World of Disney Store change "change" your mind?

Did the refurbishment of the World of Disney store deter you from not shopping there as much?

• Total voters

UNCgolf

It's definitely a failure for me.

The last time I was at Disney, they were in the process of making changes but it was still mostly the old store. Last week, of course, it was the new store, and it was unimpressive. I'm sure it had the same amount of merchandise or maybe even more, but it felt like it had less because it was all in that huge open area. Beyond that, the only thing remotely magical is the fairy at the checkout counters. Otherwise you're just in a huge department store that happens to sell only Disney items.

It actually made me realize a problem in general with Disney merchandising -- they've basically removed the incentive to visit all the different stores in the parks because they all sell the same stuff. You can go to World of Disney and find almost everything you find scattered around the parks, so why bother shopping in the parks? There are a few exceptions with stores themed to specific things, but a lot of the general merchandise stores in Hollywood Studios, Magic Kingdom, etc. were selling the exact same items. I don't buy much at Disney but my GF does, and after the first few days she stopped going in most of the stores because there was nothing new in them.

It's possible that they're making a bigger profit this way because they're producing less items, but I would think they'd prefer to make people spend more time in their stores across the parks, not less.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
IMO, the old store was a nightmare both in its so-called 'whimsy' and layout.

What's there now, IMO, is so much better.

It could stand to have more magical moments, like the drawings that come to life. But, I can browse the store now without becoming dizzy.
I agree with you on the layout. It was easy to get disoriented (for me, at least).
They could've kept some of it's previous charm, though.

The Empress Lilly

Disney is not a supermarket where I go through a shopping list.

Clarity and ease of navigation are not a goal. The goal rather is to browse, get lost, stumble upon unforeseen need-to-haves.

In general the modern hipster industrial style is not a good match for Disney. The 90s/early 00s style, of the erstwhile Disney Store amongst others, bordered on garish and plain ugly, no false nostalgia there, but it was a more natural fit.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney is not a supermarket where I go through a shopping list.

Clarity and ease of navigation are not a goal. The goal rather is to browse, get lost, stumble upon unforeseen need-to-haves.

In general the modern hipster industrial style is not a good match for Disney. The 90s/early 00s style, of the erstwhile Disney Store amongst others, bordered on garish and plain ugly, no false nostalgia there, but it was a more natural fit.

Disney isn't meant to be a jungle either where moving forward is difficult to near impossible.

disneygeek90

I avoid the World of Disney store as much as possible. Not because of the remodel, which I think looks nice and has an improved layout, but because it’s always insanely cramped, crowded, chaotic and loud.

UNCgolf

I avoid the World of Disney store as much as possible. Not because of the remodel, which I think looks nice and has an improved layout, but because it’s always insanely cramped, crowded, chaotic and loud.

I think the openness makes that worse -- not that it wasn't cramped before, but at least people were separated into different rooms rather than all being smushed together in one huge open space. That's not necessarily better from a design standpoint, but it wasn't as loud.

Regardless, if you're going to the parks, there's really no reason to go into World of Disney anymore. You can go into the shops on Main Street USA (or Hollywood/Sunset Boulevard, etc.) and find just about everything that's in World of Disney. It made more sense to go there when the shops in the parks had more specialized/unique items and World of Disney was a place to go for your standard Disney merchandise.

I suppose you could just shop at World of Disney and then ignore all the shops in the parks, though.

ncc1701a

I suppose you could just shop at World of Disney and then ignore all the shops in the parks, though.
That is pretty much what we did on our trip last November. We did check out some of the more specialized stores ( World Showcase, Main Street Jewelry, & a few others). But otherwise we didn't do much time at the stores in the parks.

Disneyson

I'm very impressed with the rotating "weenies" in the center of the store, with the lighting, projection, and decor packages that (to me) really transform an area. It really does look like magic is bursting out of a painting in a very bland (mysterious is the intention?) warehouse. The Frozen II one they have up right now is pretty cool to me. While it's not very "Magic Kingdom", it's VERY easy to find merch that suits different tastes, and IMHO easier to find unique merch that you might not have been specifically looking for. I also really like the new "cashier show" much more than I like the "Be Our Guest" show. It reminds me of the original Animator's Palette on the DCL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom