Worried that I’ll be disappointed by MK

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Lets be honest, the only ones that will probably say it looks like a Disney Walmart are the ones that havent been for years and wont go back because they changed the menu of an overpriced food place they've only been to once lol.

Walt Disney World will never look like a Walmart. Ever.

Mr. Sullivan

While that used to be the case, DL isn’t what it used to be. Plaza Inn is still good.
Honestly? It still is true.

Went to MK two years ago and was just at DL this year and the food was miles, miles, miles better in California. Quick service and table service were both leagues above MK. WDW has better table service options at EPCOT and AK than DL does but there is absolutely zero competition between DL and MK when it comes to food. DL destroys the kingdom.

NeedMoreMickey

I was in Disneyland in January and I think the crowds were about the same as they were the week before in WDW. I also think the up keep and maintenance was about the same. The big difference we noticed was the level of help most of the CM were when we asked a question. in AWDW ask where we can find a shirt and first move was to grab a tablet and look it up, in Disneyland the said don’t know. we had to ask them to look. One evening we asked a CM in the gift shop at Grand Californian where we could go to get some food to have in the room for breakfast and he told us to walk over to Downtown Disney instead of suggesting the QS in the resort. My niece is a CM (engineer) in WDW and was surprised with the service. Seems like east coast and wast coast have different training

TrainsOfDisney

Quick service and table service were both leagues above MK.
I haven’t been to Tianas yet but otherwise I wouldn’t say leagues above - but I don’t think either castle park has particularly great food right now - both have fallen considerably.

I’m not even sure I think Plaza is much better than harbor house - but for historical purposes it wins!

Mr. Sullivan

I haven’t been to Tianas yet but otherwise I wouldn’t say leagues above - but I don’t think either castle park has particularly great food right now - both have fallen considerably.

I’m not even sure I think Plaza is much better than harbor house - but for historical purposes it wins!
The quick service at DL when I was there was mostly all high quality. Hungry Bead, Refreshment Corner, etc all lovely.

And honestly the table service meal we had at Carnation Cafe was better than any meal I’ve ever had at MK, including Skipper Canteen which is their best restaurant.

There was some DL food that was fairly average like Alien Pizza Planet but honestly even their worst offerings that I got to eat didn’t even come close to being as bad as Cosmic Ray’s or Be Our Guest.

TrainsOfDisney

The quick service at DL when I was there was mostly all high quality. Hungry Bead, Refreshment Corner, etc all lovely.
Maybe it’s on the way up again - Hungry Bear used to have a fried green tomato sandwich that was soooooo good but lately it’s all been burgers and fries.

Likewise Rancho used to have fish tacos that were insane but now it’s just beef, chicken, and a soy based protein.

I haven’t actually had anything but the fruit and Nutella waffle from sleepy hollow in MK recently - so I can’t make a direct comparison in that park - but quick serve as a whole at WDW is better than quick serve as a whole at Disneyland Resort in my recent experiences.

Centauri Space Station

Honestly? It still is true.

Went to MK two years ago and was just at DL this year and the food was miles, miles, miles better in California. Quick service and table service were both leagues above MK. WDW has better table service options at EPCOT and AK than DL does but there is absolutely zero competition between DL and MK when it comes to food. DL destroys the kingdom.
Did you go to skippers canteen?

erstwo

For context, I really don’t see myself riding anything in Fantasyland. Maybe Small World just for a laugh- not to denigrate the ride but I’ll be with my dad and when I was like 5 years old I hated Space Mountain so I went on Small World over and over afterwards. Should be nostalgic.

Dad and I want to go on Space Mountain again, along with Tron if the vibe is right. Maybe we’ll do the Peoplemover? Other than that, all of my ride time will be over on the Western half of the park. Pirates, Splash Mtn(yes, I know), Mansion, Thunder Mtn, Jungle Cruise, those are the classic rides that I’m interested in being on. I intend to do After Hours as well, although I might have a different opinion on that after 20,000 steps.

Prior to this, I will be going to Animal Kingdom and then maybe Epcot, maybe Islands of Adventure. Haven’t decided on that. Islands is a guaranteed winner, but I haven’t been to Epcot since that last trip either. Point is, I will be doing fun things this trip, and I am eager to go to MK so long as the west side still works.

But I dunno. I guess I’m worried it’s all going to look faded, maybe run down, with angry people and litter. Like it’s just a big money siphon for the company that isn’t being maintained. I’ve been looking for trip reports that have details on the state of the park.

I find Big Thunder Mountain to be much better at Disneyland IMHO.
I think Big Thunder Mountain might be down for refurbishment in September 2024. Something to keep in mind.
https://www.wdwmagic.com/attraction...ad-at-disney-world-set-for-major-overhaul.htm

mergatroid

But I dunno. I guess I’m worried it’s all going to look faded, maybe run down, with angry people and litter. Like it’s just a big money siphon for the company that isn’t being maintained. I’ve been looking for trip reports that have details on the state of the park.
We have friends who started visiting with us about 4 years ago for the first time. They're blown away with the cleanliness of the place, the theming, the 'magical' feeling they get along with what they think are great attractions. The way you see stuff on here you'd think there were people literally physically fighting everyday, that there was litter all over the floor and worn out paintwork all over the place.

I've been visiting for nearly 50 years now and still love going. Every year when I go, I go with trepidation after reading on here how terrible it now looks and every year I'm pleasantly surprised that what I read doesn't match what I see. Somebody has already on this very thread complained about lightbulbs being out. Earlier this year I found a video about the Magic Kingdom from the early 70's which I posted showing a load of lightbulbs not working on Main Street from a time we hear "When everything was perfect back in the day" when the reality was that it wasn't.

Screenshot 2024-03-10 162741.png

If you're determined to find fault then I'm sure you will, just as you would if you went with that attitude when it first opened. When the MK first opened it had no mountains. No Space Mountain, no Splash Mountain and no Big Thunder Mountain, queues were long and lightbulbs weren't always replaced as you can see above. It took several years for new big attractions to be added and yet now we read folks expecting new rides opening seemingly every year like they seem to think happened 'back in the day'.

For those who go regularly over a period of time we do get jaded to certain things. I think sometimes we forget this and as such think and expect Disney to replace those things that we've outgrown forgetting that we may have loved them once too, just as new guests now do. We spend less time in the parks because we ride less things now as we might not think the reward for the queue time warrants doing everything, many new guests don't feel that way and quite happily spend full days in every park.

The prices are way up, well beyond the inflation rate and I'm not arguing differently. I don't like the cut backs on entertainment, I've mentioned that numerous times. I've posted numerous times how I hate Genie+ and I'm proud to say that I've never used it or paid a penny to ride attractions I've already paid to ride from my expensive admission cost. I'm not a 'pixie duster' but at the same time there's still a lot of great things at Disney World I love to do. I suppose the question of whether you'll be disappointed by the MK depends on you and what you think is 'acceptable' and what your attitude is? That's a personal thing that only you can decide, however in my humble opinion you should go and I genuinely think you'll enjoy it.

TrainsOfDisney

I feel like the biggest issue that is most noticeable for first time visitors is the crowds and the way WDW handles them. While Disney Parks have always been crowded, the MK especially has suffered the most.

An example is Casey’s Corner - that place is so crowded and always has long lines. Why? It’s the only counter service nearby! When MK opened the bakery and Tomorrowland terrace were a stones throw away. Similarly at Disneyland Coke Corner doesn’t get over crowded because Jolly Holiday Bakery, Plaza Inn, and Corn Dogs are right next door.

Cutting entertainment, closing shops and restaurants causes that over crowded feel at MK.

Other issues are on a scale - last time I was at MK I thought many of the attractions looked good - I haven’t seen too much that was truly “bad show” other than splash shortly before it closed.

DW Aficionado

Let's face it, MK isn't what it used to be. Getting rid of Splash Mountain is a bummer. Getting rid of the Bakery for Starbucks is a bummer. Getting rid of the parade in the evening is a bummer. Changing the pricing structure of the Beauty and the Beast restaurant is a bummer (back to Cosmic Rays). Getting rid of Wishes is a bummer. Making guests lose that experience by directing guests out at firework time past the dumpsters and pick-up trucks, just sucks !!!

Honestly, what are they trying to do?

Oh, and also, why is the Big Top Souvenir tent closed most of the time !!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom