working out for Disney

Goofyernmost

Until I was 15 we lived next to the north entrance to Plattsburgh AFB. A huge SAC base in northern New York State. Every year they had an open house and every year they had the Air Force Thunderbirds (same, same as the Blue Angels). All we had to do to watch the show was to sit in a lawn chair on our patio and look up. Never thought it was a big deal mostly because it was almost a normal thing for us. Never realized just how many people went all kinds of distances just to watch them.
Sorry, I forgot to add that there was a trade off. While all that was happening we were living, fat, dumb and happy, less then a mile from a fleet of B52's fully armed with nuclear weapons. They never told us about that little gem until years later. Plattsburgh AFB was the closest, over the north pole offensive military instillation in the lower 48. That we did know and exactly why no one in the City built fallout shelters during the cold war. We knew that in the event of an attack we would all be reduced to powder anyway, so why bother.

epcotisbest

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Sorry, I forgot to add that there was a trade off. While all that was happening we were living, fat, dumb and happy, less then a mile from a fleet of B52's fully armed with nuclear weapons. They never told us about that little gem until years later. Plattsburgh AFB was the closest, over the north pole offensive military instillation in the lower 48. That we did know and exactly why no one in the City built fallout shelters during the cold war. We knew that in the event of an attack we would all be reduced to powder anyway, so why bother.

There are a couple of decommissioned NIKE sites in MA. Read that they were built during the Cold War. The one closest to where I grew up (a number of miles away) was an active Army site from 1955-1963. Nothing like having missiles close by, for the families in those areas! ;)

Goofyernmost

There are a couple of decommissioned NIKE sites in MA. Read that they were built during the Cold War. The one closest to where I grew up (a number of miles away) was an active Army site from 1955-1963. Nothing like having missiles close by, for the families in those areas! ;)
We had a ring of those around Plattsburgh too. There was one in Vermont and the rest were strategically placed a big circle around PAFB. My father ran a trucking company that was next door to our house. While they were building those underground silo's the company hauled dry concrete by the trailer truck load to the sites while they were building them. When they were short handed he used to drive one of them and I would ride along with him. I don't remember how old I was but, I would guess around 10 or 11, but, I might have been older. I just don't remember. We would haul in a full Portland cement trailer to the site and pick up an empty one and bring it back to be refilled again. It seemed very exciting at the time, but, I don't remember ever feeling any danger at that point. I was petrified during the Cuban Missile Crisis when car after car was going on the base right past my bedroom window. They used to store MacIntosh Apples in the Vermont silo after the missile was removed. I don't know if they still do.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
We had a ring of those around Plattsburgh too. There was one in Vermont and the rest were strategically placed a big circle around PAFB. My father ran a trucking company that was next door to our house. While they were building those underground silo's the company hauled dry concrete by the trailer truck load to the sites while they were building them. When they were short handed he used to drive one of them and I would ride along with him. I don't remember how old I was but, I would guess around 10 or 11, but, I might have been older. I just don't remember. We would haul in a full Portland cement trailer to the site and pick up an empty one and bring it back to be refilled again. It seemed very exciting at the time, but, I don't remember ever feeling any danger at that point. I was petrified during the Cuban Missile Crisis when car after car was going on the base right past my bedroom window. They used to store MacIntosh Apples in the Vermont silo after the missile was removed. I don't know if they still do.

Wow, really fascinating first-hand accounts.

On another matter, seeing as this is the working out thread, I dropped a pound yesterday from (literally) running around (inside) the complex where I work, tending to details of day-long meetings. Everything was so spread out in the buildings and often waiting for elevators took too long, so I was constantly up and down 3-6 flights of stairs and then bolting from conf. room to conf. room in different areas. Only bringing this up because I lost a pound from this "work workout" lunacy! :p

Goofyernmost

Wow, really fascinating first-hand accounts.

On another matter, seeing as this is the working out thread, I dropped a pound yesterday from (literally) running around (inside) the complex where I work, tending to details of day-long meetings. Everything was so spread out in the buildings and often waiting for elevators took too long, so I was constantly up and down 3-6 flights of stairs and then bolting from conf. room to conf. room in different areas. Only bringing this up because I lost a pound from this "work workout" lunacy! :p
Weight loss and getting paid to do it, very clever! However, I must chastise you for attempting to bring this thread back on topic. And don't think that little slam went unnoticed. "seeing this is a working out thread", OK, I got the message. And just to stay on topic I have gone on my mall walk almost everyday this week. Probably gained weight though because pretty much all I do is stuff my face the rest of the day. I wonder how many calories one burns in the process of eating. You know preparation, clean up, chewing, digesting, moving vital nutrients to useful locations in the body. I'll bet that I might have lost weight just doing that. :p back attcha.
You started it! Naner, naner, naner 1541854898853.png

Last edited:

epcotisbest

Yeah, I don't know why people insist on posting stuff like pictures of food, especially things they have grilled, on here. Next thing you know some yahoo will start posting photos of flowers, cooking gadgets, pics of the beach, upside down airplanes, big ole smoking jet trucks, travel photos of places like Hawaii and maybe even photos of their yapping little dogs. Some people gotta lot of gall.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yeah, I don't know why people insist on posting stuff like pictures of food, especially things they have grilled, on here. Next thing you know some yahoo will start posting photos of flowers, cooking gadgets, pics of the beach, upside down airplanes, big ole smoking jet trucks, travel photos of places like Hawaii and maybe even photos of their yapping little dogs. Some people gotta lot of gall.

:joyfull:

Goofyernmost

I don't mind the pictures of food, but, it always seemed to me that posting them on a thread entitled "working out for disney" seems to me to be just a tad counter productive.

Posting food pictures online especially from my good friend @JenniferS who can post page after page of food only to end it with, "Well, I only had one bite and Mike ate the rest" is astonishing. People with that much will power should not be allowed out in public. Yes, I said it!
Anyone that can consume that much high calorie food and not look like the Goodyear Blimp also should not be allowed out among the, all I need to do is look at food and I will gain weight, people.

epcotisbest

I don't mind the pictures of food, but, it always seemed to me that posting them on a thread entitled "working out for disney" seems to me to be just a tad counter productive.

Posting food pictures online especially from my good friend @JenniferS who can post page after page of food only to end it with, "Well, I only had one bite and Mike ate the rest" is astonishing. People with that much will power should not be allowed out in public. Yes, I said it!
Anyone that can consume that much high calorie food and not look like the Goodyear Blimp also should not be allowed out among the, all I need to do is look at food and I will gain weight, people.

You are right, I guess it is counter productive, but is meant to indicate you can watch what you eat and still eat well. The combination of diet and working out is key for me, the two just go together.
I share photos of things I cook with my brother, who sends me pics of some of his cooks too. I started posting some of the pics here because I already had the pics on my computer.
My diabetes is, so far, controlled by diet, exercise and medication. I don't like exercise, but have to do it. I don't like taking so many meds, but have to take them. I do like cooking and it has become sort of a hobby that I like to share.
Overall, I am down about 60 pounds from my peak weight (still working on dropping about 20 more) but it is still an everyday battle, and part of that battle is trying to eat right, which I don't always succeed at doing, but I have fun trying.
I would not have thought a few years ago that meal prep, and trying to be creative in coming up with things I can eat that are actually edible, would wind up being fun, but it is. I also like making things my wife likes. I have made some things, like certain desserts, that I can't eat at all, or usually do try, but just a bite or two instead of a full serving. That kinda sucks when I want a whole slice of cake or pie, but only have a bite instead, or if the sugar is way high, not even chancing taking a single bite.
Anyway, did not mean to get long-winded. And, this is not meant to be defensive, even if it sounds that way.
I'm semi-retired now and it sucks more than I had imagined. I need to get out and volunteer more, or find better hobbies or something.
Now, what the heck the Blue Angels, or stupid photos of flowers or other photos of random stupid crap have to do with working out I still can't figure out.
If I ever publish a photo book, or an autobiography, I think that would be a good title, "Random Stupid Crap" subtitle "and other useless stuff."

Goofyernmost

You are right, I guess it is counter productive, but is meant to indicate you can watch what you eat and still eat well. The combination of diet and working out is key for me, the two just go together.
I share photos of things I cook with my brother, who sends me pics of some of his cooks too. I started posting some of the pics here because I already had the pics on my computer.
My diabetes is, so far, controlled by diet, exercise and medication. I don't like exercise, but have to do it. I don't like taking so many meds, but have to take them. I do like cooking and it has become sort of a hobby that I like to share.
Overall, I am down about 60 pounds from my peak weight (still working on dropping about 20 more) but it is still an everyday battle, and part of that battle is trying to eat right, which I don't always succeed at doing, but I have fun trying.
I would not have thought a few years ago that meal prep, and trying to be creative in coming up with things I can eat that are actually edible, would wind up being fun, but it is. I also like making things my wife likes. I have made some things, like certain desserts, that I can't eat at all, or usually do try, but just a bite or two instead of a full serving. That kinda sucks when I want a whole slice of cake or pie, but only have a bite instead, or if the sugar is way high, not even chancing taking a single bite.
Anyway, did not mean to get long-winded. And, this is not meant to be defensive, even if it sounds that way.
I'm semi-retired now and it sucks more than I had imagined. I need to get out and volunteer more, or find better hobbies or something.
Now, what the heck the Blue Angels, or stupid photos of flowers or other photos of random stupid crap have to do with working out I still can't figure out.
If I ever publish a photo book, or an autobiography, I think that would be a good title, "Random Stupid Crap" subtitle "and other useless stuff."
It's OK we all have our crosses to bear and almost every word I typed was jokingly to point out some minor ironic thing about it. To those of us, like yourself that are struggling with things that we are having to do because of problems that we didn't ask for, either see those things as... like I said, ironic or sometimes hard to swallow (little eating joke there). Nothing else was intended. Good luck with your procedures. I have a son-in-law, in his 50's that was just diagnosed with Type II. He is having a really hard time making those changes. I've been lucky so far, in spite of doing everything in my power to become diabetic, it has alluded me so far. :confused:

epcotisbest

It's OK we all have our crosses to bear and almost every word I typed was jokingly to point out some minor ironic thing about it. To those of us, like yourself that are struggling with things that we are having to do because of problems that we didn't ask for, either see those things as... like I said, ironic or sometimes hard to swallow (little eating joke there). Nothing else was intended. Good luck with your procedures. I have a son-in-law, in his 50's that was just diagnosed with Type II. He is having a really hard time making those changes. I've been lucky so far, in spite of doing everything in my power to become diabetic, it has alluded me so far. :confused:

Yes, making the changes was quite difficult. I hope your SIL adjusts to the mandatory lifestyle changes better than I have. Seems my physical issues are small potatoes (random high carb food joke there) compared to your housing issue, so I should not whine too much.

epcotisbest

So here is another random photo, taken just now, unrelated to working out, but directly related to health. Arm is aching. I had to have lab work done the other day and here is the resulting bruise at the withdrawal point. This did not use to happen, now it does. Getting older sucks, but still beats the alternative.

94B22378-0BB4-4C10-999C-F21ED7821F47.jpeg

Goofyernmost

So here is another random photo, taken just now, unrelated to working out, but directly related to health. Arm is aching. I had to have lab work done the other day and here is the resulting bruise at the withdrawal point. This did not use to happen, now it does. Getting older sucks, but still beats the alternative.

View attachment 325699
I had that happen one time when I gave blood. I used to be a double donor until they discovered I had prostate cancer and then decided that my blood was no longer any good. Anyway, it was a new person doing it and either went through a vain or tore it slightly and my arm turned the prettiest purple.

As for having one or the other, I can eventually find another place to live and might even save a huge amount of money in the process. But, since I seem to have a large portion of my diet consisting of carbs, I think I will be in big trouble if I were to get Diabetes. I already have my right leg that was injured a few years ago with restricted blood flow to my foot, all I would need is Diabetes. Keep up the fight, I'll bet it is worth winning.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

View attachment 325699

Whether or not you bruise, can (sometimes) also be attributed to the phlebotomist who drew the blood. Some are better than others. You may or may not bruise again--just the luck of the draw (no pun intended).

MinnieM123

Premium Member

I always like seeing your food pictures. You've been very creative with food, spices, and different ways of cooking. Many people struggle with weight control, and what you're doing is positive.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster

View attachment 325699
OUCH! I hope that's the last blood work for a very long while. I'm not sure this is related or will help you the next time but when I get blood pulled I insist on pediatric needles. GWS my friend

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom