Worst part of the Resorts and why?

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
eh...I'm not usually up for negativity normally, but I just got back from WDW and I'm back to my day to day work doldrums so I have a little bit of negativity to spare..;)
So Like I said we came back from da World. Our first stay at WL -- We LOVED it absolutely LOVED it, from the grounds, the lobby, the restaurants, the pool, the watercraft transportation to the MK....

The room..eh..that left a lot to be desired. It was cramped and felt super run down.
I will say this -- the rest of the amenities at this resort are so on point they practically make the room a non issue and certainly not a show stopper. I'd visit again. I just wish the room matched the rest of the resort awesomeness.
First World problems, First World problems.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
My family stayed at Animal Kingdom lodge in 2009. We had to walk and walk and walk and walk and keep walking for what felt like a mile to get to and from our room. That's really the only negative thing I've experienced with Disney resorts.

Yeah definitely agree with this! The first Deluxe we stayed at was the AKL and we got upgraded to a Savannah view, which actually ended up being double Savannah view the very end room on the corner....but man, oh man was that a walk!

DISCLOSURE:
Ain't it nice we're in financial situations where we can come together and talk about our problems, and the problems are...
"My deluxe room on my 5 thousand dollar vacation is too small"
"The walk to my deluxe room with view of exotic animals is way too long"

HouCuseChickie

Thanks HouCuse. I honestly meant this thread to be informative that's why I even said "that you find personally displeasing."

Additionally, I'm not basing my full opinion on anyone else's bad experience. I don't believe that POR would deny me extra towels upon request and I'll be staying at POR this year. I just think it's helpful to know.

I guess it will be better to let this thread fall wayside.

Understood. FWIW, I'll try putting together a list of useful negatives...

1. AKL and WL room size - while they may seem spacious compared to a value, the usable space isn't much greater than a moderate and noticeably smaller than the other deluxe resorts...especially those on the monorail. It was much more obvious to me at WL since we had a large stroller with us, and the rooms at WL feel darker...which can make things feel smaller. I bring this up because I can be a bit claustrophobic. Beyond that, while AKL and WL are the cheapest of the deluxe resorts, you do sometimes hear people bothered because they expected more space for the deluxe pricing and classification.

2. Beds at Values - can't speak from experience, but aside from the small room size, double beds keep us away. I know some people are fine in double beds, but for those that are not...you would be best looking to a moderate. The whole "it's just a place to sleep and shower" flies right out the window if you're going to be miserable in the bed.

3. YC Quick Service - We are not huge on quick service meals, but I rely on them for snacks or a little plate to share to get us by. Still, I know others who favor them heavily. Let's just say YC pretty much has none. You can walk over the BC Marketplace, but even their selection is meh.

4. BC Balcony Situation - If you've ever really looked at BC, you'll notice that many of the rooms have these mini balconies. I know you could argue that many of the Poly rooms and Contemporary garden wing rooms are also without balconies, but I think I'd rather have none than a faux one. Hey, if you're paying for deluxe...you might as well have a balcony or patio!

Beyond that, I have my share of negatives from personal experiences and preferences, but this is probably the only universally helpful info.

Dwarful

We have stayed at each level...value, mod and deluxe.
Values: if you go All Stars expect lots of tour groups and the size and space of the food courts can't handle all those people when they come in big groups. Pop and AoA seemed to have fewer groups so the food courts weren't as bad.
Moderates - bus stops can be chaotic and the buses can loop around before heading to the parks. This can seem like it adds a lot of time on but in reality it can be an additional 15 - 30 minutes depending on how long it takes people to load. Also, to us, the rooms don't seem to be any larger than the values and have less drawer storage space.

Deluxe - If you are driving your own car and staying at an Epcot resort it can be challenging to find decent parking sometimes. Some deluxe resorts don't have much in the way of quick service locations. Drink mugs are not worth it unless you spend a lot of time pool side, otherwise it can be quite a walk to get refills.

Nero the dog

Boardwalk - Parking, not the end of the world if you can get in the main car park near the conference centre, but if you end up across the road it is a royal pain in the .....

OKW - Buses, depending on where you are staying it just seems to take forever to get round the resort before or after going anywhere.

Vegas Disney Fan

I love everything about POFQ except the food court decorations, they're creepy.

The closest thing to a housekeeping issue was dust on the dresser behind the TV and behind the alarm, I use sanitizing wipes when I stay at hotels and that was it housekeeping wise. Barely worth mentioning.

pug

I'm always seeing threads asking for "the best" or your "favorite" and not that I want to be negative but information is priceless and I found information online about resorts that if I hadn't found out prior to booking would have made me a little miserable.

For example.
I found out that the All Stars Resorts play Disney music around the clock. That would have been very over-stimulating for us.
And that the Caribbean does not have any elevators.
We read a review that Port Orleans has poor housekeeping and refuse to give you extra towels if you ask.

So, what are some Disney Resort negatives that you find personally displeasing?
Port Orleans does have poor housekeeping

NonnaT

Every Disney resort plays music around the clock; the soundtrack is themed to each resort (for example, jazz tunes at POFQ, Hawaiian songs at Poly.) The music in the food courts of the value resorts can be a little loud, but no louder than music played in your local restaurants.

CBR and the Alligator Bayou section of POR don't have elevators because they were built before modern requirements.

I wouldn't base an assessment of POR "poor housekeeping" on one review. Remember people are way more likely to post about a bad experience than a good experience. The refusal to provide extra towels is simply not true. We have never had a bad housekeeping experience at POR.
We have never, ever had bad housekeeping at a WDW! AND, we gave an extra tip to our housekeeper at CBR as she left fabulous towel animals for the grands and really went above and beyond AND she left US a THANK YOU card! What a lady! We sent a complementary note to Disney about her.

rnese

Things that really "grind my gears" about some of the resorts that I've stayed in...

Wilderness Lodge - Too much wood and not enough Pledge!

Contemporary - There's a hole in the side of either end and a freaking futuristic train that comes storming through every now and then. Very poor planning. Why wouldn't they just build the thing about 50 yards to the left...beside the train tracks?

Poly - You walk in and some lady puts flowers around your neck. What if someone has allergies? And there's a volcano right in the back yard. What if that thing goes active? There could be carnage! Lawsuit waiting to happen I tell ya.

jedieaston

Check-in. At normal hotels you just walk in and get your key if you do online check in. Then, if you go to say Fort Wilderness, it's a thirty minute process of waiting for things to load, reprogramming magicbands, printing parking passes, etc. They should already have everything done for you when you get there, because most everybody wants to just get in the park.

Kman

Check-in. At normal hotels you just walk in and get your key if you do online check in. Then, if you go to say Fort Wilderness, it's a thirty minute process of waiting for things to load, reprogramming magicbands, printing parking passes, etc. They should already have everything done for you when you get there, because most everybody wants to just get in the park.

I know what you mean about FW check-in but I feel differently about it probably because we never go to the parks on the day we arrive. I actually LOVE the whole check-in process both for camping and the cabins. We normally go for 10-12 nights so to our family it just helps to build the anticipation. I think it is because the theming is so good both inside and outside. I really don't mind waiting in line- i just kind of soak in the environment and remember that I am just starting another magical vacation!

Much-Pixie-Dust

For me, the worst part of the resort is leaving it to go back home.

At home, I have no wonderfully themed pool with a pirate ship, volcano, or geyser. I have no daily maid service, unless done by me. There's no chef to cook the food I order. I don't step out on my deck and see giraffes and zebras. When it's raining, there is no one to greet me at the door with a towel to dry off, saying "Welcome Home". I have no themed music either (which I love), DH says a Sonos system would fix that problem.

Yep, for me, the worst part of any Disney Resort is leaving and knowing I won't be back at one for another few months, at least.

SeanWM48

Fort Wilderness - no cabins with king beds. or even queen beds.

my fiance and i go, we're in our late 20s and don't have kids yet. love the cabins and everything about them EXCEPT for the double bed. the murphy pull-down bed is a double as well. i'd happily pay extra for a queen or king option.

Kman

Fort Wilderness - no cabins with king beds. or even queen beds.

my fiance and i go, we're in our late 20s and don't have kids yet. love the cabins and everything about them EXCEPT for the double bed. the murphy pull-down bed is a double as well. i'd happily pay extra for a queen or king option.

yeah I'll give you this one! While we love FW and stay there nearly every time we go the beds are an issue! We sleep in a king at home- going to a double is a problem. Our murphy bed was quite lumpy on our last visit so we switched with our daughter and went to the double in the back. Better mattress but man is it small. We are both very average sized people and those sleeping arrangements are NOT fantastic. It always leaves me having to take a nap under the trees by the pool! Not a bad trade off but it would be better if they "upsized" one of the beds in the trailers.

polynesiangirl

The walking at some properties. Worst offenders in my experience were Beach Club (in the villas area,) and AKL. I also thought it was really annoying how far our club level room at AKL was from the club lounge.

Minor irritations of course. Mostly only notice it when you're walking back after a long park day.

Kman

My family stayed at Animal Kingdom lodge in 2009. We had to walk and walk and walk and walk and keep walking for what felt like a mile to get to and from our room. That's really the only negative thing I've experienced with Disney resorts.

Yes this! We stayed one time @ Kidani and man that was a LONG walk. I measured it- a 1/2 kilometre! If you took your car out and got back too late and had to park way back in the garage you had quite the hike ahead of you! If you weren't tired when by the time you parked you were by the time you got to your room. That being said..pretty tough to complain. It was an AMAZING stay and I suppose if this is my only complaint then I am doing ok! I wouldn't turn it down if offered to me again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom