World Drive North Stormwater Facility

Kevin_W

just call it a day and build a garage (or two) and make it so much easier to manage trains, traffic flow, and space.

I can't imagine a garage in a place like Disney where there are a lot of people leaving at the same time (after fireworks/park close). It woudl take hours to get out of there. It's also much more expensive per spot.

halltd

Add me to the list of being sad that the parking lots will now just be acres of uninterrupted asphalt. I always loved that the lots seemed like smaller rooms. I assumed they did that on purpose, so now it seems like they’re just getting lazy. Sigh.

mm121

Surprised no one has complainted about the Mickey shaped pond going away.
It is too bad they aren't making the new bigger one Mickey shaped

But sadly Disney of today looks mostly at cost and they aren't going to pay extra for something that most wont see.

A big Mickey head pond in the middle of the lot were the wetlands are would have been cool then put the expanded parking on the old speedway area.

winstongator

Historically, when DHS lots filled up on busy days like the old Star Wars Weekends, the overflow went over to Epcot and they bused folks over. Since then, they've dramatically expanded the DHS parking lot which will surely change things. To be honest they are more likely to just turn people away at the exit ramp from Osceola Parkway or Victory Way because the DHS lot and the park are at capacity and just send them to another park. They do the same thing for MK on crazy busy holiday seasons when it reaches capacity. They'll likely have temporary signboards on the streets to reroute guests to other parks if they are indeed filled up. It will be interesting to watch that whole pattern play out over the fall.
Imagine if they had another way to get people from Epcot to DHS...it's out the back, I know.

FullSailDan

I can't imagine a garage in a place like Disney where there are a lot of people leaving at the same time (after fireworks/park close). It woudl take hours to get out of there. It's also much more expensive per spot.

I can, the current transportation model already staggers arrivals to the parking lot. There aren't any lights or payment booths for people to deal with so the garages shouldn't be getting backed up. The transportation flow around the property is actually really well designed. Their neighbors to the north (USO) has multiple garages and even when all events end at the same time, it's relatively calm to exit.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
It's a new Water Park!!
The prototype "Remy's Sewers of Paris" ride!

Glad to see Dieny is so concerned with being a green company - NOT by chopping down more tree areas instead of putting up parking ramps...
Clearly, that greenspace in the middle of the parking lot has absorbed all the plastic straws and bags that it can hold...

I can’t believe they are removing the Mickey shaped pond! Not renewing!

I can be a team player 😉
That Mickey-shaped pond didn't go in until the racetrack did, so no worries -- Walt wouldn't mind.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
It is too bad they aren't making the new bigger one Mickey shaped

But sadly Disney of today looks mostly at cost and they aren't going to pay extra for something that most wont see.

A big Mickey head pond in the middle of the lot were the wetlands are would have been cool then put the expanded parking on the old speedway area.

When they make a change like this, they are required by law to replace the same water storage capacity they are covering over as part of the project plus additional capacity for the new impervious surface area. As they cover those current canals and sinkhole areas with asphalt, there are laws that require a minimum size of the runoff retention ponds that must be built to absorb that runoff. This sort of thing has nothing to do with Disney being cheap, they must comply with the laws about water retention when building anything just like everyone else. When you take water retention capacity away by filing in the canals and sinkhole area, it MUST be replaced as part of the project or the permits for construction will not be approved. Given how much additional impervious surface they are adding it's clear they needed every bit of space left there and trying to create the Mickey shape would not be large enough to meet the requirements. I get that many here like the narrative about Disney being cheap but they are still required to comply with the law. If you've ever been in Florida when we have a hurricane, these retention ponds are absolutely vital to prevent massive flooding which is why they are required everywhere, not just on Disney property.

tl77

That's old news. It was in the plans with the water permits for the MK1 and MK2 projects (Theater [RIP] and TRON). It was completed a while ago. But, it is new as in not there last year.

It's an expanded, nicer cast parking lot and storage lot.
Doesn't really answers my question, there's a D23 this year maybe some expansion to MK yet to come?

tl77

"This facility will also provide treatment for a proposed parking expansion within the Magic Kingdom Guest Parking Lot. That expansion is a part of this permit and will remove an 11.4 acre wetland and replace that same area with a paved parking surface."

Looks like they may be filling in the forested area in the middle of the parking lot.
View attachment 368310
Are they also relocating the tram rout at the moment? seems odd they would fill in that one ditch in the lot at the top left, but there will still be plenty of trees along the existing ditches for anyone morning the loss of trees

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
and you know how? I meant someone who knows something besides drawing on google maps which you didn't even know were updated until yesterday when I posted it

This area has always been cast parking, they just paved it. It way probably partially related to the parking that would have been lost due to the Main Street Theater and was likely already in the pipeline when that project was canceled but the decided to continue with the project anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom