Worse Idea: Castle Cake or Epcot Arm?

egionet

I think the castle cake was one of the worst things ever done at WDW. It was so ugly. I remember being there and seeing it half completed. I was so upset and just thought it was extremely distasteful. Although it was fun, I would have been very upset if my first trip to WDW was to see a giant pink castle that looked like a cake. It was just ugly.

BG Rugger

Original Poster
Originally posted by surfsupdon
Both ideas I liked very much. They added to the ambiance, fun, and magic of Disney, and I accepted both.

It would make sense for the castle to come down, but the adjusted wand could still stay up, I like it, especially at night...

BUT the MGM hat is autrocious and that is what I dislike. Chinese Theater was much betterto look at and suited the area much nicer. So I do at least now how all you "haters" feel in my own special way.:)

Good point, I totally forgot about the hat. Perhaps because it is so horrible I pushed it into my subconscience....just like I did when Alien Encounter was shut down:(

NADisney

The castle as the cake was bad, they should haved transformed the hot-air ballon that was also designed as the castle cake into an inflatible floor ballon located outside the gates of the magic kingdom ( remeber the 15th birthday clock outside the gates).

The Hand was nice ,but needs to go

And we need to get rid of that Hat at the Studios ,they could have placed it outside the gates as a welcome center /inforamtion center to WDW and the Studios and Walt Disney's 100th celebration.

I just hope they don't mess up Disneyland's 50th by painting the castle gold and adding the Fab Five heads to the matterhorn's side..oops, I forgot they almost did , thank god Cynthia Harris disappered before it was put in place.

EvilMortimer

Account Suspended
You guys need to remember that the hat was never meant just for 100 years of magic. It was meant to replace the water tower as the icon of the park. The wand was also meant to be left there. Do you see how the thing is built? The steel frame goes way deep into the ground. It wasn't meant just for 2000... it was meant to increase guest awareness that Epcot is part of WDW. Most people don't know Epcot is Disney. The wand adds the Disney flavor to the park. Now, do I like the wand? Heck no. I'd like to see the wand and Leave a Legacy removed. Then install grand fountains and a reflecting pool. And have it all lit up. That would make the entrance picture perfect.

As for the Studios, I actually love the Hat. I think it's truly unique. And the effects are awesome. However, I'd like to see a new attraction go in called the Great Disney Movie Ride. Remove Man's Chinese Theater and make the Hat the entrance. Now that would be cool.

And the cake... umm, let's wait 18 more years before we see that again.:lol:

cymbaldiva

I intensely disliked the "Castle Cake". I love the Castle, and really disliked it in it's altered state...but at least it finally returned to normal.

When I encountered the Wand for the first time, I thought "Hey, at least it's a tasteful celebration" - I really enjoyed it more when I thought it was leaving though. At least the castle cake left...unfortunately the wand is there to stay. Sad to think that Disney finds it's guests so dumb that they had to slap "Epcot" over SSE so we'd know where we are.

As for the Hat - that's really troubling. I mean, an overdecorated pin shop as the Studios park icon? Say it with me people .....

"Oh Please..." :rolleyes:

civileng68

Account Suspended
staying

Originally posted by BeachClubVillas
I'm okay with them changing things, as long as they fix them when the celebrations are over. I enjoy looking at my pictures from when the castle was pink (except that I was at that God awful age of 13) and I didn't mind the Epcot arm for the 100 years of Magic celebration...I just think it needs to come down ASAP.

I think that the worst idea of all was the Sorcerer hat in front of the Chinese Theater at MGM. It totally blocked the view of the theater, and all that was under the hat was pin trading! Does anyone know if it came down or is coming down soon? I was there in June and it was still there.

Oh, the hat is staying for a long time to come. In fact, they just did a big refub under it to get the pin station in. I like it but also think I'd like the view without it. It is cool though. I think what we're seeing is Disney wants every park to have one major influence from Mickey in the middle of the park.

Marijil

Castle cake was the worst ....poor people who saved up to go for years and get their own castle pics had to deal with that.....ugh

Brad_84

I personally love the Mickey Arm/Epcot sign on Spaceship Earth, I think it adds color, looks awesome at night, and adds a bit of Mickey flare to the front of the park. I really like it and think it adds to the beauty of SE.

As for MGM, I love the sorcerer's hat. Although I did love the theatre being the first thing you see, I like the hat more. It makes such pretty pictures at the end of the street. I think both add beauty.

As for the castle, I never saw it looking like a birthday cake. What year was that? Does anyone have a picture to share? Thanks,

MichRX7

Premium Member
The first time I took my future wife and step-children the castle was a cake. At first my (now) wife was very let-down that it wasn't the normal castle, but than she looked at me and said, "Well I guess you only get to see the cake once every 25 years, and I know being with you I'll get to see it some day as the normal castle."

Wasn't she ever right, she's seen it as the normal castle every year since. :lol:

ruca

I went to WDW when they had the Castle Cake and I have to admit I hated it, but at least it was gone after the celebration! They have left that stupid wand up way too long! It's ugly and it detracts from the skyline Future World and any pictures that you want to tale in front of Spaceship Earth. I hope at some point they remove it!!!:hurl:

stingrock23

I agree with you ruca. The cake was horrible, but thankfully it was gone quickly. The 2000 didn't bother me much because I figured it would go down after the year was over. It did, but that stupid wand is up there now. It just looks stupid. I think the worse idea of the 2 was the cake. I mean, the entire castle was transformed, whereas the hand was just added to SE. I wish they would remove the wand, but i don't think that's going to happen.

It just looks out of place and ridiculous.

LadyDarling

Call me weird but... I LIKE THEM BOTH! :)
The cake was very creative. It looked TERRIBLE on video and commercials, but that was the 1st year I got to see it in person (and be grand marshall in a parade). It looked like you could just take a bite out of it! It was very playful and creative and I appluade creativity. I am glad it only lasted while it was appropriate and was removed eventually, becuase I've come to love the classic majesty of the castle itself as well.

As for the wand and hat, it's like you have a piece of Mickey in every park! I love them both (though I did like seeing the Chinese Theater replica when you walked in too).

So I guess I'm an odd duck.:wave:

aim

I was not a fan of the cake. I love the color pink, and I love the castle, but not the two together! I've gotten used to the hand. I still would like to see SE without it. But if I had to pick, I would say the cake was the worst!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom