Workers want pay boost

dstrawn9889

no kid thats my chocolate chicken pot pie.... BBBBuuuuttttt ms struthers
images

BuddyThomas

People studied the arts before there was public funding and if you cut it off people attracted to the arts will STILL study them however in this case instead of a Arts degree meaning that you had a 4 year party, It will mean you are TRULY dedicated to the arts and were willing to sacrifice to do so.
I take personal offense to this. I majored in the "arts" and it was far from a four year party. I would not have been able to do so if not for federal loans and financial aid. I come from a family that was dirt poor. If I had not received the aid that I did, I would not be where I am today and would most likely instead be one of the minimum wage workers being demonized on this very thread.

The Crafty Veteran

Actually, what if the WDW going demographic stood up for the underpaid cast member and picketed for them in a show of solidarity? The people criticizing in this thread could put their money where their mouth is and lead by example and be the first ones in sandwich boards. Disney corporate would notice that.

Goofyernmost

Actually, what if the WDW going demographic stood up for the underpaid cast member and picketed for them in a show of solidarity? The people criticizing in this thread could put their money where their mouth is and lead by example and be the first ones in sandwich boards. Disney corporate would notice that.
If all it took was solidarity, they could do that on their own. WDW would come to a complete standstill without the CM's.

BigTxEars

34tbdp3.jpg

I wanna carry a sign, I don't look good in boards :)

The Crafty Veteran

If all it took was solidarity, they could do that on their own. WDW would come to a complete standstill without the CM's.

I read about a strike at Disneyland that was supposed to cause a standstill and Disneyland never closed. I think the people in charge would stiff the CM violently. This cause would need WDW money spending public support.

Goofyernmost

I read about a strike at Disneyland that was supposed to cause a standstill and Disneyland never closed. I think the people in charge would stiff the CM violently. This cause would need WDW money spending public support.
Not without a very large number of CM's not joining in. Management doesn't even know where the entrance is, much less how to operate the place. That's why I said solidarity was absolutely necessary to make it work, but, with that, they can succeed on their own.

The Crafty Veteran

34tbdp3.jpg

I wanna carry a sign, I don't look good in boards :)

Good stuff here. I read a book about this strike, the union representing the disposible cast members, the servers, bus drivers, popped all this garbage in their heads about how they were the reason for Disneylands success and of course believed it, and asked for more money and other benefits. Disney said no and eventually broke their spirit. The book was a great read, I have to find it.

Belowthesurface

Too many people depend on WDW jobs to ever walk out. There are so many Haitian Cast that only work at WDW so they can send money back home to their families. Just think about that for a moment-- low wage jobs by the 1,000s so what little is made can be sent to others to prosper.

In my opinion, the attitude towards the Union at WDW is "what have you ever done to help us?"

Goofyernmost

There's a No Strike No Lockout agreement in the cast member union contract.
In that case, it's an absolutely useless piece of paper and certainly a waste of union dues. Whoever, agreed to that was having a bad day. Disney couldn't lock out the CM's without locking out the paying customers. Can't see them doing that can you? To bad, not much that can be done except maybe illness call in's. Still needs everyone to agree with it though.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I take personal offense to this. I majored in the "arts" and it was far from a four year party. I would not have been able to do so if not for federal loans and financial aid. I come from a family that was dirt poor. If I had not received the aid that I did, I would not be where I am today and would most likely instead be one of the minimum wage workers being demonized on this very thread.
With an "arts" degree, you are lucky if you are not.

(before you get upset, it's a joke)

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Too many people depend on WDW jobs to ever walk out. There are so many Haitian Cast that only work at WDW so they can send money back home to their families. Just think about that for a moment-- low wage jobs by the 1,000s so what little is made can be sent to others to prosper.

In my opinion, the attitude towards the Union at WDW is "what have you ever done to help us?"
And, that's a valid question from the organizations viewpoint.

slappy magoo

More or less how every business feels, as the union is supposed to be there to protect workers from being exploited, overworked without a break, underpaid with an insistence to get stuff done "off the clock," etc. versus working for the businesses themselves.

bubba2u

In that case, it's an absolutely useless piece of paper and certainly a waste of union dues. Whoever, agreed to that was having a bad day. Disney couldn't lock out the CM's without locking out the paying customers. Can't see them doing that can you? To bad, not much that can be done except maybe illness call in's. Still needs everyone to agree with it though.

Education Alert! After reading all 50 pages I am saddened that many of our neighbors are so uneducated as to what a Union is. What can you expect as they have taken education about unions out of the school systems. Every Union contract has this language. When the Workers vote the contract in they agree on wages and many other things including that while the agreement in is affect they will not strike. You can only legally strike a company if the contract is expired.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom