Worse Idea: Castle Cake or Epcot Arm?

nicholas

I can't help but think what "improvement" they will make to Animal Kingdom. A giant animatronic of Mickey swinging from branch to branch on the Tree of Life? TACKY.

Djali999

I think that the cake castle was forgiveable as, well, it vanished quickly. I think the Mickey Hat, though, is horrid - it totally obliterates the Chinese Theatre. Did people not know what the building was supposed to be or something? ugh - it's not a bad structure, and it gives MGM an icon, but at what expense? what purpose does it serve?

I don't mind the arm, personally. it's kind of pointless, but I don't mind it.

O'Malley

I definately think the arm is worse. The Epcot ball looked very graceful and elegant at night before the arm was attached. Now the classic symbol of Epcot seems to look a bit too amusement park-ish. (park-ish?) and not as classy.

I also disliked the white Christmas style lights on all the countries around the World Showcase a few years ago. They originally installed them for Illuminations, and it looked great when they lit up during the show. But a few years ago they decided to leave the lights on at night, and looking across the lagoon it looked like a string of used car dealers. I'm glad they're back to the tasteful low lighting on the countries.

I didn't mind the cake that much, but like the others, I knew it was temporary, so it didn't bother me. My wife REALLY disliked it, and wanted "her castle" back.

I guess the castle cake grew stale very quickly. :lol:

aim

Originally posted by Djali999
I think that the cake castle was forgiveable as, well, it vanished quickly. I think the Mickey Hat, though, is horrid - it totally obliterates the Chinese Theatre. Did people not know what the building was supposed to be or something? ugh - it's not a bad structure, and it gives MGM an icon, but at what expense? what purpose does it serve?

I don't mind the arm, personally. it's kind of pointless, but I don't mind it.

When I was younger, I thought the Chinese Theater was the icon for MGM. Since it's like the first thing you see. I don't like the hat in front of it. I think they placed it in the wrong place!

egionet

Originally posted by WDW*babe
When I was younger, I thought the Chinese Theater was the icon for MGM. Since it's like the first thing you see. I don't like the hat in front of it. I think they placed it in the wrong place!

I thought the same thing too. Don't worry, you're not the only one who was misinformed!

Budahman

HI ALL. :wave:
I really liked all of the ideas Disney has chosen. Every one is something different, and that is what makes me go back as much as possible. Usually 1-2 times a year. (It's hard living here in nebraska) to go more than that and still live comfortably. If they change the color of the garbage cans, I'll want to check it out on my next trip. Everything about WDW is really special to me, and when they add new things or change things, I think it's all good. I think the cake was very cool, and am also glad its now down. It's fun to look at old pictures of it now and say---WOW , its been 7+ years since then. Epcot, is cool at night, as well as the hat in MGM. Thats my 2 cents. Bye all. :wave:

Djali999

I'd have to dig through my old WDW promotional materials, but I'm not sure they used the Chinese Theatre that much in the park materials. I could be wrong. but yeah, I always had the impression that it was the icon too... either that or the watertower.

aim

It's pretty much been the earful tower. Although, everyone thought of the Theater when they though of MGM.

disneyisbest

I always saw the Earful Tower being used to represent MGM. Or at least it seemed that way when it first opened. I also just realized that of all the Disney Parks. MGM is the only one that I visited as soon as it opened. Well the same month that it opened.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I thought the Castle Cake was god awful, ugly....

I guess I have just grown accustomed to the wand.

I would like to see Spaceship Earth changes colors at night again. The one lighting theme they only use, is getting rather old.

mrtoad

Originally posted by WDW*babe
It's pretty much been the earful tower. Although, everyone thought of the Theater when they though of MGM.

I agree. I guess it was because itis the centerpiece to the park. Just like the castle, SSE and Tree of Life. Though None are really smack dab in the center.

disneyisbest

I thought that The Tree of Life actually is in the center. I mean there other ones are not quite in the center,but I thought that the Tree of Life actually was.:confused:

mrtoad

Originally posted by disneyisbest
I thought that The Tree of Life actually is in the center. I mean there other ones are not quite in the center,but I thought that the Tree of Life actually was.:confused:

I might be wrong. I only go by what I read or think I am perceiving.

Lovecraft

The hand/wand is the worse thing by far. The temporary cake was a cute and creative idea -- and temporary.

The wand was a bad design, bad concept and just tasteless all around. If one of my employees thought it up, I'd have fired him for even suggesting it.

disneysailor

The epcot arm is by far the worst. Why take a geometrically perfect piece of architecture and add a tacky sparkly cartoon element? Even when it said "2000" rather than "epcot", it didn't look right.

Hopefully the next hurricane will blow it away...

Lovecraft

I have been praying for that. The hurricane. But looking at the structure of the thing (the ugly scaffolding part that while ugly enough, still does not match the ugly hand and wand part) I think it is more likely something good would blow away instead.

What we need is a nice electrical storm one late night, and the grounding of the lightning rods in the wand need to be defeated... and lightning needs to repeatedly strike the wand heating up the structure when just at the right moment a localized tornado or isolated florida wind shear whips the thing down causing some damage to the building and restrooms beside it showing the Disney lawyers that the thing is too much of a liability to keep up and the accountants that it is just too expensive to keep (since the creative folks seem to lack taste in this area).

--Lovecraft

barnum42

The cake by far was the greater looking travesty – take a thing of elegant fairytale beauty and ruin it.

However, as many have said, at least it was temporary and only ruined the view for a year. The hand looks set to stay and it destroys the look of Spaceship Earth.

I don’t dislike the hat, but I do applaud the idea that was posted to stick it outside the entrance.

BigNorm

I liked the cake castle. I thought it was a good change of pace and a fantastic way to celebrate the 25th anniversary. The arm on the other hand, that sucks. Remove it, remove it, remove it! At least after the 25th celebration was over they painted the castle its original colours. After the Millennium celebration the 2000 was changed to the obvious Epcot. Believe me, I don't need a big red Epcot over Spaceship Earth to remind me which park I'm in thank you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom