, and who teach them how to learn for themselves in the classroom, then they will miss something if you pull them out of school. These teachers in my admitedly limited experience are generally discouraged and told to "dumb it down" and "get more basis for grades", and "focus more on what is going to be on the standardized tests".

OK, rant over. I know I've made some overgeneralizations and exaggerations, and I apologize if anyone is offended. Let the flaming begin.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
My parents never took my sister or I out of school for a vacation, except for maybe a day or so on the end of a school break, and a Friday to start a weekend trip to family Bar Mitzvah or something like that. I never questioned it, and it seemed really quite logical to me.

We went to WDW about once every couple years. always on a school break. And it was always crowded, and this was before FastPass (and before the Studios and A-K). We expected the crowds, planned for them, and had a great time. My point -- you don't have to go during less crowded times in order to have a great vacation at WDW.

That being said, I have no problem with parents making the call to take kids out of school for a vacation. My son is 4 and I believe that I will, when he gets to that point, be willing to take him out of school for a family vacation. But I think I would only do it for a better reason than avoiding the crowds. For example, if I couldn't afford to go during the high season (not really an issue), or if I was coordinating with extended family who weren't available during school breaks, or if a special event was going on (friend participating in Magical Music Days, for example). But to avoid crowds? I think I will conclude that school is more important than that.

k.hunter30

What we're talking about is taking your kids out of school to go to Disney and that justifying it as an educational trip is a little crazy.

Sorry, I was responding to this post:
No matter how you slice it, taking kids out of school for a vacation can't be rationalized as a GOOD IDEA academically...
...to which I said I could not disagree more to generalized statement. ;)

TheBeatles

I've never known anybody (myself included) who suffered academically because they went on vacation. I don't think 3-7 days of your life spent in Disney World will ruin you or your education. Instead of worrying so much, go enjoy your life and your family. When I'm on my death bed and I look back on my life, I will never regret missing school to go to Walt Disney World. We only live once, have some damn fun!

KingStefan

One point that I think has not been made: When you go to the parks during a busy time there are some advantages as well. The park hours are longer. There are more parades, more elaborate parades, and generally more entertainment. So I agree with a previous poster that just to avoid crowds is not a good reason all by itself. With proper planning, you can minimize the down side of the crowds.

Expense is something else. And weather. And tour groups. Combine all that, and maybe you've got a good argument. But not crowds alone.

islesgirl

I am an elementary school teacher and when I was a student teacher the school I was in wouldn't allow teachers to give student the work in advance if it was for a family vacation. If they were sick, death in the family etc they would send the work home but the school felt that why should the teacher have the extra work of getting things together for your student because you are going on vacation. I thought that was a little extreme. I have no problem with my students missing a few days for a family vacation as long as they are doing well and get the work done. When I have kids I will probably take a week off of work and take my kids out of school to go in the off season, lol.

KingStefan

...When I have kids I will probably take a week off of work and take my kids out of school to go in the off season, lol.

How will you manage that? DW is a school teacher, and the only reason we don't go during the school year is she can't get off. That and because older DD, in 8th grade, will have a hard time making up all the tests and quizzes she'd miss - she doesn't deal with that sort of thing well.

But mainly it's because of DW's work. So how would that work for you?

mickeyandtigger

Taking kids out of school

We always take our son out of school for our trips. It is too busy during school vacation times. Now that being said our son is a good student and the school district offers an independant study program if your child is out for more than 5 school days. Each teacher makes a packet of assignments for him to complete and turn in when he comes back to school. The teachers are usually understanding that we are on vacation and do not pile on the work, many even try to incorporate the trip itself into the assignments.

happymom52003

I am a bit cynical about US school systems in general. While being taken out of school isn't for everyone, I'm in favor of it if the parents really feel that it's OK.

OK, I'm about to start on a rant, here, so there will be some exaggeration to make my point (you have been warned).

IMO Schools in general do not focus on teaching anymore. In large part, schools seem to be mostly concerned about measurement. In school, they test. Then they assign huge amounts of homework and projects that require family envolvement, and the parents teach. Or the kids have to figure it out themselves. Grades are based not on how much they've learned, or even how much they know. Grades are based on how much work they've done.
[/quote
I could not agree more with your post.....which is why after teaching in both public and private schools in my city, I put my children in a classical Christian private school. It has been the best decision I have ever made.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom