working out for Disney

epcotisbest

Had a better workout this morning since I was waking up at 5:30 instead of 4:30. I got in about 15.6 miles on the bike, maintaining around a 13 min mile pace in walking warm up, and really worked on my quads. I also got in some decent ab work with the big exercise ball.

Also saw a nice little treat as I was walking the younger one down the driveway this morning...one of the azaleas has started to bloom. The others aren't showing any buds just yet, but one of the plants near it has some nice berries. The new trees also went in the ground over the weekend. It'll be a while before we see anything on them, but hoping they do well. We decided on a Sourwood for the dog and a Flame Mimosa as a nod to looking to a positive the future. Both should be great for butterflies and hummingbirds. If I find time this weekend, I'm also going to start on the daisies.

46369210534_ff7736431a_z.jpg

33217764038_cee2b3a4a4_z.jpg

40127966343_4c291768e5_z.jpg

46330617454_fd8c363bc6_z.jpg

47002383502_30a35a4100_z.jpg

Happy Valentine's Day :inlove:

Thanks for sharing the photos. Too early here for azaleas and we will have some more cold but it is nice to see early signs of Spring.
My wife, her youngest sister and a group of friends used to do the Disney Princess half-marathon, but have not in a couple of years now. It just got too expensive and strenuous. She is getting older but won't admit to that. They did a girl's trip, had a fun time with the run, and then spent extra time poolside or outlet shopping and dining out to round out the week.
I always encouraged her to do the girl's trip and now that the half-marathon thing is no longer happening, they do a summer girl's trip to the beach instead. This year is Sanibel Island and they are really looking forward to it.
Here is a pic I just snapped of some of her medals:

epcotisbest

They did not do a whole lot of training, just mostly participated for fun and were able to keep up the pace to not have to get picked up for trailing too far behind. Their favorite part was deciding what costume to wear. My wife usually made hers and has ran as Tinkerbell, Snow White, Ariel and more. One year she bought a glitter covered Cinderella dress to run in, over running tights off course. We are still finding glitter from that outfit, and she says she left a 13.1 mile trail of glitter all over WDW.

HouCuseChickie

Thanks for sharing the photos. Too early here for azaleas and we will have some more cold but it is nice to see early signs of Spring.
My wife, her youngest sister and a group of friends used to do the Disney Princess half-marathon, but have not in a couple of years now. It just got too expensive and strenuous. She is getting older but won't admit to that. They did a girl's trip, had a fun time with the run, and then spent extra time poolside or outlet shopping and dining out to round out the week.
I always encouraged her to do the girl's trip and now that the half-marathon thing is no longer happening, they do a summer girl's trip to the beach instead. This year is Sanibel Island and they are really looking forward to it.
Here is a pic I just snapped of some of her medals:

View attachment 350011

We don't get much in the way of real winter here. We're on the northern end of zone 9 for USDA hardiness. It's a pretty short drive to zone hardiness 8b, but still...it stays pretty mild in these parts. This is our prime planting season.

I remember seeing you speak of her Princess trips in the past. Just the fact that she's done so many is such a great accomplishment. I did one non-Disney half and I think I'm done with anything over 10k. I think it's that kind of extra stuff after the races that's also sounding really appealing to us. My friend is a huge fan of the GF's tea and I've never done that, so all kinds of fun little things to consider. The Disney medals are all so pretty!

We love Sanibel! My first Disney trip as a kid was cut short because my dad wanted to have part of the vacation feel more tropical and beachy...so we went to Sanibel. The tide would go out at night and create these little streams and pools with anemones. It's also the best place for seashells we've ever been. We've been several times since then and the water is always gorgeous. We even had one visit where there was an American crocodile enjoying the gentle surf of the gulf. Hope she enjoys!

Sans Souci

It's funny...I have friends who live to run and make it their justification to go to various vacation destinations, but training like that all the time is a lot...especially when climate plays into it all. I found myself having to train in the dark, and I didn't like it. I was carrying pepper spray and a taser because I was so paranoid. The taser came after one of my dusk outings where some sketchy men were following me in their pick up. A realtor managing the new construction in the neighborhood saw it and helped run them off...she even shadowed me for a while to ensure they were gone. I was even bringing a golf club because packs of stray dogs that were coming out of the woods into the neighborhood. And I know I scared someone one time, because I had the cops called on me. Here I am in running gear at 5:30am with my dog, just to be cornered in a cul de sac by two squad cars and blinded by spotlights.

I see my friends post about their winter training temps and conditions (which look awful), but for me...it's the warm weather issues. I found myself having to carry extra lighting because of snakes and the occasional alligator. In our current neighborhood, coyotes and bobcats are also a concern. I'm also terrified of spiders, which are everywhere after the sun sets. I had a couple of situations where I ran into major webs and that cured me of running/walking in the dark outside of the cooler months. Of course, that means trying to build up distance and speed in daytime heat and humidity, while lugging round a water bottle belt.

My husband thinks I am overboard when I text him when I am leaving the house and when I return from my walks. I am reading this and I don't feel so foolish anymore. I won't walk around here by myself early AM or in the evening. I pass too many heavily wooded areas on quiet streets. It only takes a second.

Sans Souci

My cake is done. :rolleyes:

I thought I'd done all of the right things for a nice, silky-smooth Swiss meringue buttercream.

Any bowls, beaters or whisks that was going to be in contact with my egg white/sugar mixture was doused in white vinegar. I cooked said mixture to 140F and immediately transferred to my stand mixer bowl. It seemed promising, but then 12 minutes later, I was looking at soft peak egg whites. I chilled the bowl for 20 minutes, swapped out whisks and began adding the butter. It never really came together nicely. I put the other whisks back on and got a somewhat workable buttercream.

I frosted my cake with three different colors and when I went to get more frosting to pipe a border on top and at the bottom, it was just nasty. It was translucent, greasy looking and yellow. The texture was not smooth at all. I had some white chocolate chips, so I melted some and piped hearts on parchment paper on top of an upside down jelly roll pan. They were meh, as I was free handing and trying to move quickly before the white chocolate solidified again. It went from too runny to too stiff in a minute. So I chilled them and I put them on the cake.

It is done and so am I. :p

93boomer

Premium Member
My husband thinks I am overboard when I text him when I am leaving the house and when I return from my walks. I am reading this and I don't feel so foolish anymore. I won't walk around here by myself early AM or in the evening. I pass too many heavily wooded areas on quiet streets. It only takes a second.
Oh no don’t feel foolish. I feel someone should know where you are going. I always text DH when I walk or even just running to the store. I want him to know if I don’t get back in touch when I return to call me. Something may be wrong. Just a habit. He lets me know when he leaves the office too.

HouCuseChickie

Oh no don’t feel foolish. I feel someone should know where you are going. I always text DH when I walk or even just running to the store. I want him to know if I don’t get back in touch when I return to call me. Something may be wrong. Just a habit. He lets me know when he leaves the office too.

Oh no...no foolishness at all. My husband thinks I'm nuts and paranoid over some of this stuff, but there are so many things that could happen and it's just better to be prepared. The wildlife and people are only part of it. Case in point, my parents like to walk when they come visit us. We have all of these forested green belt trails that I previously posted about and if you don't know the trails, it's like being in a forested corn maze. I had to rescue my parents back in November because they got lost. Thankfully, they had their phones and could call me with location info once they finally found a side street. The kids and I use Life360 on our phones so we can use our GPS through the app to find each other if any of us have been gone too long on a walk or bike ride.

HouCuseChickie

My cake is done. :rolleyes:

I thought I'd done all of the right things for a nice, silky-smooth Swiss meringue buttercream.

Any bowls, beaters or whisks that was going to be in contact with my egg white/sugar mixture was doused in white vinegar. I cooked said mixture to 140F and immediately transferred to my stand mixer bowl. It seemed promising, but then 12 minutes later, I was looking at soft peak egg whites. I chilled the bowl for 20 minutes, swapped out whisks and began adding the butter. It never really came together nicely. I put the other whisks back on and got a somewhat workable buttercream.

I frosted my cake with three different colors and when I went to get more frosting to pipe a border on top and at the bottom, it was just nasty. It was translucent, greasy looking and yellow. The texture was not smooth at all. I had some white chocolate chips, so I melted some and piped hearts on parchment paper on top of an upside down jelly roll pan. They were meh, as I was free handing and trying to move quickly before the white chocolate solidified again. It went from too runny to too stiff in a minute. So I chilled them and I put them on the cake.

It is done and so am I. :p

I know it's not what you wanted, but as a cake girl, I've found that one of the best parts of having a cake disappointment or an all out fail is that it still usually tastes good...and at the end of the day, that's the best part of cake! I've never done anything with Swiss meringue, but a thought did come to mind from my baking and decorating. Are there any interior conditions that can have an impact on it? I know my summer cakes are more prone to issues over heat and humidity. It doesn't get cold enough here to have winter issues, but I'm wondering if any of that could be impacting results.

You also reminded me that I need to come up with a cake design for my dad. He had a milestone bday at the end of January and they're coming to visit this month. So, I need to cake :D

Sans Souci

I know it's not what you wanted, but as a cake girl, I've found that one of the best parts of having a cake disappointment or an all out fail is that it still usually tastes good...and at the end of the day, that's the best part of cake! I've never done anything with Swiss meringue, but a thought did come to mind from my baking and decorating. Are there any interior conditions that can have an impact on it? I know my summer cakes are more prone to issues over heat and humidity. It doesn't get cold enough here to have winter issues, but I'm wondering if any of that could be impacting results.

You also reminded me that I need to come up with a cake design for my dad. He had a milestone bday at the end of January and they're coming to visit this month. So, I need to cake :D

It's an amaretto cake and I tried it yesterday when I trimmed the tops to let the amaretto simple syrup soak in. It did taste good. I'm just frustrated that I thought this mixer would make all of the difference. I don't think there's is anything environmental affecting the frosting, it's just user error.

That's so nice of you to bake a special cake for your dad's birthday. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom