Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Tampa Bay Rays

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Texas Rangers

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DiPSU224

If the Texas Rangers win the series, the real loser would be Cliff Lee. Leaving Tex for Philly because he wanted a team that could "win it all". Sweet, sweet irony if he's sitting at home watching the team he left...win it all.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Cliff Lee ever left Texas because he didn't have faith that they could "win it all". From interviews I've read, he mentioned several times how much he and his family loved their time in this city, and loved the passion of the fans and we the way we LOVE him back. From the second this guy arrived in Philly in 2009 the city adored him...his departure in 2010 was a punch in the gut for most Phils fans. Did he have an excellent chance to win big by coming back? Absolutely. But, like most things in life, a championship was not a guarantee. I feel bad for the guy. One of the many reasons I'm rooting for the Cards to win.

Not meaning to single you out, but that statement hit a bit of a nerve. Yes, I realize I am still bitter about the outcome of this postseason...:lol:

Crockett

Banned
What seemed rather lackluster during the LCS's has turned into a very entertaining matchup for the WS. Despite having some rather boring names enter baseball's Final-4 (Brewers, Tigers), I must admit this WS is anything but dull.
We're guaranteed at least a 6-game series (but hopefully 7) despite what happens from here on. Very nice. :) We've had some really close outcomes, and one mega slugfest with game 3. As someone who isn't a fan of either team...I am enjoying this series a lot more than I thought I would. The first 4 games of a WS haven't seemed this exciting & close since the 2001 neck & neck battle between the DBacks & Yankees. (And not the boring DBacks of today, but the power-filled, Johnson / Schilling DBacks of season's past).

Hopefully this WS will have as close & dramatic of an outcome as that one did.

Crockett

Banned
Wow, just wow.

After watching Game 6 which ended moments ago...wow is all I can really say right now. :eek:

2011 World Series, you have not disappointed in the least bit.

DiPSU224

That was just awesome. This series has been great for the game of baseball.

Something really special about seeing grown men jump around like little boys. Gave me chills. Too bad I'll be working tomorrow night and won't really be able to watch. I'm not ready for baseball to be over yet!

Crockett

Banned
I'm not ready for baseball to be over yet!
Amen! Despite who wins tomorrow, it's sad we only have one more of these games to look forward to. :( What a roller coaster ride this has been! My first thought after the walk-off homer tonight was: "Why can't this be a best out of 9 series?"

Definitely a World Series for the books.

imagineer boy

I was just speechless last night. Wow. This has been truly one of the best World Series in a long time.

And David Freese got his start playing baseball right across the street from me!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
The first 4 games of a WS haven't seemed this exciting & close since the 2001 neck & neck battle between the DBacks & Yankees. (And not the boring DBacks of today, but the power-filled, Johnson / Schilling DBacks of season's past).

Hopefully this WS will have as close & dramatic of an outcome as that one did.

That one nearly killed me. :cry:

Lucky

Original Poster
My favorite game ever. Berkman's been their MVP this season and Freese has been unbelievable in the playoffs.

Crockett

Banned
Even though they're not my favorite team, I gotta say hats-off to the St. Louis Cardinals for a very impressive & deserved World Championship.

Coming from being 10.5 games out of the playoffs in late August, to being one pitch away from losing the WS in Game 6...to winning the whole thing in Game 7...this St. Louis team has won my upmost respect. This was an historical comeback season for the Cardinals, and one we may not see again from any team.

For the World Series as a whole, we couldn't have asked for a more exciting one. I highly doubt any other two teams could have given us the drama & excitement the way Texas & St. Louis did over the past week.

-Had the Brewers or DBacks won the NL pennant to advance to the WS...nobody would have been watching.
-Had the Phillies won the NL pennant to advance to the WS...Texas would have knocked them out in 4 or 5 games tops.

So St. Louis was the perfect come-from-behind candidate to battle a very impressive Texas Rangers ballclub, and give us as fans one hell of a show. Hats off to both teams for a great ride!

This series was a win for baseball.

Lucky

Original Poster
I agree the Rangers had a great year and don't deserve the criticism they're getting now for losing games 6 and 7.

imagineer boy

That was really one heck of a series. Game six will definately go down in history.

I felt a little bad for the Rangers because I do respect their team and their manager is a class act. I wish them luck for next season.

And Tony LaRussa just announced his retirement. Wow, I can barely remember a time when Tony wasn't managing the team.

Lucky

Original Poster
I'm happy Tony could go out on top. I've always had mixed feelings about him as a manager. He didn't have enough patience with young players. He played small ball too often in an era when you needed runs in bunches.

But it's hard to argue with the results. He had a winning record most years & usually made the playoffs, in a mid-sized market with a mid-sized payroll. And you have to go back nearly 70 years to find another Cardinals manager who won 2 World Series.

Crockett

Banned
Talk about going out in style, Tony!

He's not my favorite manager, but I'd be lying if I said part of me isn't happy for the guy & the way he's ending his career. The way the St. Louis fans were chanting his name after winning game 7, after such an historic "rags to riches" season...I can't blame him for leaving on that high note.

Tony deserves a lot of credit for this championship. On paper, the 2011 Cardinal lineup & pitching rotation looked good, but not WS worthy. Yet the team got it together and made it happen with dramatic fashion. I hope to see Tony win Manager of the Year for the way their season went from 10.5 games out of postseason, to winning the whole thing. Very impressive, Mr. LaRussa. People will remember this one for a long time.

What a great memory to end a great career.

Drbob31

not a Cards fan, but glad to see TL go out on top, and glad to see a great, exciting series. The end of the season/postseason was great for baseball this year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom