Would Disney sell the parks for the right price?

Would Disney sell the parks for the right price?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
After reading the thread about some prince spending time at Disney World, and people getting worried about Disney possibly selling the parks, it brought up a great question.

Would Disney, if the price was right, sell off the parks to outsiders? What if Donald Trump wanted to buy the parks and offered a check with more zero's than ever thought possible.

Think Disney would sell? Or would they keep what they have?

Jimmy Thick-They would sell for the right price...

wvdisneyfamily

My honest answer is no. I really wanted to vote sell them to Jimmy because he needs some compensation for the Spaceship Earth incident. Lol!

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
In all honestly, I would not be shocked if Disney sold off all their parks one day, just look at the money they are making on the movies.

The last Pirates movie just made over a billion dollars, and the thing is, its not even all that good. Even if it cost 500 million to make, it still made that already and will make more down the line with blue-ray and dvd sales.

Why drop 250 million on a new attraction when for the same price you can make more money with Johnny Depp?

Jimmy Thick-The Pirates movies have brought in more money than the ride...

Chef Mickey

Anything is for sale at the right price.

Disney is an $80b company with a brand worth many billions. If it were sold, I would guess the buyers would still want the Disney brand and management to remain intact. All of their companies are tightly wound, so a potential buyer might have to buy the entire Disney company for it to make sense. At a 20% premium over today's market value, you're looking at a $100b deal. We've never seen a deal that big. The only company with a real shot at buying Disney without some crazy leveraged deal (would be the biggest in history) is Apple. They are looking like they'll have close to $100b in cash on their balance sheet at the end of the year.

Apple is a great company, but they probably don't know a lot about managing hotels, parks, making movies, and marketing/merchandising.

Donald Trump wouldn't sniff buying even a part of Disney. He doesn't have nearly enough money and the creditors have him on the hook for other investments.

Few realize Disneyland Paris is only 51% owned by Disney and Tokyo Disney has different owners licensed to run the parks by Disney.

Typically, business units are sold off when the cash flow becomes negative or just generally weak to the point that shareholder pressure forces the company to spin failing businesses off to suitable buyers. IBM did this with its PC business in 2005 and have never looked back. HP could do the same with its PC business as PC sales become weak. I don't think Disney is even close to a point that the theme park business is struggling enough to spin it off.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

It would be nice to see Epcot get sold to another company without the Disney rights. And to be honest if they were all sold theres a possibility a new company would treat the parks and keep them up much nicer. Look at Tokyo Disneyland. It could go both ways, the parks could turn to crap or they could just get even better.

Walt Disney1955

I would have to say no. For starters, the parks would be ruined within the snap of a finger. Yes, they would still want the "Disney" name attached to it but slowly but surely the park would change into something we wouldn't recognize anymore. And in all honesty, can any amount of money make it worthwhile to replace actually owning Disney? Considering the money that comes in as it is?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It would be nice to see Epcot get sold to another company without the Disney rights. And to be honest if they were all sold theres a possibility a new company would treat the parks and keep them up much nicer. Look at Tokyo Disneyland. It could go both ways, the parks could turn to crap or they could just get even better.

I think that just the possibility that the parks could be sold off would be a wakeup call for The Disney Company...at least I would hope so.

Buy-outs of TDC have happened several time in the past few years and have been fought off of rebuffed because they knew what was best for the company.

Surely TDC knows that the parks are their main public weenie...PIXAR notwithstanding. Disney Films are certainly not the cash cow that they once were

If this does come about, I will be sorely disappointed in TDC's interest in their own future net worth and will sell my stocks immediately.

CaptainJackNO

If the Disney Parks are ever sold to another company, You can kiss the whole thing goodbye. The clock will begin ticking to the end with such a deal. No other company is capable of running a Disney park the right way. So, if this ever happens, book all your trips as often as you can and take as many pics as possible because everything will unravel after that.

The thought is disgusting. Back in 1987, when Eisner and Wells took over, the Disney Company had just escaped a hostile takeover that would have, effectually, done what a new owner would do, water down the product. As frustrated as some on this board get, the sale of these parks would spell certain doom for the Disney that we all know and love.

I do not think that the Disney Corporation would sell of the parks in the U.S. I understand about bottom line, but they would be left with movies and television. Television is not what it once was and movies are hit or miss. The parks are a constant profit center for the company, not to mention a place to help foster loyalty to the new and old Disney characters and movies. It does not seem to make sense.

A bunch of execs would basically lead themselves to unemployment for a one time 1 billion dollar pay day? Not happening. If it does, then Disney has the DUMBEST execs in the corporate world. Why did the Disney Family sell out most of its interest in the Disney Corporation? There is no one to protect Walt and Roy's hard work and legacy. It would be the end of a true American success story.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
There is no one to protect Walt and Roy's hard work and legacy. It would be the end of a true American success story.

No one in the Disney Company cares about anything Walt or Roy accomplished, the only thing the Disney Company cares about now is share holder value.

If the price of Disney shares dropped significantly, those parks would be up for sale. Its nice to be romantic about what the Disney name represents, but the hard reality is, the Disney Company is not run by anyone with the Disney name that matters.

Jimmy Thick-Disney in name only.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=4642088&postcount=108

If you read this prince's Wiki, he's already associated with Disney, and he could be a silent investor in some other fashion. There are other Disney bigwigs on property, people are reading way to much into this.

For all anyone knows, they all could be at Disney World on vacation in a weird investor bonding moment.

Jimmy Thick-Sell the parks? Yeah right...

No one in the Disney Company cares about anything Walt or Roy accomplished, the only thing the Disney Company cares about now is share holder value.

If the price of Disney shares dropped significantly, those parks would be up for sale. Its nice to be romantic about what the Disney name represents, but the hard reality is, the Disney Company is not run by anyone with the Disney name that matters.

Jimmy Thick-Disney in name only.

Jimmy Thick-Thick enough to confuse even himself....

Oddysey

Be careful what you wish for. While I am saddend by the general direction Futureworld has taken over the last decade, I still would rather it be in Disney's hands than anyone elses. As the old cliche goes "The grass is not always greener on the other side."

isman250

This is horrible to even think about, I would never want them to sell. I understand bottom lines, but Disney execs cant be that stupid. The simple fact is, if money is a problem theyll figure it out. Their is WAY to much profit in disney, minus the fact that even in these hard times they are still coming out ahead. I mean their is just truly not one person I think in this world that doesnt know about disney world and has said to themselves "I dont want to go there". Its disney world, and people will always want to go.

powlessfamily4

I seriously doubt it... at least not the US Parks. Did I ever mention how much I dislike idle speculation?

Jimmy Thick-Denser by the Day!

Thrill

If the Disney Parks are ever sold to another company, You can kiss the whole thing goodbye. The clock will begin ticking to the end with such a deal. No other company is capable of running a Disney park the right way. So, if this ever happens, book all your trips as often as you can and take as many pics as possible because everything will unravel after that.

What of Oriental Land Company, who owns and operates Tokyo Disneyland Resort, often praised as the best Disney resort in the world? Some might argue it's cultural, others argue that the quality in Tokyo is thanks to a contractual obligation to uphold a high standard of quality.

The only Disney parks that Disney owns are Disneyland and Walt Disney World. Disneyland has had its fair share of down time (Pressler era, anyone?), and WDW is currently on the decline. Disney has about 50% stakes in Paris and Hong Kong, and Tokyo is licensed out.

The thought is disgusting. Back in 1987, when Eisner and Wells took over, the Disney Company had just escaped a hostile takeover that would have, effectually, done what a new owner would do, water down the product. As frustrated as some on this board get, the sale of these parks would spell certain doom for the Disney that we all know and love.

Read above. Treat the prospective owner of the US parks as they do Oriental Land Company, and the parks could even see an increase in quality.

I do not think that the Disney Corporation would sell of the parks in the U.S. I understand about bottom line, but they would be left with movies and television. Television is not what it once was and movies are hit or miss. The parks are a constant profit center for the company, not to mention a place to help foster loyalty to the new and old Disney characters and movies. It does not seem to make sense.

From my memory, television was actually Disney's biggest profit. ESPN and ABC are huge cash cows.

A bunch of execs would basically lead themselves to unemployment for a one time 1 billion dollar pay day? Not happening. If it does, then Disney has the DUMBEST execs in the corporate world. Why did the Disney Family sell out most of its interest in the Disney Corporation? There is no one to protect Walt and Roy's hard work and legacy. It would be the end of a true American success story.

It's going to be more than a billion. Way more than a billion. My guess would be well over $10 billion.

A sale, treated correctly, could work wonders for us as customers. Disney executives have failed WDW. License it out the way they do to Oriental Land Company, and the parks could improve vastly. Disney would still have creative control (as they do in Tokyo) given that they hold on to Imagineering. Last I read, they're switching WDI to Universal Creative's business model, so Disney shouldn't have much of a problem keeping WDI.

As I've said repeatedly, I have no issue with Disney selling the parks if they force the buyer into keeping a high standard of quality.

Will they do it? My guess is no. I don't see anyone coming up with enough cash to buy the parks. The public image problems coming from a sale of an American icon probably wouldn't hold too well for Disney, either.

Motorpro

They are a buisness so of course they would for the right price. The price would have to be ubsurd. Trump doesn't have close to enough money. Will it happen in the near future I don't think so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom