working out for Disney

HouCuseChickie

Congratulations to her! That's fantastic! That's a tough decision, though, with so many choices. How much in the lead is her top choice?

Her top choice is the one that didn't fully accept her. The alternative they offered isn't suitable for K's goals. She's really hurt by it and even more angry that the bulk of the kids that got in (after the ones that were auto-admitted due to the state's mandates) were done by a lottery system. So, we spent several exhausting hours whittling down choices. We're now down to three. One of those three is just starting to send out their merit aid offers. If it's a decent offer, they'll still be in the running. If not, it'll be down to two. It's hard to say which is in the lead. One is really appealing due to the costs and the campus, the other two are appealing due to program ratings and campuses. So, we'll see.

Lilofan

Her top choice is the one that didn't fully accept her. The alternative they offered isn't suitable for K's goals. She's really hurt by it and even more angry that the bulk of the kids that got in (after the ones that were auto-admitted due to the state's mandates) were done by a lottery system. So, we spent several exhausting hours whittling down choices. We're now down to three. One of those three is just starting to send out their merit aid offers. If it's a decent offer, they'll still be in the running. If not, it'll be down to two. It's hard to say which is in the lead. One is really appealing due to the costs and the campus, the other two are appealing due to program ratings and campuses. So, we'll see.
Yes that's true. Not always the more qualified applicants get admitted. Schools have certain quotas groups to admit every year including scholarship athletes , children of alumni , big donors , etc.

HouCuseChickie

14? I applied to six and thought that was a lot! 😅

I technically applied to six, but I recall the FL state application at the time allowed you to apply to something like four or six schools for one application fee. With that, I technically applied to something like 10 or 12. While I know many kids who haven't followed this and only applied to a couple of schools, the advice is to apply to as many as 25 due to the following factors...

1. Highly competitive schools have too many qualified applicants and are resorting to lottery systems for admissions.
2. State schools with reputations of giving good merit-based aid can be inconsistent. That extra handful of applications to a few other state schools could result in a better offer than sticking with a smaller pool.
3. Schools are looking at applicants and rejecting some overqualified kids because they don't want to offer a spot to someone who is probably just applying as a safety. Counselors advise scheduling official visits, social media following, and materials requests to help overqualified applicants look more serious to less selective schools.

I was just happy she started getting acceptances right away because it kept her from insisting on 25 applications.

HouCuseChickie

Yes that's true. Not always the more qualified applicants get admitted. Schools have certain quotas groups to admit every year including scholarship athletes , children of alumni , big donors , etc.

That's added to her frustrations. She has a couple of classmates that have been admitted to schools because of generous donorship from their parents. As a parent of an athlete hoping to play college ball, we've also seen a lot of student athletes with lesser academic qualifications receive merit-based aid to balance out their offers. The children of alumni factor doesn't seem to carry the same kind of weight as it used to. Over the last year, I have seen quite a few parents ranting and raving because their highly qualified children were rejected. That being said, I think K got into my parents' alma mater in part due to the family connection.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
That's added to her frustrations. She has a couple of classmates that have been admitted to schools because of generous donorship from their parents. As a parent of an athlete hoping to play college ball, we've also seen a lot of student athletes with lesser academic qualifications receive merit-based aid to balance out their offers. The children of alumni factor doesn't seem to carry the same kind of weight as it used to. Over the last year, I have seen quite a few parents ranting and raving because their highly qualified children were rejected. That being said, I think K got into my parents' alma mater in part due to the family connection.
Yeah, it has been over ten years since I was applying to schools, so the advice has probably changed in that time. At the time, we were only told to apply to schools where we were considering actually going and put effort into showing we were interested. So I was at a high number applying to six schools; most kids applied to three or four.

Maryland, and this area in particular, is also a hotbed for colleges. There are so many in commuting distance from where I live. I only applied to two out of state schools. I ended up at a small private college that gave me a huge scholarship, and I lived at home and commuted.

HouCuseChickie

Yeah, it has been over ten years since I was applying to schools, so the advice has probably changed in that time. At the time, we were only told to apply to schools where we were considering actually going and put effort into showing we were interested. So I was at a high number applying to six schools; most kids applied to three or four.

Maryland, and this area in particular, is also a hotbed for colleges. There are so many in commuting distance from where I live. I only applied to two out of state schools. I ended up at a small private college that gave me a huge scholarship, and I lived at home and commuted.

I know of people that still applied using that logic and it was effective for them. We knew her #1 was a long shot and she wasn't too keen on many of the other in-state or nearby options...so we branched out. We still added in a couple of true safeties just to be safe. With the variation in merit awards, it just seemed to make sense to add in extra schools of interest since a sizeable award could be a deciding factor. We were moving from NJ to FL eons ago when I was applying, so I know we focused on both areas of the country in case I changed my mind about school in FL. Oh well... we'll see how this all works out.

Lilofan

In Division 1 schools the big powerhouses in sports take care of their student athletes. Separate dining halls with better food, easier courseload, student tutors to help athletes maintain eligibility , State of art athletic facilities . Its a grind that they go through. One local D1 swimmer typical day was full - 6am-730 swim, breakfast , class 9-12 , lunch, lift and swim 3pm-6, dinner then rest/study. At Harvard the D1 student athletes get a free ride disguised as " grant aid " since Ivy League doesn't offer athletic scholarships. Their daily grind is varied as daily practices are in early morning workouts , classes , afternoon practices then labs, classes even at night at times.
FYI- did you know D1 college baseball players on full scholarship devote 42 hours a week to baseball ? That's approx 6 hours of practice a day, not much time for classes and or studying.

Last edited:

Songbird76

Aw, that's really bad luck that the one she really wanted isn't going to work out. And especially with a lottery system. That just seems like a cop out to me. Like they can't be bothered to do the work of looking at the students individually to decide who deserves it most. At least if the people who got in had better grades and test scores than you, you can understand that they deserve to go. It's a bummer not to make the cut, but it's worse when you know that you worked harder to get there than someone who DID make it in. Hopefully she'll end up loving wherever she goes. I'm sure there are a lot of great schools in the bunch...there's bound to be one that fits.

Songbird76

It's been a while since I was applying, but I think I actually only applied for one. The University of Wyoming requires any Wyoming student who has a GPA above like a 2.0 to be admitted, so they couldn't turn me down. And also, they offered the top 2 students in each school a tuition and fees scholarship each year, and I was #2 in my class, so I got one of them and I couldn't turn that down. So I don't think I even bothered to apply anywhere else. I had wanted to go to Black Hills State in South Dakota, but they had more expensive tuition and no financial aid for out of staters. I couldn't afford to go there. So I don't think I actually applied there.

Sans Souci

Good morning
Checking with a full body cardio circuit type workout. I am sore from yesterday's workout, mostly my lower back but also my arms. So, I am just putting heat on it and doing some gentle stretches throughout the day. I just don't feel like going out for a walk. I am still moving around cleaning, but that is the extent of my activity today. lol

I hope everyone has a good day. :)

HouCuseChickie

In Division 1 schools the big powerhouses in sports take care of their student athletes. Separate dining halls with better food, easier courseload, student tutors to help athletes maintain eligibility , State of art athletic facilities . Its a grind that they go through. One local D1 swimmer typical day was full - 6am-730 swim, breakfast , class 9-12 , lunch, lift and swim 3pm-6, dinner then rest/study. At Harvard the D1 student athletes get a free ride disguised as " grant aid " since Ivy League doesn't offer athletic scholarships. Their daily grind is varied as daily practices are in early morning workouts , classes , afternoon practices then labs, classes even at night at times.
FYI- did you know D1 college baseball players on full scholarship devote 42 hours a week to baseball ? That's approx 6 hours of practice a day, not much time for classes and or studying.

D1 schools in power 5 conferences often have more they can offer to student athletes than D1 mid majors since they generally see more sports/alumni funding. Some also hinges on the sport. Head count sports that have the ability to offer full athletic scholarships (football, men's and women's basketball, women's gymnastics, women's tennis, and women's volleyball) also seem to get a lot more perks than equivalency sports (everything else) where they have to divvy up a set dollar figure for athletic scholarship funds and use merit/grants for the rest. This is where having a kid whose got great grades and test scores really becomes appealing for recruitment. DIII schools function a lot like the Ivies when it comes to financial support. They're not allowed athletic scholarships and tend to wrap aid into grants. I will say that from my college days, my football and basketball friends got a lot more perks than my friends in other sports. I guess that's because football and basketball make the most money for schools.

The reality is that many student athletes are putting in that kind of work on their sport each week by high school. I was looking back on Sam's fall and her average week involved over 40 hours of softball. You learn to study and get in the schoolwork where you can since travel and missed classes/school days are also part of this equation. Obviously, the school has grade eligibility requirements, but a lot of travel coaches will also hold their athletes to the same standards. While every sport and school will be a bit different, Amanda Scarborough's "day in the life" during her time at Texas A&M is a good example of what a freshman softball player should expect. Of course, that all gets turned on its ear during season when you're traveling all over the place. https://amanda-scarborough.com/a-typical-of-a-college-softball-player-offseason/

HouCuseChickie

Aw, that's really bad luck that the one she really wanted isn't going to work out. And especially with a lottery system. That just seems like a cop out to me. Like they can't be bothered to do the work of looking at the students individually to decide who deserves it most. At least if the people who got in had better grades and test scores than you, you can understand that they deserve to go. It's a bummer not to make the cut, but it's worse when you know that you worked harder to get there than someone who DID make it in. Hopefully she'll end up loving wherever she goes. I'm sure there are a lot of great schools in the bunch...there's bound to be one that fits.

I agree. It bothers me but we have to move on from it. Anticipation of rejection is why I built in various ego boosts to our approach. She got into a couple of comparably ranked programs, she got into another school with an overall ranking right around her top choice, and the merit aid offers are the icing on the cake. So, she knows she's worthy of acceptance and she knows she's good enough to be offered money. So, now we move on to schools that want her and appreciate her for all that she is and can be.

Sans Souci

I agree. It bothers me but we have to move on from it. Anticipation of rejection is why I built in various ego boosts to our approach. She got into a couple of comparably ranked programs, she got into another school with an overall ranking right around her top choice, and the merit aid offers are the icing on the cake. So, she knows she's worthy of acceptance and she knows she's good enough to be offered money. So, now we move on to schools that want her and appreciate her for all that she is and can be.

When is her deadline to make a selection?

Lilofan

When I was in college the RA in my dorm got free housing. Is that an option for her to pursue?

Sans Souci

Hello-

I did this crazy pants leg workout this AM. It is called "German volume training." It is 10 reps for 10 sets of the same exercise. I hope I can walk down the stairs tomorrow or just sit down without pain. :hilarious: I walked to and from my hair appointment today, so I got some fresh air and sunshine.

I made this recipe from a Korean cookbook I bought. It was written by a husband and wife who have a Youtube channel. Anyway, it was called sweet and crunchy tofu, but I didn't feel like frying anything in batches, so I just used air fryer. I doubled the recipe so I could have additional dinners for myself. It was really good. I have been buying shelf-stable Korean ingredients from Amazon, then my son reminded me there is an H-Mart down the street. So, I will have to go and see what they charge, plus, they have a lot of Korean skin care products. :p

Lilofan

Hello-

I did this crazy pants leg workout this AM. It is called "German volume training." It is 10 reps for 10 sets of the same exercise. I hope I can walk down the stairs tomorrow or just sit down without pain. :hilarious: I walked to and from my hair appointment today, so I got some fresh air and sunshine.

I made this recipe from a Korean cookbook I bought. It was written by a husband and wife who have a Youtube channel. Anyway, it was called sweet and crunchy tofu, but I didn't feel like frying anything in batches, so I just used air fryer. I doubled the recipe so I could have additional dinners for myself. It was really good. I have been buying shelf-stable Korean ingredients from Amazon, then my son reminded me there is an H-Mart down the street. So, I will have to go and see what they charge, plus, they have a lot of Korean skin care products. :p
H Mart is Korean supermarket heaven for the cities and states lucky enough to have a location.

Sans Souci

H Mart is Korean supermarket heaven for the cities and states lucky enough to have a location.

I haven't been yet. I keep forgetting it's there, it is tucked back behind a strip mall and you can't see it from the street. This one has a restaurant in it, too. I have heard only good things about it, plus they have produce (that you can't get at regular supermarkets) from Korea and you can't get that from Amazon.

Sans Souci

Good morning.

I did a light tricep/bicep/shoulder/jump rope workout this AM. It was just OK, but it is done for the day. ✅

My husband has to go to a suburb outside of Tampa in a few weeks and he asked me if I want to tag along. I need to buy my plane tickets soon if I want to go with him. I am not sure I want to go, it is a suburb of Tampa and I can't find anything of interest to do. I would like some sunshine and maybe just sit by a pool, but I can't do that everyday all day, I would go mad. lol. I don't know, I think I might just stay put. My brother lives 2 hours south and was excited to meet half way, but last night he texted me and said his truck won't make it half-way. He wants my husband and me to drive two hours after my husband gets off work, eat dinner at his house and then drive back two hours that night. That's not happening. This always happens when I try to meet up with him. He says he will meet half-way, then changes his mind. One time I sent him a photo from MK and in all seriousness asked why didn't we tell him we were coming down. :rolleyes:

Songbird76

Good morning.

I did a light tricep/bicep/shoulder/jump rope workout this AM. It was just OK, but it is done for the day. ✅

My husband has to go to a suburb outside of Tampa in a few weeks and he asked me if I want to tag along. I need to buy my plane tickets soon if I want to go with him. I am not sure I want to go, it is a suburb of Tampa and I can't find anything of interest to do. I would like some sunshine and maybe just sit by a pool, but I can't do that everyday all day, I would go mad. lol. I don't know, I think I might just stay put. My brother lives 2 hours south and was excited to meet half way, but last night he texted me and said his truck won't make it half-way. He wants my husband and me to drive two hours after my husband gets off work, eat dinner at his house and then drive back two hours that night. That's not happening. This always happens when I try to meet up with him. He says he will meet half-way, then changes his mind. One time I sent him a photo from MK and in all seriousness asked why didn't we tell him we were coming down. :rolleyes:
Must be a brother thing. My brother won't make any effort, either. It has to come from me or it won't happen.

I don't think I've ever been to Tampa, but isn't there a museum, or something there? Or do you like to read? Could you just go and get your sunshine and read and relax?

Figgy1

Original Poster
Dh came home yesterday saying I bet I got more steps in than you did because he took a walk at lunch time. How cute lol
Today time with LS, Adrienne and I got out as it wasn't too horrid and everything was dry. Tomorrow he may get in more steps as it's grocery and yoga day with Yoga Works

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom