working out for Disney

epcotisbest

Speaking of coffee, I almost bought a coffee maker I have been wanting for a long time. The Technivorm Moccamaster is supposed to be the best drip coffee maker there is, and Nordstrom had it on sale.
I could not decide between the copper color and the red one so I asked my wife which color she liked and she about stroked out when I told her the price. "So what is the sale price?" she demanded. "UH, sweetie, that is the sale price."
To maintain domestic tranquility, there is no Moccamaster headed my way. Will have to keep settling for the kcups....although I do enjoy a cup of pour-over ever now and then.

technivorm.jpegTechnivorm-MoccaMaster-Glass-Decanter-Red_grande.jpg

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Waving hi! and hanging in there dh still has to go to work but half if not more are on medical leave due to preexisting conditions so distancing isn't a problem and the place has tons of soap, hand sanitizer, Lysol spray and bleach. Going a bit nuts with the boys home and am mostly concentrating on meditation and yoga for stress. I have the kale market cornered;)

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Speaking of coffee, I almost bought a coffee maker I have been wanting for a long time. The Technivorm Moccamaster is supposed to be the best drip coffee maker there is, and Nordstrom had it on sale.
I could not decide between the copper color and the red one so I asked my wife which color she liked and she about stroked out when I told her the price. "So what is the sale price?" she demanded. "UH, sweetie, that is the sale price."
To maintain domestic tranquility, there is no Moccamaster headed my way. Will have to keep settling for the kcups....although I do enjoy a cup of pour-over ever now and then.

View attachment 457576View attachment 457577
Don't forget to thank her;)

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I got eggs and flour on Saturday. I haven't been back to the supermarket since, so I don't know. I bought an extra bag of flour, because I figured I can easily bake some bread so nobody has to go out for it. I've been trying to find tofu, freaking tofu, of all things and I am coming up empty. Who knew they are people who would hoard tofu? Good grief, I've seen it all now. :hilarious:
We've had no problems getting eggs or tofu at Wegmans. I've heard early morning helps. I haven't seen a flour shortage regular or gf and would gladly bring some to @Songbird76 if I could

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
So I had my first grilling failure of the spring season this evening. One of my favorites is meatloaf and I usually make them moist and tender with lots of flavor. Today I upped the cooking temp from my usual 300 to 350 with the goal of finishing sooner.
That worked but the outside sorta burned when I hit my internal temperature goal of 160. It was a little dry too. I also forgot an airspace between the platesetter and drip pan, so the drippings burned as well. Guess I tried to rush things.
I just trimmed off the burned part and we did salvage the vast majority of it, but this was a fail.
There is plenty left for good old meatloaf sandwiches, maybe we can dice some of it up for tacos or burritos and, knowing me, perhaps a bit for some breakfast hash...yeah, might give that a try.

View attachment 457572View attachment 457573
My boys would call that a success burnt parts and BBQ sauce

Songbird76

How is it different from other coffee makers? What makes it better? I don't drink coffee, and while I have a coffee maker, I don't know the ratios and I always mess it up. We only have it for company who wants coffee and for coffee to put in chocolate cake. It doesn't get used a whole lot.

epcotisbest

How is it different from other coffee makers? What makes it better? I don't drink coffee, and while I have a coffee maker, I don't know the ratios and I always mess it up. We only have it for company who wants coffee and for coffee to put in chocolate cake. It doesn't get used a whole lot.

From the reviews I have read, this thing is supposed to be very well built, with a copper heating element that delivers a brew at the ideal temperature. It is supposed to make coffee similar to pour over, but in a machine much quicker than the slow process of pour over. And, it is made in The Netherlands instead of China like everything else and has a bit of an exclusivity factor.
But, I admit I like it for probably the worst of reasons, it is expensive and looks cool, probably two of the worst reasons for wanting something.
Although, I have had a few vehicles over the years that I bought for precisely those reasons, none of which were practical or budget-friendly.
Truth is, in a blind taste test, I might not be able to tell the difference in coffee made in a $20 Mr. Coffee and coffee made in the much more costly Moccamaster, but when I took off the blindfold, the Moccoamaster would look way cool sitting on the counter.
That seems like an even dumber reason for wanting one now that I read back what I just wrote. :hilarious:

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
From the reviews I have read, this thing is supposed to be very well built, with a copper heating element that delivers a brew at the ideal temperature. It is supposed to make coffee similar to pour over, but in a machine much quicker than the slow process of pour over.
But, I admit I like it for probably the worst of reasons, it is expensive and looks cool, probably two of the worst reasons for wanting something.
Although, I have had a few vehicles over the years that I bought for precisely those reasons, none of which were practical or budget-friendly.
Truth is, in a blind taste test, I might not be able to tell the difference in coffee made in a $20 Mr. Coffee and coffee made in the much more costly Moccamaster, but when I took off the blindfold, the Moccoamaster would look way cool sitting on the counter.
That seems like an even dumber reason for wanting one now that I read back what I just wrote. :hilarious:
I think you made the right decision. My everyday coffee maker is a $10 black Friday Mr Coffee, we have 2 keurigs, a french press one of those fancy schmancy ones with a top and bottom glass pot and I think the biggest difference in taste is what goes into them. Have ever mentioned you and my dh must be brothers:rolleyes:

epcotisbest

I think you made the right decision. My everyday coffee maker is a $10 black Friday Mr Coffee, we have 2 keurigs, a french press one of those fancy schmancy ones with a top and bottom glass pot and I think the biggest difference in taste is what goes into them. Have ever mentioned you and my dh must be brothers:rolleyes:

Yeah, I have a couple of Keurigs, two different french press pots, a pour over set up with fancy kettle and a Mr Coffee too.
I mostly use the countertop Keurig, and we take the mini Keurig with us when we go somewhere.
As for your dh, great minds do think alike!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I have a couple of Keurigs, two different french press pots, a pour over set up with fancy kettle and a Mr Coffee too.
I mostly use the countertop Keurig, and we take the mini Keurig with us when we go somewhere.
As for your dh, great minds do think alike!
Dh has a coleman percolator for camping and power outages. As for the great minds part, do you do know how lucky you are your dw keeps you out of bankruptcy court;)

Songbird76

From the reviews I have read, this thing is supposed to be very well built, with a copper heating element that delivers a brew at the ideal temperature. It is supposed to make coffee similar to pour over, but in a machine much quicker than the slow process of pour over. And, it is made in The Netherlands instead of China like everything else and has a bit of an exclusivity factor.
Well the Dutch certainly do like their coffee, so if it's made in the Netherlands, I have no doubt it's good quality....whether it's BETTER quality, I couldn't say. And not being a coffee drinker myself, I'm not likely to find out.

Sans Souci

So I had my first grilling failure of the spring season this evening. One of my favorites is meatloaf and I usually make them moist and tender with lots of flavor. Today I upped the cooking temp from my usual 300 to 350 with the goal of finishing sooner.
That worked but the outside sorta burned when I hit my internal temperature goal of 160. It was a little dry too. I also forgot an airspace between the platesetter and drip pan, so the drippings burned as well. Guess I tried to rush things.
I just trimmed off the burned part and we did salvage the vast majority of it, but this was a fail.
There is plenty left for good old meatloaf sandwiches, maybe we can dice some of it up for tacos or burritos and, knowing me, perhaps a bit for some breakfast hash...yeah, might give that a try.

View attachment 457572View attachment 457573

It looks fine to me. You could chop it up and make some Sloppy Joe's out of it.

Sans Souci

Yeah, still no flour here. I've been going to the store as soon as it opens each morning to look. I figure when they finally get it in, I want to be the first one to get it and I'm going to buy 2 bags. (I think they are only kilo bags here...you can't buy a big bag of flour here. Bigger bags don't exist) That's one thing I really miss about the States, actually....the larger sizes of products. Big bottles of shampoo or soap, big bags of flour, bags of powdered sugar, packages with 4 sticks of butter...you can't buy bulk here. And even if you could, people don't have deep freezers here so you have the freezer part of your refrigerator and that's it. You can't keep a supply of anything the way you can in the US.

My son and I wanted to make homemade pizza to burn up some time. I always use 00 flour, because it's low protein, so you can roll it out really thin. I went to the King Arthur Flour website and they were out. Not just that type, but others as well.

I had a really small fridge/freezer when I lived in London. I had to go to the supermarket a few times a week to replenish what I'd used up. I couldn't fit a week's worth of food in my fridge/freezer/cupboards.

This was my kitchen, dining room and living room in London. LOL
BBFE40E5-9248-4F79-B029-09EB1A1949D4.jpeg

Sans Souci

They look really nice. I did a quick google of the price. It's what I expected. People spend that much on espresso machines. I've spent a lot of money on things that others would think is crazy. But I take care of those things and I enjoy them. My husband bought me a really expensive kitchen mixer made in Sweden. I use it all the time, I look after it and it has a seven year guarantee behind it.

Sans Souci

Hello-

I did an hour of yoga this morning. I never went out for a walk. I was really tired today and I don't know why.

We're under a shelter in place directive. We get take outs every few nights to put money back into the community. Plus, it's been harder to get certain items in the stores now. Things are rationed, so this also stretches out our food. I wanted to make a turkey meatloaf and the recipe requires 2 lbs. I could only buy 1 lb. We can only buy 1 carton of eggs per visit and when my husband went to Costco, he said he could only buy one "meat item." So, he bought a pack of boneless, skinless chicken . He said there was a lot of TP, though! :hilarious:

Take care. :)

epcotisbest

They look really nice. I did a quick google of the price. It's what I expected. People spend that much on espresso machines. I've spent a lot of money on things that others would think is crazy. But I take care of those things and I enjoy them. My husband bought me a really expensive kitchen mixer made in Sweden. I use it all the time, I look after it and it has a seven year guarantee behind it.

I splurged on a Vitamix a few years ago and love it. Now, it was about five times more expensive than a regular blender, but is it five times better? In this case, yes!

epcotisbest

It looks fine to me. You could chop it up and make some Sloppy Joe's out of it.

Now, that's a thought. I just checked the pantry and there is a can of Manwich sauce just waiting to be used. Of course, I will probably kick it up a notch or two with some diced tomatoes, minced garlic, peppers and onions, a little olive oil and who knows what kind of spices, and let it slowly simmer for a long time. Thanks for the idea!

Songbird76

My son and I wanted to make homemade pizza to burn up some time. I always use 00 flour, because it's low protein, so you can roll it out really thin. I went to the King Arthur Flour website and they were out. Not just that type, but others as well.

I had a really small fridge/freezer when I lived in London. I had to go to the supermarket a few times a week to replenish what I'd used up. I couldn't fit a week's worth of food in my fridge/freezer/cupboards.

This was my kitchen, dining room and living room in London. LOL
View attachment 457731
Yep, that's pretty much the size of my kitchen. You definitely can not fit that much in there. My countertops are full because there's nowhere else to put everything. The fridge is packed! And I've been selective about what I get because I can't fit much in the fridge or freezer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom