Workers want pay boost

slappy magoo

Well, YOU wanted it to live on for posterity. I know you wrote "prosperity," but I also know what you meant. I'm just trying to help.

Unless you DID want it to live on in "prosperity." In which case I think I deserve a cut, if you figured out a way to monetize it. Based on your business acumen I'm sure our little venture will make unprecedented gains in...oh, we're bankrupt already? Good think we didn't hire anybody else. You might have had to pay them!

Sorry for assuming you meant posterity.

Here’s an idea. Instead of our impotent government mandating an increase in the minimum wage (which will do nothing but increase the amount of crumbs a family is allotted), why don’t they figure out how to get the economy going to where it creates jobs which in turn will ultimately increase incomes due to supply and demand. Did any of the imbeciles running this government even take Econ 101?

slappy magoo

Here’s an idea. Instead of our impotent government mandating an increase in the minimum wage (which will do nothing but increase the amount of crumbs a family is allotted), why don’t they figure out how to get the economy going to where it creates jobs which in turn will ultimately increase incomes due to supply and demand. Did any of the imbeciles running this government even take Econ 101?
I know you'd enjoy it a lot more if people took you seriously. Patience. Someone just might.

Nubs70

Slappy - most companies want happy workers, most companies want their employees to have good lives. So why hasn't this living wage theory played out in the open market? Why haven't good willed individuals who lead companies or their own companies practiced what you preached?

Why is it companies that are known for paying their employees well, and offer good benefits, still pay people wages that you would not meet your 'livable wage' standards?

You've said if a company can't do this.. their business was flawed in the first place. You've painted the problem as simply a moral one.. and not one of practical constraints.

So why hasn't this taken off in the open market? Do you suggest that all business owners are morally corrupt? Or that all businesses are flawed?

I'd love to hear why you think these principles have not been put into use.
Bankruptcy gives no credit to good intentions.

Only kids or losers work for minimum wage. Shoot, even our babysitter gets $10.00 an hour and I would bet that Disney pays well over $7.25 an hour and if not, they are giving great benefits. This thread should be flushed down the toilet just like the idiot recommending this mandate.

slappy magoo

Only kids or losers work for minimum wage. Shoot, even our babysitter gets $10.00 an hour and I would bet that Disney pays well over $7.25 an hour and if not, they are giving great benefits. This thread should be flushed down the toilet just like the idiot recommending this mandate.
I'm assuming what comes next is the suggestion of slicing off of fat from poor people suffering from Type 2 Diabetes and using the blubber as an inexpensive heating element for people who can't afford their utilities? ? I mean, if you want to play this part, play it to the hilt, Preston, don't half-keister it.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
You're really making it hard to differentiate.....

Do any of you really know one person that makes minimum wage (other than a kid)? Is there one CM on here that can confirm that Disney pays less than $10 an hour? The minimum wage argument is a farce and it is only being introduced to hide the real issue which is poor job creation and a weak economy.

Last edited:

CDavid

Do any of you really know one person that makes minimum wage (other than a kid)? Is there one CM on here that can confirm that Disney pays less than $10 an hour? The minimum wage argument is a farce and it is only being introduced to hide the real issue which is job creation and a weak economy.

Both Disney's wage scales - indeed, below $10 - and that list of "great benefits" you alluded to (which aren't so good after all) were listed earlier in the thread.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Do any of you really know one person that makes minimum wage (other than a kid)? Is there one CM on here that can confirm that Disney pays less than $10 an hour? The minimum wage argument is a farce and it is only being introduced to hide the real issue which is job creation and a weak economy.

There are a ton of jobs under $10 with many just above minimum wage. I think FL minimum wage went up to $7.93 this year, but lots between that and $10.

The salary info starts around page 50 in the link below.

If anyone wants to see the current pay rates, look at the current contract starting on page 50. There is a lot different classifications and pay rates

http://local385.org/characters/Final FT STCU (Not Bold).pdf

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Ok, I am going to call this match. 36 rounds is enough. Flynnibus wins. Slappy put up a good fight but in the end showed his ideology is flawed and turns states into Maryland, California, and New York. Sorry, but it is true. Maybe you have good intentions but reality is not with you on this one...the end.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ok, I am going to call this match. 36 rounds is enough. Flynnibus wins. Slappy put up a good fight but in the end showed his ideology is flawed and turns states into Maryland, California, and New York. Sorry, but it is true. Maybe you have good intentions but reality is not with you on this one...the end.
I think it would have been more like 50 pages but Mom had to clean up some of the mess.

CDavid

The work has already been done and it shows that my $25/hour figure is probably still too low. For the third time now, MIT Living Wage Calculator.

According to the MIT wage calculator, the living wage for Orange County, Florida is $10.57.

As ford91exploder noted, the minimum wage is designed to support one adult within reason. You could never allow for every circumstance anyway. If you find yourself a single parent or with a spouse who is unemployed or whatever else then you are going to need some help (public assistance). That's why such programs exist. But every low income worker should not have to depend on such assistance as a routine matter; They should be able to earn their own way in life, and it is reasonable to have wages which support that.

Any increase in the minimum wage is not the sole solution. Among many other things is a need for more reasonably priced housing, or policies which make it easier for low income workers to earn additional income (second job, etc.), thus increasing their standard of living while reducing reliance on public assistance.

slappy magoo

As opposed to Arizona, West Virginia and Texas? I actually accept your comparison. Thanks.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
According to the MIT wage calculator, the living wage for Orange County, Florida is $10.57.

As ford91exploder noted, the minimum wage is designed to support one adult within reason. You could never allow for every circumstance anyway. If you find yourself a single parent or with a spouse who is unemployed or whatever else then you are going to need some help (public assistance). That's why such programs exist. But every low income worker should not have to depend on such assistance as a routine matter; They should be able to earn their own way in life, and it is reasonable to have wages which support that.

Any increase in the minimum wage is not the sole solution. Among many other things is a need for more reasonably priced housing, or policies which make it easier for low income workers to earn additional income (second job, etc.), thus increasing their standard of living while reducing reliance on public assistance.
@Andrew C I think you called it too soon. This post is the winner.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom