working in wdw

cm1988

I worked for WDW for $6.25 an hour and survived. I just got married and can't wait to move to Orlando to work for the Mouse. It is possible but you HAVE TO BUDGET.It is just the 2 of us, so I know it is easier for us.

GOOD LUCK

With respect, I have to take exception to that. Like the person starting this thread, I was a 30-something guy who was really tempted to leave a boring job for life at Disney.

Having no family, I did it. It led me to 16 years with many, many great memories. I still love WDW and get a lot of use from my annual pass.

Here's the flip side: I had to live in rented rooms. I had a chapter 7 bankruptcy... thankfully, it was still possible in 2001... which left me with almost no retirement savings.

A family with 2 children must have at least a 2-bedroom apartment... and would be much more comfortable in a 3-bedroom. Think $1000 per month for anything decent. That's 12K per year, about the amount the cast member would earn... before taxes. This would leave the spouse to earn the amount necessary for any of the "niceities" of life... food, transportation, clothing, any sort of material possession...

Mecha Figment

actualy you'd be amazed at how many people also work for Univeral.

i'm a sesonal entertainment cast memeber if you ever want to make decent money with that is get trained in shows or parades.

I was lucky enough to learn two shows which also add puppet premium along with the show pay. and I get parade pay wit puppet premium as well. that adds about an extra dollar to the equations per hour.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
actualy you'd be amazed at how many people also work for Univeral.

i'm a sesonal entertainment cast memeber if you ever want to make decent money with that is get trained in shows or parades.

I was lucky enough to learn two shows which also add puppet premium along with the show pay. and I get parade pay wit puppet premium as well. that adds about an extra dollar to the equations per hour.
I was in your exact same situation for quite a while...

...then I got my first non Disney paycheck and nearly flipped out.

My former WDW coworkers said I took a paycut when i showed it to them, but then I showed them that was for 40 hours, whereas their check was for 80 :)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
If you want to start at a higher-ish wage, you have the option of being a Call Cener CM. They have the same rights and access as other CMs, and can even pick up shifts in the parks (though msot rarely do, and are clueless as has to do so).

You need experience in sales or phone sales or something, but they will hire you on the spot, but you can make $15-20 an hour.

They're technically "clerical" staff i think, which is somewhere midway between "frontline" and "professional."

typhoonguy

If you want to start at a higher-ish wage, you have the option of being a Call Cener CM. They have the same rights and access as other CMs, and can even pick up shifts in the parks (though msot rarely do, and are clueless as has to do so).

You need experience in sales or phone sales or something, but they will hire you on the spot, but you can make $15-20 an hour.

They're technically "clerical" staff i think, which is somewhere midway between "frontline" and "professional."
Merf, if you're speaking of the Reservation Center, they usually start out in the neighborhood of 10-12, but do make bonuses too. They're considered O&T, so you get the benefits that come along with that. And actually LOTS of DRC Cast Members pick up OT. LOTS.

ryguy

where is the call center? For some reason I thought it was in the Tampa area. I dont why I think that, someone must have told me it was over there. :hammer:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
where is the call center? For some reason I thought it was in the Tampa area. I dont why I think that, someone must have told me it was over there. :hammer:
They have one there too... there's more than one call center ;)

DARREN DOOZER

Original Poster
You guys are great and have really given me stuff to think about. I do think that alot of the replies have come from the U.S though you guys have no idea how lucky you are. The cost of living in the U.S is nearly half that of in U.K I have a four bedroom house in the U.K in a small seaside town on the southcoast & it is probably worth about $500,000 that may sound alot but in the U.K the average house price is near to $400,00. Add in the cost of fuel which is at least half the amount as in the U.k and also cars etc which when I went in August they seem to be giving away at the moment & it can sway me in the Disney direction

WDWparadetech1

and that's with a fair bit of overtime I'm assuming.... ;)

Your correct, about 32 hours overtime. But my standard yearly amount is around $38,000. I own my own house and its paid for already. My parents bought it for me when i moved out. It was there way of saying goodbye.

WDWCMAmanda

Ok as a cast member I have to be very careful about how I respond to this thread but I do want to respond.
I moved my entire life down here to work for Disney.
Once I made the decision I only had two weeks to quit my job, find a place to live, pack, say goodbye to my life for the past 23 years, and get down here.
That was almost 2 years ago...and I've never looked back.
The difference with me is that I didn't have any ties, no husband, no kids, no nothing....just me.
Yeah sure it was hard to say goodbye to everyone but this is something that I'd always wanted to do...
I won't lie....I have to work a LOT of hours to make ends meet but the most important thing is...I don't look at Disney as a job....
if you do that you'll never make it...
Disney is a passion...I don't work here for the pay check:sohappy:

DARREN DOOZER

Original Poster
Incidentally, what's the deal with visas etc. if you want to move from the UK to live and work in Florida?

I havent even got that far yet it will probably be something I never do untill I retire then wonder why I didnt do it sooner. I have heard that it is reasoanblly straight forward to get this sorted if you have work aranged.

WDWCMAmanda

how right you are but does it ever get too much? I work with the public every day & must say I love making people happy when I serve them & that is what I think would make me happy in disney

It can get to be too much sometimes...but then just go visit the park, or spend some time with a young guest and you'll remember why you're here...
as long as you can keep the pixie dust...
but also remember WDW has 60,000 cast members...it's a HUGE company...
and has the same issues that other large companies do

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom