World Showcase Architecture

imagineerfan

Original Poster
When I was in Italy two weeks ago, I noticed that Disney created the Italian Pavilion to model San Marco square in Venice. Are any of the other pavilions in World Showcase modeled after real landmarks in that country?

BalooChicago

It's important to note that it is "modelled after" and not a replica... France has the Eiffel Tower as well.

I miss Venice, did you get to Murano?

Maria

Originally posted by imagineerfan
When I was in Italy two weeks ago, I noticed that Disney created the Italian Pavilion to model San Marco square in Venice. Are any of the other pavilions in World Showcase modeled after real landmarks in that country?

Yes, they are.

Did you also notice that it´s a replica (not exact, of course) of Saint Marc Square, but the buildings are in the opposite sides as the original is?

For intance, the Duce´s Palace is originally on the right, but in Epcot, it´s on the left, facing the pavillion. I was told during training that the Imagineers had a slide of the place to copy but they put it wrong when they projected it, and although they did notice, they decided to leave it like that and make it their special "signature". ;)

SirNim

Norway has stave shurches, Canada has the hotel modeled slighly after the Chateau Laurier and Chateau Frontenac in Ottawa and Quebec City, respectively... :D

Maria

The pyramid in Mexico is modeled after the one in the Mayan city of Chichen Itza, and of course, the ride has many tourist attractions in Mexico represented there. The interior of the pavillion resembles a plaza in a colonial city.

cuteypatooty78

Originally posted by Maria
The pyramid in Mexico is modeled after the one in the Mayan city of Chichen Itza, and of course, the ride has many tourist attractions in Mexico represented there. The interior of the pavillion resembles a plaza in a colonial city.

Don't like the food there but the interior of the pavillion is so cool looking! I love how it actually feels like your outside and you can even see lightning in the background and feel the wind. Just wondering, is the distant lightning effect still there? I looked for it but never saw it.:)

imagineerfan

Original Poster
Baloochicago- "I miss Venice, did you get to Murano?"

No unfortunetly I didn't go to Murano. I miss Venice as well, the beautiful mosaics of St. Mark's Cathedral and the comical Gandoliers.

Maria

Originally posted by imagineerfan
No unfortunetly I didn't go to Murano. I miss Venice as well, the beautiful mosaics of St. Mark's Cathedral and the comical Gandoliers.

Imagineerfan,
You can save the trouble of copying and pasting or writing yourself what someone else wrote, by clicking on the "quote" button on the bottom right side of that person´s post. :animwink:

imagineerfan

Original Poster
Imagineerfan,
You can save the trouble of copying and pasting or writing yourself what someone else wrote, by clicking on the "quote" button on the bottom right side of that person´s post. :animwink:

Thanks! I was wondering how to do that. :D

Bagheera

The pyramid in Mexico is modeled after the one in the Mayan city of Chichen Itza

Man, I'm just glad that it's easier to climb than Chichen Itza. I hated those steep, narrow steps! With my moderate fear of heights, I actually kissed the ground when I got back down to the bottom! (And I did hold onto that chain for dear life during my ascent!) Still glad I made the climb, though. The whole site was amazing.

Maria

Back to the topic, the UK Pavillion also resembles the construction style in each of the countries that form the United Kingdom.

The French Pavillion also has the little Champs Elysees well seen in one of DisneyCp2000´s pics... hehe... :D

The Japan Pavillion also has that gate and the temple but I can´t remember their names! :brick: :brick:

The German Pavillion also has the typical construction, the clock there also exists somewhere and the statue of Saint George as well as the statues on the top of the store (there are three, but should be four Saints in reality).

Jeez... I wish I could remember all the details of my training in WSC! :brick:

Maria

Originally posted by Bagheera
Man, I'm just glad that it's easier to climb than Chichen Itza. I hated those steep, narrow steps! With my moderate fear of heights, I actually kissed the ground when I got back down to the bottom! (And I did hold onto that chain for dear life during my ascent!) Still glad I made the climb, though. The whole site was amazing.

You´ve been around here! Cool! Do you have any pics?
Check this link for pics

And my very own pictures!--> http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11158&perpage=15&pagenumber=22

Bagheera

I'd have to go digging for pics. It was back in Dec '84-Jan '85. We were staying in Cancun at the Camino Real (before everything on the whole peninsula was destroyed in the hurricane.) I'm sure they're around somewhere, but it'll probably take a while to find them in that huuuuge pile o' stuff. Great pics from you and Cliff! Love that outfit you're wearing! :)

Pippa

Yes its true that the UK pavillion is in the style of our architecture, but we don't have many red phone boxes left and the mini "hyde park" where the Biritsh Invasion play is nothing like it!!!!! Hyde Park is massive and has a lot of grass, the disney version has no grass!!!

ruca

I've heard that one of the buildings in teh UK is supposed to be modelled after Ann Hathaway's (SWhakespeare's wife) cottage.

Pippa

Sorry for the VERY slow reply! Yes Anne Hathaways cottage is spot on, as are the Beatle band and the pub.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom