working out for Disney

Songbird76

Me too. I'm definitely not functioning normally due to Covid matters, but after doing some weight gain mapping, I also see a pattern with work. Whenever work gets bad, my weight goes up and I have health issues. I hope that's all this is, but I still need to find a solution to the stress reaction if that's it, because work is still a big thing and I can't keep playing this game of my job being the big culprit for poor health issues. Our entire team feels this way, but none of us feel like there's anything we can do that will help. It's the nature of the business.

We're coming down from our summer surge. The media is reporting that our state is starting to spike again, but the local and overall state numbers don't reflect that and our school board recently blasted local officials for failing to differentiate between new cases vs. backlogs and ultimately trying to push the city into lockdown based on faulty data. That's not to say that the threat still isn't out there, but it turns out that the huge daily numbers they'd been reporting for our area were including 30+ day backlogs and only about 20% of those cases (within the last month or so) were current within the week of reporting. This was what prompted our district to move to 5 days a week in person for all students enrolled for face to face learning. Our governor recently allowed us to go back to 75% capacity at places like restaurants and retail, but bars are still closed and masks are still mandated (although, compliance is declining). I hope things don't get too bad where you are. I think we're all tired of this Covid madness. I know the virus doesn't care, but we all need a break.
Well, they said on the news today that 10% of high school students are sitting at home doing online lessons because of corona and that if things get worse, they'll have to go back to what we were doing last school year, with 100% remote learning. I'd actually prefer that, because I'm in a high risk group and I don't feel like our school is doing a very good job with prevention. They have stupid conflicting rules that are only designed to make it look like they are doing something, but that don't really help.

For example, the kids are not allowed to go back to their lockers in between classes, they have to carry their books with them the whole day to reduce the amount of time they are in the hallways, but kids under 18 aren't required to socially distance, and in the breaks they aren't allowed to go into classrooms so they have 1500 kids packed into the "cafeteria" (no better word for it, but there's no lunch program, so it doesn't really fit) or the auditorium-like space. So, with kids packed into those areas for 15-30 minutes, you think the 30 seconds at their locker is going to be the biggest problem? And they have to schlep big heavy backpacks around all day, which isn't good for their backs. When asked why they didn't go back to the thing like last year where they assigned each class a room and the teachers moved from class to class instead of the students, they gave some bogus answer that basically showed they just didn't want to make the effort.

And kids aren't allowed to come to school if they even have the sniffles, but they are expected to work from home and the school says it's the student's responsibility to let the teachers know they are working from home so they can get the materials and turn in the homework. But E was home all last week and let the teachers know and half the teachers basically told her they couldn't be bothered to do online stuff, so she just had to get the homework off Magister (the app they use for their schedule and homework assignments and grades), but then the teachers would forget to put the homework up, or wouldn't put it up until class was over, so she'd sit there waiting and couldn't do anything until the next class hour, when she needed to be in a teams meeting for another class. And some teachers told her to just ask her classmates what they went over in class, so she did and they said "We talked about the Junior Speaking Contest", but didn't tell her what about that contest or what she needed to do. So she's still behind because the teachers don't want to make the effort for the kids doing remote learning. And they can't take tests from home, but they are only allowed to miss one because they are home. If they miss more than one, they HAVE to come to school to take them, even if they are sick? It makes no sense. It's rules just to have rules, with no real purpose.

Then three of the schools are in the process of merging in the next 5 years, to just 2 schools. So they've created 2 new schools and have divided the programs offered between those 2 schools, and the teachers from the three schools give lessons to the existing students of the 3 schools AND to the new students at the 2 schools. Eventually by the time E graduates, her school won't exist anymore. But for now, her school is the only one that offers the Dual language program and the Technology research and design programs. 60% of the classes in the dual language program she's doing are supposed to be in English. But their music teacher retired at the end of last year, so they hired one from one of the other schools and didn't tell him he needed to do this class in English, and he doesn't have the English qualifications required. Then this year, her class got to choose whether or not to do the technology class that was required the first two years. Only 3 kids chose not to do it, so they get more French, Art, and something else I forget....but when the rest of the class is in O&O (technology) they are doing something different....so they were placed in a different class for one subject, which is supposed to be in English, but they just added those 3 kids to a non-dual language class....so they don't get that one in English either. E is doing O&O, but one of her friends isn't and she said they don't get English it that one subject. It's just all been so messed up and the school hasn't handled it well. I'd rather just go back to the remote learning so that teachers are forced to provide the instruction. But then some of the kids don't do well with the remote learning.

Sorry...rant over.

Sans Souci

Hello-

I'm checking in with an arm and ab workout from a program called "Bikini Body Program," :rolleyes: which I will be calling "BBG" from here on out. I like it because it's four, seven minute circuits with a minute break in between, so it's a pretty quick workout.

In lieu of our Disney cruise, we decided to go to Virginia Beach instead. My husband doesn't feel safe flying right now and Virginia Beach is a five hour drive from our house. I was pleasantly surprised. We stayed at a really nice Marriott-owned boutique hotel. It is nearly a 100 years old and didn't have direct beach access, but it was a quick walk across the street. It also had its own beach club with an outdoor pool, hot tub and bar/grill and beach access.

View from our room. The small building on the left hand side of the screen is the beach club. Those "cottages" are residences of people who live on hotel property.
1D6A75E4-4D58-40EB-952F-ECB2BB46352C.jpeg

The first 2 days were a little sketchy, since there was a hurricane off the coast, so it was really windy and the water was rough. We went to the Norfolk Botanical Gardens, which is a really gorgeous place to stroll around. It had an overlook on Norfolk Int'l Airport, which was a nice surprise. I watched some aircraft take off. It was mostly regional and corporate jets, but it was fun to watch. The next few days consisted of walking up and down the boardwalk, chilling at the beach club and stand up paddle boarding. My sorry butt fell off my board when this cigarette boat left a wake that made me struggle to maintain my balance. :p We had some delicious meals at our hotel restaurants and at the Marriott across the street. We had plans to hike in a near by state park, but my stomach was off one day (hormonal, not contagious). We just sat out in the sun at the beach club instead.

My husband and I enjoyed ourselves so much, we are thinking of canceling our Disney cruise for next September and going back to Virginia Beach with the caveat that we stay at the same hotel and go in September again. (It cost as much as a Disney cruise anyway.) I am sure, like like other beach towns, it's a mad house in the summer months.

I am going to add some photos. I am on my laptop and the photos are on my iPhone.

Indoor pool
497C2536-8E12-4F11-BE65-4952BDEFCF11.jpeg46ECB885-F226-4696-865F-C69871154C99.jpeg
01A73975-14D5-4694-8BAA-62DC5033F204.jpeg

The beach club.
DF31275D-053D-4E78-9352-EBE3960591EF.jpeg

98BFD03F-1870-404A-B341-DE8106474B26.jpeg0D1B7657-C894-4A84-A23D-E3030BA92C92.jpeg

Attachments

• C04E8203-3F78-4F64-8383-03EF0F6C4FFF.jpeg
    C04E8203-3F78-4F64-8383-03EF0F6C4FFF.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Sans Souci

I really need to find some energy so I can get back into some kind of routine. I saw a dr last week for some issues that have been keeping me down. He was concerned about the lab results, so I went in for a couple of CT scans today. Next week, he'll review the scans and do an exploratory procedure. He said it's probably nothing and his line of questioning coupled with some of the meds my other dr put me on for everything with my stress and anxiety have me thinking he's leaning towards a stress based cause for this as well that's partly tied to diet and exercise. Fingers crossed that's all it is, because there's already too much stress. Work is a nightmare, my free time has been drastically cut due to work and timing/location of kid activities/school, and we had some serious issues with the older one's private softball team.

On a funny note...right after they got me set on the table and placed my IV for the dye required with some of my scans, my phone alarm went off to tell me to take my pill. They offered to get me my phone, but I was afraid I'd mess up my IV and position if I was fooling around with trying to turn off the alarm. So, we heard the same Britney Spears song nearly 5x in a row while we finished up my scans.

That sounds stressful. Yikes.How did it go? Did you ever get any resolution for your issues?

Sans Souci

Nice to see you back! I'm glad you got a trip in...I think it's so important that we still take some time to enjoy ourselves even in this wacky time. Who knows how long we'll be living with Covid-19....we have to get away from the stress sometimes.

It was weird going on vacation in the middle of a pandemic. Part of me felt guilty for doing something non-essential, part of me was thinking people need to eat and pay mortgage/rent. Tourism is Virginia Beach's bread and butter. I can't wait until our passports are worth having again. We have a tentative trip visit my MIL in May, so hopefully we'll be in a better place globally.

Sans Souci

Hello-

Checking in with a "leg" day. I really like this app. It's a little more money than I'd like to spend, but I am enjoying it. Plus, I gave up some subscriptions I wasn't so enamored with, so that makes me feel a little better.

I made homemade Mapo Tofu for dinner. It was so delicious. My husband wouldn't stop coughing because it was hot and I felt badly about it. But there are other things to eat if he gets hungry later. :p

I've been bringing my son home every weekend. I typically would not do this, but there are no social activities happening and the gym is closed b/c of COVID. Plus, his room is crazy small. It wouldn't be a big deal if things were normal, but he is in this room for most of the week. So I let him come home. He can work out here and eat better. He said the menu at school is limited. You have to order through Grubhub and then pick up it up when they text you. You also have to eat it in your room. But he said it's stuff like pizza and burgers and while he likes those things, he doesn't like to eat them all the time. I take him to Trader Joe's before I bring him back to buy some fruit, nuts and cheese sticks. This, too, shall pass...

Songbird76

Hello-

Checking in with a "leg" day. I really like this app. It's a little more money than I'd like to spend, but I am enjoying it. Plus, I gave up some subscriptions I wasn't so enamored with, so that makes me feel a little better.

I made homemade Mapo Tofu for dinner. It was so delicious. My husband wouldn't stop coughing because it was hot and I felt badly about it. But there are other things to eat if he gets hungry later. :p

I've been bringing my son home every weekend. I typically would not do this, but there are no social activities happening and the gym is closed b/c of COVID. Plus, his room is crazy small. It wouldn't be a big deal if things were normal, but he is in this room for most of the week. So I let him come home. He can work out here and eat better. He said the menu at school is limited. You have to order through Grubhub and then pick up it up when they text you. You also have to eat it in your room. But he said it's stuff like pizza and burgers and while he likes those things, he doesn't like to eat them all the time. I take him to Trader Joe's before I bring him back to buy some fruit, nuts and cheese sticks. This, too, shall pass...
I suppose there's no way to cook in the dorm, is there? We had a microwave on each floor of our dorm, but that was it. So you could heat up some ramen or a hot pocket, but nothing too adventurous. There was one hall for non-traditional students that had kitchens, and that was it. I never thought about how colleges are doing food...I suppose they can't really have the cafeteria open as they normally do, because you can't distance and there are too many students. Everything has changed....what is the world going to look like on the other end of this pandemic?

Sans Souci

I suppose there's no way to cook in the dorm, is there? We had a microwave on each floor of our dorm, but that was it. So you could heat up some ramen or a hot pocket, but nothing too adventurous. There was one hall for non-traditional students that had kitchens, and that was it. I never thought about how colleges are doing food...I suppose they can't really have the cafeteria open as they normally do, because you can't distance and there are too many students. Everything has changed....what is the world going to look like on the other end of this pandemic?

He rented a microwave/fridge combo. He doesn't eat food that has been cooked in the microwave. He does intermittent fasting and has all of these "food rules." However, I noticed these "rules" to do not extend to having Philly cheesesteaks delivered to the house while he's here. They also don't prohibit him from eating the apple crisp and lemon loaf I made this weekend. :rolleyes: 😂

I wonder what's it's going to be like on the other side of this as well. This whole thing has been a mess and I hope entities/countries actually apply lessons learned and use them.

HouCuseChickie

Hello-

I'm checking in with an arm and ab workout from a program called "Bikini Body Program," :rolleyes: which I will be calling "BBG" from here on out. I like it because it's four, seven minute circuits with a minute break in between, so it's a pretty quick workout.

In lieu of our Disney cruise, we decided to go to Virginia Beach instead. My husband doesn't feel safe flying right now and Virginia Beach is a five hour drive from our house. I was pleasantly surprised. We stayed at a really nice Marriott-owned boutique hotel. It is nearly a 100 years old and didn't have direct beach access, but it was a quick walk across the street. It also had its own beach club with an outdoor pool, hot tub and bar/grill and beach access.

View from our room. The small building on the left hand side of the screen is the beach club. Those "cottages" are residences of people who live on hotel property.
View attachment 501720

The first 2 days were a little sketchy, since there was a hurricane off the coast, so it was really windy and the water was rough. We went to the Norfolk Botanical Gardens, which is a really gorgeous place to stroll around. It had an overlook on Norfolk Int'l Airport, which was a nice surprise. I watched some aircraft take off. It was mostly regional and corporate jets, but it was fun to watch. The next few days consisted of walking up and down the boardwalk, chilling at the beach club and stand up paddle boarding. My sorry butt fell off my board when this cigarette boat left a wake that made me struggle to maintain my balance. :p We had some delicious meals at our hotel restaurants and at the Marriott across the street. We had plans to hike in a near by state park, but my stomach was off one day (hormonal, not contagious). We just sat out in the sun at the beach club instead.

My husband and I enjoyed ourselves so much, we are thinking of canceling our Disney cruise for next September and going back to Virginia Beach with the caveat that we stay at the same hotel and go in September again. (It cost as much as a Disney cruise anyway.) I am sure, like like other beach towns, it's a mad house in the summer months.

I am going to add some photos. I am on my laptop and the photos are on my iPhone.

Indoor pool
View attachment 501721View attachment 501723
View attachment 501724

The beach club.
View attachment 501725

View attachment 501726View attachment 501727

It was weird going on vacation in the middle of a pandemic. Part of me felt guilty for doing something non-essential, part of me was thinking people need to eat and pay mortgage/rent. Tourism is Virginia Beach's bread and butter. I can't wait until our passports are worth having again. We have a tentative trip visit my MIL in May, so hopefully we'll be in a better place globally.

The hotel and beach club are beautiful! I don't blame you for wanting to return. I've only been to Virginia Beach once, but I recall it being a very pretty area.

We had similar guilt with our summer travel, but also justified it in a similar manner. It also is good for the spirit to get away for a bit, even if things aren't quite normal and require more precautions.

Songbird76

He rented a microwave/fridge combo. He doesn't eat food that has been cooked in the microwave. He does intermittent fasting and has all of these "food rules." However, I noticed these "rules" to do not extend to having Philly cheesesteaks delivered to the house while he's here. They also don't prohibit him from eating the apple crisp and lemon loaf I made this weekend. :rolleyes: 😂

I wonder what's it's going to be like on the other side of this as well. This whole thing has been a mess and I hope entities/countries actually apply lessons learned and use them.
Are the "food rules" part of the autism? My son has that as well....not so much rules as he is really picky and things have to be consistent. Like...if the chicken nuggets he likes gets a new recipe, it's not the same....he won't eat them, because they are different. Or things we make that don't have an actual recipe, we just know what we put in and guesstimate on amounts...if it doesn't taste like it did last time, forget it. When he was about a year old, his favorite thing was these potatoes I made. Just chopped potatoes fried with onion and a bit of salt and pepper....super simple, and I always had to make a TON of them because he'd steal them off our plates. We always ate at the coffee table because he hated the high chair and would scream. So we got some kiddie chairs from IKEA for the kids and we sat on the couch. A couldn't even walk by himself yet and he'd hold onto the table and shuffle around to our side, take the potatoes off our plates, and shuffle back around to put them on his own plate....then they were his. He LOVED those potatoes. Then one time he was sick and everything tasted off to him. I couldn't get him to eat anything, so I finally made the potatoes hoping at least he would eat SOMETHING. That was the end of the potatoes. He wouldn't eat them after that. We think he made a false connection between the potatoes and getting sick, like he thought the potatoes are what made him sick, not remembering he was already sick before eating the potatoes. Food is just so tricky!!

Songbird76

The hotel and beach club are beautiful! I don't blame you for wanting to return. I've only been to Virginia Beach once, but I recall it being a very pretty area.

We had similar guilt with our summer travel, but also justified it in a similar manner. It also is good for the spirit to get away for a bit, even if things aren't quite normal and require more precautions.
I'm glad we did our few days in Germany this summer. Germany has placed the Netherlands on Red again, meaning it's a no unnecessary travel area. We aren't allowed into Germany unless we have a good reason for being there. We always fill up our gas tanks there because I work about .5 km from the German border, so when my husband drops me off at work, he'd go gas up where it's about 50 cents cheaper per gallon. And he'd hit a grocery store to get fruit loops for A, since they don't sell them here in the Netherlands. But grocery shopping and gassing up don't count as "good reasons" so we aren't allowed to do that now. In the Summer, our cases were down to like 50 per day nationally....we hit more than 4000 cases yesterday....record high. So no travel for a while.

HouCuseChickie

I'm glad we did our few days in Germany this summer. Germany has placed the Netherlands on Red again, meaning it's a no unnecessary travel area. We aren't allowed into Germany unless we have a good reason for being there. We always fill up our gas tanks there because I work about .5 km from the German border, so when my husband drops me off at work, he'd go gas up where it's about 50 cents cheaper per gallon. And he'd hit a grocery store to get fruit loops for A, since they don't sell them here in the Netherlands. But grocery shopping and gassing up don't count as "good reasons" so we aren't allowed to do that now. In the Summer, our cases were down to like 50 per day nationally....we hit more than 4000 cases yesterday....record high. So no travel for a while.

Wow...that's a huge change in case numbers. It's too bad you still can't cross the border and save some $, but hopefully this spike won't last long. Have they noted any issues with case backlogs potentially driving some of the change? Glad you were at least able to get away for a bit when you could.

Songbird76

Wow...that's a huge change in case numbers. It's too bad you still can't cross the border and save some $, but hopefully this spike won't last long. Have they noted any issues with case backlogs potentially driving some of the change? Glad you were at least able to get away for a bit when you could.
They said that no, this isn't a backlog issue. And we passed 5000 cases again yesterday. It's growing. People are begging for stricter regulations, mask mandates in particular, but the government doesn't want to do that. I'm not sure if it was our Prime Minister or the health minister, or whom, but someone said "You don't need me to do that. If you think masks should be worn, do it yourself!" E's school didn't do a mandate, but "Urgent advice" to wear masks in the hallways. She said the first day, about half the kids were wearing them, but now more than 80% are NOT wearing them. A's school also asked them to, but didn't mandate, and he said there was only one kid who did. I sent a mask with him, but he doesn't like it. I kind of get it with his school....it's all kids with Autism, a lot of them with sensory issues. So I get it, but I wish he'd wear it anyway. He had 5 different teachers yesterday because his teacher is sick, so they had whatever teacher was free that hour covering the classes. And yesterday was only a half day!

It turns out we ARE allowed to cross to Germany to gas up....it's only if you are staying for more than a day that they won't allow it, I guess? I don't understand it, but my husband says yes, we can go get groceries or gas up. But we've been added to Italy's no go list as well. We're not allowed there, and they aren't allowed to come here.

HouCuseChickie

They said that no, this isn't a backlog issue. And we passed 5000 cases again yesterday. It's growing. People are begging for stricter regulations, mask mandates in particular, but the government doesn't want to do that. I'm not sure if it was our Prime Minister or the health minister, or whom, but someone said "You don't need me to do that. If you think masks should be worn, do it yourself!" E's school didn't do a mandate, but "Urgent advice" to wear masks in the hallways. She said the first day, about half the kids were wearing them, but now more than 80% are NOT wearing them. A's school also asked them to, but didn't mandate, and he said there was only one kid who did. I sent a mask with him, but he doesn't like it. I kind of get it with his school....it's all kids with Autism, a lot of them with sensory issues. So I get it, but I wish he'd wear it anyway. He had 5 different teachers yesterday because his teacher is sick, so they had whatever teacher was free that hour covering the classes. And yesterday was only a half day!

It turns out we ARE allowed to cross to Germany to gas up....it's only if you are staying for more than a day that they won't allow it, I guess? I don't understand it, but my husband says yes, we can go get groceries or gas up. But we've been added to Italy's no go list as well. We're not allowed there, and they aren't allowed to come here.

Yeah...I saw the recent big numbers for the Netherlands on Worldometer. I guess it would seem that masks are an issue pretty much anywhere you live. They are still mandatory here, but many places aren't enforcing them, and many people have grown tired of it and just refuse. For our school district, masks are mandatory for anyone 10 or older (and are enforcing it), unless they have some kind of documented condition that would exempt them from the requirement. That's really tough having that many teachers. I get that the regular one is sick, but it would be nice if they had some consistency.

That's great that you can cross into Germany for those things. I see that Italy's numbers are also rising.

HouCuseChickie

Still no working out. I'm still dealing with these sinus issues. I did go back to the dr yesterday. The good news, no cancer or other problems that could be causing my discomfort, but my scans and his camera (really bizarre looking at a live video of your innards 🤣 ), showed a fibroid. He said it's about the size of a golf ball, and while he doesn't think it's any danger to me, it could be the source of these issues as well as a few others. So, I am going to give it the next few months and see how I feel. If I'm still having issues, I could have him put me on meds, or I could talk to my other dr who would be the appropriate one to cover the fibroid and determine if it's treatment or surgery that's needed. Big fun!

Sans Souci

Are the "food rules" part of the autism? My son has that as well....not so much rules as he is really picky and things have to be consistent. Like...if the chicken nuggets he likes gets a new recipe, it's not the same....he won't eat them, because they are different. Or things we make that don't have an actual recipe, we just know what we put in and guesstimate on amounts...if it doesn't taste like it did last time, forget it. When he was about a year old, his favorite thing was these potatoes I made. Just chopped potatoes fried with onion and a bit of salt and pepper....super simple, and I always had to make a TON of them because he'd steal them off our plates. We always ate at the coffee table because he hated the high chair and would scream. So we got some kiddie chairs from IKEA for the kids and we sat on the couch. A couldn't even walk by himself yet and he'd hold onto the table and shuffle around to our side, take the potatoes off our plates, and shuffle back around to put them on his own plate....then they were his. He LOVED those potatoes. Then one time he was sick and everything tasted off to him. I couldn't get him to eat anything, so I finally made the potatoes hoping at least he would eat SOMETHING. That was the end of the potatoes. He wouldn't eat them after that. We think he made a false connection between the potatoes and getting sick, like he thought the potatoes are what made him sick, not remembering he was already sick before eating the potatoes. Food is just so tricky!!

I think it started out like that, but then morphed into eating minimally processed foods (mostly). It's crazy, but before he started eating his way, he had really bad acne. His face has been clear ever since he adopted this way of eating. He eats a lot of fish, fruit and nuts.

That's funny about your son being a potato snaffler! 😂 I am like that when I get stomach junk. I can't eat the last meal I had. I last had a stomach virus 2 years ago and the last thing I ate was chili I made in the Instant Pot. I was so angry, I loved that chili. It was simple to make and was really healthy. I still can't think about eating it and my husband has been dropping some not-so-subtle hints about me making it again.

Sans Souci

Still no working out. I'm still dealing with these sinus issues. I did go back to the dr yesterday. The good news, no cancer or other problems that could be causing my discomfort, but my scans and his camera (really bizarre looking at a live video of your innards 🤣 ), showed a fibroid. He said it's about the size of a golf ball, and while he doesn't think it's any danger to me, it could be the source of these issues as well as a few others. So, I am going to give it the next few months and see how I feel. If I'm still having issues, I could have him put me on meds, or I could talk to my other dr who would be the appropriate one to cover the fibroid and determine if it's treatment or surgery that's needed. Big fun!

Well, that's a relief about not having cancer. I hope it stops giving you grief the next few months. It sounds like a frustrating situation to be in. I wouldn't worry about working out, you have a lot going on right now!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom