working out for Disney

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm still alive after icemageddon. Thankfully the power didn't go out but I have both not so little angels home again sigh. Today is weights and yoga, there's no way I'm going anywhere without skates lol. It's so bad my dh's 10 minute commute took close to 40 minutes without traffic. I see lots of salad and something with broccoli in my food future today.

Sans Souci

I'm still alive after icemageddon. Thankfully the power didn't go out but I have both not so little angels home again sigh. Today is weights and yoga, there's no way I'm going anywhere without skates lol. It's so bad my dh's 10 minute commute took close to 40 minutes without traffic. I see lots of salad and something with broccoli in my food future today.

Ick. It mostly rained down here, so the roads are clear and most of the snow is gone. My husband's passport arrives today, so my plans for a walk might be shelved. It needs a signature.

HouCuseChickie

I had four female cousins who did this with figure skating. If they weren't practicing at the rink, they were driving all over the Upper Midwest to competitions. That is a crazy expensive sport and I can't imagine having to pay for four girls to participate.

That would be nice if you can visit NO during the tournament.

Competitive skating can get extremely expensive, but so many of these things do. I was talking to an old coworker in a meeting this morning and her younger one just got into competitive cheer and the price tag and time drain was equally as evil. It's part of why we opted for a select ball club that focused more locally vs. true travel ball. My friends whose kids play on true travel teams spend their weekends doing road trip tournaments (3-4 hrs away) during the school year and ones involving air travel during breaks and summer...minus the few weeks where they break for high profile camps at the colleges with top tier programs. That's all too serious for us. I want my child to do well and have fun, but we're not pushing for it to be a career priority...unless she is suddenly that gung-ho about being ultra serious. I couldn't imagine having four in anything costly like this. YIKES!

HouCuseChickie

Had another early meeting today that required me in the office in more dressy work attire, so it was another ultra early morning workout. I hit all my goals, but I was just going through the motions since I didn't get to sleep as early last night due to school activities. At least I tossed in some extra ab work last night while I was working with the older one on some stuff. Nothing like doing the Baby Shark ab workout while discussing course selection. :hilarious:

Also talked to the hubby last night about doing a RunDisney event in 2020. He didn't love the idea, but he's not opposed to it if it doesn't compromise family vacation budgets. The friend I want to come with me also sounds up for it and we may do Cheshire Cat and Mad Hatter run costumes. We shall see. She only wants to do the 5k, but I'd probably do the 5k and 10k. I did a local half marathon back in 2015 and while my pace was within Disney standards, I decided after a while that it just wasn't fun. My feet also don't seem to care for long-term training distances over the 6-7 mile range. I guess I'll have to decide on another costume if I do the 10k on my own. Maybe I can twist the arm of my crafty sewing mom to make some things so I can cut some more costs. :greedy:

Sans Souci

Had another early meeting today that required me in the office in more dressy work attire, so it was another ultra early morning workout. I hit all my goals, but I was just going through the motions since I didn't get to sleep as early last night due to school activities. At least I tossed in some extra ab work last night while I was working with the older one on some stuff. Nothing like doing the Baby Shark ab workout while discussing course selection. :hilarious:

Also talked to the hubby last night about doing a RunDisney event in 2020. He didn't love the idea, but he's not opposed to it if it doesn't compromise family vacation budgets. The friend I want to come with me also sounds up for it and we may do Cheshire Cat and Mad Hatter run costumes. We shall see. She only wants to do the 5k, but I'd probably do the 5k and 10k. I did a local half marathon back in 2015 and while my pace was within Disney standards, I decided after a while that it just wasn't fun. My feet also don't seem to care for long-term training distances over the 6-7 mile range. I guess I'll have to decide on another costume if I do the 10k on my own. Maybe I can twist the arm of my crafty sewing mom to make some things so I can cut some more costs. :greedy:

I keep seeing references to Baby Shark and I don't even know what it is! Maybe it's because I have a 17 year old?

I can't run. I don't know what it is. I can do it for a bit, but then I just get bored and I never get that rush/euphoria I get from other types of physical activity. I have wanted to do a Disney race, but I'm more of a walker. I walk long distances, but not run. But that sounds so fun to dress up and run. I love wearing costumes. I always go on one of the Halloween cruises and I always dress up for the Halloween party. It's fun and some people really go for it.

Sans Souci

OK-

I am not impressed with my mixer. But I am not giving up. I tried to make a swiss meringue buttercream frosting. The motor is in the base and as it ran, it heated up the bowl I was trying to cool down. So, I stopped and chilled it in the fridge for 10 minutes. Then I started again and but the butter in. It was kind of gloppy and not creamy. I don't know how to describe it. It was almost effervescent, if that makes sense. It really wasn't sticking to the cake, but I was able to get a crumb coat on. But even that looks like crap. :p

Plus, I could not get the egg whites/sugar to go past soft peaks! So, I am clearly doing something wrong there. I just don't know what. I am wiping down all bowls and whisks with white vinegar to remove fat.

I have more butter out to come to room temp to try again. But I am going put it away call it a day and try again tomorrow. I'll feel better and not frustrated. Seriously. I get better results from my $15 Oster hand mixer. :hilarious:

I am going to contact Ankarsrum and troubleshoot with them.

HouCuseChickie

I keep seeing references to Baby Shark and I don't even know what it is! Maybe it's because I have a 17 year old?

I can't run. I don't know what it is. I can do it for a bit, but then I just get bored and I never get that rush/euphoria I get from other types of physical activity. I have wanted to do a Disney race, but I'm more of a walker. I walk long distances, but not run. But that sounds so fun to dress up and run. I love wearing costumes. I always go on one of the Halloween cruises and I always dress up for the Halloween party. It's fun and some people really go for it.

Be thankful you haven't heard Baby Shark. It's more popular with the younger kids, but we've heard it for some of the high school aged kids as well.

I walk more than run due to health issues, but I walk at a really brisk pace. My treadmill walking warm up is around a 13 min mile pace. Running is one of those things that triggers exercise induced asthma for me, so I have to slow to a fast walk as soon as I feel issues coming on. Consequently, I've never felt particularly comfortable running as it doesn't feel right or natural. Still, I know there are fast walkers that make it in the RunDisney events without being swept, so I'm optimistic. The half that I did was more of a run walk for me and even for the half, I was still safely inside Disney's max pace. We've only been to MNSSHP once, but dressing up was fun. As my friend put it, she doesn't really care too much what theme we pick as long as there are tutus involved :D

HouCuseChickie

OK-

I am not impressed with my mixer. But I am not giving up. I tried to make a swiss meringue buttercream frosting. The motor is in the base and as it ran, it heated up the bowl I was trying to cool down. So, I stopped and chilled it in the fridge for 10 minutes. Then I started again and but the butter in. It was kind of gloppy and not creamy. I don't know how to describe it. It was almost effervescent, if that makes sense. It really wasn't sticking to the cake, but I was able to get a crumb coat on. But even that looks like crap. :p

Plus, I could not get the egg whites/sugar to go past soft peaks! So, I am clearly doing something wrong there. I just don't know what. I am wiping down all bowls and whisks with white vinegar to remove fat.

I have more butter out to come to room temp to try again. But I am going put it away call it a day and try again tomorrow. I'll feel better and not frustrated. Seriously. I get better results from my $15 Oster hand mixer. :hilarious:

Yeah...that's not good. Hopefully they can troubleshoot it and give you some helpful feedback. I wonder if that's why other stand mixers have the motor in the head. I tend to crumb coat with a really dense American buttercream and don't care too much as long as it sticks and hardens, since I'm usually topping it with fondant...so I'm very little help. Still, I'm curious to hear what they have to say.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster

I'm with you on the whole running is over rated thing.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
OK-

I have a big Kitchenaid but use my cheapie hand mixer for almost everything. My dh loves it but I don't get needing a big one. .Now 8 quart instant pots are another story

HouCuseChickie

I have a big Kitchenaid but use my cheapie hand mixer for almost everything. My dh loves it but I don't get needing a big one. .Now 8 quart instant pots are another story

It's funny, after getting my big Kitchenaid (which I begged for), I don't think I could ever go back to a hand mixer. Hubby was thinking about getting me an Instapot. It would be nice on those days when I want a roast, but don't have the time to set it for 10 hours.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
That's really cool that you took lessons. Did you learn how to do any of those fancy moves? I can see why you'd gravitate towards figure skating because of how much you love the cold. :)

I could do a few, very simple jumps and spins. Also, spent a ton of time on practicing footwork across the ice. But again, my skating back then was for recreation only, on Saturday mornings.

Sans Souci

Be thankful you haven't heard Baby Shark. It's more popular with the younger kids, but we've heard it for some of the high school aged kids as well.

I walk more than run due to health issues, but I walk at a really brisk pace. My treadmill walking warm up is around a 13 min mile pace. Running is one of those things that triggers exercise induced asthma for me, so I have to slow to a fast walk as soon as I feel issues coming on. Consequently, I've never felt particularly comfortable running as it doesn't feel right or natural. Still, I know there are fast walkers that make it in the RunDisney events without being swept, so I'm optimistic. The half that I did was more of a run walk for me and even for the half, I was still safely inside Disney's max pace. We've only been to MNSSHP once, but dressing up was fun. As my friend put it, she doesn't really care too much what theme we pick as long as there are tutus involved :D

I have a friend who did the WDW and DLR half marathons in the same year. She said she alternated between walking and running for the races. She never ran another race after those two. She was getting up at 3:30 to eat breakfast and then she would run on the path along Lake Michigan at 5 AM in Winter (hard pass). I don't mind getting up early, but I am not fond of being one of a few people out at that time of day.

Sans Souci

I honestly wanted a regular stand mixer. My husband found this one and found reviews that said they are very durable. I'd never even heard of this brand until he surprised me with it. (So I don't want to complain to him about it.) I'm still getting used to it, but I think it will really shine when I make bread.

I love my Instant Pot. Mine is 5 q, I think. But I am only cooking for my husband and me, since my son does his own thing for dinner. Mine is also one of the older iterations, so I don't have high/low pressure and the other bells and whistles.

Sans Souci

Happy Valentine's Day! 💌💖

I did another You Tube video workout today. It was a 30 minute lower body strength training workout. It got my heart rate up and I was a sweaty mess at the end. That always makes me happy. :happy:

I have some butter out and I am going to attempt "Frosting: Part Two." I did some googling around and I found some things I should change. I have been heating my egg whites too high and I am going to switch beaters once I get a meringue. I think I am going to have to stop and chill the bowl here and there. I hope I am successful today. 🤞

My crumb coated cake looks so bad. I am going to try to smooth it out with a long offset spatula dipped in hot water.

epcotisbest

Have not dropped in on this thread in awhile so there is a lot to catch up on. Will read some later.
Forecast here is for multiple days of rain for the next week or more, so today was a good day to get up early and walk. Stuck the little camera in my pocket to snap a pic of the sunrise through the trees and I also took a couple of pics of some early blooming flowers, jonquils and flowering liriope.
Also, my wife got me a Spicy Shelf for Valentines and I put it together and organized my spice space as it was quite a piled up mess. Now it is nicely organized.

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

I have a friend who did the WDW and DLR half marathons in the same year. She said she alternated between walking and running for the races. She never ran another race after those two. She was getting up at 3:30 to eat breakfast and then she would run on the path along Lake Michigan at 5 AM in Winter (hard pass). I don't mind getting up early, but I am not fond of being one of a few people out at that time of day.

It's funny...I have friends who live to run and make it their justification to go to various vacation destinations, but training like that all the time is a lot...especially when climate plays into it all. I found myself having to train in the dark, and I didn't like it. I was carrying pepper spray and a taser because I was so paranoid. The taser came after one of my dusk outings where some sketchy men were following me in their pick up. A realtor managing the new construction in the neighborhood saw it and helped run them off...she even shadowed me for a while to ensure they were gone. I was even bringing a golf club because packs of stray dogs that were coming out of the woods into the neighborhood. And I know I scared someone one time, because I had the cops called on me. Here I am in running gear at 5:30am with my dog, just to be cornered in a cul de sac by two squad cars and blinded by spotlights.

I see my friends post about their winter training temps and conditions (which look awful), but for me...it's the warm weather issues. I found myself having to carry extra lighting because of snakes and the occasional alligator. In our current neighborhood, coyotes and bobcats are also a concern. I'm also terrified of spiders, which are everywhere after the sun sets. I had a couple of situations where I ran into major webs and that cured me of running/walking in the dark outside of the cooler months. Of course, that means trying to build up distance and speed in daytime heat and humidity, while lugging round a water bottle belt.

HouCuseChickie

Had a better workout this morning since I was waking up at 5:30 instead of 4:30. I got in about 15.6 miles on the bike, maintaining around a 13 min mile pace in walking warm up, and really worked on my quads. I also got in some decent ab work with the big exercise ball.

Also saw a nice little treat as I was walking the younger one down the driveway this morning...one of the azaleas has started to bloom. The others aren't showing any buds just yet, but one of the plants near it has some nice berries. The new trees also went in the ground over the weekend. It'll be a while before we see anything on them, but hoping they do well. We decided on a Sourwood for the dog and a Flame Mimosa as a nod to looking to a positive the future. Both should be great for butterflies and hummingbirds. If I find time this weekend, I'm also going to start on the daisies.

46369210534_ff7736431a_z.jpg

33217764038_cee2b3a4a4_z.jpg

40127966343_4c291768e5_z.jpg

46330617454_fd8c363bc6_z.jpg

47002383502_30a35a4100_z.jpg

Happy Valentine's Day :inlove:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom