working in wdw

DARREN DOOZER

Original Poster
Hi

I am sitting here at work a 30 something guy who is married with 2 kids longing for my next trip to disney world. My question is if I gave it all up and left to work in Disney would I hate it & what sort of money would I be earning. I think I would love working in one of the merchandise shops or maybee on the rides. Can you guys help a bored englishman make a descion?

SteveUK

I know it's tempting - but bad idea. I'm not sure what you are earning now, but you will find the salarys quite low at WDW. I would love to do the same thing, but I know the starting salary for the kind of jobs you are looking at would be a huge drop in income, and that's without the hassle and expense of moving.

DARREN DOOZER

Original Poster
Thanks Steveuk

The other thing I keep thinking is how much cheaper the cost of living is in the U.S any ideas what earnings actualy are??

bsandersjr

I heard they don't pay well at all. But you do get great benefits. If I remember correctly, they pay around $7-8/hr, but I could be wrong.

jjgoo

Thanks Steveuk

The other thing I keep thinking is how much cheaper the cost of living is in the U.S any ideas what earnings actualy are??

Darren,
Where in the U.K. are you? If you are living in London with some of the highest real estate costs in the world you might find the cost of living a little bit less. However, basically you will find around any bigger city in the US that the cost of living is pretty high. Working at the parks and earning $7-$8 dollars an hour you will have a very tough time supporting two kids. I'm from the North East US where the cost of living is pretty high and $7 -$8 an hour is just not enough.

I would guess in Orlando to live even a very moderate lifestyle with a family you would need at least $20 an hour and your wife would have to be working too.

I remember seeing articles about the wages at the parks around Orlando you may want to search some of those newspaper websites.

Maybe you can have it as a retirement job? Good luck.

barrie

I've never been one to stay in a job that I hated. I say do what makes you happy and the money will follow. It's a clique, I know, but life is too short to spend the majority of your time doing something that makes you unhappy.

That's not to say that a Disney job is the answer. I suspect that some of the magic may where off if you had to listen to that music everyday and deal with all the guests that are not all that pleasant.

But there must be something that you do love doing. Work less and do what you love. You may have less money but you will be happier which is so much more important.

So, I guess I brought that around full circle... OK, quit your job, head to Orlando and work for Disney!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would love to do the same thing but when I ran the numbers and it just does not work without some serious budget cuts. Both a husband and wife working at the parks would would make about $29k per year before taxes. At the current apartment and house rates in Orlando $12k a year can easily be eaten up in rent alone.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
recent study in Orlando showed that for a person to qualify a 1 bedroom apartment in a "decent" area, that person would need to earn at least $20/hr

Disney pays $6.90 starting for entry level roles, and make it next to impossible to start out in a professional role. Promoting internally is possible, but extremely difficult. I know people who submit a resume (CV) and an application for a new position which they are wholly qualified for... EVERY DAY... and never hear a thing about them.

typhoonguy

I do want to add something here. Yes, front line CMs are probaby not paid enough to sustain the level of living you're used to, and yes, it's tough to get into a salaried position unless you're already in the company. HOWEVER, it's tough not impossible. My suggestion would be get to know someone. ANYONE. A professional recruiter, someone in a role you're interested, a few GMs or VPs. They can help. And a good word is as good as anything here at the World. When I used to be at DTD, 4 people in high-level positions were brought in from outside the company. So it does happen, it's just easier from the inside.

typhoonguy

Hey Rob...You do know that we will be criticized for our comments, well I know I will just because of the fact that I always am when I try to tell people who have never worked at Disney what it's really like.
I don't think criticism will come. I think there may just be a few differences of opinion. Too many people take a difference of opinion as a negative thing. People's experiences differ. For instance, I am someone who was hired into a non-front line position. So I'm just here to point out, that although it doesn't happen a lot, it does happen.

CMSomeday

As many of us have considered Disney employment, I completely understand the temptation and have considered it myself, but my wife and I have 2 very solid healthcare jobs and could not live on Disney pay alone.

Our only realistic consideration (and perhaps an option for you) before retirement would be to move to Orlando in a similar paying job that you have now, full-time or perhaps part-time, and then get a part-time Disney job for the happiness factor. Maybe once on board you can get to know some people that give you a break at a better position within Disney and sooner or later you could taper off your initial career path. If not, at least your immersed in Disney part-time. Something to consider...

typhoonguy

As many of us have considered Disney employment, I completely understand the temptation and have considered it myself, but my wife and I have 2 very solid healthcare jobs and could not live on Disney pay alone.

Our only realistic consideration (and perhaps an option for you) before retirement would be to move to Orlando in a similar paying job that you have now, full-time or perhaps part-time, and then get a part-time Disney job for the happiness factor. Maybe once on board you can get to know some people that give you a break at a better position within Disney and sooner or later you could taper off your initial career path. If not, at least your immersed in Disney part-time. Something to consider...
totally agree

MM Princess

I would suggest visiting http://www.stupidguesttricks.com. That will give you a little insight to the life of a Cast Member.

Readers following the link be advised: This forum is not a guest or fan forum. It is a forum for CM's to blow off steam and discuss work issues, so if you don't want to hear about the realities of working in a theme park, don't read.

SteveUK

I would also suggest that part of the reason you love WDW is the fact that is provides a welcome break from the dull job. It is a holiday and gives the good feelings associated with that. I think that would be eroded if you worked there. I have however looked into working in a different industry, with more realistic wages, but nearer to WDW so that I could visit more often and still afford a comfortable lifestyle on a good wage.

I am looking into that option quite seriously at the moment, but am just struggling with jobs, as to work in the US would require extra training etc as most of my qualifications wouldn't be specifically relevant there and I would need extra training, which would factor into the cost of relocating.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I've looked at working at WDW and in my case the only viable way I could do so and still feed myself and take care of my responsibilities is to wait until I retire [in 13 years].

I'll then be positioned to work seasonally in WDW. My house here will be paid for, my son will have graduated from University [if he goes] debt-free and I'll have sufficient pension income to live on.

I would try to get seasonal work in the Canada Pavilion at EPCOT, but I'd take anything they'd be prepared to give.

Another option would be to win millions in the lottery, but chances are I'd just have lots of trips down...

StitchFan21

I worked for WDW for $6.25 an hour and survived. I just got married and can't wait to move to Orlando to work for the Mouse. It is possible but you HAVE TO BUDGET.It is just the 2 of us, so I know it is easier for us.

GOOD LUCK

niteobsrvr

What about the Disney Bus Drivers? I thought they make slighlty more?

About 9.25 an hour and you max out at about 14.00. Don't forget the cost of housing. Median home price is around 230 grand. Cheaper housing is mostly in neighborhoods many folks would nto live in. Apartment occupancy is 97% with rents around 800 for a one bedroom. It can take several months to find a vacancy

If you have a spouse and 2 teenage children whom you can put to work, scraping by might be possible.

Moral of the stoy: If you want to work for the Mouse, you might want to consider it a part time job while working full time elsewhere in a professional or semi professional field. Wages here have not been able to keep up with the cost of lving especially in the service industry.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
My plan is to retire in 15 years and work seasonally for the mouse. Have not even looked into it, but I am going to look into how long our DVC points would get us in at Ft. Wilderness. By that time we likely will have a RV. Dont know if you can even use DVC points at FW like you can at other resorts...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom