Work Tractor Collides with Monorail Lime

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
well.. you also have the physical location of the pickups to deal with.. and if both rails are equally capable, etc. In model trains we don't have those problems :)

That's true - I wonder whether powering the trains with 600 volts would keep peoples fingers off the rails :), You would need a really good PWM system to run the 12 volt motors with it though...

Just Kidding about the 600 VDC power that would be really unsafe the way most model railroads are wired...

dstrawn9889

LOLZ... anyway back to the two car paint booth --- false, they would have to disassemble each train to repaint, and they(monorails of this design) do not work in pieces, most definitely NOT a model train in that respect.

Disvillain63

This is monorail lime (note the white "delta" under the window between the passenger doors):

disney-monorail-green-1.jpg

This is monorail green (limey color, but no deltas):

3791303.jpg

Color wise, they are very hard to distinguish unless you see them next to each other like this, unless you look for the deltas.
Now that I see the deltas, they are quite obvious...never really paid attention. It was green, not lime, that we saw.

Figment2005

LOLZ... anyway back to the two car paint booth --- false, they would have to disassemble each train to repaint, and they(monorails of this design) do not work in pieces, most definitely NOT a model train in that respect.
Actually that part I was correct on. The paint booth is at the entrance of the maintenance beam, and only part of the train is inside it. Most of the train is outside the booth.

Goofyernmost

Actually that part I was correct on. The paint booth is at the entrance of the maintenance beam, and only part of the train is inside it. Most of the train is outside the booth.
Didn't you state before that there was room for two trains in the booth? If so why would only part of the train be inside it?

peachykeen

The paint booth on Beam 10 is located at the entrance-end of Shop. If a train were pulled all the way into Shop, Car 1 would be in the paint booth, with the rest of the train farther into Shop. Normally they paint Car 1, then pull the train out, then paint car 2, etc. This is how pictures of Teal/Peach and the "wrapped" Monorails got out, since the freshly painted sections are pulled outside to bring the next car into the paint section. Once Car 6 is being painted, 5 cars are outside the Shop.

You can sort of see what I mean here, a few pictures down are photos of Peach as it was being painted and pulled out.

http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/monorail.htm

I've pulled several trains out of shop from Beam 10, it's always fun to go into the paint booth.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They used to sell LGB products.

I cannot think of anything more quintessentially GERMAN than LGB trains and you are correct I have not seen them recently but there is not much in the german pavillion for sale these days other than glass and with cats that's a non starter...

Goofyernmost

Maybe I missed somewhere, but, I was of the belief that the Monorail trains are capable of running in either direction, hence the cabs front and back. And wasn't the big accident on the 4th of July a couple of years back, caused by one train "backing" into another? If so why are we talking about having to turn the trains around?

Considering that wouldn't they be alternating direct just about every day, since they cannot turn around after leaving the barn? I always assumed that is what happened on a daily basis.

Monorail_Red

I always assumed that is what happened on a daily basis.
Yep, usually each cab is used a few times per day. If you bring a train out of shop, you're in cab 1. If you bring a train into shop, you're in cab 6. If you're driving Epcot or Express, you're in cab 1. If you're driving resorts, you're in cab 6. If you bring a resort train to shop, you switch to cab 1 at the Contemporary, then switch back to cab 6 after going through the switch and ending up at the MK. From there its cab 6 all the way back to shop. Really the only time you move the train in the opposite direction of which cab you're in is to re-align your stop if you over-shoot the station, and in that scenario you have an observer on the ground or at the station or other location to verify beamway behind the train is clear before reversing. The name of the game is operating the train from the same cab as the direction of travel.

monorail81

Yep, usually each cab is used a few times per day. If you bring a train out of shop, you're in cab 1. If you bring a train into shop, you're in cab 6. If you're driving Epcot or Express, you're in cab 1. If you're driving resorts, you're in cab 6. If you bring a resort train to shop, you switch to cab 1 at the Contemporary, then switch back to cab 6 after going through the switch and ending up at the MK. From there its cab 6 all the way back to shop. Really the only time you move the train in the opposite direction of which cab you're in is to re-align your stop if you over-shoot the station, and in that scenario you have an observer on the ground or at the station or other location to verify beamway behind the train is clear before reversing. The name of the game is operating the train from the same cab as the direction of travel.

Unless you are one of the good pilots from pre-2009 who were allowed to back a train onto Shop...

Monorail_Red

Unless you are one of the good pilots from pre-2009 who were allowed to back a train onto Shop...
I was post 2009. But was still a good pilot like many of the other post 2009 pilots! :) Only thrill I was able to experience was taking an Epcot train to shop, cab 6 from concourse in reverse past switchbeam 9 with back cab observer...

lazyboy97o

Maybe I missed somewhere, but, I was of the belief that the Monorail trains are capable of running in either direction, hence the cabs front and back. And wasn't the big accident on the 4th of July a couple of years back, caused by one train "backing" into another? If so why are we talking about having to turn the trains around?

Considering that wouldn't they be alternating direct just about every day, since they cannot turn around after leaving the barn? I always assumed that is what happened on a daily basis.
Because there were questions as to how Monorail Lime was able to get back to the barn since Cab 6, the one hit by the tractor, is the cab used to drive to the barn.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom