World of Disney Store change "change" your mind?

Did the refurbishment of the World of Disney store deter you from not shopping there as much?

• Total voters

Ben_since_1971

Overall, I am 'meh' about the changes. I like the openness (things could get really crowded in the old format) although I did like how each room seemed to be a different store (i.e. men's, boys, housewares, etc.).

What gets me is the declining lack of merchandise marketed for folks like me (53 yo male). Been going every year since 1997 and there used to be a constant supply of clothing and accessories that I could appreciate and buy. As the demographics of their marketing seems to be getting younger (and admittedly I am getting older), the biggest selection for me is t-shirts. Yes they sell golf shirts, but these are $90 Nike specials that just have Mickey on them. They used to sell polos with WDW on them.

I don't want this to diverge into a 'pull up my pants grandpa wants to rant' post, as I pretty much have a 'meh' opinion on what Disney has done over the years. I have liked some and hated some. But I also live on the principle of 'de gustibus non est disputandum' so arguments about the changes are moot imo. My one regret is that the souvenirs have taken a definitive slant towards breaking mom and dad's credit line and generic to the resort and not necessarily park driven. But that's me.

WOD? I'll still go. If only to see what new t-shirts they have added.

Bocabear

Overall, I am 'meh' about the changes. I like the openness (things could get really crowded in the old format) although I did like how each room seemed to be a different store (i.e. men's, boys, housewares, etc.).

What gets me is the declining lack of merchandise marketed for folks like me (53 yo male). Been going every year since 1997 and there used to be a constant supply of clothing and accessories that I could appreciate and buy. As the demographics of their marketing seems to be getting younger (and admittedly I am getting older), the biggest selection for me is t-shirts. Yes they sell golf shirts, but these are $90 Nike specials that just have Mickey on them. They used to sell polos with WDW on them.

I don't want this to diverge into a 'pull up my pants grandpa wants to rant' post, as I pretty much have a 'meh' opinion on what Disney has done over the years. I have liked some and hated some. But I also live on the principle of 'de gustibus non est disputandum' so arguments about the changes are moot imo. My one regret is that the souvenirs have taken a definitive slant towards breaking mom and dad's credit line and generic to the resort and not necessarily park driven. But that's me.

WOD? I'll still go. If only to see what new t-shirts they have added.
I agree with you heartily!
I loved the old Men's Store in the old format... I loved that they used to have more varied, better quality and nicer designed merchandise. I remember when Disney Stores featured high quality clothing and housewares... All that seems to have fallen by the wayside and cheaply made generic Disney goods are the current trajectory. It is funny that they are doing this while watching the Harry Potter specific shopping and souvenirs get gobbled up... Shopping can be a lot of fun... Going into a Target inspired store on vacation id not my idea of fun.

ImperfectPixie

I agree with you heartily!
I loved the old Men's Store in the old format... I loved that they used to have more varied, better quality and nicer designed merchandise. I remember when Disney Stores featured high quality clothing and housewares... All that seems to have fallen by the wayside and cheaply made generic Disney goods are the current trajectory. It is funny that they are doing this while watching the Harry Potter specific shopping and souvenirs get gobbled up... Shopping can be a lot of fun... Going into a Target inspired store on vacation id not my idea of fun.
Is it just me, or is it odd that Chapek is a merchandise guy, yet the quality and variety has plummeted? In my mind, someone from merchandising would want more unique and high quality merch...not the opposite.

Bocabear

Is it just me, or is it odd that Chapek is a merchandise guy, yet the quality and variety has plummeted? In my mind, someone from merchandising would want more unique and high quality merch...not the opposite.
EXACTLY...It is baffling...
Memento Mori no doubt outsells the Smuckers Jam or whatever shop was in there before... People want ride and park specific merchandise, and people will pay big dollars for unique quality items... Offer great stuff, charge high prices and the stuff flies off the shelves...

FigmentsFangirl

Quite personally I found iot as "meh, its alright" but the more they reopened it after the refurbs were done its, at least for me, now very confusing of a layout. But I do still like shopping there. I jsut wish they'd bring the BOOKS back, there used to be a island shelf thing, or a corner or wall shelf FILLED with Disney books like Imagineering, Quotable Walt, even some movies and music, etc. If only they didnt get rid of that stuff I'd be happy to shop there.

Also, normal sixzed porgs, the little ones for shoulder porgs are cute, but I miss the plushie porgs

Jon81uk

Quite personally I found iot as "meh, its alright" but the more they reopened it after the refurbs were done its, at least for me, now very confusing of a layout. But I do still like shopping there. I jsut wish they'd bring the BOOKS back, there used to be a island shelf thing, or a corner or wall shelf FILLED with Disney books like Imagineering, Quotable Walt, even some movies and music, etc. If only they didnt get rid of that stuff I'd be happy to shop there.

Also, normal sixzed porgs, the little ones for shoulder porgs are cute, but I miss the plushie porgs

Last time I recall finding a lot of books in the scrap-booking store opposite the Christmas store. I've never seen a huge quantity of books in World of Disney.

Kman101

EXACTLY...It is baffling...
Memento Mori no doubt outsells the Smuckers Jam or whatever shop was in there before... People want ride and park specific merchandise, and people will pay big dollars for unique quality items... Offer great stuff, charge high prices and the stuff flies off the shelves...

THIS!

Sadly, Popcorn buckets and sippers are becoming unique items lol. I'd rather spend $15-$20 on those at this point. Men's clothing and accessories is really bad. I apprecaite some of the more "unisex" stuff though. It's a very very mixed bag.

Admiral01

Premium Member
The store, the resort upgrades (the Caribbean Beach food court has been utterly destroyed), and other aesthetic changes have really left a lot to desire. Disney needs to stop asking guests what aesthetics they want. Disney knows better than that. Guests don’t k ow how to ask for good theming in surveys. Good theming, unique store design, all of that is something Disney knows to do. These places are being so simplified that they are losing their uniqueness.

Phineas

Sorry for the thread bump- This last trip to WDW was my first time seeing the reimagined WoD. And it was sensory overload. It was overwhelming, honestly. Everything is everywhere, there were people bumping into me every 12 seconds...I do miss the old layout with separate, distinct rooms/sections.

I like the idea of the remodel, but I’m not a big fan of the execution.

Jon81uk

Sorry for the thread bump- This last trip to WDW was my first time seeing the reimagined WoD. And it was sensory overload. It was overwhelming, honestly. Everything is everywhere, there were people bumping into me every 12 seconds...I do miss the old layout with separate, distinct rooms/sections.

I like the idea of the remodel, but I’m not a big fan of the execution.

I haven't visited since the changes, but your description reminds me of the old store, sensory overload and too many people.

UNCgolf

I haven't visited since the changes, but your description reminds me of the old store, sensory overload and too many people.

I think the too many people is more overwhelming in the new store because it's all one big giant room. In theory, that seems like it would be an improvement, but it felt like it made things worse to me. The whole place is packed from one end to the other and all you can see everywhere is a mass of people. At least when they were separate rooms, the smaller room being really crowded felt more... normal, I guess?

Last edited:

Phineas

I think the too many people is more overwhelming in the new store because it's all one big giant room...At least when they were separate rooms, the smaller room being really crowded felt more... normal, I guess?
YES. Like-the store was always a crowd magnet, but you could go into a different room/section and see empty spaces and not be shoulder to shoulder with the entire population of Florida. With the walls removed, it’s just everyone everywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom