Worst mistake in Epcot history

What is the worst mistake in Epcot history?

• Journey Into Imagination into JIYI and JIIwF

Votes: 208 49.6%
  • Horizons into Mission Space

Votes: 109 26.0%
  • IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth into Harmonious

Votes: 102 24.3%

• Total voters

yensidtlaw1969

Ratatouille isn't an E-ticket but it's a perfectly acceptable attraction. My argument is that it may not have been what EPCOT needed. EPCOT has plenty of those middle of the road attractions and until Guardians opens, it doesn't have a top 10 attraction in WDW on most people's lists.

It's all subjective/relative. I don't think it's very good at all -- I'd probably put it in the bottom third of all WDW rides and wouldn't be willing to wait in any kind of line for it.

I suppose it's the best ride in World Showcase, but that's almost by default. I'd rather ride Soarin', Test Track, Living with the Land, and Spaceship Earth just at EPCOT.
I feel like Ratatouille could be raised a full letter grade by the addition of 3 things:

1) Motion-Base Ride Vehicles
2) Extending the Projection Domes below the sightlines of the vehicles
3) At least ONE impressive, life-size Animatronic Remy - the final scene seems like a perfect place to feature him.

The lack of the motion base is totally puzzling to me - so often in this ride we're parked in front of a screen and meant to believe the projected action is happening to us, but the vehicles just sit there static? Let them trundle a little, at least in the scenes where there's supposedly intense activity. If we're meant to be riding on the back of a rat, it should feel like it. Not to mention falling through the ceiling, scurrying up through the walls, sliding down ramps in the kitchen . . . give us SOME dimension of motion simulation to match.

I've said enough about the Projection Domes on this site, so I won't belabor the point.

Were it up to me this ride would be FULL of life-size animatronic rats - I feel like there's such a weird and distinct lack of Rats for a ride about Rats. The projected ones register as projections - the closest the ride ever comes to making you feel like there are actually rats nearby is in the Pantry when you see their blinking eyes peeking out between things. They don't have to be A-100's, just give us some big furry rats! But short of that, one really solid Remy animatronic to send you off seems perfectly in vogue with Disney's current approach, and I'm surprised they didn't go for it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I feel like Ratatouille could be raised a full letter grade by the addition of 3 things:

1) Motion-Base Ride Vehicles
2) Extending the Projection Domes below the sightlines of the vehicles
3) At least ONE impressive, life-size Animatronic Remy - the final scene seems like a perfect place to feature him.

The lack of the motion base is totally puzzling to me - so often in this ride we're parked in front of a screen and meant to believe the projected action is happening to us, but the vehicles just sit there static? Let them trundle a little, at least in the scenes where there's supposedly intense activity. If we're meant to be riding on the back of a rat, it should feel like it. Not to mention falling through the ceiling, scurrying up through the walls, sliding down ramps in the kitchen . . . give us SOME dimension of motion simulation to match.

I've said enough about the Projection Domes on this site, so I won't belabor the point.

Were it up to me this ride would be FULL of life-size animatronic rats - I feel like there's such a weird and distinct lack of Rats for a ride about Rats. The projected ones register as projections - the closest the ride ever comes to making you feel like there are actually rats nearby is in the Pantry when you see their blinking eyes peeking out between things. They don't have to be A-100's, just give us some big furry rats! But short of that, one really solid Remy animatronic to send you off seems perfectly in vogue with Disney's current approach, and I'm surprised they didn't go for it.
The Floridian RVs don’t pitch at all when parked during show scenes?

Centauri Space Station

Ratatouille isn't an E-ticket but it's a perfectly acceptable attraction. My argument is that it may not have been what EPCOT needed. EPCOT has plenty of those middle of the road attractions and until Guardians opens, it doesn't have a top 10 attraction in WDW on most people's lists.
Can’t speak for others but Spaceship Earth and Test track are easily top 10 for me.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Are they SUPPOSED to??

I think I only got in one ride on EPCOT's, but I've ridden DLP's a handful of times and never had that happen!
With all the chatter on the topic last year, in November I purposely took note in Paris of any movement. There’s a pitching motion in sync with projections, such as pitching forwards then back in the fall through the skylight. Took my glasses off and watched the RV next to us. Like you do.

yensidtlaw1969

With all the chatter on the topic last year, in November I purposely took note in Paris of any movement. There’s a pitching motion in sync with projections, such as pitching forwards then back in the fall through the skylight. Took my glasses off and watched the RV next to us. Like you do.
Well, I'm glad you did, because you seem to have verified some terrible luck I've had with the different versions of this ride. My first time on at DLP I felt myself so many times anticipating motion base action that never came and I was so struck by it . . . rode at least one more time that day and several times in trips since and have always thought "Yeah, this ride could REALLY use a motion base". That the EPCOT version also didn't seem to have it was confirmation to me that it just wasn't there. It's definitely colored my general opinion of the attraction.

I presume I'll more likely be at EPCOT before I'm next at DLP (I was there a month ago - I wish I'd known this then!), so I'll have to see what I can do to sort this out!

yensidtlaw1969

They definitely do that at Epcot

Goodness . . . well, this 360 Video confirms it, they definitely DO move! If you drag it to the side you can see the motion on the next vehicle over. I really must just have terrible luck:

They even seem to trundle as the rats move, just like I wished for in my post above. At least I can look forward to my next ride on it including ONE of the items on my list!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Goodness . . . well, this 360 Video confirms it, they definitely DO move! If you drag it to the side you can see the motion on the next vehicle over. I really must just have terrible luck:

They even seem to trundle as the rats move, just like I wished for in my post above. At least I can look forward to my next ride on it including ONE of the items on my list!

Thank you for letting me know I wasn’t going mad. 😁

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I do remember the RV pitching at WDSP, and thought there was some motion as well in Epcot, although I thought it wasn't quite as pronouced there as in Paris. Glad my memory can still recall a few things. :)

TwilightZone

The EPCOT version is sorely missing the restaurant. My sister, who knows nothing about EPCOT was super excited to see a ratatouille attraction, but had immediate disappointment when she found out there was no restaurant attached. Sure EPCOT already has a lot of dining options, but this is one that would actually make sense and would make a lot of people happy (vs. bar on legs).

UNCgolf

The EPCOT version is sorely missing the restaurant. My sister, who knows nothing about EPCOT was super excited to see a ratatouille attraction, but had immediate disappointment when she found out there was no restaurant attached. Sure EPCOT already has a lot of dining options, but this is one that would actually make sense and would make a lot of people happy (vs. bar on legs).

Especially since they ended up building a restaurant as part of the expansion.

celluloid

World Showcase original attractions never happened

I say this one and I will add getting rid of the original Journey Into Imagination.

World Showcase would not have become as much of a restaurant shopping district, but remained an attraction lined and once they ripped out the most basic park aspect of Imagination being a spark that inspires us all than it became possible to rip apart the general goal that is/was lined in every other major attraction.

Goofyernmost

Well, I'm glad you did, because you seem to have verified some terrible luck I've had with the different versions of this ride. My first time on at DLP I felt myself so many times anticipating motion base action that never came and I was so struck by it . . . rode at least one more time that day and several times in trips since and have always thought "Yeah, this ride could REALLY use a motion base". That the EPCOT version also didn't seem to have it was confirmation to me that it just wasn't there. It's definitely colored my general opinion of the attraction.

I presume I'll more likely be at EPCOT before I'm next at DLP (I was there a month ago - I wish I'd known this then!), so I'll have to see what I can do to sort this out!
You think you have had bad luck with the rat ride, I visited DLP about 6 years ago and made a real attempt to experience it. In fact, I spent a total of 2 hours in line for it. I tried three times to queue up and each time I got in close visual distance to the load area only to have it go down and the CM evacuated the queue. I never got to see it.

Since it has been 6 years I was hoping that whatever bug or rodent that was gumming up the works had been remove or at least repaired for the build in Florida. Mute point now, because it looks like my traveling days are over so good or bad, I will not get to see it.

retr0gate

I think anything would be preferable over the bare wall that sits where the windows looking into the restaurant would have been, but I still don't know if a restaurant is the best option here. Especially considering France in EPCOT already has a pretty decent sit-down restaurant, to add another with cartoonish, oversized props would feel very Toy Story Land-esque and out of place for this area of the park. That's not to diss on the restaurant, it actually looks quite nice but definitely better suited for a studio park. I have no problem with Ratatouille being where it is, but a cartoonish restaurant on top of it in World Showcase would be pushing it imo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom