World Drive North Stormwater Facility

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
A South Florida Water Management permit was filed today for the creation of a storm water retention pond sound of the MK parking lot. According to the permit this is being done to support a further expansion of the MK parking lot, and for World Drive North Phases 2 and 3 (I'll post more about this in the appropriate thread). This will mean the loss of the Mickey shaped pond that is currently in that area.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
"This facility will also provide treatment for a proposed parking expansion within the Magic Kingdom Guest Parking Lot. That expansion is a part of this permit and will remove an 11.4 acre wetland and replace that same area with a paved parking surface."

Looks like they may be filling in the forested area in the middle of the parking lot.

Nubs70

More gate and parking revenue with increased park saturation or made for easier transition on 2 park sell/day model?

donsullivan

Premium Member
"This facility will also provide treatment for a proposed parking expansion within the Magic Kingdom Guest Parking Lot. That expansion is a part of this permit and will remove an 11.4 acre wetland and replace that same area with a paved parking surface."

Looks like they may be filling in the forested area in the middle of the parking lot.
View attachment 368310

I thought the forested area in the middle was a result of a sinkhole that opened up when they were building the parking lot? Not that it can't be filled in, but everything I've been told suggested that is why it's there.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Could this all so be back up parking for star wars, in August “

Historically, when DHS lots filled up on busy days like the old Star Wars Weekends, the overflow went over to Epcot and they bused folks over. Since then, they've dramatically expanded the DHS parking lot which will surely change things. To be honest they are more likely to just turn people away at the exit ramp from Osceola Parkway or Victory Way because the DHS lot and the park are at capacity and just send them to another park. They do the same thing for MK on crazy busy holiday seasons when it reaches capacity. They'll likely have temporary signboards on the streets to reroute guests to other parks if they are indeed filled up. It will be interesting to watch that whole pattern play out over the fall.

Tom Morrow

Not a fan of removing all the tree features from the centers of the parking lots. They stopped the lots from feeling too much like an apocalyptic wasteland and gave you a visual frame of reference for where you parked your car. They're already gone from DHS. DAK never had them. As of now, Epcot's remains.

tl77

I other parking lot news, just noticed on Google Map's, there's a huge new parking lot just north of where the Tron coaster will be. I'm assuming it's employee parking, but could this be a sign that the employee lots inside the berm of MK could be going away? The "on hold" Main Street Theater would take over a large employee lot between Tony's and The Tomorrowland Terrace/Monster's Inc Laugh Floor buildings

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I other parking lot news, just noticed on Google Map's, there's a huge new parking lot just north of where the Tron coaster will be. I'm assuming it's employee parking, but could this be a sign that the employee lots inside the berm of MK could be going away? The "on hold" Main Street Theater would take over a large employee lot between Tony's and The Tomorrowland Terrace/Monster's Inc Laugh Floor buildings
View attachment 368394

That's old news. It was in the plans with the water permits for the MK1 and MK2 projects (Theater [RIP] and TRON). It was completed a while ago. But, it is new as in not there last year.

It's an expanded, nicer cast parking lot and storage lot.

deeevo

Not a fan of removing all the tree features from the centers of the parking lots. They stopped the lots from feeling too much like an apocalyptic wasteland and gave you a visual frame of reference for where you parked your car. They're already gone from DHS. DAK never had them. As of now, Epcot's remains.
Yep.. there from day one. Not a fan

WDWobserver

View attachment 368310
Glad to see Dieny is so concerned with being a green company - NOT by chopping down more tree areas instead of putting up parking ramps...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom